Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically it doesn't go well for agencies that engage in extrajudicial killings of protesters engaging in civil disobedience. Failing to cooperate with an arrest isn't a death penalty crime.

I don't understand why so many people are wasting their money to send these guys garbage. Buy a decent dinner or something, it'll last longer than the three seconds of mild annoyance they might experience before they chuck it in the trash.

The fact that these guys asked for support and received a bunch of dildos is going to be in the historical record

If you don't see the appeal of that I don't know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corek posted:

So the community meeting supposed to be on Jan. 15 wasn't held?

The county and community told them to gently caress off and wouldn't let them use the area they wanted to, if I recall correctly.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically it doesn't go well for agencies that engage in extrajudicial killings of protesters engaging in civil disobedience.

It's always gone well for agencies who engage in extrajudicial killings of protesters engaging in civil disobedience. Maybe there's a panel, maybe some 'hard questions' are asked, but whoever is sitting in that chair is still getting paid while giving testimony.

Since the British left your entire history is just chock full of protesters and the like getting got by police and then... well... nothing.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically it doesn't go well for agencies that engage in extrajudicial killings of protesters engaging in civil disobedience. Failing to cooperate with an arrest isn't a death penalty crime.

Oh gently caress right off with this bullshit.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Iowa Snow King posted:

The fact that these guys asked for support and received a bunch of dildos is going to be in the historical record

I'm banking on the acrid smoke from a burning dildo when this goes all WACO causing at least one death.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't understand why so many people are wasting their money to send these guys garbage. Buy a decent dinner or something, it'll last longer than the three seconds of mild annoyance they might experience before they chuck it in the trash.

I think someone should send them some homemade clocks

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
So what was the rationalization for them not arresting the second driver? The guy steals a federal vehicle and they are somehow stymied by the mystical powers of the grocery-store door and become incapable of following up in any way?

Granted, many American LEOs are mouth-breathing, gun-obsessed, wingnut losers just like these militia shitstains. It's not all that surprising that they would bend over backwards to put things in the best possible light for these felons whom they broadly sympathize with. Stuff like this is just straight-up dereliction of duty, though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

marshalljim posted:

So what was the rationalization for them not arresting the second driver? The guy steals a federal vehicle and they are somehow stymied by the mystical powers of the grocery-store door and become incapable of following up in any way?

Granted, many American LEOs are mouth-breathing, gun-obsessed, wingnut losers just like these militia shitstains. It's not all that surprising that they would bend over backwards to put things in the best possible light for these felons whom they broadly sympathize with. Stuff like this is just straight-up dereliction of duty, though.

No officer saw him driving the vehicle. The DA isn't going to take a case where the defense just has to invent a driver and say their client walked to the store.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Grem posted:

No officer saw him driving the vehicle. The DA isn't going to take a case where the defense just has to invent a driver and say their client walked to the store.

If the case is so weak that the defense can get away with that, it's because the officers threw up their hands and said "Whoa, a grocery store? Nothing we can do about that."

They didn't even try to question the guy, despite having a pretty drat good idea he stole this federal vehicle. He's getting away scot-free with a felony because they made absolutely no effort to investigate.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

marshalljim posted:

If the case is so weak that the defense can get away with that, it's because the officers threw up their hands and said "Whoa, a grocery store? Nothing we can do about that."

They didn't even try to question the guy, despite having a pretty drat good idea he stole this federal vehicle. He's getting away scot-free with a felony because they made absolutely no effort to investigate.

No, if there's no evidence (camera or eye witness testimony) there's a big gob of reasonable doubt the guy drove the van. Our entire court system is based off of reasonable doubt, and while it's obvious that it's likely he did indeed drive the van there's too many ways to set up the situation where he didn't. Mainly: someone else could have driven the van, there could have easily been a third or fourth party to this group. So you could potentially get him for being an accessory to theft of a federal vehicle but not the actual theft charge you want to bring against him. Any miss-step the FBI takes will just make them look like idiots and further embolden Yokel Haram so they're only going to arrest anyone if they do something really dumb that's a hilarious slam-dunk in a trial. Such as: idling in a parking lot in a Federal vehicle that you're not supposed to have access to.

Besides, the FBI already got the big, juicy target they really wanted. As mentioned, the chucklefuck they caught idling in the park truck was already on probation for building some booby-trapped cabin on Federal lands already. His probation terms were simply "don't squat on Federal lands you dumb poo poo", which is exactly what he's been doing. This is an air-tight case and the FBI can have the journalists laugh at his past criminal stupidity to help discredit him and, by proxy, the entire movement.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Oh word? What was he wearing? What did he look like? A white guy in flannel huh? Welp time to flip this Oregonian super market upside down until we find such a uniquely described individual.

The articles I've read don't have any details about how the incident was reported or if there are witnesses that could identify him. If they went in to the supermarket who would they question?

I should use quotes, obviously in response to the guy two above me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
To clarify the situation re: the meeting a bit:

The meeting was set up between the local "committee of safety", a small, separate(as far as I can tell, I did spend some time looking into it) homegrown crazy sovcit organization founded by local residents last december, apparently in relation to the Hammond case. The county government and court system refused to let them use any of the public venues they wanted, primarily on legally defensible "you're actively breaking the law and also there's a serious safety risk" grounds.

One of the members of the safety council is Chris Briels, the former fire marshal who "sided with" the militia a couple days ago.

My read on this is that the local "committee" (which I can't emphasize enough is wholly illegitimate) was probably involved in setting up the initial, nonviolent protest and is far into the right fringe, but not as far as the actual militias. They probably didn't know about the occupation plans, but are more on board than other locals. The committee members (all 6 of 'em) are now probably not very popular in town, but are largely affiliated with the militant occupiers now.

This sort of problem- local support structures- is another strong reason for law enforcement to tread very lightly.

Link to the "committee"'s homepage is here. It's actually interesting to take a root around and see how these folks view the world.

Grem posted:

Oh word? What was he wearing? What did he look like? A white guy in flannel huh? Welp time to flip this Oregonian super market upside down until we find such a uniquely described individual.
The articles I've read don't have any details about how the incident was reported or if there are witnesses that could identify him. If they went in to the supermarket who would they question?
I should use quotes, obviously in response to the guy two above me.

Grem, the most likely explanation is that the trucks were either under surveillance or reported by a local, and the officers saw a chance to swoop in and get one of these people on charges that were independent of the current occupation.

The big factor in safety is that militant Sovcits are unpredictable and can suddenly open fire when you try to arrest them. One of them, alone, outdoors, is much easier to stop and arrest than one under any other circumstances. The other legal advantages to arresting this particular occupant would also play a role.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Alkydere posted:

No, if there's no evidence (camera or eye witness testimony) there's a big gob of reasonable doubt the guy drove the van. Our entire court system is based off of reasonable doubt, and while it's obvious that it's likely he did indeed drive the van there's too many ways to set up the situation where he didn't.

This is so clueless it's painful to read. "Reasonable doubt" is a standard that applies at (criminal) trial. If the existence of any kind of "reasonable doubt" meant that law enforcement officers had to give up on trying to figure out what happened in a particular case, almost no one would ever be convicted of anything. The point of investigating is to reveal more information. Information which might clarify things... Or, uh, do away with doubts.

Grem posted:

If they went in to the supermarket who would they question?

Anyone. Literally loving anyone. Which they did not do.

Do you guys honestly believe that it's standard practice to come across a stolen vehicle with the engine still hot, and to tow the thing off and consider the matter resolved? Without so much as walking into the adjacent podunk supermarket with its two cashiers and four customers to ask around?

No, of course you don't. Like the officers who allowed this to happen, you're contorting yourselves into whatever kind of ridiculous positions it takes to let these pieces of poo poo get away with as many serious crimes as possible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pete Santilli posted:

The county and community was told to gently caress off and by the FBI and reptilian government goons wouldn't let them use the area they wanted to, if I recall correctly.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The gag about the lube is sitting on the front page of reddit right now and elsewhere, so I wouldn't expect it to come as a surprise to anyone. It'll arrive in a week and they'll have plenty of time to think of a response, such as asking the delivery person to set it over there and then ignoring it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They will make a huge deal about dumping 55 gallons of oil in the bird place and then it turns out that the lube is water based.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Iowa Snow King posted:

If I were them, I would be turning all that stuff around on ebay and running a thriving sextoy business. All those double dildos could actually be funding the occupation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Gee that's weird, I recall a lot of protests this summer where people didn't cooperate, police showed up in force and started physical confrontations and none of them turned into massive shootouts.

Still waiting on an explanation here main painframe.

Please explain either why Malheur qualifies as a peaceful protest or explain why the ferguson peaceful protest was confronted with all of your pre-requisites for a 2 way massacre and yet resulted in no deaths.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 16, 2016

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Soylent Yellow posted:

If I were them, I would be turning all that stuff around on ebay and running a thriving sextoy business. All those double dildos could actually be funding the occupation.

It's all about branding.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fix posted:

It's all about branding.

wanna sell a gadsen snake tongue clit tickler

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What sort of name is cliven? Do his friends call him clive?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jippa posted:

What sort of name is cliven? Do his friends call him clive?

Obviously his friends refer to him as C-Live

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I did not see this posted in the last 20 or so pages

http://thelapine.ca/79-year-old-bird-watcher-takes-down-oregon-militant-with-old-high-school-wrestling-move/

Agent Mulder posted:

We’re hoping this is an isolated incident and we’re asking the elderly not to knock any more militants on their rear end

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

marshalljim posted:

This is so clueless it's painful to read. "Reasonable doubt" is a standard that applies at (criminal) trial. If the existence of any kind of "reasonable doubt" meant that law enforcement officers had to give up on trying to figure out what happened in a particular case, almost no one would ever be convicted of anything. The point of investigating is to reveal more information. Information which might clarify things... Or, uh, do away with doubts.

Anyone. Literally loving anyone. Which they did not do.

Do you guys honestly believe that it's standard practice to come across a stolen vehicle with the engine still hot, and to tow the thing off and consider the matter resolved? Without so much as walking into the adjacent podunk supermarket with its two cashiers and four customers to ask around?

No, of course you don't. Like the officers who allowed this to happen, you're contorting yourselves into whatever kind of ridiculous positions it takes to let these pieces of poo poo get away with as many serious crimes as possible.

I want them to burn WACO style as much as the next guy, but neither you nor I know exactly what the police did or did not do beyond what is in the article.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Very boring news super events period combined with a bunch of morons doing and saying what Fox News viewers wet dream about.

Zerilan posted:

Kind of behind on things but supposedly they've been claiming they caught FBI agents impersonating militia at an armory or something? Did they even try to give some sort of actual evidence on that claim?

It's bullshit like everything else they have claimed. Hell, wouldn't surprise me a bit if they're trying to find any excuse possible to cancel their "What our goals are and when we'll leave" meeting.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 16, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is great. The militia just repeatedly failing and loving up everything they do is entertaining, even if it's frustrating that they're allowed to keep doing all these criminal things, loving up the land, and menacing the population of Burns.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The Lapine is a takeoff of The Onion made by and for Canadians.

Ah, that's disappointing. Oh well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 16, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

kartikeya posted:

https://twitter.com/Patztense/status/688177155402928128

Stupid chucklefucks taking down cameras that are there to study wildlife because they think the Feds are spying on them with them. This place is going to be such a mess by the end of things.

Ugh. At my last job we where doing surveys on penguins (little or "fairy' penguins, to be precise) and we spent a fortune on cameras to watch nesting boxes and keep an eye on their behavior off penguin isle in WA. Even a days lost video (due to the myriad things that can go wrong with internet over adsl over microwave or however the heck that link worked) would really gently caress things up with research.

There would be biologists wanting to go and waco these fuckers themselves, over that.

edit: To clarify By "WA" I mean west australia, not washington. Pretty sure there aint no fairy penguings in washington

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 16, 2016

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/2016/01/10/will-mind-control-technology-be-applied-to-the-oregon-patriots-confidential-source-says-yes/

"Will Mind Control Technology Be Applied to the Oregon Patriots? Confidential Source Says Yes"
:tinfoil:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/...

"Will Mind Control Technology Be Applied to the Oregon Patriots? Confidential Source Says Yes"
:tinfoil:

How did people survive when all we had was common sense?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

kartikeya posted:

Stupid chucklefucks taking down cameras that are there to study wildlife because they think the Feds are spying on them with them. This place is going to be such a mess by the end of things.

So these assholes are angry about cameras. Do they not consider the possibility that cameras might have existed to, say, observer wildlife in the wildlife sanctuary they've taken over for their temper tantrum?! The more I hear about these fools, the more I completely despise them. They are the worst sort of spoils children waving around deadly weapons like toys, destroying delicate resources, and demanding everyone pay attention to their nonsense. And what really gets me is that they'll likely get off Scot free and be somewhat legitimized by the media and politicians because they're almost entirely white and ridiculously right wing.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"hcommitteeofsafety.com posted:

In 1774, as the likelihood of war drew near, Committees were formed to assure that civil authority would continue. Worchester, Massachusetts, established a Committee of Safety; declared independence from British rule, discharged the militia, then opened the muster rolls, not allowing anybody with Tory sympathies to enroll, and commissioned officers; and, established courts to deal with criminal matters. They did not petition, they acted. The time for petitioning (redress of grievances) was over. They did not support candidates for the British government; they made their own government.

Couldn't be bothered to spell Worcester properly, nice

They probably pronounce it like that too, not the proper "wuss-ter"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ He forgets that the reasons they weren't just wiped off the map was a bunch of other places popped in support, the enemy was an ocean away, and they had someone that knew how to lead while others negotiated in the background. Who the gently caress is going to recognize these fools to support?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How did people survive when all we had was common sense?

My theory is back in those days people worked longer and harder every day, this kept minds from wandering when it comes to conspiracies because you were either working or sleeping

Geostomp posted:

So these assholes are angry about cameras. Do they not consider the possibility that cameras might have existed to, say, observer wildlife in the wildlife sanctuary they've taken over for their temper tantrum?! The more I hear about these fools, the more I completely despise them. They are the worst sort of spoils children waving around deadly weapons like toys, destroying delicate resources, and demanding everyone pay attention to their nonsense. And what really gets me is that they'll likely get off Scot free and be somewhat legitimized by the media and politicians because they're almost entirely white and ridiculously right wing.

These are the same people filming their crimes and building a case against themselves

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 16, 2016

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

i was happier not knowing this

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

kartikeya posted:

This makes me legitimately angry, as equipment like that does not come cheap and if it's damaged in any way the researchers are going to need to apply for another grant to replace them, which is a huge waste of their time.

gently caress these assholes.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

If it is indeed cameras used in research I'd have no qualms about participating in a kickstarter to get them replaced. Because loving nutball libertarians need to stop wrecking science.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Still waiting on an explanation here main painframe.

Please explain either why Malheur qualifies as a peaceful protest or explain why the ferguson peaceful protest was confronted with all of your pre-requisites for a 2 way massacre and yet resulted in no deaths.

...because those protesters weren't armed, is this a trick question?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

kartikeya posted:

What exasperates me, although I get that they probably had good reason (dude inside is probably armed, don't want to start a shootout in the parking lot) is that it sounds like they didn't even wait around to arrest the second guy in the other vehicle. I hope they towed the vehicle though. Let that guy have a nice hike back to the refuge with his goodies.

Also, this article was just linked via MacNab's Twitter:

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...racks/?t=399929

Dunno if the arrest that just happened means this is outdated. I hope so, because this article heavily implies the FBI are seriously just waiting around for all them to go away and not really doing anything else but creating little law enforcement forts.

edit: And oh yeah, they're not going to cut the power because that would also 'escalate things'. FFS.

People have said itt like 100000 times that they cant shut the power off cause it will also turn the power off for innocent locals. So they'd have to go on or close to the refuge and physically cut the wire. If you cant figure out why they wont do that, you're actually dumb.

Also, they apparently have generators and stolen fuel for them. So itd be pointless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

theflyingorc posted:

...because those protesters weren't armed, is this a trick question?

It's not a trick question when the person I'm asking sees no true differences between the two according to his standards for peaceful protests. I don't see a logical way that pans out, but he's made good points before this one Leomarr-ish detour so I'd like to know.

The better answer imo is because its not a peaceful protest when you brandish guns and make threats. I'm asking how someone who called Malheur and other hypothetical armed situations "peaceful protests" threads that needle.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People have said itt like 100000 times that they cant shut the power off cause it will also turn the power off for innocent locals. So they'd have to go on or close to the refuge and physically cut the wire. If you cant figure out why they wont do that, you're actually dumb.

Also, they apparently have generators and stolen fuel for them. So itd be pointless.

The first is correct

The second is not imo. These guys forgot to bring food to their years long occupation, are dumb ebough to drive BLM vehicles into town, and have recorded themselves breaking all sorts of laws. Forcing them to run a generator is exactly the sort of nonconfrontational small step I'd consider if my goal was to wear them down in a completely policeless situation.

Again, that's my opinion.

• Locked thread