Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I'm not understanding how each number was calculated, but ok

Ah, gently caress it. Again, this is why I couldn't bet on this stuff myself

FourLeaf has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah I can't believe I bought 100 shares of Trump Sweep NO. I of course thought "no one has ever done that and conventional wisdom is..."

When you start using the phrase conventional wisdom with Trump, you need to back away slowly. If he wins Iowa (and Cruz's worthlessness has rocketed him into the graveyard of lovely losers), the other 3 are practically a lock.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The appropriate price for Trump sweep is 3-4% lower than Trump Iowa, and even that gap is only the Nevada uncertainty factor. (No polls in NV since October and no one's campaigning there)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Patter Song posted:

The appropriate price for Trump sweep is 3-4% lower than Trump Iowa, and even that gap is only the Nevada uncertainty factor. (No polls in NV since October and no one's campaigning there)

Nevada is a natural fit for Trump and Cruz, and if Trump has Iowa and NH then he's a lock.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah I can't believe I bought 100 shares of Trump Sweep NO. I of course thought "no one has ever done that and conventional wisdom is..."

When you start using the phrase conventional wisdom with Trump, you need to back away slowly. If he wins Iowa (and Cruz's worthlessness has rocketed him into the graveyard of lovely losers), the other 3 are practically a lock.
350 here, although I've dumped a little less than half on the swings. Doesn't seem like it's going to get any better so I'll be playing election day jitters to get the best price. I'm confident enough Trump will take Iowa to get rid of these on a loss.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trump No in Iowa now at 31c. I think Cruz's numbers will benefit from his very strong ground game, a good debate performance immediately prior, and the tendency of the caucus process to favor committed, passionate supporters. I am considering buying 500 Trump No shares. Someone talk me out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vox Nihili posted:

Trump No in Iowa now at 31c. I think Cruz's numbers will benefit from his very strong ground game, a good debate performance immediately prior, and the tendency of the caucus process to favor committed, passionate supporters. I am considering buying 500 Trump No shares. Someone talk me out of it.

Do you think Trump will lose Iowa, or are you just anticipating that the market will rebound between now and the first of February?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Do you think Trump will lose Iowa, or are you just anticipating that the market will rebound between now and the first of February?

I think Trump has at best a 50/50 shot at Iowa. I don't know how the market will move, but there is a pretty solid wall at 70/30.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
edit: Nevermind. For 50/50 chances 31 cents is obviously a good investment.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
lol I had a Bloomberg buy in at 18c and a sell in at 40c when I went to bed, and woke up this morning ~20c richer... I often just buy one share to make it easier to keep track of markets I'm interested in. Wish I'd bought a lot more

One of my biggest complaints about predictit: no "watchlist" for markets/contracts in which you don't own shares

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

thethreeman posted:

lol I had a Bloomberg buy in at 18c and a sell in at 40c when I went to bed, and woke up this morning ~20c richer... I often just buy one share to make it easier to keep track of markets I'm interested in. Wish I'd bought a lot more

One of my biggest complaints about predictit: no "watchlist" for markets/contracts in which you don't own shares

If you guys are interested I can probably make a service with their recently opened API that watches all their markets and sends out customized alerts.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm never one to hold onto loser shares if I don't think the event will happen anymore, at least I try to be that way. That said I continue to hold onto my Cruz Iowa shares as I've ridden them down because the market seems to always dropped too far below what I see as reality. I think 50/50 is pretty fair odds. Trump is on a roll but Cruz just fits too close the mold of the candidate Iowa goes for and I keep hearing about his ground game. The only good news is I bet as big on Trump NH in the low 50's so that has balanced out the Cruz losses.

The other thing I'm doing that I file in the lottery ticket category is I have been building a Kasich position in Minnesota and Vermont averaging 2 or 3 cents. He's too expensive in Mass, but I'm still keeping an eye on it. No big deal if he flames out in NH, but if he does emerge as the story (like he hopes) he will try to build on it in these more moderate northern/mid western states.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Necc0 posted:

If you guys are interested I can probably make a service with their recently opened API that watches all their markets and sends out customized alerts.
That would be cool. Anything to enrich the user experience because I feel at a disadvantage --- like other folks I can't hawk over the news at all hours of the day.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

That would be cool. In the meantime, folks can put in single buy orders at 1 cent to stand-in for a watch option.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
So, how's everybody feel about Rand making the next debate?

Market's been crazy today, saw it shoot all the way up to 95 cents for Yes. I have some cheap NOs, but I'm feeling nervous about them.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
He might just make the criteria, but I really think Fox is going to change what polls they look at until they can exclude him. Ratings have been dipping, Rand's a loser, we need less people on the stage.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

That sounds awesome. I would be down.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

So, how's everybody feel about Rand making the next debate?

Market's been crazy today, saw it shoot all the way up to 95 cents for Yes. I have some cheap NOs, but I'm feeling nervous about them.

Managed to sell all my Noes and glad of it. I think they just might have to let him in.

BTW, wacky town hall question topics are LIVE!

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Managed to sell all my Noes and glad of it. I think they just might have to let him in.

BTW, wacky town hall question topics are LIVE!

jongordon is doing a good job at trolling the poo poo out of the comments section. I can't imagine a world where Christie is out and Paul is in.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ohhhh fuckkk, I forgot about the 15% rule in Iowa. Bernie's going to win it isn't he.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a cop posted:

Ohhhh fuckkk, I forgot about the 15% rule in Iowa. Bernie's going to win it isn't he.

The population demographics are spread out against his favor. He could win 52-48% and still lose on delegate count.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Aliquid posted:

The population demographics are spread out against his favor. He could win 52-48% and still lose on delegate count.

That's what I'm hoping. I just imagine that most Omalley's will go for the bern.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I like Bernie but he better fuckin lose Iowa

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

User Error posted:

Same

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

User Error posted:

I'm really incredibly split: I'd love for Bernie to take Iowa and start some sort of Cinderella story against Hillary for the nom but that luxury would end up costing me something to the tune of $300 if it happened :shobon:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

I'm not sure how the market will work. In the past, the media has been all about the popular vote on these things--delegate count comes later and no one really gives a poo poo at that point.

In other news, it was a good day for me:

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
poo poo, I forgot to get in on that market. Were those yes or no?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gibberish posted:

poo poo, I forgot to get in on that market. Were those yes or no?

All No.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not sure how the market will work. In the past, the media has been all about the popular vote on these things--delegate count comes later and no one really gives a poo poo at that point.

In other news, it was a good day for me:

The market closing date is like Feb 29. Does it normally take 4+ weeks to determine the delegate count? The fact that they're keeping it open that long suggests to me that they're not going by day 1 vote totals.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fuschia tude posted:

The market closing date is like Feb 29. Does it normally take 4+ weeks to determine the delegate count? The fact that they're keeping it open that long suggests to me that they're not going by day 1 vote totals.

Might just be in case there's a Romney/Santorum situation like last election, where they were virtually tied. How long did it take Iowa to call it for Santorum?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Two weeks were given to the 99 counties to get their votes counted. Then they were tallied up and about 16 days after the polls closed did we finally hear it was Rick Santorum.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Garrand posted:

So just how much cash have some of you dumped into this? I've deposited a grand total of 70 bucks at this point into a couple fairly sure bet markets. I'm too poor to be gambling, really.

I deposited $3k because I killed it in 08 and 12 on other sites that have since died. At one point I was up $1.5k but now I'm down $500.

I feel good about my Clinton in Iowa bet, hitting that will put me back in the green. Once I get that cash, it will all go into feeling the Bern in NH. Trump sweep NO to sweep seems like a good market too.

User Error posted:

Word

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bernie is down maybe two points in Iowa and has momentum on his side now. I would be very concerned betting on Hillary (also, betting on Bernie).

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I'm sure we all are. I know I am, but I'm currently in the red on that bet and it's either bail and lose or submit to the Iowa coin toss.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Bernie is down maybe two points in Iowa and has momentum on his side now. I would be very concerned betting on Hillary (also, betting on Bernie).

Yeah I have a little bit on NO Hillary in Iowa since I was able to get it really cheap. But I'm not betting big in Iowa because I'm not confident either way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's up with Rand Paul making the debate?

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
He wasn't going to but polls swung in his favor

I made a tasty profit on that one

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Basically betting on whether you think Fox will find a way to screw him.

Polls theoretically say he should be in, but Fox hasn't confirmed which ones they're going to count, and they probably don't want him in.

I feel that 90-10 is overvaluing his chance of getting in, but there's about 4 hours left, so you're really buying to hold now. It's risky, since there's a pretty decent chance they'll have to let him in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not touching this one because of how close Christie is as well. If Paul were the only candidate in limbo, I think he’d be more likely to be screwed. He acted like a huge baby when he missed the last debate (which was also on a Fox channel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

:frogsiren: new markets just now opened up!! :frogsiren:

• Locked thread