Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you get mad, or even hold any sort of hope/faith in that situation?

I mean, were his parents killed by math or something, and as such he refuses to acknowledge this poo poo? I don't know much about that particular game or it's mechanics, but it seems to be an obvious outcome.

Is the arrogance of nerds that they can and must win all scenarios, regardless of facts, the real grief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Far as I know, Zeke's always been like that for streams. It must have taken months for him to beat Boshy on a dare, and gorram would Boshy be beaten.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

McGiggins posted:

Why would you get mad, or even hold any sort of hope/faith in that situation?

I mean, were his parents killed by math or something, and as such he refuses to acknowledge this poo poo? I don't know much about that particular game or it's mechanics, but it seems to be an obvious outcome.

Is the arrogance of nerds that they can and must win all scenarios, regardless of facts, the real grief?
Darkest Dungeon is designed to make you either suicidally depressed or violently outraged. The whole point is knowing when to cut and run and as you could have seen the boss was on a sliver of health. This ~could~ have been a narrow victory. If you think like that then there is much mental stress in your future in Darkest Dungeon.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, amending statement:

Given that it was such a narrow margin of victory, it seems to me that his reaction was inverse.

If his chance of losing was narrow, and he lost, it would be understandable that you get all "WTF BRO" or whatever. It would be an unexpected outcome, hence the emotional reaction.

If your chance of winning is narrow, it is expected that you will lose and the outcome shouldn't drive you to rage. The outcome is expected, and as such should not be so... explosive.

His reaction is irrational, based on the probabilities of win/loss in the given scenario.

That said, you say the game is purposefully designed to elicit these reactions, so perhaps the expected response is appropriately inverted.

Who knows.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cartoon posted:

This ~could~ have been a narrow victory.
Actually there was zero chance because the skeletons remain even after defeating the necromancer. He's just an idiot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Zeke's gimmick is being loud and dumb

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jackard posted:

Actually there was zero chance because the skeletons remain even after defeating the necromancer. He's just an idiot.

someone said you just had to kill the necromancer to beat the quest. so he could have just beaten the necromancer and wiped and the quest would have been finished?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Since we're saving griefs, there are a few beautiful tabletop griefs that were posted in this thread:

McScumbag posted:

I know this is a mostly video game discussion, but does tabletop count?

I will give a story, if its terrible, please say so. I have tons of tabletop griefing stories.

Edit: Holy gently caress that story is longer than I thought it would be. Short version is at the very bottom, detailed version is in the actual story.

My first story takes us into the world of Battletech. This happened recently.

At the local game store I play, we have a battletech campaign going on. In this we are playing Clans vs. Inner Sphere. Its about even between players, and I chose to be an Inner Sphere player. In this most people have chosen to be different Houses for IS players, or to represent Clans for the Clan players. Since there were no houses left, mine are painted up as a mercenary unit, so I chose that, but limited to IS tech and mechs.
In this campaign, people get really into it, but most realize its just a game. You know we jokingly trade insults between IS and Clan players, but are friends for the most part after.

Then there is this one guy. Lets call him Bill.
Bill is the ultimate neckbeard. He plays Warhammer 40K, Warhammer Fantasy, and Battletech, amongst other games. He is one of those that will argue that your marines are not properly colored, and will comment, quite loudly, that you are using a non-tournament, inefficient build, even in a friendly game where you're just testing something out. While I have nothing against powergaming, he is the ultimate powergamer neckbeard. He switches to new armies in all these games any time a new army or book comes out, making another army a little stronger.

And I got matched up against him. Now Bill is a massive Clan fan. He has read all the Battletech books. And every time he plays, he practically roleplays being a Clan pilot. He gets vein poppingly mad if other people using clan mechs don't follow their stupid pretend rules, such as fighting only one mech on one mech. Basically some kind of stupid honor system they have in the Battletech stories.

So he spends all day when I get there a couple hours before our match, saying how he is going to defeat me. Even issues his stupid challenge, saying 'one mech on one, ok?'. Turns out Im defending a city map, and if he wins he takes the capitol of this region the IS had been defending. Losing it meant a major step in victory in the campaign for the Clanners.

I agree to his lovely challenge, then realize as we are setting up, I don't have to follow his poo poo. I play Inner Sphere! So I watch as he sets up his only mech, a Dire Wolf with his elite "Self-insert pilot" he had built up that had perfect piloting and gunnery skills. He places his one mech on the map, and asks me where Im setting up, to face him in his challenge. Part of the clan challenges is their mechs basically just walk out and have a slug match, hiding is for cowards to them. This gives him a huge advantage when his mech has 4 large lasers, 4 medium pulse lasers, and an AC/20.
He is starting to get pissed at this point, because I tell him he is going to have to find my mech to shoot it. I have my mech hidden in the building. He walks forward, then bam, he gets shot from an AC/20. When he finds the mech that shot him? Its an urbanmech.

For reference, an Urbanmech is a 30 ton light mech. Its slower than most heavy mechs. It has almost no armor. But its cheap. And it has a AC/20, which is a massive loving cannon. He kills it next turn, claiming he 'won the challenge', walks closer to the capitol building...and bam, another AC/20.

At this point he is mad, calling me a cheater, saying I did not follow his challenge, to which I respond "Im not a Clanner. I dont have to follow that crap."
This continues for several more turns. Him stepping amongst the buildings of the city a few steps, getting slammed once or twice by an AC/20, before he manages to blow up the Urbanmech shooting him. After the fourth is dead, his mech is trashed with arms missing and most of the armor ripped off. His face is bright red, and every time he rolls dice he is slamming the dice into the table. Finally he gets to the building...only for an Urbanmech to once more step out, and blow the head off his mech with a lucky shot, killing the pilot.

Furious, Bill demands to see my sheet that has the printout for what mechs I had in total. To fight his elite, amazing, expensive as gently caress clan mech, I had taken 8 Urbanmechs, with normal pilots in them. He hasn't tried any of that clan challenge bullshit ever since :v:

The short version? Bill the Neckbeard spends all day bragging about how superior Clan mechs are, tries to show off using a single best mech he has with a self-insert pilot. Several of the cheapest, weakest mechs gang up and beat him, killing his self-insert pilot.

McScumbag posted:

Well if its liked, then time for Story 2, this one I promise will be shorter.

Again in the battletech campaign, this one a couple of months ago. Inner Sphere vs. Clan of course.

As I said before, the Clanners like to really get into how they act in the books, with their sense of honor in warfare and Space Bushido. Inner Sphere see was as you would in World War II, or the Vietnam war. Which is "Im going to make the other sonofabitch die and I dont care how"

So get a lucky roll on the detection of a clan invasion fleet incoming. Usually enemies just appear for the ground combat, because its hard to detect the ships. More developed worlds can detect inbound ships. Still usually there isnt much you can do. Ground things cant hit space things. But they still have to get the mechs to the ground from space. This is done using a dropship.

Dropships are huge spaceships that basically drop pod into the atmosphere, and land. They have a good bit of armor. They have tons of guns. And they carry inside entire squadrons of mechs. They can act as HQs usually.

Well after a good roll on a base we set up in game to be able to detect inbound dropships, I take a lance in the campaign mission. We decide, after talking to the clan guy who I would have to play against, that he would have to actually use the rules to land his dropship. Now attacking dropships is highly dishonorable to the clans.

So his dropship is coming in, expecting to land, step out with a few mechs, and blast the inner sphere guys that are on the ground waiting to challenge them. If I use any of my usual Inner Sphere dickery, he will just blast me with the dropship. He doesn't notice Im a couple a couple thousand points short in points value and didnt bring anything over a 50 ton mech. He thinks it will just be an easy victory...

Except as his dropship lands, suddenly several fighters swoop in, unleash a torrent of lasers, missiles, and PPC fire, and swoop off while the mechs on the ground just stare up and laugh.

What did I do? Those spare points were spent not on mechs, but on fighter craft. They got to the battlefield, and shot out the engines on the dropship, causing it to plummet like a rock. My reply to him: "You wanted me to fight at your landing zone? That's loving retarded."

I guess I have no Space Honor :v:

Random Stranger posted:

Those discussions of table top griefs a few pages ago reminded me of the greatest grief I ever pulled.

The game was Mechwarrior: Dark Age, the clix miniatures version of Battletech. I used to be a pretty good player if I might be a bit modest but I didn't like playing the dominant (read "cheesy") tactics. That stuff never appeals to me and I generally tried out doing more specialized things.

I was playing in the national championships after winning a gigantic tournament to get my place there. I knew going in that there were certain styles of play I was almost certain to see. 95% of the dominant armies at the time consisted of artillery bombardment or fast moving helicopters. The mechs, which were the point of the game, tended to be overlooked because managing heat was so risky compared to using other forces.

I had a different plan. There were two mechs in the game that could stand in the middle of the table and hit almost the entire field. I built my forces around the strongest of these, one gigantic target that could pick off threats long before they could hit it. But there was a catch to this. Each player set up the terrain on the battlefield and a smart player wouldn't let an opponent with that kind of range domination have control of a wide open field in the middle.

However, there was a rule.

There were certain shapes that were the standard terrain types allowed in each battle. The players brought three of them and took turns putting things down. There was water which could cool a mech and block some movement, buildings that blocked line of sight, and rough terrain to provide cover bonuses. There was also one other piece of terrain that no one ever took because it was pointless: the low wall. It didn't block fire, only obstructed movement for weaker units, and generally did nothing on the battlefield. When I got to the constructed army portion of the tournament I brought three low walls with me as my terrain.

What players always forgot is that you didn't place your terrain. The terrain you brought was placed in a pool and both players could take from that pool. My provision for the pool was three useless strips that didn't even exist as far as my army was concerned and I took my opponent's terrain and placed them as out of the way as possible.

The results were beautiful. Every single person I played responded with essentially, "You can do that?" and then had their plans crumble. I parked my titan in the middle of the map and declared which of my opponent's units died that turn. It was far from an unbeatable strategy, I lost a couple of matches that day including the final one, but it was so unorthodox that it threw everyone off. I did make one person rage quit the championship when I beat him in the second round. :v:

The last person I played in the tournament was the only one who got into it and found the scenario amusing. Once he beat me, I wound up placing about twentieth out of a field of roughly two hundred that started.

GulMadred posted:

This one will be familiar to tabletop veterans, but I'll explain it for the benefit of others. It's not my story, of course.

The Background

Warhammer 40,000 is a tabletop wargame which allows for very asymmetric matchups: some of the factions focus on close combat while others use heavy firepower, a few factions can field a lot of armoured vehicles while others focus on mobility or stealth. It's possible to essentially lose a match before any dice have been rolled (e.g. when you realize that your force doesn't have enough anti-vehicle weaponry). The rules are written for fun rather than realism - for example, most of the rifles would have a real-world range of about 15 meters. If weapon ranges were realistic, then a massed-firepower army would inevitably destroy a close-combat army before the latter score a single hit with any of its awesome melee weapons. By abandoning realism, the game designers can accommodate a wide variety of themes such as Tolkien elves, S&M fetishists, Zerg-type xenomorphs, Catholic cyborgs, Mad Max scavenger gangs, and World War I conscript armies (with lasers!).

In a sometimes-succesful effort to maintain balance, the game designers attempt to anticipate and preemptively disallow cheesiness. For example, a player might attempt to "turtle" himself up, deploying his forces in a compact blob so that their overlapping fields of fire can easily cut down anything that approaches. Such a formation would be vulnerable to artillery, but many factions lack artillery. Therefore the game's victory criteria include map control - if you turtle up then your opponent will automatically score a bunch of points and you'll probably lose (in spite of your awesome K:D ratio).

Normally, a match begins with both players taking turns to set down squads of toy soldiers, each within his own narrow strip of "friendly territory" (leaving a large no-man's-land wherein most of the action will occur). At this point, players will plan out lines of fire, assault routes, etc... Some squads will be deployed to maximize their offensive potential, while others will be deployed to deter an opponent's gambit (or cockblock some stupid gimmick). There are two special rules that apply here:
  • Infiltrate: this rule is used only by special units such as Scouts. After all of the normal squads have been deployed, they get to deploy anywhere on the field. In narrative terms, they've snuck ahead of the main force (or parachuted/teleported in, or whatever). For anti-cheese reasons, they must be placed at least 30cm away from the enemy.
  • Reserves: units held in reserve are not deployed at the start of the game; they will enter the battle on a subsequent turn (long after all of the deployment, counter-deployment, and infiltration stuff has taken place). This may be for narrative reasons (e.g. late-arriving reinforcements) or for tactical reasons (e.g. wait for the opponent to commit to an all-out frontal attack, then shore up the relevant section of your defensive line). For anti-cheese reasons, reserve units must "arrive" onto the friendly edge of the battlefield and they cannot be placed within 5cm of an enemy.

The Match

Player 1 (black shirt, henceforth known as Shooter) uses a faction called the Tau (the links are just in-universe fiction; you can safely skip them and continue with the story). This faction has extremely effective anti-infantry firepower and their standard gameplan comes from Sir Arthur Wellesley: "take all of your dudes and stretch them out in a big line so they're hard to surround. Fire volleys at anything that comes into range." As is appropriate for a Napoleonic infantry line, they work best on a big open field and they're in trouble if they get flanked or cavalry-charged.

Player 2 (white shirt, henceforth Wheels) uses the White Scars faction. Their theme/backstory is "Mongol Horde - in space!" so every single unit goes to war on horseback riding a badass motorcycle. Wheels is a powergamer. His gimmick is to hold his entire army in reserve. The opponent will be forced to deploy conservatively, since Wheels' side of the field will be empty. At the beginning of his first turn, Wheels will deploy his entire force in a compact "spearhead", then advance and pierce the enemy line at its weakest point. His forces will then spread out, rolling up the flanks of any surviving squads and overrunning defensive positions from behind. His units move very quickly, so he can even peel off a few of them to capture every corner of the map.

Shooter is aware of Wheels' gimmick.

The Grief

Shooter's army list includes a large contingent of scouts. These units are skirmishers rather than line infantry; they don't belong in today's match. Skirmishers can harass an infantry advance (see also: Napoleonic Wars) but cavalry motorcycles will simply overrun them. Including scouts in your army is thematically correct, but a tournament player ought to omit them in this battle for mix/max reasons. As a powergamer, Wheels recognizes that Shooter has made a suboptimal choice and celebrates inwardly - he's one step closer to victory.

During the normal deployment/setup phase, Shooter places his commander on the field. Remember that the two players are supposed to take turns - deploying and counter-deploying until everything is on the field. However, Wheels announces that he's deploying nothing - he'll hold his entire force in reserve (as he planned all along). At this point, according to the powergaming script, Shooter is supposed to deploy a typical shoulder-to-shoulder infantry line, with a few scout teams in no-man's-land to slow down the enemy. Since this is a "gently caress-you" grief, Shooter decides to skip everything except the scouts.

Shooter infiltrates his scouts into a single thin skirmish line covering Wheels' entire edge of the table. Anti-cheese rules prevent him putting a scout within 30 cm of an opposing unit, but there are no opposing units anywhere on the field and so the rule is moot. Tactically, these scouts are hosed - they have no cover, no support, and they're on open ground. As soon as the opposing cavalry takes the field, these guys will die. The deployment phase ends.

It's now Wheels' turn. Shooter informs him that the game is over. Wheels can't actually deploy any of his motorcycles - anti-cheese rules prevent him from placing a reserve unit within 5cm of an enemy model. There isn't a single 5cm gap anywhere on Wheels' edge of the field. Wheels' entire force is doomed to sit uselessly "in reserve" until the game ends, at which point he'll lose automatically because Shooter controls the entire map.

And now you know why Shooter is smiling while Wheels is poring over a rulebook.

The money shot (shit_eating_grin.jpg)

The aftermath

The tournament officials declared that Shooter's interpretation of the rules was technically correct and granted him the victory. They also announced that anyone attempting to reuse his trick would be disqualified. The ruling is understandable - players must pay money in order to participate in these tournaments, and nobody wants to be told "whoops, you just lost by default due to an obscure rule - now pack up your toy soldiers and go home."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

someone said you just had to kill the necromancer to beat the quest. so he could have just beaten the necromancer and wiped and the quest would have been finished?
"quest complete" doesnt come up until you finish combat. Although I've never tried running away from minions after killing the Necromancer?? bringing the Jester was his first mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPGpdpt4rA&t=300s

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 22, 2016

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

Read the entire thread over the last couple months. I can't find it, but the story behind Magres's title is greatest-hits worthy if you ask me.

edit:

Magres posted:

Short version is that gamergate hates trans people and gets real, real mad if you ban people for saying lovely thing about trans people.

Long version is that I'm one of the moderators for the r/planetside subreddit. A month or two ago a woman posted a picture of a skirt she made with the logo of one of the in-game factions. Because the internet is awful, the thread devolved into morons pointing and screaming slurs and "OMG ITS A GUY." I banned like a dozen people and told them to write 500 word essays on the (horrifyingly harmful) impacts of transphobia on trans people if they wanted to get unbanned (I figured it'd give me extra chances to mock idiots, and that anyone who actually spent half an hour writing the drat thing was sincere enough to get a second chance). One of them got r/kotakuinaction, the gamergate subreddit, whipped up into a frenzy about Ethics In Gaming Moderation, and one of them decided to drop :10bux: on giving me the best red text ever

Hormples fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Does this old GW2 vid count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoODBgHvemc

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

S-U-P-E-R posted:

Read the entire thread over the last couple months. I can't find it, but the story behind Magres's title is greatest-hits worthy if you ask me.

edit:

I still regularly get hatemail on Reddit about it

I generally respond by calling them lovely people and telling them to have a nice day :)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

S-U-P-E-R posted:

This should include a screenshot of Magres's title to go with the story.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've never played minecraft. But I really love that wool story.

Being able to cause such carnage through what could otherwise be considered "peaceful acts of charity" if not for the repercussions, is always loving amazing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Aussie Dingbat posted:

I think this might be it.

This is amazing.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
e: wrong thread me bad

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Soulex posted:

Wall of SS13 Stories.

The Crashwich one reminds me of something I did in SS13 once.

Everyone on the station has an ID card. It opens doors for them, and lists their name and occupation. If you held the ID in your hand and used it, it would flash it to everyone who could see you, showing them your name and job title. There's a computer that allows you to modify ID cards, changing the name and title on them.

I discovered 2 things: 1:that if you held your ID in your hand and held down the Page Down key, it would show everyone your name and title over and over again multiple times per second, filling up their chat log.

2: There was no limit to how long the name or title on the card could be.

Armed with this knowledge, I got myself a blindfold and pasted an entire book's worth of text onto an ID card. I walked up to people, put on my blindfold so that I would not be able to see myself hold up the card, picked up the card and held page down for a few seconds. Upon removing my blindfold, I was greeted by my victim staring blankly at me, their game having either crashed or just lagged out so badly that they were incapable of moving. I then stripped them naked and pushed them out an airlock and into space.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does SS13 still have a population? I remember hearing that some goons were working on rebuilding it on a new (or completely overhauled) engine since Byond was apparently THAT bad - did that ever happen? SS13 stories are probably my favorite from this thread, I just wish I had the imagination to do something with that game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
SS13 is alive and well, the remake is on life support if not dead

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Magres posted:

BYOND really is that bad, though; that part's true.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
BYOND is serviceable. SS13 just overloads it. Goonstation is pretty quick so it adds on more stress to the already over-stressed thing.
Some of the other stations tick slower and have less lag issues (But those servers are generally the wankfest jack-booted no-fun-allowed-unless you're Sec/Command servers).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

cock hero flux posted:

The Crashwich one reminds me of something I did in SS13 once.

Everyone on the station has an ID card. It opens doors for them, and lists their name and occupation. If you held the ID in your hand and used it, it would flash it to everyone who could see you, showing them your name and job title. There's a computer that allows you to modify ID cards, changing the name and title on them.

I discovered 2 things: 1:that if you held your ID in your hand and held down the Page Down key, it would show everyone your name and title over and over again multiple times per second, filling up their chat log.

2: There was no limit to how long the name or title on the card could be.

Armed with this knowledge, I got myself a blindfold and pasted an entire book's worth of text onto an ID card. I walked up to people, put on my blindfold so that I would not be able to see myself hold up the card, picked up the card and held page down for a few seconds. Upon removing my blindfold, I was greeted by my victim staring blankly at me, their game having either crashed or just lagged out so badly that they were incapable of moving. I then stripped them naked and pushed them out an airlock and into space.

This is really good.

Magres posted:

That's a shame. I was lookin forward to the reboot. It looked so promising.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

cock hero flux posted:

I got myself a blindfold and pasted an entire book's worth of text onto an ID card. I walked up to people, put on my blindfold so that I would not be able to see myself hold up the card, picked up the card and held page down for a few seconds. Upon removing my blindfold, I was greeted by my victim staring blankly at me, their game having either crashed or just lagged out so badly that they were incapable of moving. I then stripped them naked and pushed them out an airlock and into space.

I was one of the people he did this too, and the most insidious thing about it is that there was no real escape. Blindfolds are kind of rare, nothing else would prevent you from seeing the text, and there's no way to ignore someone else's actions in-game. The only way you could prevent your game from crashing was to somehow escape, (Which was drat near impossible. You have to bump into doors and wait a second or so for them to open before you can go through them, plenty of time for him to grab his card and start flashing it again) or to get knocked unconscious, which put you just as much at his mercy. It was even AoE, it affected everyone within sight distance of him. I don't think he made it the entire round before an admin declared that anyone trying it again would get banned.

Which made it a lot less painful when someone later discovered you could do the same thing with seed names in Botany, and the aforementioned crashwich. :v:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

I was one of the people he did this too, and the most insidious thing about it is that there was no real escape. Blindfolds are kind of rare, nothing else would prevent you from seeing the text, and there's no way to ignore someone else's actions in-game. The only way you could prevent your game from crashing was to somehow escape, (Which was drat near impossible. You have to bump into doors and wait a second or so for them to open before you can go through them, plenty of time for him to grab his card and start flashing it again) or to get knocked unconscious, which put you just as much at his mercy. It was even AoE, it affected everyone within sight distance of him. I don't think he made it the entire round before an admin declared that anyone trying it again would get banned.

Which made it a lot less painful when someone later discovered you could do the same thing with seed names in Botany, and the aforementioned crashwich. :v:

By the end of the round an admin had come on to tell me to cut the poo poo and the main reason it took that long was because it was crashing him every time I did it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Didn't some dude figure out how to grief a single player game via a ghost file or something? Don't remember how it went but that was pretty inventive.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Didn't some dude figure out how to grief a single player game via a ghost file or something? Don't remember how it went but that was pretty inventive.

Roguelikes that have a player-ghost mechanic are open to this kind of grief; the game itself is single-player but to keep things interesting there is a function that carries over (permanently) dead player characters into another game as a 'ghost' enemy, with varying ability to ruin somebody's day. A lot of these games use some server to host the game and track statistics, in addition to sharing misery via ghosts.

In Nethack, the .bones file saves the entire floor including monsters and items. Could be as simple as using a cursed scroll of genocide to leave a bunch of Nazgul on Floor 9. Not much harder to flood the entire level with especially nasty enemies that drain experience, confuse/paralyze/etc and damage or steal equipment. There isn't really anything (except :effort:) stopping a high-level character from leaving a bad ambush on a relatively early floor, almost guaranteeing that the victim will die since they don't have every resistance to every kind of instant gently caress-you-game-over. If it does kill them, that death leaves another .bones file to screw over the next player.

In Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup only the character gets saved, so no dance party ambushes. Still easy to make an annoying or dangerous ghost, like a Draconian Wizard... just get to XL7 to unlock the elemental-breath attack, memorize Blink and Summon Imp, and erase Magic Dart so the ghost spams its rather nasty negative-energy bolts (damage and temporary skill reduction) while teleporting away and summoning demons to get in the way of either fighting or running away.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 23, 2016

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
Still stitching together more tf2 stream snipes, but they probably won't be done before this thread closes out.

But I do still want to throw down a nice sendoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-c7AtRjfc

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Croccers posted:

BYOND is serviceable. SS13 just overloads it.

Byond's actually just like any other language when it comes to efficiency. It's as good as you're able to work with it. Many of the limitations it had were removed two or so years ago too after Byond pretty much nearly griefed itself into bankruptcy.

The real problem is that SS13 started out like a lot of Byond games. That is to say, the people who originally coded it had no idea what they were doing. From what i've been told it's a nightmarish mesh of code from many, many, many coders. Some of whom weren't familiar with things like the necessity to add sleeps and other similar commands in to a multiplayer game in order to keep a small number of players from nuking server performance by doing something relatively simple. Like, say, opening a door or changing the temperature on tiles in a room.

The inclusion of multiple coders on the goon end of things once they got a hold of it certainly couldn't have helped things either. The more coders there are in a project the more communication and documentation there needs to be to keep everything running efficiently both on the development and performance end. Doubly so if you're going to be working on it at the same time as other people.

Given how many people have had a crack at the SS13 code by now and the habits of your average coder on Byond I can't imagine it looks like anything more than a vaguely ordered mess of spaghetti code that occasionally diverges into sanity blasting horror. It's really no wonder it runs like poo poo at times given that.

TL;DR: Coding for SS13 is probably a grief all to itself.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 24, 2016

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Archonex posted:

Byond's actually just like any other language when it comes to efficiency. It's as good as you're able to work with it. Many of the limitations it had were removed two or so years ago too after Byond pretty much nearly griefed itself into bankruptcy.

The real problem is that SS13 started out like a lot of Byond games. That is to say, the people who originally coded it had no idea what they were doing. From what i've been told it's a nightmarish mesh of code from many, many, many coders. Some of whom weren't familiar with things like the necessity to add sleeps and other similar commands in to a multiplayer game in order to keep a small number of players from nuking server performance by doing something relatively simple. Like, say, opening a door or changing the temperature on tiles in a room.

The inclusion of multiple coders on the goon end of things once they got a hold of it certainly couldn't have helped things either. The more coders there are in a project the more communication and documentation there needs to be to keep everything running efficiently both on the development and performance end. Doubly so if you're going to be working on it at the same time as other people.

Given how many people have had a crack at the SS13 code by now and the habits of your average coder on Byond I can't imagine it looks like anything more than a vaguely ordered mess of spaghetti code that occasionally diverges into sanity blasting horror. It's really no wonder it runs like poo poo at times given that.

There's a post somewhere in the thread of just the profanity comments in the gooncode. it's great.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Archonex posted:

I'm trying to find any coding stories related to SS13, found this in the meantime and had to share.

Daeren posted:

Long story short, someone made a rather serious shooting threat during adminhelps, and his BYOND key made it very easy to find his personal information, and Cogwerks alerted the local cops. Turns out he was actually in the position to follow through on his threat if he'd wanted, and Cogwerks had to submit a file to the FBI for evidence.

Dr. Cogwerks posted: posted:

Some weirdo was making rapey and creepy comments in game one night at about one AM. I yelled at them, they responded with a couple weird cryptic messages and then this, roughly: "well thanks for all the fun times here, i've got my rifle loaded and i'm gonna be shooting up a school full of kids in the morning, so this is goodbye"

User key was his first initial and last name with a number, that same account name was also used by a certain college student's blog and google+ page. Found his city and college from those, and the IP address he was playing from matched the ip registry for that college. Submitted the admin log, ip and timestamps to the FBI's online tips form, got several frantic calls back from city police and FBI agents over the next several hours and ended up getting calls from various detectives and fbi agents every hour or so from one am to three pm. No goddamn sleep.

Dude's dorm room was raided and he was arrested within about three hours of his comments, dorm was searched, computer taken to forensics, all that jazz. I dunno what happened past that though. I did have to write up some incident reports and attach a whole bunch of supplementary text and pictures about what ss13 is, how we log player communications and login info, how people find the game, how people register for the game, and a whole bunch of other stuff like that. Somewhere there's a screenshot in an FBI evidence folder showing a bunch of regular players farting, because it was impossible to find any portion of the game chat panel WITHOUT farting.

goddamn you all

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

AxisofIdiocy posted:

Still stitching together more tf2 stream snipes, but they probably won't be done before this thread closes out.

haha brilliant the fact it was the "dominating" kill makes the fact she fell for that so much better.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

AxisofIdiocy posted:

The only thing that would have made this better was if she ended up dominating herself.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kinda related news. A few of the videos posted in this final not-poo poo era of the thread were by z0mby, whose account just got hacked. Apparently he had used the same password for multiple accounts and some rival group of internet nerds took over. All but a few really old videos were taken down. Whoever has control of the account has plugged their sick middle eastern beatz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX4Jw9c4NBM

:rip:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Kinda related news. A few of the videos posted in this final not-poo poo era of the thread were by z0mby, whose account just got hacked. Apparently he had used the same password for multiple accounts and some rival group of internet nerds took over. All but a few really old videos were taken down. Whoever has control of the account has plugged their sick middle eastern beatz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX4Jw9c4NBM

If you're gonna do this kind of thing I can't imagine a better song to set it to than Dreamscape.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lord Chumley posted:

I'm trying to find any coding stories related to SS13, found this in the meantime and had to share.

[/quote]

I'm very glad our farting spaceman game is now in FBI records.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AxisofIdiocy posted:

All we needed to restore the thread to greatness was apparently the threat of the thread being closed!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Fart Butt Investigations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsF0zbbKhk

DIG DUG MOTHERFUCKERS

Edit to include the best griefing of a griefer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oTlaxrfMo

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Captain Bravo posted:

This should include a screenshot of Magres's title to go with the story.

• Locked thread