Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That goes well with Cameron's plan to eject anyone who fails an english language test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Statement by Khamenei on the attempts to appeal the Guardian Council rulings on the 99% of reformist and moderate candidates who were banned from the elections. The speaker of parliament, Ali Larijani, and Rouhani have protested against it by citing the Supreme Leaders wish for "open and lively elections." We're something like halfway through the 20 day window in which candidates can appeal the ruling.

https://twitter.com/abasinfo/status/689750723857367040

https://twitter.com/abasinfo/status/689760208780918784

:rip:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 20, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Liberal_L33t posted:

These are the people who have been aupporting ISIS though. Even if they weren't actually picking up a gun and fighting for ISIS, anyone who collaborated with them deserves to be made an example of.

Don't be like that. They lived there, they hardly voted to invite ISIS there. Not to mention the innocent children who will die homeless thanks to some genocidal Peshmerga dicks.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Look, it's pretty simple. ISIS would have killed them if they didn't cooperate. So anyone still alive in ISIS territory must be cooperating with them, and thus needs to die. It sounds harsh, but it's the only way to stop ISIS and those who work with them from harming innocent people.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry Salami posted:

Look, it's pretty simple. ISIS would have killed them if they didn't cooperate. So anyone still alive in ISIS territory must be cooperating with them, and thus needs to die. It sounds harsh, but it's the only way to stop ISIS and those who work with them from harming innocent people.

It's a tough chocie but I'm glad the peshmerga are bad enough to make it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

Lol you'd be in the streets chanting for kuffar blood within 5 minutes of ISIS showing up in your town.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Angry Salami posted:

A horde of barbarians invests your town you either get with the program or get dead real fast.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

Look, it's pretty simple.
I am pretty sure the middle east is in its current state because faaaaaaar too many people started their arguments with "look it's pretty simple".

az
Dec 2, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

I am pretty sure the middle east is in its current state because faaaaaaar too many people started their arguments with "look it's pretty simple".

Tbf it's always a relief when that phrase is not followed by a call for mispelled nuclear dehumanification.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Lol you'd be in the streets chanting for kuffar blood within 5 minutes of ISIS showing up in your town.

Toplowtech posted:

:thejoke:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not convinced. This thread has no bottom.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Every human who does not fight daily to end killing is a complicit in murder. Kill all humans, it's the only just solution.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mlmp08 posted:

Every human who does not fight daily to end killing is a complicit in murder. Kill all humans, it's the only just solution.

Now this I can get behind.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

ComradeKane posted:

So, to be clear, the Russians are now legitimately also bombing the Islamic State, and their intervention on behalf of Assad is actually working in at least a modest sense?
This seems to go against so many predictions in this thread...

The supposed collaboration between Assad and ISIS has been overstated somewhat by some people in this thread, the front lines between them have always been active, and often intensive. There has always been fierce fighting around Deir Ezzor (It is looking grim for the SAA - and lets face it, the civilians - in that city, unless they can push ISIS back with RUAF help), and currently the SAA are advancing East/North from Aleppo and getting close to the ISIS stronghold of Al-Bab, and there is ongoing back and forth between ISIS and the SAA near Palmyra. Certainly though, the SAA is going to concentrate any freely available forces on defending Latakia and Damascus, rather than putting together an expeditionary force to retake Palmyra. Alas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

:agreed:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

"Kill them all and let God sort them out; it's the only way to stop them!" isn't any more moral when we do it. Do their commanders, foreign fighters who travel to Iraq and Syria to be a part of the group, and people involved in human trafficking and other atrocities deserve to die? Absolutely, and they are. But can you say the same about some scared 15 year old from the Sheitat tribe who just saw a few hundred of his clansmen get massacred and "joins" to avoid a similar fate?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

suboptimal posted:

"Kill them all and let God sort them out; it's the only way to stop them!" isn't any more moral when we do it. Do their commanders, foreign fighters who travel to Iraq and Syria to be a part of the group, and people involved in human trafficking and other atrocities deserve to die? Absolutely, and they are. But can you say the same about some scared 15 year old from the Sheitat tribe who just saw a few hundred of his clansmen get massacred and "joins" to avoid a similar fate?

Poster's not serious.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Volkerball posted:

I'm not convinced. This thread has no bottom.

It's pretty clearly satire to me.

Anyway, any further news on Jarabalus?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ComradeKane posted:

So, to be clear, the Russians are now legitimately also bombing the Islamic State, and their intervention on behalf of Assad is actually working in at least a modest sense?

What happened to the TOW campaign, anyway?
WaPo is saying that the TOW supply is slowing down, any reason for that?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7d51_story.html

Either because of fighting with SDF, a change in Saudi policy the outcome of which is yet to be seen, or just a trickle until peace talks definitely fail. It's unclear, but some new Czech weapons appeared in Latakia last week so the supply line is still intact.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like a successful suicide bomb of some sort at or near the Russian embassy in Kabul.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

An Amnesty International report alleging that the Iraqi Kurds have been leveling arab villages landed yesterday

Summary
Full Report

From a purely strategic point of view, it looks like the Kurds are building up a buffer around their territory.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
ISIS captured a SA-6 anti air launcher in the Deir Ezzor arms depot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So what are the odds it gets blown up before Daesh finds people who know how to use it?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

according to reddit it's "probably not in working order" but we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been bombed already, I'm sure it's a priority target

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ComradeKane posted:

What happened to the TOW campaign, anyway?
WaPo is saying that the TOW supply is slowing down, any reason for that?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7d51_story.html

Based on this latest dispatch from the Southern Front, rumors of the TOW program's demise seem to have been greatly exaggerated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLO4IFFbFEI

TOWs start showing up at 2:40. There's gonna be a lot of crispy SAA tanks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So ISIS captured a SAM in Deir Ezzor today.

https://twitter.com/DeirEzzor24/status/689783908385292289
https://twitter.com/DeirEzzor24/status/689775512013688833

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K12_Kub

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Haystack posted:

An Amnesty International report alleging that the Iraqi Kurds have been leveling arab villages landed yesterday

Summary
Full Report

From a purely strategic point of view, it looks like the Kurds are building up a buffer around their territory.

They are 100%, and basically creating a line in the sand of their territory, and will eventually vote for an independent state of Kurdistan as long as their economy doesn't totally crash which is where it is heading. There is a very real risk that Kirkuk and Diyala there will be territory disputes between Peshmerga and ISF/Hashd al-Shabi.

Also in Kurdistan protests have started again over the no governmental pay in certain sectors for 4-5 months now and proposition of cutting government pays in half, as well as high unemployment.

Also; http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/takes-control-rmeilan-airfield-syria-160119141331681.html

quote:

US 'takes control' of Rmeilan airfield in Syria

Under a deal with Kurdish group, activists say US will use airfield to support fighters against ISIL in northern Syria.

US troops have taken control of Rmeilan airfield in Syria's northern province of Hasakah to support Kurdish fighters against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a spokesperson for the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Flavahbeast posted:

according to reddit it's "probably not in working order"

New thread title:

Middle East: According to Reddit it's "probably not in working order"

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Speaking of TOWs, looks like the Southern Front has a healthy amount:

https://twitter.com/bm21_grad/status/689848870663278592?s=17

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lascivious Sloth posted:

They are 100%, and basically creating a line in the sand of their territory, and will eventually vote for an independent state of Kurdistan as long as their economy doesn't totally crash which is where it is heading. There is a very real risk that Kirkuk and Diyala there will be territory disputes between Peshmerga and ISF/Hashd al-Shabi.

Also in Kurdistan protests have started again over the no governmental pay in certain sectors for 4-5 months now and proposition of cutting government pays in half, as well as high unemployment.

Also; http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/takes-control-rmeilan-airfield-syria-160119141331681.html

Tell me more about why their economy is going to crash. Low price of oil?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did you hear about ISSIS capturing a surface to air missile launcher system?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Flavahbeast posted:

according to reddit it's "probably not in working order" but we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been bombed already, I'm sure it's a priority target

TildeATH posted:

New thread title:

Middle East: According to Reddit it's "probably not in working order"
I still remain astounded that r/ Syrian Civil War is as good for news/analysis as it is.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

quote:

"Under a deal with the YPG, the US was given control of the airport. The purpose of this deal is to back up the SDF, by providing weapons and an airbase for US warplanes," Taj Kordsh, a media activist from the SDF told Al Jazeera on Tuesday.

"This airport was previously controlled by the YPG for over two years now. This strategic airport is close to several oil bases - one of the biggest in this area. "Rmeilan airport was previously used for agricultural purposes by the Syrian government," he said.

Previous reports published by the Syrian Local Coordination Committees say that the US has been preparing and expanding Rmeilan airport for a while now.

When asked by Al Jazeera, a US CENTCOM media operations officer did not confirm or deny the reports.
Ahaha there's that old standby, "we can neither confirm nor deny these reports". So yep, the US now has an airport in Rmeilan near Hasakah. Awesome.

Probably related:
https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/NewsReports/566513-russia-considering-airbase-in-syrias-qamishli-monitor

quote:

Russia has reportedly been studying the feasibility of converting the civilian international airport in northeast Syria into an airbase for its expanding aerial operations on behalf of the Bashar al-Assad regime.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights on Tuesday night cited activists as saying that in recent days they spotted Russian officers and engineers arriving at the airport in the Hasakeh city of Qamishli, where both Kurdish and regime security forces maintain an uneasy power-sharing agreement.

Russian officials were conducting studies on the airport with the aim of bolstering its defenses and expanding the facility so that it can be used by Russian fighter jets and cargo planes, the monitoring NGO added.

Meanwhile, the activist Local Coordination Committees claimed that a delegation of Russian troops had flown into Qamishli International Airport. “One hundred Russian soldiers, including ten officers of different ranks, arrived Monday morning at Qamishli airport on a special Syrian military aircraft,” the network of local activist groups reported overnight Tuesday.
Seems like Russia wants its own airport to counterbalance the US one. Or if you want a slightly more benign reading, they want an airport to ensure the defense of Deir Ez-Zor (and maybe Palmrya later), and Qamishli is much, much closer to Deir Ez-Zor than Latakia is.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

fade5 posted:

I still remain astounded that r/ Syrian Civil War is as good for news/analysis as it is.

Most images I reversed searched of "starvation in Madaya" was old and from other places, while others could be real.
I don't say there wasn't large scale starvation there, but when "activists" become blatant lying propagandists somethings wrong and you're damaging the cause you supposedly try to advocate.[+30]

Assad is the last person to start using chemicals. The fact that there is an attack ONE DAY after UN inspectors arrive smells.. It smells really really bad. We can't say who did it. Assad will deny everything and the rebels will say Assad did it. But there have been cases where the rebels kill civilians and their own men to get some shots of people dying just to get the western opinion on their side. Russia on one end and the US and EU on the other side is very dangerous. All in all I think Assad has nothing to do with this particular attack and I feel this is a very very dirty and low action from the rebels to get the western world on their side..[+50]

great discussion on r/syriancivilwar

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Angry Salami posted:

ISIL will kill them if they don't cooperate, so its their duty to prevent ISILites from killing them by killing ISILites themselves.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

/r/syriancivilwar is super pro Russian and/or pro Turkish in the early AM hours EST then mellows out a bit during the day, the mods do a really good job of keeping things civil all things considered

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Tell me more about why their economy is going to crash. Low price of oil?

The economy of the KRG has not been in good shape since relations with the central government over the budget broke down and they stopped receiving their share of federal funds. They tried plugging the gap purely with oil sales (enraging Baghdad even more) but even before the oil prices slumped they where struggling to cover their costs, a lot of people are on the KRG's payroll and maintaining government employees salaries costs over a billion every 2 months. Now oil has gone way south and they still have a war to try to fund, as well as a lot of refugees to deal with which naturally puts even more strain on the domestic economy, so things are looking very bad. Also, not to help matters, they owe a lot of money - not least of all to the oil companies operating in the KRG who have not received their share of the profits and have been threatening to slash production in protest

Turkey gave them a half a billion loan a while back but they burned through that pretty fast. Now massive departmental budgets cuts are kicking in and they are trying to half public employees salaries to try to stem the bleeding, which isn't going down very well.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

sparatuvs posted:

Most images I reversed searched of "starvation in Madaya" was old and from other places, while others could be real.
I don't say there wasn't large scale starvation there, but when "activists" become blatant lying propagandists somethings wrong and you're damaging the cause you supposedly try to advocate.[+30]

Assad is the last person to start using chemicals. The fact that there is an attack ONE DAY after UN inspectors arrive smells.. It smells really really bad. We can't say who did it. Assad will deny everything and the rebels will say Assad did it. But there have been cases where the rebels kill civilians and their own men to get some shots of people dying just to get the western opinion on their side. Russia on one end and the US and EU on the other side is very dangerous. All in all I think Assad has nothing to do with this particular attack and I feel this is a very very dirty and low action from the rebels to get the western world on their side..[+50]

great discussion on r/syriancivilwar
No matter where you are, you have to learn to look though and filter out the idiocy to get to the useful stuff. See the MIGF post three posts above the one I'm currently typing for a prime example of idiocy that should be ignored.

The first one is definitely loaded term-wise, but re-use of images/videos with a new title is incredibly common and should be noted when it happens.

Sadly, conspiracies about the Ghouta chemical attacks are common everywhere that's even tangentially related to Syria and the war; the conspiracies are rather depressing, but not unexpected since it proves Assad's hosed up enough to used chemical weapons and makes defending him nigh-impossible.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Amnesty International's apparent indifference to issues with other Islamic extremist faction crimes while focusing on the Kurds seems kind of strange.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Torpor posted:

Amnesty International's apparent indifference to issues with other Islamic extremist faction crimes while focusing on the Kurds seems kind of strange.

Well go on then! Which other extremist islamic factions is Amnesty indifferent towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well go on then! Which other extremist islamic factions is Amnesty indifferent towards?

Hamas and Hezbollah, to start.

• Locked thread