Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

He didn't try to rally others, he posted his own reasons for not seeing TFA and people jumped down his goddamn throat. People immediately questioned his reasoning, started insulting Tarantino, at least one person implied that they were going to see the movie again to balance the equation from him boycotting.

No one immediately jumped down his throat. People ignored his original Tarantino post until he posted and quoted his own post:

Harime Nui posted:

Thanks, but not happy people are missing my most important post[

He clearly had an ax to grind and wanted to post about it. Some people responded seriously and others, like myself, poo poo posted because goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Am I morally obligated to watch Roman Polanski's entire filmography to keep from engaging in a one-man boycott against that pedophile rapist, Disney lovers?

Well you can watch or not watch whatever movies you want. That doesn't make it a boycott, or meaningful in any way.

Still, a boycott of Roman Polanski's films would at least be more consistent, since I'm assuming you don't support pedophile rapists in general. Arbitrarily deciding that Disney is worthy of a boycott because they hosed over Tarantino of all people is nonsensical.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Effectronica posted:

You're really loving dumb, like holy poo poo. Can you dress yourself?

There's no need to be upset.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TFA is a really good movie and you should see it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I was going to go to Catalina for my birthday but instead I just bought 25 tix for TFA at the dome.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I was referring to the mean-spirited notion

:qq:

I get that engaging in ridiculous internet hyperbole is your thing but drawing a parallel between what Roman Polanski did and the Disney thing is gross. You ain't smart kid.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
While I was only somewhat more than lukewarm on TFA, after this threadshitting, I'm tempted to see it again and send a bill for both my time and ticket to Quentin Tarrantino.

Your move, Harime Nui.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I didn't even know tfa was playing at the dome but since it's kinda my theater I appreciate the heads up.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Vintersorg posted:

TFA is a really good movie and you should see it.

I'm sure it's "Avatar Good."

Basebf555 posted:

Well you can watch or not watch whatever movies you want. That doesn't make it a boycott, or meaningful in any way.

Still, a boycott of Roman Polanski's films would at least be more consistent, since I'm assuming you don't support pedophile rapists in general. Arbitrarily deciding that Disney is worthy of a boycott because they hosed over Tarantino of all people is nonsensical.

I've never called this a boycott. I'm just not gonna watch The Force Awakens, or read its expanded materials, or watch its DVD extras, or acknowledge it in my Star Wars canon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Effectronica posted:

H8ful 8 was a better movie than Star Wars Episode VII, let's be absolutely clear here.

Creed > TFA > Hatful 8

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So you're going to deprive yourself of a franchise you like, and "punish" the actors, writers, crew, etc. all because of a petty thing their parent company did?

Also, why the gently caress do you think we care what you do?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This thread is pretty funny in the last 3 pages.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rear end Catchcum posted:

Well, if "number of responses" is an indication of caring...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm struggling with the same question, but people in this thread are undoubtedly mega-triggered by the idea that someone doesn't want to see Star Wars because of an ethical stance, right or wrong as that stance may be.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mr.capps posted:

Creed > TFA > Hatful 8

Creed's a good movie but if you think it's better than Hateful Eight.... it's not

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

:qq:

I get that engaging in ridiculous internet hyperbole is your thing but drawing a parallel between what Roman Polanski did and the Disney thing is gross. You ain't smart kid.

Thank god you've decided to declare that there's a line, and it is morally unacceptable to refuse to see a movie sometimes, but acceptable other times. Very intellectual of you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Harime Nui posted:

Creed's a good movie but if you think it's better than Hateful Eight.... it's not

It really is though, Creed was actually probably the best movie of the year.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I care a lot and will honestly probably lose sleep tonight over all of this.

After I've gone and seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens again.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like Creed is what movies are loving about. Its just perfection.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Totbot posted:

I care a lot and will honestly probably lose sleep tonight over all of this.
I will pray for you.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mr.capps posted:

It was up there. I'm basically saying it's number three, only Ron Howard's Whaling Movie and Hateful Eight beat it for me, but I haven't seen The Revenant yet

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mr.capps posted:

Can't disagree with this.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just think the kid's retarded for having this be his Disney jumping off point when, you know, the founder was an anti-Semite but no, this is where the gauntlet drops. Because tarintino says he got burned by a movie theater. Dude has been in the business a long time. He has seen poo poo like this, prolly had it happen to him before. Doesn't make it right but know that he's speaking up about it on national radio to hype his movie. That's been his MO with the whole hateful 8 campaign. Crying for attention. Also just to make it super clear:

Disney founded by known anti-Semite: you're on board
A director you like can't show his movie on the day he wants at his favorite theater: you draw the line.

Sue the theatre for breaking contract and move on.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I can't say In the Heart of the Sea was better than Creed without invoking my insane passion for square-rigged ships I admit, I admit just seeing staylines on an actual movie screen gets me, I'm not gonna pretend like mine's the normal opinion there

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm struggling with the same question, but people in this thread are undoubtedly mega-triggered by the idea that someone doesn't want to see Star Wars because of an ethical stance, right or wrong as that stance may be.

It was more the self-righteous tone that I was reacting to. The original post was going to be ignored but Harime was not allowing the thread to do that.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

It was more the self-righteous tone that I was reacting to. The original post was going to be ignored but Harime was not allowing the thread to do that.

I won't allow you to ignore me.............. ever.............

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

You'd might be more effective at convincing people of the moral rightness of your positions if you weren't so consistently insulting to the people you're conversing with.

It's surprising that there's this much anger in the Star Wars thread, tbh.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I haven't seen Creed in boycott because I am against one of the production companies involved; New Line Cinema. New Line Cinema also distributed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, which was a bigger crime against humanity than anything Disney has ever done.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Totbot posted:

I haven't seen Creed in boycott because I am against one of the production companies involved; New Line Cinema. New Line Cinema also distributed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, which was a bigger crime against humanity than anything Disney has ever done.

you monster

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Totbot posted:

Oh, most people just boycott Creed because they focus on thugs instead of wholesome Italian men.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mr.capps posted:

you monster

You seem like you have good taste in the animes but you're kind of a bitch

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Quentin Tarantula movies have to much violence and not enough titties. Even Start Wars has more tities.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Harime Nui posted:

You seem like you have good taste in the animes but you're kind of a bitch

you monster

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

You're the least-triggered dude in this discussion and I respect that.

Ersatz posted:

This is the thread where posters routinely burst in and zealously declare the proceedings to be heresy because people like a movie or three.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Totbot posted:

Turtles in Time is an unappreciated masterpiece. I'm fully expecting a Criterion release by 2050.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mr.capps posted:

you monster

well thanks for talking to my face

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

There are a ton in attack of the clones, especially with padmes assassination attempt.

Glass room
Droid using worms instead of, I dunno, a gun
Jango, a bounty hunter, hiring a bounty hunter
Who is a shape shifter wearing a disguise who doesn't just shape shift into someone who would have easier access to padme, and, as such, the fact that it's a shapeshifter being completely useless.
Obi jumping out a window and everything working out

None of these are plot holes. A plot hole is something that can't happen given the established logic of the movie.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Whatever the correct terminology, the bottom line is those movies ask me to look past too much stupid, illogical things coupled with lovely lines (or lovely delivery, take your pedantic choice) for me to enjoy.

Luckily TFA has begun to set things right again.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ersatz posted:

You'd might be more effective at convincing people of the moral rightness of your positions if you weren't so consistently insulting to the people you're conversing with.

I'm sorry you can't handle a little pungency in conversation. It must be a heavy cross to bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

well thanks for talking to my face

Disney was founded by a known anti-Semite. Why did you support them previously?

• Locked thread