Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Decided to try Onan's Streak, got it first try. Finding Death's Touch in treasure room 1 helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Once they fixed piercing shots, Onan's Streak got a lot better. Although, does anyone know if piercing shots + red poop are still bugged in Onan's?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Monstro's Lung + Ipecac + Eve's Mascara

Good, good. But, it feels like something is missing, like...

fire rate so hosed up that you cry so much that the damage reduction doesn't matter? (Sad onion, tears pills, dark matter, pyromaniac, fire mind)

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I dunno what it is, but for the longest time I struggled with playing as Lilith. Apart from the areas she shines, like Boss Rush and Greed Mode, I had a real blind spot with playing her. Until recently, where something suddenly clicked, and within 3 runs of playing, I managed to knock off everything except for Mega Satan. None of them had really powerful builds either, so I think whatever mental blindness I had with her has been overcome, dunno why it just clicked though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
After picking up Ipecac, My Reflection, Explosivo, and Cursed Eye, following it by getting bored with Blank Card + Refresh + 2 of Diamonds and not even getting any explosion protection, Northernlion deserved this to happen: https://youtu.be/JujGO1PRPM8?t=38m26s

The whole run is worth watching, to be honest, this is just the highlight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I should probably not even attempt The Family Man until I unlock the Box Of Friends huh

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

voltcatfish posted:

I should probably not even attempt The Family Man until I unlock the Box Of Friends huh

Nah, it's not really too bad. BFF's makes brother bobby and sister maggy way less poo poo than you'd think, and rotten baby helps pick up the slack pretty well. Try to pick up 9 volt/the battery from shops so you can dad's key through as many lovely rooms as possible and pray for lil' brim from devil rooms, which you have a decent chance of getting since he's not special anymore. Also keep in mind damage ups are still worth trading for in devil rooms since they directly affect rotten baby's flies.

Box of Friends would make it way easier obviously but I thought it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
incubus is really the winner of making family man a cake walk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dias posted:

1 - You need FOUR (it's okay now?) things for a good run: damage, armor, mapping, mobility and a fanatical devotion to the Pope.

You should have expected to be nitpicked on this, but no-one ever does.

(Sorry.)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best advice I've you found for myself is to switch between Isaac and azazel since playing 20 minutes then dying and starting again as Isaac puts me on this weird tilt where my brain can't fathom beginning again with no items or power ups and I end up taking too many chances.

edit: finished the past 2 dailies in a row, what a run

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 24, 2016

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Are the item pools for the challenges set so that you can't get certain items that would make the challenge trivial? I was doing Demo Man and got two steam sales, chaos, and restock so everything in the shops was both free and infinite. I stood over the items and just let it go until every item was breakfast (took a long time) but I never ran into pyromaniac or host hat. After doing that I had just about every item in the game, so it wasn't difficult to beat the challenge, but it got me curious about whether certain items were specifically disabled for certain challenges.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The item pools aren't emptied when every item is breakfast - if you keep on picking up breakfastses you'll see items you haven't seen before.

eg. Pyromaniac is a special item, so there's a good chance it'll be rerolled if you've seen several special items before that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The daily is super fun and don't make the mistake I made and think you can save and continue later. Whoops!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Afraid of Audio posted:

incubus is really the winner of making family man a cake walk

Bumbo and Succubus would also be fairly sick. I've done Family Man like 4 times and every time it's been through Hive Mind or BFF flies I think.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Ahhhh, I finally 1001%'d this game! Had three items to get - immaculate conception, zodiac, and mega blast. I went into greed mode and got a steam sale, followed by a 2 of diamonds then a blank card and a car battery. I had endless money. Bought chaos and what seemed like 100 breakfasts but I got those three items!

Woo!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pitch Black is a lot more obnoxious than it should be with the homing bullets, curse rooms I can't leave, no hearts dropping, and black enemies.

e; Oh there we go. The heart thing was just bad luck.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 25, 2016

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

With the item set you see there, and baseline damage and tears, I decided to see if I could take Mega Satan from a Sac Room in B2.

It took me 10 minutes. That's with about half the bullets being cancelled by enemy shots thanks to the Lost Contact without piercing.

The "earthquake" spikes from the ground conjured when MS pounds his fists count as explosions for Pyromania, and that healing kept me going until the skull phase.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Hyphen, I've seen talk of a tournament but I don't know the details. What/when is it? Which twitch channel should I follow? Also, good luck, please win.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

cryptoclastic posted:

Hyphen, I've seen talk of a tournament but I don't know the details. What/when is it? Which twitch channel should I follow?

Full info at https://roidrage.net
It'll be on cobaltstreak's channel, (http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak) but the guy in charge of it is a minecraft youtuber named ssundee. so it's not actually a "balls of steel" event even though dickhammer and cobalt are both helping host it.

The main tournament is on feb 6 and 7, and it will have eight competitors. six of them are directly invited, including me. two will be picked by a qualifying tournament the weekend before, which is this upcoming weekend. anyone can sign up for the qualifying event.

The qualifying rounds will all use the SEEDED Judas d6 mod, which is pretty new for a tournament format. For each round, a referee will give both players the same seed that starts you off next to an item room with a top-20 item. You play as judas, you use the easter egg for no curses, and you start with a d6, compass, and half a soul heart. Also, devil deals and angel rooms always have pedestal items, and many rooms with "unfair" damage have been modified to prevent being hit undodgeably as soon as you enter the room. You're allowed to watch your opponent. neither of you will have seen this particular seed before, though.

The main tournament will use the same mod, but the viewers will vote each round for seeded or unseeded.

The prize pool is $1750 plus the same amount again for charities that the winners choose, so that's a pretty exciting amount as far as isaac tournaments go. if I win money then my charity will be the against malaria foundation.

i'll be practicing this ruleset a lot in the next two weeks. if you want to watch me do that, my stream is https://twitch.tv/hyphen_ated

quote:

Also, good luck, please win.
thanks!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

i'll be practicing this ruleset a lot in the next two weeks. if you want to watch me do that, my stream is https://twitch.tv/hyphen_ated

thanks!

Thanks for the info! Hopefully you'll kick some rear end. I always try to stop in and watch when I can but have been busy. And you've been keeping more sane sleeping hours I think. I only get to watch your middle of the night stuff from here.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who only really got into Binding of Isaac in the past 2 weeks it's amazing and incomprehensible to think of it as an e-sport :classiclol:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

As someone that's put hundreds of hours into BoI over the last several years, it's incomprehensible to think of it as an e-sport.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It's kind of a weird idea, isn't it? I guess it's mostly a game of risk-management at that level. And making the best of bad situations, if it comes to that.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
i've been playing the game exclusively for speed since before WOTL came out. watching people play it slow is almost incomprehensible to me now :)

quote:

I guess it's mostly a game of risk-management at that level. And making the best of bad situations, if it comes to that.
the most important part is the mechanical skill of killing enemies quickly without getting hit. making good decisions is secondary, but still very important.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Hyphen-ated posted:

i've been playing the game exclusively for speed since before WOTL came out. watching people play it slow is almost incomprehensible to me now :)

Have any videos you could link? :)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tammy's head is MvP for the guardian challenge.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Have any videos you could link? :)

http://www.twitch.tv/hyphen_ated/v/15340199 here's a pretty close race I highlighted one time. but since it's an actual tournament match, i'm kind of muttering to myself during it instead of talking for viewers

http://www.twitch.tv/oh_my_goth_/v/20839415 here's some commentated matches of the "lemon party finals"
http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas/v/37154841 here's some commentated matches of "lost child 2"
http://www.twitch.tv/haagiboy88/v/37148551 here's some commentated matches of "basement 2", a new-racers-only tournament

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The daily was pretty easy and fun today! Annoying getting Eve and only one (lovely) devil deal room though. Ended up with an insane amount of hearts, but got a stat reroll shoving it all into damage anyway. Then I tried greed mode and got to the second floor where I immediately died. That lovely little homing on the skeleton bones and tapeworm shots is a pain in the rear end.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Didn't take a screenshot, but I finally got one of those "completely break the game over my knee" runs. Ipecac in the first item room, combined with Monstro's Lung. Then I got Restock and Steam Sale which meant farming the donation machine and getting to the point where every other item is Breakfast.

I didn't know it was possible to beat Hush in like 30 seconds, but there you go.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Still trying to win any challenge as The Lost in Rebirth Wii U. Can't get the right combination of things, or get pinned and killed by The Haunt. Is there a better way?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Still trying to win any challenge as The Lost in Rebirth Wii U. Can't get the right combination of things, or get pinned and killed by The Haunt. Is there a better way?

Hold the restart button until you get an Holy Mantle/Dead Cat/something broken. Otherwise no, the lost is a really lovely character in rebirth.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Brains! challenge totally disables both Maw of the Void and the Spear of Destiny.

This sucks.

Edit: At least it doesn't disable the death field from the Succubus.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 29, 2016

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get rid of the "R U a Wizard" effect? Is it on a timer or do you have to fire a certain amount of tears until it goes away?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How do you get rid of the "R U a Wizard" effect? Is it on a timer or do you have to fire a certain amount of tears until it goes away?

It's a timer. I want to say it's on the order of 60 to 90 seconds.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I believe it lasts for a minute

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I believe it lasts for about 10 minutes, or until you walk into a room and die because you can't bother waiting anymore.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Any fix other than "reinstall and hope" for the "Crashes when you try to start a run" problem that last week's patch introduced?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

First time playing Azazel outside of the daily, got Ludovico almost immediately, it carried me all the way to Isaac, who I beat for the first time in Rebirth. He only hit me once because I got hit by a light beam. Ludovico Good

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I don't get why pills aren't combined so they have a chance of a 'neutral' side effect, or a less frequent chance of a bad side effect. As it is now, pills are never worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I disagree. Simply because if you get a pill, and it's bad, you only use it once. If you get a tears up pill or another stat boost, you'll know it for the rest of the game. Since you see pills a few time a game usually, it's worth picking them up, and chances are, you've used it already after the first few floors.