Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Victor Vermis posted:

Back on track while sticking with the tangent. Semi-idiot story:

They stuck a boot engineer in my squad. The kid was absolutely clueless. Anyone ahead or behind him on patrol would have to look past him when glancing to make sure the patrol was still intact because this kid took weeks to learn the simple concept of "look places other than directly ahead of you". You'd shout his name in the dark and his little head would pop up out of the tall grass 10 yards off the route, "I'M HERE LANCE CORPORAL!"

Besides our corpsman and our usual compliment of four ANA, he was the only non-white kid in our patrol. I don't recall anyone ever calling him a spic or a beaner, and we never beat him with rocks, and I wouldn't have condoned it if anyone even suggested doing such a thing. We probably threatened to buttfuck him "during the next tactical pause if you don't shape the gently caress up", but that's just another way of saying "I see you're trying. I believe in you."

We never had to drag him out of bed or even so much as threaten him with hazing to get him to understand the importance of doing the job well. Physical "smoking"-style hazing is like pre-work-up gently caress-with-the-boots nonsense. Sure, I made guys dig. I dug too. Just like I had to dig while my team leader dug alongside me. Even if you don't agree with it, at the end of the day you still have a hole and sandbags. Someone's gotta do it.

Anyways. This adorable little fucker wound up back with his unit to kick off Marjah. Fucker got a CAR (combat action ribbon aka the highly-sought-after ribbon I lucked out of despite two pumps full of combat patrols).

Would we have stoned him or any of that other ridiculous poo poo if he had been a giant turd infantryman instead of an ignorant little try-hard engineer? No. Because gently caress all that physical exertion. We'd get him moved into the COC and/or permanent post and/or menial labor inside the wire and never let him forget that he's not one of us. He'd cry. He'd maybe get sassy and refuse to work. He'd maybe blow his brains out. And then we'd see how "we're going to buttfuck you during the next tactical pause if you don't shape the gently caress up" plays in court once his weeping family members have had their 15 minutes of fame sandwiched between commercials for life insurance and gold plated dollar coins.

Everything here rings true/reasonable up until the point where the guy is taken out of a line formation. At that point, what is the purpose of active hazing (not the "you're never one of us") - low crawls, wakeups, etc? Just sadism, and not even the productive kind.

To bring this back to Chen, I wanted to figure out what the deal was. I learned a few things that make the cause(s) of suicide alter what I figured was a cut and dry example of a lovely unit.
-Chen's parents were pissed that he skipped a full ride to Baruch college and instead enlisted (if only he read the GIP thread). And they disowned him for this.
-Chen was a late deployer / addon to his unit, which is guaranteed additional hazing (does this make it okay? no. but will it always be a reality of war? yes.)
-He was constantly hosed up - out of shape (supposedly), and forgetting equipment (no helmet for guard duty), for which he was punished

On the other hand:
-military.com:

quote:

Hubbard said he was involved in the preliminary CID investigation into Chen's death.
He said he investigated soldiers from Combat Outpost Palace for shooting unarmed civilians and forcing soldiers to hold live grenades as punishment, but testified that those claims were unsubstantiated.
-The racial stuff in his circumstances sounded way beyond the infantry "background noise" racism I was used to hearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

its not so weird when you think that you were an amtrak mechanic who never deployed.

we never murdered our shitbirds either. they just spent 5-7 months standing post, watching coc and doing every working party there was.

I deployed twice, just not to combat zones. Oddly enough, we got to do the traditional Marine thing of riding on boats, getting hammer drunk in Asian ports, and getting in fights with the locals/sailors/other platoons.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Thump! posted:

I deployed twice, just not to combat zones. Oddly enough, we got to do the traditional Marine thing of riding on boats, getting hammer drunk in Asian ports, and getting in fights with the locals/sailors/other platoons.

then it really isnt the same thing, is it?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Zeris posted:

Everything here rings true/reasonable up until the point where the guy is taken out of a line formation. At that point, what is the purpose of active hazing (not the "you're never one of us") - low crawls, wakeups, etc? Just sadism, and not even the productive kind.
You still see them everyday. They'll go back to garrison and live in the same barracks. Command will change between deployments, have no idea how useless and dangerous this person is, and send them on the next deployment because this individual is, on paper, a trained infantryman.

That individual needs to know that they are not welcome.

edit: "not welcome" does not need to be communicated through retarded obstacle course shenanigans. You just shun them. Shut down whatever comes out of their mouth at the smoke pit. It sounds like a little thing, but it's actually a big deal when there's all of 30-50 people living on a small patch of land.

There were a handful of guys who walked a fine line. We had one who seemingly only had 3 interests: working out, being sad, and Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He wasn't allowed to draw out a rifle for a while, but he wasn't a bad Marine when he wasn't depressed. He'd even laugh or crack a (clean) joke if he was feeling especially chipper. We didn't treat him like poo poo, but eventually he went to another company and seemingly got along fine there. Great.

We had a Sergeant throw in the towel towards the end of a deployment. We had fuckall for NCOs and really couldn't afford to lose him, but he just had some kind of episode and needed a break. Nobody said poo poo about it because up until that point he had been rock solid.

Plenty of other guys go to another company and continue loving up until they're dropped from deployment. They wind up in H&S or base support and, in garrison, you might run into them and act cordially because, at that point, there's zero chance of them ever coming back to murder you in a faraway land through their neverending fuckups.

quote:

To bring this back to Chen, I wanted to figure out what the deal was. I learned a few things that make the cause(s) of suicide alter what I figured was a cut and dry example of a lovely unit.
-Chen's parents were pissed that he skipped a full ride to Baruch college and instead enlisted (if only he read the GIP thread). And they disowned him for this.
-Chen was a late deployer / addon to his unit, which is guaranteed additional hazing (does this make it okay? no. but will it always be a reality of war? yes.)
-He was constantly hosed up - out of shape (supposedly), and forgetting equipment (no helmet for guard duty), for which he was punished

On the other hand:
-military.com:

-The racial stuff in his circumstances sounded way beyond the infantry "background noise" racism I was used to hearing
If anyone can find transcripts (or something similar), I'm really curious about the Prosecution's witnesses. The only first-hand stuff I've seen so far came from a Pvt who confirmed that the Sgt was a racist rear end in a top hat. I'm curious how much of the testimony/evidence came from the family. I think they denied the disowning.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 8, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

then it really isnt the same thing, is it?

I mean, I never claimed I was a combat deployed guy so I'm not really sure of your point.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
his point is he enlisted

vains
May 26, 2004

Thump! posted:

I mean, I never claimed I was a combat deployed guy so I'm not really sure of your point.

my point is that your experience with the vampire guy isnt relevant to the current tangent the thread is on. you offered the anecdote as if sleeping in a wall locker is somehow relevant to these army retards that hazed this kid to the point he opted to commit suicide.

vains
May 26, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

If anyone can find transcripts (or something similar), I'm really curious about the Prosecution's witnesses. The only first-hand stuff I've seen so far came from a Pvt who confirmed that the Sgt was a racist rear end in a top hat. I'm curious how much of the testimony/evidence came from the family. I think they denied the disowning.

i dont know anything about military law but, unless these sorts of things are required to be made public, i'd be surprised if they ever were.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

my point is that your experience with the vampire guy isnt relevant to the current tangent the thread is on. you offered the anecdote as if sleeping in a wall locker is somehow relevant to these army retards that hazed this kid to the point he opted to commit suicide.

I didn't really explain how much of a hazard the guy was around the vehicles out of laziness I guess, but suffice to say I wouldn't trust the fucker with an ink pen much less a wrench. He had way more issues than just sleeping in his locker and poo poo.

edit: And last I heard, the guy is a sergeant in the Army now :cripes:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ded posted:

his point is he enlisted

All the text on this page is a lot of words for, "gently caress you if you ever enlisted."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DownByTheWooter posted:

All the text on this page is a lot of words for, "gently caress you if you ever enlisted."

Isn't that the mission statement and goal of the military?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

xthetenth posted:

Isn't that the mission statement and goal of the military?

If it isn't already, they should change it to be one. That way the military can actually achieve a goal HEYO! :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

i dont know anything about military law but, unless these sorts of things are required to be made public, i'd be surprised if they ever were.

Public affairs here.

No.

You go ugly early, but a lot of things you just kind of realize is not that loving important.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

You can get the court martial transcripts through FOIA.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We had a dude like that (inept and out of shape to the point where it threatened the safety of everyone else if it came down to it) except instead of throwing rocks at him and acting like a band of loving psychopaths whenever the usual smokings didn't change his negative behavior, we just stuck him with battalion without calling him racially charged names and harming him physically.

Imagine being in a warzone and not even feeling safe in your own bunk among your unit, what the loving christ

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Aranan posted:

Do the Coast Guard have any dumb thing they yell?

WE WANT TO BE RELEVAAAANT!!!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that a guy got hazed to death and basically nothing was done about it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

One time my CO yelled at a radio operator so much that the radio kid ran outside screaming, punching his own head. And that was pretty typical from the guy. One time he locked me up (I am also an officer, so you know he was ~serious~) and just screamed "gently caress you" at me in front of the entire TOC - like, without any point, just to be a verbal punching bag for his own emotional turmoil.

Anyway, even my rageaholic CO knew when to leave it alone, and we were on a ~90 person FOB.

But we definitely had the option to rotate people off the line, or to Bagram, if they weren't performing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Holy poo poo what a toxic environment

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that a guy got hazed to death and basically nothing was done about it.

That's what gets me. I worked with a guy who was hazed to the point of threatening suicide the night before the grenade range, but there was a course correction and staff started to help him instead of trying to force him to quit. His Korean family would disown him if he gave up, so for better or worse he was committed to hanging in.

The fact that the gay kid was hazed and (allegedly) beaten up was hosed up. He wasn't even a bad troop just scared.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Getting an officer's opinion on reality is like getting a fish's take on mountain biking

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thanks 4 defending my freedoms by driving a guy to suicide here is an appleby's gift card for $5 god bless

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Getting an officer's opinion on reality is like getting a fish's take on mountain biking

:nallears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No point in piling on the condemnation of stupid opinions about hazing, not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Our prior service ARNG guy was telling me about how they had some inspection in basic training that was overhyped a bit in terms of how tough it was going to be. So some genius decides the best way to clean his weapon is to get a little bit of sand and Barbasol in the receiver and barrel, then go to town with it with a wire brush jammed into a drill. A bunch of other guys followed right along and did the same thing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Eh. I know people who use knives and other hard metal objects to "clean" their weapons. The focus is on passing the inspection, not having a weapon that works. Its loving dumb.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

No point in piling on the condemnation of stupid opinions about hazing, not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Our prior service ARNG guy was telling me about how they had some inspection in basic training that was overhyped a bit in terms of how tough it was going to be. So some genius decides the best way to clean his weapon is to get a little bit of sand and Barbasol in the receiver and barrel, then go to town with it with a wire brush jammed into a drill. A bunch of other guys followed right along and did the same thing.

I'd say the idiots in these situations (because there are many times this kind of thing happens) are not strictly limited to just the guys doing this.

I'd extend it to the arms room and whoever was training them. The arms room for being inconceivably lovely, nit-picky mother fuckers about the dumbest bullshit imaginable in the military but only at certain times and with certain people, then whoever trained them for treating 'clean your weapon' as something you tell people under you to do for half a day because you hosed up the schedule instead of an activity you have to take seriously and spend time to educate people on.

So there's idiots all around every time something like this happens.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I posted this over in the Get Help thread, but it belongs here too.

As a military survivor, I'm entitled to base access, exchange and commissary privileges etc. until I remarry or die (whichever comes first). Apparently there's an entirely different form of military ID for survivors, so my Casualty Assistance Officer took me to the ID office today to get that set up.

My wife was a Reservist on active duty when she passed. Her orders ended the day after she died. But because they were under 30 days in length, the orders were never uploaded into the system. So all the system is showing is when she was released from active duty last January when her ADOS orders ended, as such I'm not entitled to a new card according to the computer.

We managed to get the people in the office to understand that she was, in fact, on active duty orders when she died. The CAO pointed out that if she hadn't been, he wouldn't have been assigned to me. Then the supervisor of the office looks at all the information we've given them and said that since my wife's orders were finished, I'm not entitled to any benefits.

"Does that mean," I asked, "that when a soldier dies two days from the end of their enlistment, their survivor isn't entitled to benefits because the soldier's enlistment was over?" I'm told that is the case. Basically, they said that a survivor's benefits expire when the deceased service member's enlistment would have ended.

"That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard," I responded.

And they almost threw me out for saying that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:catstare:

I'm sure there's someone at one of the veteran service organizations that would gleefully wreck someone over that kind of bullshit. Hell, you could probably call in a congressional investigation on how some office is screwing surviving spouses, or IG (since the CAO was assigned to you by the Army and they're seemingly being impeded from doing their actual job).

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Icon Of Sin posted:

:catstare:

I'm sure there's someone at one of the veteran service organizations that would gleefully wreck someone over that kind of bullshit. Hell, you could probably call in a congressional investigation on how some office is screwing surviving spouses, or IG (since the CAO was assigned to you by the Army and they're seemingly being impeded from doing their actual job).

+1

Have a friend that just got accredited by the VA so that he could represent folks that were getting jerked around over care and benefits. I think he charges something stupid low like $200 flat, just because he likes beating on the whole org.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 8, 2016

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Well, we got it straightened out. The supervisor's problem was that they're used to dealing with living people. Service over = benefits over, pretty easy.

The real issue was that the office that shares information with the CAO didn't have a copy of the orders that the CAO did have (which suggests to me that it was more a case of "gently caress that, it's lunchtime").

Anyway, now I'm waiting for some fucknugget at Fort Knox to upload a single sheet of paper into the system so it recognizes that my wife was on active duty when she died.

But since she's dead, the dependent ID I had is no longer valid and they took it. So while I legally have access to the base and everything I just don't have any way to prove it.

lol army

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:negative: jfc

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
burn the army to the ground with the corpses of all the nobles and senior ncos we need to hang. also DA civilians who used to be in.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Oh, I'm also in the middle of disputing a charge for a VA outpatient visit that my wife never made. The date they claim they saw her was the date I went to speak to the Patient Advocate telling them that she'd received lovely treatment.

So lol va too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

Well, we got it straightened out. The supervisor's problem was that they're used to dealing with living people. Service over = benefits over, pretty easy.

The real issue was that the office that shares information with the CAO didn't have a copy of the orders that the CAO did have (which suggests to me that it was more a case of "gently caress that, it's lunchtime").

Anyway, now I'm waiting for some fucknugget at Fort Knox to upload a single sheet of paper into the system so it recognizes that my wife was on active duty when she died.

But since she's dead, the dependent ID I had is no longer valid and they took it. So while I legally have access to the base and everything I just don't have any way to prove it.

lol army

Jesus Christ, wouldn't it be nice if they'd at least not be lovely to someone in your situation? gently caress this entire Department of Defense.

Are you in Kentucky or what? There's got to be someone from GIP nearby who can get you on base when you can get the ID card you're entitled to.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Jesus Christ, wouldn't it be nice if they'd at least not be lovely to someone in your situation? gently caress this entire Department of Defense.

Are you in Kentucky or what? There's got to be someone from GIP nearby who can get you on base when you can get the ID card you're entitled to.

No, I'm in Maryland. But the personnel center that has to process the documents is at Knox. Basically they said "it's someone else's problem now, we'll call you when it's in the system."

Dralun
May 22, 2012

McNally posted:

Oh, I'm also in the middle of disputing a charge for a VA outpatient visit that my wife never made. The date they claim they saw her was the date I went to speak to the Patient Advocate telling them that she'd received lovely treatment.

So lol va too

Is this dispute mostly taken care of and just now waiting for some VA billing clerks to pull their heads out their asses to remove the charge? If not, I might be able to help by telling you what to specifically ask for to prove she wasn't there as I've helped some of my patients in the the past with similar stupidity.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I heard it the other day and Ive been dying to use it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Holy hell they're retarded. I know exactly what they should be doing (I did it for the surviving spouses of the C-17 air show crash at Elmo). Have your CAO call daily to get the status from them and as soon as you're in DEERS push you to the front of the line. People let their retarded comfort box office routine get in the way of any loving decency and empathy. It honestly should take less than a working week to get you in DEERS.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

There must be an advocate at the DAV or American Legion or something who knows all the numbers to call. I know you have an Army advocate and all but a non-government advocate might be handy. Even if you aren't a member, it's their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Affi posted:

Eh. I know people who use knives and other hard metal objects to "clean" their weapons. The focus is on passing the inspection, not having a weapon that works. Its loving dumb.
He said these guys pretty much scrubbed the insides down to bare metal, and they wouldn't hold lubrication after that. The inspector was pissed but there wasn't too much that could be done to dumb kids who should have been supervised better.

One of the younger girls in the squadron had the misfortune of having her tech school boyfriend being stationed relatively nearby. Most of the time distance probably keeps you from continuing to pursue something so fleeting and stupid, not so in this case. So everyone's been getting to listen to her naive ramblings about how she's going to be with this guy forever. A few people have tried to explain how poo poo really works to her, that maybe she doesn't know everything there is to know at 19. I figure it's probably a waste of time, she'll either learn something from this or she won't.