Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I originally included pontoon bridges, but ran into problems with crashing using a few different mods. They'll be included if and when possible.

Until then, Forts and Citadels on the coast can form canals... Which is kind of like a reverse bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Maguoob posted:

Maybe it is because I don't really do tourism victories, but is everyone supposed to just decide to declare war on you when you're getting close to one?

That's certainly what I do to AIs who get close to tourism victories.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

JVNO posted:

As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

Enjoy!

Mondo cool! Although I ran into some bugs during my only gameplay so far:

- Capital isn't showing it's current production icon;
- Diplomacy screens always showing Mirwais' name and icon (first guy I encountered) even when it's another leader/civ;
- Found some random yellow flag icon with a "Inuit Warrior" tooltip;
- Then the Inuit capital revealed itself on the other corner of the map with no name and with a diplomat and spy icon underneath it, with the Inuit leader diplomacy screen showing up totally blank afterwards.

Then it crashed but not sure if that's modpack related.

~badong
Dec 14, 2004

JVNO posted:

As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

What does this look like in the DLC folder when you're done? Is it the MP_MODSPACK folder with three subfolders? I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still can't get any of this to show up in game.

I'm probably just way out of my wheelhouse and should stick to playing the game unmodded.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

~badong posted:

What does this look like in the DLC folder when you're done? Is it the MP_MODSPACK folder with three subfolders? I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still can't get any of this to show up in game.

Yes, that's what it looks like. And unlike other DLC, this one is automatically loaded when you start up a single player game. So you don't have to toggle a mod on or activate the relevant DLC, it's already there when you start the program.

~badong
Dec 14, 2004
That's the way I remember it working when I had it loaded on my old PC. When I changed PC's and installed, I can't get it to show up. I know I had it working at some point because I used some of the other civs. Now I don't even have the option to choose any but vanilla + the expansions.

None of the other DLC folders need removed, correct? Leave DLC_01, DLC_02, etc. right where they are in the DLC folder?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

~badong posted:

That's the way I remember it working when I had it loaded on my old PC. When I changed PC's and installed, I can't get it to show up. I know I had it working at some point because I used some of the other civs. Now I don't even have the option to choose any but vanilla + the expansions.

None of the other DLC folders need removed, correct? Leave DLC_01, DLC_02, etc. right where they are in the DLC folder?

I got the modpack working, mine looks like this:

The only folder I had to remove from there was UI_bc1 (not pictured) because that's the EUI fake DLC and it was giving me problems. You might not need all of those DLC folders, a few of them are going to be map pack DLC while you only need the expansion, leader and wonders DLC.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Negrostrike posted:

Mondo cool! Although I ran into some bugs during my only gameplay so far:

- Capital isn't showing it's current production icon;
- Diplomacy screens always showing Mirwais' name and icon (first guy I encountered) even when it's another leader/civ;
- Found some random yellow flag icon with a "Inuit Warrior" tooltip;
- Then the Inuit capital revealed itself on the other corner of the map with no name and with a diplomat and spy icon underneath it, with the Inuit leader diplomacy screen showing up totally blank afterwards.

Then it crashed but not sure if that's modpack related.

Weird- I am unable to reproduce any of these issues. Strange. If anyone else encounters this let me know. Sorry you're experiencing problems!

~badong
Dec 14, 2004

Lowen posted:

I got the modpack working, mine looks like this:

The only folder I had to remove from there was UI_bc1 (not pictured) because that's the EUI fake DLC and it was giving me problems. You might not need all of those DLC folders, a few of them are going to be map pack DLC while you only need the expansion, leader and wonders DLC.

drat, mine is the same except I have additional DLC_SP_Maps_2 and 3. Oh well, thanks for the confirmation on folders.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JVNO posted:

It usually happens when they can't fulfill the deal they proposed, or if multiple deals for the same item got cued up before your turn. For example, you may get 4 Civs proposing deals for a luxury trade when you only have 2 copies of that luxury.

Got a repeat of the mentioned "Blank Diplomacy Screen", so I took a screen cap for you as I don't think your answer is applicable in this case:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/365156556363686367/49BF69DD0F2BFD12F445645002DD7764CFAE6A8B/

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

JVNO posted:

Weird- I am unable to reproduce any of these issues. Strange. If anyone else encounters this let me know. Sorry you're experiencing problems!

Well, on my second gameplay there were none of those problems. On the first I played as the Goths, then I chose Carthage.
Civ related maybe? I'll keep testing. Good work on this modpack, I'm enjoying it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

berryjon posted:

Got a repeat of the mentioned "Blank Diplomacy Screen", so I took a screen cap for you as I don't think your answer is applicable in this case:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/365156556363686367/49BF69DD0F2BFD12F445645002DD7764CFAE6A8B/

Yeah I'm 90% sure this is related to JDH- I see it from time to time with that mod, and it has something to do with how leader popups are triggered compared to the unmodded game.

Negrostrike posted:

Well, on my second gameplay there were none of those problems. On the first I played as the Goths, then I chose Carthage.
Civ related maybe? I'll keep testing. Good work on this modpack, I'm enjoying it.

Possibly. I've tried to catch most of those bugs- a lot of mods were not designed for multiplayer, leading to things like Roosevelt's New Deal popup appearing for all players every time it triggers, or notifications related to one civs abilities (eg. 'You received X Golden Age Points because a Great Person was born!') popping up for all players. Fixing them as I come across them.

One unfortunate restriction on modding is the addition of units or buildings that can be purchased with faith- in my experience the units/buildings become available for all Civs to build. And this isn't a simple result of poor programming as far as I can tell- it seems like a limitation of the scope of modding.

~badong posted:

drat, mine is the same except I have additional DLC_SP_Maps_2 and 3. Oh well, thanks for the confirmation on folders.

I have all DLC including the folders you mentioned and it works fine for me..?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Which folder do I unzip and open the Goonpack download into?

~badong
Dec 14, 2004

JVNO posted:

I have all DLC including the folders you mentioned and it works fine for me..?

Yeah I meant that I was hoping I had something radically different so I could figure out what I was doing wrong. Since I have the same folders, must be something else.

You just fire up the game through Steam and leave the Mods and DLC option menus alone, correct?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

JVNO posted:

As promised-

Civ GoonPack CBP Edition

Most of the thanks goes to the content creators!

Enjoy!

More bug reporting:

-Great Generals seem not to spawn, at all. You get the points but they go over the cap without triggering the event. I've experienced this across multiple games so it's probably not a civ-specific issue. Likely Admirals don't spawn either, but I have been playing on Pangaeas so I haven't been able to check.

-Vanilla Lancers can appear as a militaristic city-state specialty.

-EDIT: Units get damaged by ending the turn on Bison regardless of whose territory it is, rather than just in Blackfoot land.

-EDIT2: Luxembourg shows up in some screens as Melbourne.

-This isn't specifically a bug, but the Hittite forge replacement can only be built a limited number of times, while in CBP the forge is a prerequisite for the workshop/factory/power plant line.

rotinaj posted:

Which folder do I unzip and open the Goonpack download into?

Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Assets/DLC
You should have the MP_MODPACKS folder in there.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 17, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Glidergun posted:

-EDIT: Units get damaged by ending the turn on Bison regardless of whose territory it is, rather than just in Blackfoot land.
I don't know about the rest of it but this happened in my personal fake DLC modpack too so I think it's just a Blackfoot bug.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm on vanilla Civ V and doing my first King game. I'm following the short list of no wonder building, get food into capital, eff religion, etc.
I am Babylon on a very nice start. With 3 cities and 4 bowmen and a spearman Oda Nobunger declared war on me. I don't understand at all. He came at me with 3 warriors, an archer, and a catapult (with general), I blew em all up and destroyed his general outside his capital but then a new one spawned next turn. I'm sieging but I doubt I can take it for a while, one of the problems is his cities are all clustered together so trying to get close just rips units up. Should I just give up on the game? Is this war going to gently caress me over? He'll peace out and give me Tokyo but again its sandwiched between his poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Never give up. :black101:

Babylon's one of the best civs in the game, and turtling works well for em. If Oba's not threatening your growth/science/money, then by all means, keep warring with him. As long as they're getting experience, eventually your archers will get +1 Range and +1 Attack per turn. As long as they're not taking damage and Nobunaga can't get to lands you need, there's no reason to not just sit there and besiege him until he offers a good peace treaty. If he gives you Tokyo, you can move half your units there, wait 10 turns, and pincer strike his capital.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Glidergun posted:

-Great Generals seem not to spawn, at all. You get the points but they go over the cap without triggering the event. I've experienced this across multiple games so it's probably not a civ-specific issue. Likely Admirals don't spawn either, but I have been playing on Pangaeas so I haven't been able to check.

-Vanilla Lancers can appear as a militaristic city-state specialty.

-This isn't specifically a bug, but the Hittite forge replacement can only be built a limited number of times, while in CBP the forge is a prerequisite for the workshop/factory/power plant line.

-Vanilla lancers? As opposed to a unique lancer...?
-Units getting damaged by Bison sounds like one of those 'this mod wasn't designed for multiplayer' issues- it probably doesn't even check to see if they are in the game, much less that the tile is owned by them. Should be a relatively easy fix
-You mean the City State Luxembourg is appearing as Melbourne? Probably related to some changes in the TXT_KEYS for city names caused by the addition of Australia
-Hmm... Yeah, that's not so much a bug as an unfortunate interaction between two mods. I'll see what I can do and if simply uncapping the number of forges wouldn't unbalance the game too much.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JVNO posted:

militaristic city states all have a unique unit from a civ not in the game that they'll give to you if you ally with them. If you hover over militaristic you'll see "Luxemburg has unlocked the secrets of the Samurai" or something like that, meaning that it will give you Samurai when you Ally with it. I haven't played with the mod pack yet but it sounds like the issue is something along the lines of "Luxemburg has unlocked the secrets of the Lancer" which would be less useful

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

JVNO posted:

-Units getting damaged by Bison sounds like one of those 'this mod wasn't designed for multiplayer' issues- it probably doesn't even check to see if they are in the game, much less that the tile is owned by them. Should be a relatively easy fix
-You mean the City State Luxembourg is appearing as Melbourne? Probably related to some changes in the TXT_KEYS for city names caused by the addition of Australia
-Hmm... Yeah, that's not so much a bug as an unfortunate interaction between two mods. I'll see what I can do and if simply uncapping the number of forges wouldn't unbalance the game too much.

- Exactly. The hover text for Militaristic was "This city-state knows the secret of the Lancer, if you know Metallurgy yada yada..." and it gave me a big pile of them.

-This is what I mean:

- Yeah, I don't expect all the civs to play nice with the CBP changes (example: Chile's circus replacement comes way earlier than the CBP circus), that was just a particularly bad collision.

On the bright side, it seems that Great Admirals spawn correctly. I think the problem might have to do with the alternate Ottoman civ, which is supposed to give you a choice between Great Generals and their unique Military Advisor.

EDIT: One more bug: you don't get to choose to puppet or liberate cities, it just automatically puts them under your full control. I didn't really care much when I was actively conquering, but being unable to liberate a captured city-state is very grating.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

JVNO posted:

It definitely doesn't check to see if they're there. The game where I noticed it was a single-player game a few months ago that didn't have them in that round.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It definitely doesn't check to see if they're there. The game where I noticed it was a single-player game a few months ago that didn't have them in that round.

Good news is this is most likely fixable through a lua tweak, so I should be able to release a hotfix for this issue without requiring a completely new download.

Glidergun posted:

- Yeah, I don't expect all the civs to play nice with the CBP changes (example: Chile's circus replacement comes way earlier than the CBP circus), that was just a particularly bad collision.

On the bright side, it seems that Great Admirals spawn correctly. I think the problem might have to do with the alternate Ottoman civ, which is supposed to give you a choice between Great Generals and their unique Military Advisor.

I'll try to make the Civs and CBP play together nicer, but some may end up getting cut in future versions depending on the difficulty.

As for Great Generals- I had them spawn just fine in another game I was playing (Not with the full mod pack, but it did include the Alt Ottomans and CBP) but I'll check it out when able.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

militaristic city states all have a unique unit from a civ not in the game that they'll give to you if you ally with them. If you hover over militaristic you'll see "Luxemburg has unlocked the secrets of the Samurai" or something like that, meaning that it will give you Samurai when you Ally with it. I haven't played with the mod pack yet but it sounds like the issue is something along the lines of "Luxemburg has unlocked the secrets of the Lancer" which would be less useful

Is there a unique Lancer in the game? Could be it defaults to the vanilla unit in lieu of having a qualified unique?

Side note: I actually don't know how to program LUA, and have been reverse engineering most of these bugs to the best of my ability with what I know from other programming languages (Visual Basic, R, and Python). If any folks here are particularly knowledgeable about LUA and care to help bugfix the help would be appreciated.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 17, 2016

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Uncle Jam posted:

He'll peace out and give me Tokyo but again its sandwiched between his poo poo.

Take Tokyo, sell it to another civ (preferably a nasty warmongering one), ask Oda to declare war on them, and when your peace treaty ends ask the other guy how much it's worth to him if you declare war on Japan. :hist101:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In My Games/Civ 5 folder there's a folder called cache. Inside there'll be a bunch of .db files. If you enable Debug mode (set DebugMode to 1 in usersettings.ini), there'll be a Civ5DebugDatabase.db file containing the entirety of the game's objects after loading mods. It's SQLite, so you can open it with an app like SQLiteStudio and query various bits of data.

Units, for example, are stored in the Units table, while Civilization_UnitClassOverrides marks a given unit as a 'unique' replacing a generic unit. Thus, to get all unique units in the game, the unit they replace, and the civ they're attached to, you can do the following query:

code:
SELECT uco.CivilizationType,
       uco.UnitType,
       uco.UnitClassType
  FROM Civilization_UnitClassOverrides uco
       JOIN Units u ON u.Type = uco.UnitType
       JOIN Civilizations c ON c.Type = uco.CivilizationType
Then we know (thankfully Civ5 uses very easy names) the Lancer is UnitClass UNITCLASS_LANCER, so you can filter:
code:
SELECT uco.CivilizationType,
       uco.UnitType,
       uco.UnitClassType
  FROM Civilization_UnitClassOverrides uco
       JOIN Units u ON u.Type = uco.UnitType
       JOIN Civilizations c ON c.Type = uco.CivilizationType
 WHERE uco.UnitClassType = 'UNITCLASS_LANCER';
In an unmodded game, this will yield three units:
code:
CIVILIZATION_OTTOMAN	UNIT_OTTOMAN_SIPAHI
CIVILIZATION_SWEDEN	UNIT_SWEDISH_HAKKAPELIITTA
CIVILIZATION_POLAND	UNIT_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR
City names are in the Civilization_CityNames table. So to find out if there's a conflict, you can do
code:
SELECT *
  FROM Civilization_CityNames ccn
 WHERE (
           SELECT COUNT() 
             FROM Civilization_CityNames ccn2
            WHERE ccn2.CityName = ccn.CityName
       )
>      1
 ORDER BY ccn.CityName;
and so on.
In general there's a 1:1 mapping between gameplay XML and table names.

More info in http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Debugging_%28Civ5%29

If something's weird and you don't know how to SQLite you can send your Civ5DebugDatabase.db for study. I help JVNO every now and then with this stuff, so I can read it (I dunno if he can as well). Anyone else who knows SQL would probably be welcome to help, as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Glidergun posted:

-This is what I mean:
Is Melbourne the city just south of Luxembourg by any chance? It looks like their borders connect and there's a road between them, so most likely Melbourne just owns and controls Luxembourg.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Is Melbourne the city just south of Luxembourg by any chance? It looks like their borders connect and there's a road between them, so most likely Melbourne just owns and controls Luxembourg.

No, the city south of Luxembourg is Kyzyl, who Luxembourg had conquered earlier. Melbourne is (supposed to be) replaced by Luxembourg in the mod because it's now a city in the Australia civ.

EDIT: After saving and reloading the game, now puppetting works? :confuoot: Hooray for bugs, I guess. Generals still aren't spawning, though.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 17, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I basically lost religious war with Portugal. His religion owns all cities on the continent, and I have only my holy city. I want to switch to Portugal's religion, how I can do it? I captured their holy city (capitol) but I can't find a button to switch religions.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I basically lost religious war with Portugal. His religion owns all cities on the continent, and I have only my holy city. I want to switch to Portugal's religion, how I can do it? I captured their holy city (capitol) but I can't find a button to switch religions.

You can't press a button to switch religions. Having a Holy city of your own makes it extremely unlikely you'll lose it in that city due to how it will consistently spawn there as long as there are available pops to convert. Portugal would need to use Inquisitors and Great Prophets to wipe your religion out and replace it with their own, but the AI usually doesn't do that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

berryjon posted:

Portugal would need to use Inquisitors and Great Prophets to wipe your religion out and replace it with their own, but the AI usually doesn't do that.

Plus iirc you can't wipe out a holy city with an inquisitor unless you own it. Great Prophets only reduce the follower population to 0, but holy cities still exert base influence. Still, like most problems you'll encounter in Civ games, the best way to win a religious tug of war is with :black101:

I liked it better in Civ 4, honestly. You could utilize it directly for about half the game, it kinda gets outdated later on, and there was no penalty for getting other religions in your cities. It was a bonus, not a battle.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 17, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

the best way to win a religious tug of war is with :black101:

True, but he's already admitted he's lost, and wants to convert his capital/holy city to Portugal's.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

berryjon posted:

True, but he's already admitted he's lost, and wants to convert his capital/holy city to Portugal's.

This. In Civ4 I could switch religions with a button, and I think I got the benefits too if I owned the holy city. Maybe if I'll eracidate all cities from Portugal... then they don't exist anymore and can't own the religion.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

This mod rules pretty hard. I set up a standard size king level game as Ethiopia, with Hitler, Churchhill and Mussolini and a bunch of random people, random map. Got archipelago, with Shaka, Chile, New Zealand, and the Beothuk. I went pretty hard for a culture victory early on and managed to get influential over my first civ in the year 1000ad or something absurd like that. I also rushed archeologists and did enough artifact sniping that I got the "losing my marbles" achievement. One thing I noticed is you actually need mutual open borders in order to dig artifacts, having just open borders in their territory lets you move to the site but doesn't let you dig. That was confusing me for a bit and slowed down my progress.

The start of the game was extremely chill, there were no wars to speak of until the modern era. Most leaders actually voted for me when I started the world congress (later renamed to the Dank Weed Conclave, after the most popular religion in the world).
Hitler occasionally stirred up poo poo by mugging city states, but for the most part was one of the most friendly leaders until I tried to force the world to adopt Dank Weed as the official religion. Everyone got icy after that. They even voted me out as head of the Dank Weed Conclave in favor of Hitler. Hitler denounced me even though he didn't have a religion of his own and Dank Weed was in the majority of his cities. He was clearly going for a diplomatic victory, he had the most votes in the Dank Weed Conclave, and his votes were always for forming the UN or loving with my chances at a cultural victory, even though we were bros.

There was a push from every single civ around the 1600s when ocean-faring and pioneer tech had been developed to colonize every last bit of the map, so I grabbed about 3 islands ranging from 1-3 land tiles, but all with at least one luxury resource. It was totally a race, I had to move my settlers and pioneers out of areas when other settlers beat me by one turn. When this was done my city count had doubled and the map was completely filled in, even the arctic islands. The scores went something like Shaka had double my points due to city spamming while everyone else had about the same number of points as I did. I maintained an extreme technological and cultural edge throughout the game. Later in the game a travel ban was passed and stood for several world congress sessions, that hosed my tourism. After that, I took securing city-state votes much more seriously.

I went communist long before anyone else got an ideology and had things set up so that I would get influential over the last few civs (Chile and New Zealand) in around 50 turns, but about then everyone started adopting ideologies. New Zealand, Chile, and Churchhill all went freedom. Mussolini went Fascist, while Shaka, Hitler, and the Beothuk followed me into glorious communism. The first war of the game was of the game was a spat where Chile declared war on Hitler. Nothing much happened during the war, no cities were captured, and it ended after some time.

With me positioned to win a culture victory and rebellions forming in several civs due to the extreme dominance of order, a much bigger war was inevitable. New Zealand declared war on me and captured and burned down my two western islands with his special torpedo boats while Mussolini also declared war on me and captured my eastern island with his special ironclads. This ruined my tourism, all of those cities had fully themed museums in them :argh:. My influence over New Zealand and Chile actually fell during the war, how dare they! Then Churchhill and Chile joined in the dogpile. My economy also crashed because all my trade routes were going to Chile and New Zealand for the tourism bonus. Luckily, I had just researched destroyers long before anyone else, and I had a pile of cash to use upgrading my ironclads. I bribed Shaka to declare war on Italy and set my remaining 4 cities set to spam destroyers, and the rest was inevitable. Eventually, Hitler, the Beothuk, and Shaka also declared war on the UK all on their own.

Shaka and Mussolini ended up trading a bunch of cities, but in the end, Italy kept all their cities and Shaka ended up in control of my old eastern island city.

The UK had cities all over the map, which was great for the Beothuk because now they're all Beothuk cities.

When everything was all over, I had gone from the smallest to the 3rd largest military, got the atom bomb (but never used it), captured one city from the UK and forced them to capitulate (they have one arctic settlement left), captured two island cities from Chile and got a white peace (they have a huge island with several cities), and finally captured two major cities from New Zealand and forced them to capitulate (they have two major cities left, including their original capital). The two New Zealand cities were centers of culture and tourism, so capturing them ended the war and secured me my cultural victory, which happened in 1962 and got me the workers of the world, unite! cheevo.

The glorious birthplace of communism:

Glidergun posted:

More bug reporting:

I had a great admiral spawn, so that's working fine. I didn't do enough land fighting to get a great general to spawn.

I also noticed some city state tooltips, etc are off:

e: I also got the thing where I couldn't puppet cities.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 17, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Zopotantor posted:

Take Tokyo, sell it to another civ (preferably a nasty warmongering one), ask Oda to declare war on them, and when your peace treaty ends ask the other guy how much it's worth to him if you declare war on Japan. :hist101:

Oh shiiit, drat yeah!
Selling cities never entered my mind.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So I picked this up (along with the other civs) in the humble bundle recently. I played the tutorial match and I think I understand how to play, but I must be missing something about winning via domination. I know this question is eerily similar to one in the OP, but it didn't really answer my question.

Once I realized that Greece was the only other faction on the map in the tutorial game, I wiped the floor with him. I took over all of his cities and even got the "What? You've defeated me? Impossibru" message from him, but did not win the game. So I figured I must need to take out the city states as well, annihilated all of those, too, and still did not win. So I figured there must still be some barbarians around, found the camps and wiped them out, and yet still did not win. It seems the barbarians just respawn infinitely and the only way I can think of to avoid that happening would be to space out units such that no tiles are hidden in the fog of war, but surely this is not a requirement for victory?

In fact, reading the supplemental material suggests that not only have I won, but I should have achieved victory something like three hours before I ultimately gave up, since taking over the capitol city was all I needed to do.

What am I missing? I looked for a menu option or button to manually declare victory but could not find it. Is this a tutorial thing where I broke the sequence by not doing things in the right order or something?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's possible. Alternatively, the tutorial might not have a proper victory screen. Fwiw, I never played the tutorial and just learned it on the fly on an easier difficulty alongside the advisor prompts. I may have missed some strategy stuff from it, but at that point, I can just read up on it

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For domination you should get a victory screen as soon as you control all capitals in the world. My guess would be that the tutorial map broke at some point (either by you doing something or, much more likely, that a patch or expansion did it). Just ignore it and start a real game instead. :)

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I don't think I ever played the tutorial but it probably broke, if it's anything like Civ IV's was. Just throw yourself into a low-difficulty game, especially since you now (presumably) know the controls. You can even turn on advice/hints in the options menu.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

So I picked this up (along with the other civs) in the humble bundle recently. I played the tutorial match and I think I understand how to play, but I must be missing something about winning via domination. I know this question is eerily similar to one in the OP, but it didn't really answer my question.

Once I realized that Greece was the only other faction on the map in the tutorial game, I wiped the floor with him. I took over all of his cities and even got the "What? You've defeated me? Impossibru" message from him, but did not win the game. So I figured I must need to take out the city states as well, annihilated all of those, too, and still did not win. So I figured there must still be some barbarians around, found the camps and wiped them out, and yet still did not win. It seems the barbarians just respawn infinitely and the only way I can think of to avoid that happening would be to space out units such that no tiles are hidden in the fog of war, but surely this is not a requirement for victory?

In fact, reading the supplemental material suggests that not only have I won, but I should have achieved victory something like three hours before I ultimately gave up, since taking over the capitol city was all I needed to do.

What am I missing? I looked for a menu option or button to manually declare victory but could not find it. Is this a tutorial thing where I broke the sequence by not doing things in the right order or something?

Are you doing this in the tutorial? It's possible that they turned of winning conditions for that. The domination victory should require you to have all other capitals. Just to make it explicit, should Greece conquer the capital of Spain, Madrid, then you have to take it from Greece, as well as Athens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Playing as the Incas. Where do I put this city? I'm thinking on the Marble or where the Warrior is right now, but perhaps being coastal would be better?

• Locked thread