Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Nile live?

Hope you really like their music, because there is nothing in the way of stage presence. Though I guess that could be said about most extreme metal bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Nile strikes me as the type of band that might sound pretty lousy live -- like all that fast playing would just blur together. I'm thinking of seeing them too, but I don't want to go if I can't even tell what song they're playing.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
Nile is tight as all hell live. But like that other guy said, they have no stage presence.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
^ With song titles such as ""Dusk Falls Upon the Temple of the Serpent on the Mount of Sunrise" I wouldn't expect them to.

I hear Karl Sanders is an absolute pro though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kajeto posted:

Nile is tight as all hell live. But like that other guy said, they have no stage presence.

I don't go there to see them dance around like assholes, I'm there to see old dudes play a bunch of notes on the guitar while another dude hits the drums a lot.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
Oh trust me, I was not complaining with that comment. It was quite an impressive show and had a good time. But it is quite different from another extreme band like Suffocation, where they're tight and at the same time they're going nuts headbanging, they're a blast to see live.

It all comes down to whether you enjoy seeing some dudes just standing there doing their thing playing super fast metal or not. If I like the band I don't really care what they're doing, but I can see why some people would have a problem with that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RIP Chief Spires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzI-rN_9T0U

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Cumming Upon the rear end in a top hat of Set who Fucks My Ancient Scrolls

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't go there to see them dance around like assholes, I'm there to see old dudes play a bunch of notes on the guitar while another dude hits the drums a lot.

There is a space between dancing around like an rear end in a top hat and staring at your fretboard for 45 minutes straight.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FanaticalMilk posted:

There is a space between dancing around like an rear end in a top hat and staring at your fretboard for 45 minutes straight.

I'd be ecstatic to go see these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recK4cNLIL4

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

^^^^^^^Well that's a bummer, I really liked their new album a lot. But now I know not to waste my money on a ticket.

kajeto posted:

Oh trust me, I was not complaining with that comment. It was quite an impressive show and had a good time. But it is quite different from another extreme band like Suffocation, where they're tight and at the same time they're going nuts headbanging, they're a blast to see live.

Frank Mullen is the greatest death metal frontman there is. That man could get me to start a circle pit at my grandmother's funeral.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I may be going to the Nile show in Greenville, SC which is their tour opener I think. I haven't listened to much of their stuff, but gently caress it, death metal within 30 minutes of my house.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

FanaticalMilk posted:

^^^^^^^Well that's a bummer, I really liked their new album a lot. But now I know not to waste my money on a ticket.

Frank Mullen is the greatest death metal frontman there is. That man could get me to start a circle pit at my grandmother's funeral.

more mgla tickets for me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

more mgla tickets for me

I'm going to stand there and stare at their guitars while they're staring at their guitars.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's what i do at all concerts anyway

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

muike posted:

Cumming Upon the rear end in a top hat of Set who Fucks My Ancient Scrolls

Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Our Guitarist Against Insults From He Who Lurks On The Internet

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Papyrus Containing The Spell To Preserve Our Guitarist Against Insults From He Who Lurks On The Internet

Wait, have they been dedicating a song to "lol internet trolls who hurt my feelings" this whole tour? :allears: I thought they were just grumpy the other night in Louisville.

Edit:

KingKapalone posted:

Dittoing the "zero charisma or stage presence" although the first couple of times I saw them it felt refreshing that they just shut up and played. They sounded fine the other day but I'm not so familiar with the last couple of albums so the setlist didn't grab me as much as it has in the past :shrug:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 21, 2016

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I'm listening to the new Megadeth and it's.... not bad??????

What sorcery is this? (Then again it doesn't take much to be better than Super Collider)

I mean there's some awful moments (that Mega Man song that's the loving title track is laffo).

But the Conquer and Die+ Lying in State is actually pretty cool (for a thrash band on their 15th album)

Probably best since Endgame (which was criminally underrated), but nowhere near their heyday.

Sound about right? (Yes Dave Mustaine is an rear end in a top hat- opinion without mentioning Dave being a nutjob thx)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

the yeti posted:

Wait, have they been dedicating a song to "lol internet trolls who hurt my feelings" this whole tour?

Somehow I ran across a Youtube of the two guitarists demonstrating how to play a few of their songs. They seemed like chill dudes who put some thought into what they played and why.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Somehow I ran across a Youtube of the two guitarists demonstrating how to play a few of their songs. They seemed like chill dudes who put some thought into what they played and why.

Yeah I mean I know the video you mean I think, but the other night they def went on a gently caress the internet hater troll false metal weenie meanies right in their collective pussy rant mid set and I was really perplexed about whether it was a weird angle to hype the crowd or if they're mad about facebook comments.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Uhh I made it up in reference to nothing, actually

I was just imagining making fun of the fat guy in Nile for being fat

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Hope you really like their music, because there is nothing in the way of stage presence. Though I guess that could be said about most extreme metal bands.
I literally forgot I saw them until KingKapalone asked about their live show. They played support for King Diamond and I only remembered The Black Dahlia Murder and Behemoth from that show

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the yeti posted:

Yeah I mean I know the video you mean I think, but the other night they def went on a gently caress the internet hater troll false metal weenie meanies right in their collective pussy rant mid set and I was really perplexed about whether it was a weird angle to hype the crowd or if they're mad about facebook comments.

Trolling the dudes from Nile sounds like a lot of fun

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The dudes in Nile are mellow as hell, but when it comes to facebook, they don't take any poo poo.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
This may be borderline for the metal thread, but I really enjoyed this new Venomous Concept album. Pretty no-frills grind-influenced hardcore from members of Napalm Death + Brutal Truth. It's the most fun I've had with an album so far this year. I just wish King Buzzo was still in the band.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Considering how fat Karl's fingers are, his skill as a guitarist is pretty drat impressive.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

Considering how fat Karl's fingers are, his skill as a guitarist is pretty drat impressive.
I thought Michael Romeo had sausage fingers, but poo poo, Karl Sanders has flat-out bratwursts

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

stab posted:

I'm listening to the new Megadeth and it's.... not bad??????

What sorcery is this? (Then again it doesn't take much to be better than Super Collider)

I mean there's some awful moments (that Mega Man song that's the loving title track is laffo).

But the Conquer and Die+ Lying in State is actually pretty cool (for a thrash band on their 15th album)

Probably best since Endgame (which was criminally underrated), but nowhere near their heyday.

Sound about right? (Yes Dave Mustaine is an rear end in a top hat- opinion without mentioning Dave being a nutjob thx)
Yeah, from the three singles they released, it sounded like Dystopia was gearing up to be their best post-System has Failed album (which I think is also a criminally underrated album).

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I really liked their show when I saw them some years ago with Krisiun and Immolation :shobon:.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I didn't really have the time to notice Nile having any "stage present" at all as I was headbanging the gently caress out in the middle of a massive pit when I saw them two years ago. They sounded really tight and passionate. I'm not even a huge fan or something although Annihilation of the wicked is a pretty good album.

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 21, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm very, very picky about metal but this is fantastic. Thanks. Bought their latest full-length release from Bandcamp which is also killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ91RYD4Gaw

Would recommend for fans of Xerath, Devin Townsend, Neurotech, Samael and Sybreed. I like this stuff. It's like ... progressive sci-fi, industrial symphonic metal. Or whatever.

This is really good but it's too bad the riff is absolutely buried behind the symphonic stuff. I still really like it though.

Can anyone recommend bands that do this sort of stuff?

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 21, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm trying to remember the name of a certain pagan metal band, whom I believe are Ukrainian, but I can't think of their name. They've got an album cover where there's a big guy in a fiery kind of workplace hammering an anvil. Also, they might be fascists. Any ideas?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Saying that a Ukrainian band might be fascist is pretty redundant.

edit: oh also, you're probably looking for Голос сталі by Nokturnal Mortum

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Nokturnal_Mortum/%D0%93%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%81_%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%96/257430

Nokturnal Mortum are 100% definitely and completely neo-Nazis. They just try to hide it these days.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 21, 2016

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MrBling posted:

Saying that a Ukrainian band might be fascist is pretty redundant.

edit: oh also, you're probably looking for Голос сталі by Nokturnal Mortum

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Nokturnal_Mortum/%D0%93%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%81_%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%96/257430

Nokturnal Mortum are 100% definitely and completely neo-Nazis. They just try to hide it these days.

Yes! That's the album. I've been on a viking/pagan metal kick lately with Moonsorrow announcing their new album is coming out on April 1st.

... The neo-Nazi fun fact is unfortunate.

Also here's some Thyrfing because it's good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Zj0hPX2Kc

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a certain pagan metal band, whom I believe are Ukrainian, but I can't think of their name. They've got an album cover where there's a big guy in a fiery kind of workplace hammering an anvil. Also, they might be fascists. Any ideas?

anvil + ukraine + runes + black metal = neo nazis

anvil + ukraine + black metal = neo nazis

ukraine + black metal = neo nazis

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

anvil + ukraine + runes + black metal = neo nazis

anvil + ukraine + black metal = neo nazis

ukraine + black metal = neo nazis

brb copying this formula to an Excel spreadsheet

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm at work and can't listen to it, someone tell me how hilariously cheesy the new Dream Theater song is:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6851509/dream-theater-moment-of-betrayal-song-premiere-the-astonishing-album

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Popular Human posted:

I'm at work and can't listen to it, someone tell me how hilariously cheesy the new Dream Theater song is:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6851509/dream-theater-moment-of-betrayal-song-premiere-the-astonishing-album

Okay, I took one for the team. First of all, I was totally distracted by this photo and was laughing while I was listening, so keep this in mind.

The bottom line is that it's your totally generic Dream Theater song. Start off with piano, a few strings, then come in with chugga guitar pattern, typical La Brie chorus, break to typical beep boop beep instrumental run with guitar/keyboard harmony.

It doesn't suck and I guess you'll like it if you're a fan, but it's the same poo poo they've been doing since forever.

C+

edit: I read a little more and apparently I missed the AWESOME story... the song is about Gabriel communicating to his brother Arhys that he has a plan that he thinks can save them, “but there’s a betrayal theme that’s going on in the story that comes to a head,” says Petrucci.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Popular Human posted:

A lot more restrained than the second disc of Six Degrees, honestly. It's not something I'd listen to on purpose, but this track isn't the cheeseball trainwreck I was expecting. It's just sort of... there.