Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cactrot posted:

Honestly, if you started with a real good $20 tournament ready deck, would you ever even look at standard?

Could get stale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

We've been playing hedge magic aka no rare standard at the lgs because we've got a bunch of new players. It's surprisingly fun.

Huh, sounds neat. What sort of decks have come out of it?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

B/W warriors, B/W allies, Jeskai sphinx's tutalage, RDW, Elves, U/R devoid, G/W renown, retreat ramp, aether grid thopters, the list goes on.

A lot of them follow the major draft archetypes, but there's also some weird poo poo that gets played. If there's a top tier we haven't found it yet. Everything is pretty competitive.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't want to say standard isn't popular but we've seen HUGE gains in modern attendance recently at FNM. Literally going from "does not fire because 4 people sign up" to ~20-25 people. Although there's quite a few people don't even own decks, it's just people bringing friends and loaning them out.

Also I went 1-3 with Junk with a ton of misplays :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 9, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Horse posted:

Iquisition-owners chat: should we shift this poo poo now, or will it keep going up!?

I'm going to sell everything except a couple of tried and true decks over the next six months, starting at gp vancouver.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
If anyone is awake and bored i'm streaming pauper jeskai for a bit. http://www.twitch.tv/jassi007

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm going to sell everything except a couple of tried and true decks over the next six months, starting at gp vancouver.

Hey me too. ,I'm specifically bringing a sell binder to GP Van.

Also gone get Jesper to sign my OG duals.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The worst submarine posted:

This set is great for photoshop

No mames - Mexican saying meaning "I can't believe it."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

Could get stale

When things get stale you can buy another T1 deck for $40-50

Sigma-X posted:

What the hell kind of pauper deck isn't going to be $10 to assemble from your store's commons/uncommons/tcgplayer anyways?

There are no $10 decks commonly played in pauper. Most of them are in the $35-50 range.
Relic of Progenitus is a $5 card now :haw:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"This game revolves too much around overly pushed creatures, let's solve the problem by getting rid of cards that can remove overly pushed creatures"

Lightning Strike and Doom Blade don't kill Siege Rhino though?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Does anyone else see a sombrero

Make Zendikar Great Again

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

MisterOblivious posted:

When things get stale you can buy another T1 deck for $40-50

There are no $10 decks commonly played in pauper. Most of them are in the $35-50 range.
Relic of Progenitus is a $5 card now :haw:

It's even worse on MTGO, Daze is a loving $30 card now on there.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Annorax posted:

It's even worse on MTGO, Daze is a loving $30 card now on there.

It has been for a long time. The only way there was to get it for several years was through the Jace vs. Chandra duel deck, where there was only one copy of it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I can't draft for poo poo, but I do enjoy a Glimmervoid and Mindslaver. No doubt I will go 0-2 in round one.

Edit: Yup!

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 9, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got passed two Arrests after going p1p1 Arrest and two Shatters. I was also passed a Glimmervoid in a draft before that one.

I think everyone's caught on to Spikeshot Goblin being the best common in triple Mirrodin, but I'll sure as gently caress take all the good removal and force RW.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh gently caress draft 2 now do i take a chrome mox or bonesplitter pick one

money

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

I got passed two Arrests after going p1p1 Arrest and two Shatters. I was also passed a Glimmervoid in a draft before that one.

I think everyone's caught on to Spikeshot Goblin being the best common in triple Mirrodin, but I'll sure as gently caress take all the good removal and force RW.

i got passed a 4th pick Blinding Beam and I'm not saying there aren't better cards but that feels really really wrong

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

AlternateNu I don't mean to steal your gimmick but Inquisition of Kozilek rose 10% today by their graph and their list of tcgplayer prices has none below $20.

poo poo.

Feel free to take over. I'm starting a new job this week and will have next to no time to keep up with Magic.

That being said, I sniped the last Modern Event deck my LGS had last night right as the manager of a rival store was about grab it because gently caress that guy. (My LGS pretty much never charges above MSRP regardless of MTGFinance shenanigans, and that rear end in a top hat regularly goes around town finding poo poo for YGO and MTG to buy and flip at his own store at giant mark-ups.)

Also, I pulled a Russian Jace, Vryn's Prodigy from one of my consolidation packs. :woop:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This SCG Modern Open brought to you by people that aren't Mathias Hunt or Cedric Phillips.

Dark times indeed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kizudarake posted:

"gently caress you, you shoulda come in at 10 am. Pay me."

If a merchant allowed you to lock in a price without paying them, it becomes free for you to speculate on cards that might rise that day, for example the day of a spoiler.

You call at 10am and get a quote of $10.

The price triples to $30, so you go in and pick up your copies at $10, for a free $20 profit each.

OR

The price stays flat, so you don't show up to buy your copies.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

This SCG Modern Open brought to you by people that aren't Mathias Hunt or Cedric Phillips.

Dark times indeed.

I am muting the stream, its awful.

The loving scg regional championships on feb for is both modern and has an amazing playmat. I am hyped.

http://www.starcitygames.com/content/regionals

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Dark times indeed.

Cedric is on camera though. :3:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Dark times indeed.

Covering Cedric Phillilps round 1 on U/R Twin. :v:

;efb

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

i got passed a 4th pick Blinding Beam and I'm not saying there aren't better cards but that feels really really wrong

I got 2 Blinding Beams around 5-6 and two Spikeshot Goblins ridiculously late, more than halfway done. Didn't lose a game rounds 1-2 and my round 3 opponent never showed up and timed out. Easiest draft I ever won.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Covering Cedric Phillilps round 1 on U/R Twin. :v:

;efb

The good news is he'll be back in the booth soon enough. :haw:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Devor posted:

If a merchant allowed you to lock in a price without paying them, it becomes free for you to speculate on cards that might rise that day, for example the day of a spoiler.

You call at 10am and get a quote of $10.

The price triples to $30, so you go in and pick up your copies at $10, for a free $20 profit each.

OR

The price stays flat, so you don't show up to buy your copies.

Well, yeah, that's what I was implying.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Has anyone else noticed that colourless costs interact kind of strangely with the EDH colour identity rules? Notably, a non-black deck can run Urborg, which makes all its lands tap for C

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Has anyone else noticed that colourless costs interact kind of strangely with the EDH colour identity rules? Notably, a non-black deck can run Urborg, which makes all its lands tap for C

The EDH Rules committee has said this is intended, because tapping a land for a color you can't make turns it into colorless.

According to my friend. Probably.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Dark times indeed.

Van Meter and Boswell are both very nice dudes. They are doing fine for their first time. They can't all be Cedric and Patrick.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

this is, for real and not a joke, a key part of the Darien combo EDH deck i have

Urborg plus Karma means Soldiers every turn and everyone is getting hurt

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Oh nice, Chris is in there. I've known him for years. Good guy, glad to see him doing this!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Van Meter and Boswell are both very nice dudes. They are doing fine for their first time. They can't all be Cedric and Patrick.

I'm trying to be open minded... But it's more like a GP than SCG at this point. which is not good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

The EDH Rules committee has said this is intended, because tapping a land for a color you can't make turns it into colorless.

According to my friend. Probably.

That's how it works now, since specifically colorless mana didn't matter before. They might change it, might not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm trying to be open minded... But it's more like a GP than SCG at this point. which is not good.

Boswell seems alright, but Chris is kinda not that great, to me.

Idk it's prob just bc they're new and Cedric/Patrick was god-tier commentating, i'm sure i'll get used to them eventually

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
A question that has nothing to do with the commentator chat right now, but would you guys rather have a WWE style announcing crew, or a golf style?

Like, 'OH MAH GAWD HE'S EQUIPPING THE CRANIAL PLATING TO THE ORNITHOPTER! HE'S ATTACKING! SOMEONE GET IN THERE AND STOP THIS!'

Cuz I'd like that

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

En Fuego posted:

A question that has nothing to do with the commentator chat right now, but would you guys rather have a WWE style announcing crew, or a golf style?

Like, 'OH MAH GAWD HE'S EQUIPPING THE CRANIAL PLATING TO THE ORNITHOPTER! HE'S ATTACKING! SOMEONE GET IN THERE AND STOP THIS!'

Cuz I'd like that

Well Patrick and Cedrick got excited a few times and I would always laugh when they lost it.

This is just boring. Also they keep being wrong.

"Affinity has no way to draw extra cards" like 4 turns after he cast Thoughtcast
"Maybe tom won't cast the second pump and just let this attack as a 5/5" as they are discussing the galvanic blast in response to the first pump. You can't leave it at 5 because it's loving dead if he doesn't save it. Pay attention.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

En Fuego posted:

Cuz I'd like that

Wrestling style commentary would be wonderful, but you have to have the right people. WotC isn't willing to pay that amount of money.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well Patrick and Cedrick got excited a few times and I would always laugh when they lost it.

This is just boring. Also they keep being wrong.

"Affinity has no way to draw extra cards" like 4 turns after he cast Thoughtcast
"Maybe tom won't cast the second pump and just let this attack as a 5/5" as they are discussing the galvanic blast in response to the first pump. You can't leave it at 5 because it's loving dead if he doesn't save it. Pay attention.

Getting basic game analysis wrong and failing to RTFC are much, much worse than being boring as far as commentary goes imo

They should hire John Madden

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

Wrestling style commentary would be wonderful, but you have to have the right people. WotC isn't willing to pay that amount of money.

Good ol' JR isn't doing anything right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
VanMeters lispy voice is making me not want to watch this, ugh.

• Locked thread