Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gibbo posted:

Really? I find act 3 the biggest drag

Act 3 got shortened enough that I dont mind it, the vaal sections of 2, the Kaom section of act 4, and Malachi boss fight are probably the worst parts of the game atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Act 3 got shortened enough that I dont mind it, the vaal sections of 2, the Kaom section of act 4, and Malachi boss fight are probably the worst parts of the game atm

Malachai always makes me question why I play this game.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I want to tidy up the builds section of the OP but ascendancy is going to flip the game on its head again, :effort: If anyone has any links to any build guides they've tried that they felt were good I'd be happy to add them to the OP, since right now it basically consists of my best guesses going into this patch.

The ascendancy nodes are really interesting to me because most of them are super powerful. Even if they were to get toned down from the preview numbers, they'd still be a significant power increase. A lot of people think the game is too easy, but I bet the average player barely makes it into maps before finding out their build sucks, getting alt-itis, or just quitting anyway. Makes me wonder what the difficulty of any new content they add is going to be like.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Really? I find act 3 the biggest drag

same, a3 is the worse because of those drat sewers.

J posted:

I want to tidy up the builds section of the OP but ascendancy is going to flip the game on its head again, :effort: If anyone has any links to any build guides they've tried that they felt were good I'd be happy to add them to the OP, since right now it basically consists of my best guesses going into this patch.

The ascendancy nodes are really interesting to me because most of them are super powerful. Even if they were to get toned down from the preview numbers, they'd still be a significant power increase. A lot of people think the game is too easy, but I bet the average player barely makes it into maps before finding out their build sucks, getting alt-itis, or just quitting anyway. Makes me wonder what the difficulty of any new content they add is going to be like.

Pretty much this. Your average player in any game doesn't do much 3rd party browsing so you can imagine how bad it is if you don't look up a guide or ask people their opinions on what they're doing. But I guess with twitch being so popular these days the numbers do dwindle on people left in the dark but it is probably still a good bunch.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 5, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate that Daresso has the best area in Act 4, but I have a tendency to have him drop a spinny sword on me, which will stun me, and then at that exact second he does that teleport attack that does a shitload of damage and stuns me again, still getting murdered by the spinny sword. The only character this didn't happen on was a Sweep Duelist who had like 7k life

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why are you even bothering with merciless daresso?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Skyl3lazer posted:

It used to be longer? :psyduck:

I've only got like 120h to my name so I'm still a baby.

Kaom is my least favourite section too, but act 3 as a whole just makes me go blah.

TheRat posted:

Do people just forego the "endgame" and go straight to maps?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gibbo posted:

It used to be longer? :psyduck:

I've only got like 120h to my name so I'm still a baby.

Kaom is my least favourite section too, but act 3 as a whole just makes me go blah.

Do people just forego the "endgame" and go straight to maps?

Maps are the end game. You do act 4 until you get the skill point then grind dried lakes till you want to do maps.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRat posted:

I always die once to him on every character like that in normal and then cruel. It's starting to get kinda ridiculous

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Holyshoot posted:

Maps are the end game. You do act 4 until you get the skill point then grind dried lakes till you want to do maps.

I get that. I just didn't know what to call Kaom and the whole organs/malachi bullshit after mapping is accessible. "Frivolous repetitive story content"?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I mean I'll go back to do them for the sake of having done them but not until I'm like in the high 80s and they are easy. There's really no point in doing them earlier. At least the reward for clearing Kaom and Daresso is now a rare jewel, which is potentially useful. When it was just Dominus you just got a rare 66 map, which was only good for running on a lower level character.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I always die once to him on every character like that in normal and then cruel. It's starting to get kinda ridiculous

Do you have a decently high cold res when you fight him in lower difficulties? If not, trying bringing a sapphire flask. If you have low hp, low armour AND low cold res you're just going to get buttfucked.

Gibbo posted:

I get that. I just didn't know what to call Kaom and the whole organs/malachi bullshit after mapping is accessible. "Frivolous repetitive story content"?

Completionist/something to test your character with/challenge goal. Most people will grab the final skillpoint in act4 and then grind dried lake/do maps. I killed malachai merciless for the first time ever a couple of days ago, and I've got at least 20 chars above lvl80 since a4 released.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Bluemillion posted:

Oh my god, Dien_Wei has a legacy Facebreaker (More damage than the current version). You need to use that. This update added a bunch of unarmed jewels, too. Look up a facebreaker build and have fun.

Thanks; found a good build thread that fixed some of the survivability problems I had in the past; back to breaking faces :D

Plenty of room to grow as well with some of the new uniques and jewels.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
pre-2.0 Act 3 had a longer, mazier Slums-Warehouses-Marketplace with multiple routes through it and fewer direction prompts. It also had an additional zone between the Warehouse Sewers and the Ebony Barracks, and additional levels in Solaris and Lunaris. The Lunaris waypoint location was not fixed to the staircase. Were there other changes?

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

I just wish I could skip the story completely.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ronya posted:

pre-2.0 Act 3 had a longer, mazier Slums-Warehouses-Marketplace with multiple routes through it and fewer direction prompts. It also had an additional zone between the Warehouse Sewers and the Ebony Barracks, and additional levels in Solaris and Lunaris. The Lunaris waypoint location was not fixed to the staircase. Were there other changes?

Solaris was mazier too, to the point where I think I cleared it without backtracking maybe 2-3% of the time. Clarissa was in Slums, so occasionally you'd run into Crematorium first; she actually has dialogue for if you 'kill' Piety before talking to her.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRat posted:

Do you have a decently high cold res when you fight him in lower difficulties? If not, trying bringing a sapphire flask. If you have low hp, low armour AND low cold res you're just going to get buttfucked.

I always fight him res capped

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the trick with the bosses is to mob them in a public group

a lot of them force you to dodge stuff, or deal with adds - in a group, other people can keep chipping away even whilst one or two people have to stop to move

the only exception thus far is merry-go-round Piety

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

vOv posted:

Solaris was mazier too, to the point where I think I cleared it without backtracking maybe 2-3% of the time. Clarissa was in Slums, so occasionally you'd run into Crematorium first; she actually has dialogue for if you 'kill' Piety before talking to her.

that makes the "get all dialogue" achievement a total hassle btw, I don't even know how you can stumble on this nowadays since she literally is in the way to Sarn

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

The Real Foogla posted:

that makes the "get all dialogue" achievement a total hassle btw, I don't even know how you can stumble on this nowadays since she literally is in the way to Sarn

Is there any helper which can be used to show which dialogue options are missing? Without that this really seems like a chore.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kaaj posted:

Is there any helper which can be used to show which dialogue options are missing? Without that this really seems like a chore.

nope, and I gave up when I saw that

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think a 6-link Cherrubimīs Maleficence is worth in Talisman Softcore?
Not that i intend to sell it right now, but i cant even hazard a guess.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What do you guys think a 6-link Cherrubimīs Maleficence is worth in Talisman Softcore?
Not that i intend to sell it right now, but i cant even hazard a guess.

Rare 6 links start out at 10ex and go up depending on their stats. So I'd say 15ex baseline and then depending on how popular the build that uses that is it would go up.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1551608

They just revealed the new Ice Trap skill, as well as a Cluster Trap Support gem. I'm wondering if cluster trap stacks with multiple traps.

Answered by Rory:

"Multiple traps will add extra traps to the Cluster Trap, meaning you'll throw 7 traps total in the cluster trap random radius.

We're still looking at Multiple Traps, and will improve the behaviour if we can!"

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 5, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ok, about a week ago some people from the guild threw me some of the spare talismans to run down for rigwald sets. One guy in particular, whose name I cannot remember, gave me a bunch of ilvl 78+ talismans. Well, I have a set for a level 80 rigwald and I need you to get in the drat game so we can run it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

funmanguy posted:

Ok, about a week ago some people from the guild threw me some of the spare talismans to run down for rigwald sets. One guy in particular, whose name I cannot remember, gave me a bunch of ilvl 78+ talismans. Well, I have a set for a level 80 rigwald and I need you to get in the drat game so we can run it.
Wasn't me, I tossed you like 40-something but they were all low-level trash :v:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

funmanguy posted:

If you have an extra spot I'd love to join you/buy my way in.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

funmanguy posted:

Got ahold of you ingame.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Poison trapper is officially insane. I got Atziri to 40% with 2600hp, ~65% resistances and no topaz or ruby flasks at level 76. I accidentally enraged vaal and died three times to him because his loving ball lightning would stunfuck me. I inherited the instance so I only got 5 portals total.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
http://oddshot.tv/shot/etup-201601061144632

etup just rolled over a 500es 102 life titanium.

https://gyazo.com/477579bb76f870aeeb5ddca2475cf22f

Rip

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Why does nobody use Mind over Matter? It seems that would be ridiculous with everyone focusing on stacking as much life as possible.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1551608

They just revealed the new Ice Trap skill, as well as a Cluster Trap Support gem. I'm wondering if cluster trap stacks with multiple traps.

Answered by Rory:

"Multiple traps will add extra traps to the Cluster Trap, meaning you'll throw 7 traps total in the cluster trap random radius.

We're still looking at Multiple Traps, and will improve the behaviour if we can!"

Definitely going to be doing a tri-ele trapper in new patch but might have to drop the EE dream since it does more than one hit

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Xequecal posted:

Why does nobody use Mind over Matter? It seems that would be ridiculous with everyone focusing on stacking as much life as possible.

People definitely do use it. I'm using it on my current build in fact. That said its not as crazy as it used to be a few patches ago before the EB changes. Still, the MoM/EB/ZO combo is like the caster defense setup.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Xequecal posted:

Like Voltron said, it's used in the EB/MoM/ZO combo so that you can reserve all of your mana with auras and still get the use of MoM. MoM by itself is not used as often because you often gain far more by using most of your mana for auras.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Dumb question, how does xp gain work on your gems? Is it based on the exp YOU get, or on the level of monsters you're fighting compared to the gem level? I grabbed a couple low level gems to work on and they seem to be going really slowly even though I'm in merciless act 3 and these gems are like, level 5.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gems always get full xp of the zone, regardless of your or their level.

E: Having said that, gems only get 10% of the xp you do.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Okay, so just do whatever gets ME the most exp. Thanks.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay, so just do whatever gets ME the most exp. Thanks.

Well technically no. If you're just leveling gems and don't care about your own exp you want to do whatever would be the highest raw XP per hour ignoring the level penalty. Gems gain 10% of the exp you would get before any level penalty is applied. This often means whatever gets you the most xp, but also means even if you are very high level you can annihilate a zone like Dried Lake incredibly fast and get great gem XP even though you're getting nearly zero yourself.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The classic gem-levelling trick used to be to run a bunch of Coward's Trials, but that was before dried lake existed so that might be just as efficient these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
All I'm saying is that this loving Empower takes forever to level and I've got it at like 13% qual and in a Haku 6% weapon.

loving Empower :mad:

• Locked thread