Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

even if the JP36 isn't as bad as it used to be, you're thoroughly out of your mind if you think the 23 damage it had on release was "never bad". don't even try to convince me otherwise

You could get it to 32 IIRC, which was sufficient. It was still admittedly among the weakest of assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ace Cat Burglar does have a use on higher difficulties if you're in the habit of shooting civilians before going into custody! :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dr Cheeto posted:

Cat Burglar ace does "reduce custody time by 50%," which I'm pretty sure only applies on very low difficulties where the cops will just let you go after a timer expires without trading hostages.

Nah, it also reduces the time before you can be traded by half too, down to 5 whole seconds if you manage to not "accidentally" kill every civilian on the map.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Geight posted:

e: Nvm, I may have misunderstood a skill.

Does Ace Tough Guy increase your time to custody, or the amount of damage you can take before you can't fight back while downed?

Aced tough guy should give you infinite health while downed. And even then, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Original idea for my patented Death-Jitsu difficulty rebalance. Do not steal.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think adding a Swan Song Lite that low in a skill tree would actually be too good.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Aced tough guy should give you infinite health while downed. And even then, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Original idea for my patented Death-Jitsu difficulty rebalance. Do not steal.

Cap damage from explosive sources a la Cat Burglar. Walk through tripmines and eat grenades without giving a single gently caress. :getin:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

isndl posted:

Cap damage from explosive sources a la Cat Burglar. Walk through tripmines and eat grenades without giving a single gently caress. :getin:

You get the hell out :argh:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Today's the first time somebody was happy I blew up the lab in Rats. Myself and another 25-100 joined some low level pub hosting a pro Rats DW and we both made fun of him for bringing ECMs. His build wasn't amiss, so he wasn't just unlocking every skill and bringing ECMs for some stupid reason. Host went AFK while we were in the middle of the first cook and then the assault wave just mysteriously died all at once. When asked if he was cheating, the host responded that he was glad to have a whole lobby of cheaters. So I put in the wrong ingredient, insulted him some more and we both left. The guy probably has infinite offshore but it was fun to gently caress with him.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You could get it to 32 IIRC, which was sufficient. It was still admittedly among the weakest of assault rifles.

It was DW viable before but you were handicapping yourself immensely. It's a lot more DW viable now, but the nerfed Clarion and Commando are still better. The unique boosts that the Clarion can have give it a lot more versatility in build options, and the Commando is still better simply because its lightning faster reload speed compliments the spammy, low accuracy nature of the gun. Too bad the Commando and Clarion don't have any dope rear end ASSAULT IN PROGRESS skins. :v:

isndl posted:

But then how can I troll assholes with the RPG?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

isndl posted:

New idea, aced tough guy gives you x% damage reduction. 5? 10? Something like that.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Drewjitsu posted:

New idea, aced tough guy gives you x% damage reduction. 5? 10? Something like that.

Because we really need help with survivability at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What they need is a carcano bolt action sniper that shoots up to 4 cops at once.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Because we really need help with survivability at this point.

True, but still, how do you make aced tough guy worth a poo poo?

Although I realize there are a ton of lovely skills that need some attention.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
moving target gives dodge while moving and additional dodge while sprinting for the ace

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

This really is the golden question. My argument is that there's clearly a bunch of code lying around to tweak various player/weapon stats, and that the bad perks could get turned into buffs for this or that, alongside some reshuffling. Ghost gets a skill that lowers the concealment on all weapons by X, Technician gets a reload speed bonus on "heavy weapons," etc.

E:

Afraid of Audio posted:

moving target gives dodge while moving and additional dodge while sprinting for the ace

The massive, massive problem with Moving Target is that you stop sprinting when you change directions. If you could just hold down shift and sprint all the time, it might be a decent skill. But maybe not even then. How often do you need to sprint backwards, especially without run 'n gun?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
2016 better be the return of The Elephant with a mission to kill Not Trump so the Elephant can become President. He didn't come all this way just for some old rich racist to steal his work and power from him, and with his unfortunate demise, he'll become the perfect martyr for the Right Candidate to ascend to the White House.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crabtree posted:

2016 better be the return of The Elephant with a mission to kill Not Trump so the Elephant can become President. He didn't come all this way just for some old rich racist to steal his work and power from him, and with his unfortunate demise, he'll become the perfect martyr for the Right Candidate to ascend to the White House.

I enjoyed the elephant missions and I'd like to see him come back.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grapplejack posted:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Grapplejack posted:

Yes please. Have him hold one of these on his action-oriented return trip.

For reference, it's a Micro Uzi with 80s Calling, the Raptor Polymer Body, the AK Quadstack, and Werbell's Suppressor. Could also use the Mark 10, maybe the CMP.

And also on the topic of good ARs, here is best cyka blyat ar

Which is basically a very very heavily modified AUG. Scope needs to split, as well as any sights besides iron.

Fake Edit Maybe: Also I think I need new GoonMod overrides because I forgot where they were and cannot currently paint my disgusting guns with a disgusting color.

widespread fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 3, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Put shotgun slugs in every gun for extra fun. Or a drum magazine on a mosconi.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The massive, massive problem with Moving Target is that you stop sprinting when you change directions. If you could just hold down shift and sprint all the time, it might be a decent skill. But maybe not even then. How often do you need to sprint backwards, especially without run 'n gun?

that would make for a fine lower tier skill but as is im not going to spend 12 points on that poo poo, even if it was continuous movement

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

A minigun with HE rounds. :getin:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Grapplejack posted:

A Dog Whistle is a useful tool in the game of politics, but a whistle that goes against the will of its master is no longer an asset -- it is a nuisance that unfortunately must be removed. Senator Simmons is the the right choice for America and must win the election without destroying the Republican Party. So he'd like his friends in D.C. to show our great nation what kind of man his rival, Ronald Crumb, really is. He is an arrogant old rich boy who thinks he can flaunt his father's money with an extravagant campaign fundraiser in the territory of the Payday Gang itself without a care in the world that something could go wrong. The police and Blackwater will make a show of force, including Commissioner Garret and Mayor McKendrick attending as guests of honor.

It's time for both of our enemies to learn how dangerous D.C. can get.

Like any Elephant Job it can be completed through stealth and going loud. Stealth involves quietly killing Not Trump via making him get a little too tipsy like the the VIP in Golden Grin until he makes his way up to his private room so he can be given a slight push over the railing to make his death look like an unfortunate accident. Giving him the right heavy drinks and not disturbing the party is the key to ghosting the event. However, going loud not only involves a heavy assault to take Crumb hostage and escape with him intact, it adds an extra day to the mix where you make sure Crumb dies in a failed rescue attempt by the Payday Task Force. Killing him anytime during the hack of his personal several billion dollar account is all it takes to allow the job to be successful, but there is an achievement to make sure that Captain Winters himself is the one who kills him. It'll add an extra ending voice over to play where the Elephant is laughing as he watches the news blaming every part of the current administration for Crumb's tragic death.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 3, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drewjitsu posted:

Ideas that immediately come to mind:

1) Actually have it grant an extra 10 seconds of bleed out time rather than the weird wonky bonus health thing that pretty much never matters. It's not a huge, top-tier mega bonus that you'd stick into every build, but I could see it being a good QoL skill for new players, would lightly synergize with stuff like Pistol Messiah, and wouldn't be out of place for Enforcers that run off solo to lock down an entire fourth of the map singlehandedly.

2) Allows you to crawl while incapacitated, with Cloakers and Tasers likely bypassing it like they do all the other rules. Basically a budget Swan Song. Kind of toes the line of being so good it's effectively mandatory, though.

3) In my old skill revamp, I actually upgraded it into the full blown effect of keeping you from ever being fully incapacitated upon death, following the theme of the Enforcer class being all tanky and berserkery. Your aim is still hosed, you can't move, and you don't have infinite ammo like with Swan Song, but you can stubbornly clear out whatever clusterfuck you went down in the middle of while you wait for help.

But as usual for a Tier 3 skill, nailing the balance between "good enough to dip into the class for if you really want" and "100% mandatory for any build" is tough. Of course I'm also probably more okay with buffing truly worthless skills up to simply okay or situational ones compared to everyone else.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 3, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Concordat posted:

Put shotgun slugs in every gun for extra fun. Or a drum magazine on a mosconi.

I will tell you right now that the drum mag won't show up. Also you'd want a quadstacked mag or some large magazine to have your entire ammo in your gun already.

HOWEVER, to make up the lack of visible drum mag on Mosconi, I present to you a gift from a lord. He helps some Empire or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

widespread posted:

I will tell you right now that the drum mag won't show up. Also you'd want a quadstacked mag or some large magazine to have your entire ammo in your gun already.

HOWEVER, to make up the lack of visible drum mag on Mosconi, I present to you a gift from a lord. He helps some Empire or something.

Do you jam that up the cops' asses or just Houston's?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Like any Elephant Job it can be completed through stealth and going loud. Stealth involves quietly killing Not Trump via making him get a little too tipsy like the the VIP in Golden Grin until he makes his way up to his private room so he can be given a slight push over the railing to make his death look like an unfortunate accident. Giving him the right heavy drinks and not disturbing the party is the key to ghosting the event. However, going loud not only involves a heavy assault to take Crumb hostage and escape with him intact, it adds an extra day to the mix where you make sure Crumb dies in a failed rescue attempt by the Payday Task Force. Killing him anytime during the hack of his personal several billion dollar account is all it takes to allow the job to be successful, but there is an achievement to make sure that Captain Winters himself is the one who kills him. It'll add an extra ending voice over to play where the Elephant is laughing as he watches the news blaming every part of the current administration for Crumb's tragic death.

I like this. It sounds fun, and loud sounds extra fun.

I had thought of a loud elephant heist that centered around how great American Media is where the elephant/a friend gets caught loving someone/embezzling and you have to flood the news until the weekend hits and the scandal can be swept under the rug.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Do you jam that up the cops' asses or just Houston's?

Actually I almost painted it like a wand. Then I would cast Flipendo at the cops and they would be blasted away.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Thank you all for your replies. Masterforcer seems the obvious choice for me.

Weapons would be assault rifle + pistol. Assault rifle (or sniper) because those work pretty well without needing really needing any skills. Pistol because I got plenty of skills for it, as a side effect of unlocking Inspire. There's loads of different pistols to try, so that keeps things varied. I haven't actually looked at at weapon setups yet, but I'm sure I can slap something together that works.

This is what I've figured out for a build, unfortunately I can't make it work till I hit level 88: http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSoLhIjeGBCDa:eropMIjEFgbDa:tda:geCa:pA6::l88:w39-21-7-1:s32-18-36-10:

I had to downgrade Nerves of Steel and Fast Hands to basic. I'd ditch the saw too if I could, but I needed to invest points somewhere to unlock the next tiers.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Drewjitsu posted:

The whole talent system needs rework, probably. You basically have three types of talents: quality of life ones like movespeed buffs, Fast Hands, Transporter, underpriced onepoint wonders like Cleaner, Spotter, Underdog and then the very good, build defining ones like Inspire, ICTV, Swan Song.

Everything else is garbage where you just try to figure out which ones are the least worthless ones on your way to the actual good talents. Best you can hope for if you change Tough Guy is that someone will do a tiny fistpump because they can Ace that instead of Stun Resistance on their way to Iron Man.

For all the freedom the talent system supposedly gives, most of the choices you can make are just wrong and make you a bad player and person.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Puistokemisti posted:

The whole talent system needs rework, probably. You basically have three types of talents: quality of life ones like movespeed buffs, Fast Hands, Transporter, underpriced onepoint wonders like Cleaner, Spotter, Underdog and then the very good, build defining ones like Inspire, ICTV, Swan Song.

Everything else is garbage where you just try to figure out which ones are the least worthless ones on your way to the actual good talents. Best you can hope for if you change Tough Guy is that someone will do a tiny fistpump because they can Ace that instead of Stun Resistance on their way to Iron Man.

For all the freedom the talent system supposedly gives, most of the choices you can make are just wrong and make you a bad player and person.

This would be an issue, if the game was actually challenging.
If you're a poo poo player, good skills won't help you with that. If you're a good player, bad skills won't stop you from being good. Also don't poo poo on Stun Resistance, it is a good QoL skill to have on all builds.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

UnknownMercenary posted:

A minigun with HE rounds. :getin:

:patriot:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

:awesome:

Fly free brave street cop.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

:jackbud:

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I have a thought for tough guy. What if going down made all cops around you panic? It'd give you time to clear out some cops out before going completely down, but it wouldn't render to immune to snipers/turrets and other long range targeting assholes.

Additional random thought: gently caress snipers. Why are they still broken after all this time? Why isn't there a skill to give you sniper damage resistance or something?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

Thank you all for your replies. Masterforcer seems the obvious choice for me.

Weapons would be assault rifle + pistol. Assault rifle (or sniper) because those work pretty well without needing really needing any skills. Pistol because I got plenty of skills for it, as a side effect of unlocking Inspire. There's loads of different pistols to try, so that keeps things varied. I haven't actually looked at at weapon setups yet, but I'm sure I can slap something together that works.

This is what I've figured out for a build, unfortunately I can't make it work till I hit level 88: http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSoLhIjeGBCDa:eropMIjEFgbDa:tda:geCa:pA6::l88:w39-21-7-1:s32-18-36-10:

I had to downgrade Nerves of Steel and Fast Hands to basic. I'd ditch the saw too if I could, but I needed to invest points somewhere to unlock the next tiers.

Your build is about as good as you can make given the constraints of no Infamy discounts. Only tweaks I would make would be to drop Equilibrium to basic as the increased fire rate is useless aside from one specific pistol, and put those points into acing Dominator instead as increased shout range synergizes extremely well with Spotter. You can cut the points in Technician entirely as Inspire covers 90% of what you would normally need to be taking hits to complete (picking people up) though there isn't much to take other than maybe Painkillers and Cleaner.

If you're willing to go with Basic Combat Doctor instead of Ace, it's possible to squeeze Ace Gunslinger into the build. That extra damage could be handy for really opening up your pistol selection.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

when_goons_post_more_about_payday_than_they_play_payday.jpg:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's beautiful. :911:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Why isn't there a skill to give you sniper damage resistance or something?

It's called Iron Man

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

grancheater posted:

It's called Iron Man

I wear ICTV and I still routinely get downed by snipers that haven't appeared on the map yet and have no laser.

Maybe that makes me a bad but its frustrating as hell and its been a problem since Goldfarb still worked on the game. If they aren't gonna fix it at least add a "-20% sniper damage" skill, that's all I'm asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

My biggest problem with the Elephant is that Framing Frame isn't a frame job at all. The Democratic Congressman ACTUALLY did the arms deal and has footage of the whole thing because he's apparently an idiot. We're not framing the guy; we're doing quality investigative journalism here. Also, since most stuff in this game is based on someone/something IRL or in a movie, my pick for who the Democrat is supposed to be is this guy: Leland Yee but I'm not sure the timeframes line up. When'd the Elephant's heists come out?