Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

I'd love Doom 4 to go down the route of the New Order and have him waxing philosophical with the hushed voice of a man who has seen too much.

Even better: Alternate between that and Howlin' Mad Murphy, the Doom Comic Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Dead Simple is really good

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rather Dashing posted:

I'd love Doom 4 to go down the route of the New Order and have him waxing philosophical with the hushed voice of a man who has seen too much.

"Why can't we find a way to safely dispose of radioactive waste and protect the environment? Even if I personally stop this alien invasion, what kind of planet will we be leaving to our children? and our children's children. And... Oh the humanity!"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

Dead Simple is really good

ya it is

the first episode of doom 2 is great. some of the city maps dragged, and I don't like hell maps in general but there are some interesting things going on there too

the only problem is that once you finish doom 2 thats it there are no more levels to play!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

After you finish Doom you can jump into the BUILD engine trilogy - Duke, Shadow Warrior, and Blood.

Also if you liked Doom there's an absurd amount of fanmade content. I highly recommend Chex Quest, Adventures of Square, and Batman Doom for a good time.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Don't know if this has been posted yet but LGR did a review of Duke Nukem 3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywqpprrXX8

Speaking of Duke 3D, are there any good source ports for playing co-op online? Will eDuke32 suffice?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

ya it is

the first episode of doom 2 is great. some of the city maps dragged, and I don't like hell maps in general but there are some interesting things going on there too

the only problem is that once you finish doom 2 thats it there are no more levels to play!

Doom 64, final doom, plutonia

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Unless I'm misremembering, doomguy was on Deimos because he refused a direct order to fire on peaceful protesters, and beat up the LT. who gave the order.

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE UNAMBIGUOUSLY VIRTUOUS FPS PROTAGONISTS ANYMORE?! :qq:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

Pretty good video analysing why Doom's enemy variety is so very important and something forgotten in many modern shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOObGjCA7Q

This is pretty good, though I think it could have covered Doom 2 as well, as that's an example of enemies being introduced to an existing "possibility space" that actually expand it in interesting ways, which seems to be a pretty rare thing. For as much as level designers of Doom have improved on the actual level and encounter design, the attempts at new bestiary additions have largely fallen flat or been relegated to curious one-off status. Maybe it's nostalgia or intertia, but the Doom 2 monsters really do add an interesting dimension to combat that fanmade additions haven't.

unrelated: Sunlust remains hard as balls even on HNTR and holy hell I suck at doom. It's mostly gone pretty well but map 17 just wrecked me, took like 20 attempts to manage it in one go. I'm looking forward to / freaked out by what must be coming.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

yo what is up with Doom 2 map 2's music. it sounds like lovely elevator music while I'm running around in a sewers

That's how chill it is for Doomguy to blast some hellspawn, duh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've actually not been super into the music in Doom 2 in general compared to the first one. I like the new enemies a lot though

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

STRAIN is a better Doom 2 than Doom 2.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I've been playing FreeDoom out of boredom and good god these levels are huge and boring. And who the gently caress decided to have blue-rimmed doors that don't need a key!?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ I have never understood how Freedoom can still be so bleh after all these years. You think they could have convinced someone to just donate the entire mapset of a project or something. I know they got E4 that way, but why not do that with the entire thing?

Narcissus1916 posted:

STRAIN is a better Doom 2 than Doom 2.

you crazy

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Pretty good video analysing why Doom's enemy variety is so very important and something forgotten in many modern shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuOObGjCA7Q

This is frustratingly incomplete due to the lack of Doom II coverage. Doom II dramatically extends every aspect of Doom gameplay and vastly raises the diversity and intensity of combat. High-difficulty levels in regular Doom are often dreadful slogs because of the mass deployment of cacos, barons, and lost souls--you can't quickly dispatch them and they can't quickly dispatch you, so it becomes a war of attrition. Doom II completely changes the dynamics of higher-level play for the better. I suppose, though, from the ordinary consumer/"casual" perspective Doom II may be a bit daunting and grognard-y due to its relentless pace and unforgiving enemies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

This is frustratingly incomplete due to the lack of Doom II coverage. Doom II dramatically extends every aspect of Doom gameplay and vastly raises the diversity and intensity of combat. High-difficulty levels in regular Doom are often dreadful slogs because of the mass deployment of cacos, barons, and lost souls--you can't quickly dispatch them and they can't quickly dispatch you, so it becomes a war of attrition. Doom II completely changes the dynamics of higher-level play for the better. I suppose, though, from the ordinary consumer/"casual" perspective Doom II may be a bit daunting and grognard-y due to its relentless pace and unforgiving enemies.

Yeah but it still highlights how the Doom beastiary is still better than most new FPSs. It just misses how Doom got even better.

(also how guys like Worch were actually talking about Doom 2)

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

SilentW posted:

I really wish somone would make a sourceport that isn't Aleph One. The poo poo mouselook (literally worse than build engine without bmouse) makes it really hard for me to want to replay anything, and the netcode is garbage so co-op doesn't work.
:negative:

:agreed:

God drat, a Marathon port of gzdoom quality would be so much fun. No amount of woefully amateur fan imitations will make me stop loving Marathon's story and atmosphere, but I really have no desire to play it with that much original clunk left in.

I remember how excited I was when I first learned about Aleph One. Oh, how far from my expectations it fell. :sigh:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kamrat posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet but LGR did a review of Duke Nukem 3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywqpprrXX8

Speaking of Duke 3D, are there any good source ports for playing co-op online? Will eDuke32 suffice?

The only one is the Steam port, Megaton edition. eDuke32 technically supports it, but desyncs are frequent.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Elliotw2 posted:

The only one is the Steam port, Megaton edition. eDuke32 technically supports it, but desyncs are frequent.

Thanks, was hoping for something other than the Megaton edition since my friend doesn't own that one.

I guess we'll have to live with desyncs then, hope it's not too bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I really, really like the SFX for Mancubuses(Mancubi?). Particularly this one.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Even better: Alternate between that and Howlin' Mad Murphy, the Doom Comic Guy.

Perfection. :allears:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

At drunken lan parties in high school we all swore it sounded like HUG YOUR MOM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

IronicDongz posted:

I'm still curious as to what the Imp idle sound is supposed to be. I just don't get it.

EDIT: ~21 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1TQKe_D18

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 27, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It sounds like this. Or some similar frog call.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Hmm... ok, I can sort of see/hear that.

In other news (well, this video is from Nov 2015).

Poo brush!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzKk2PZxGQ

Genuinely laughed out loud at the SSG reload animation.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Texture filtered sprites :barf:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Texture filtered sprites :barf:

And it's at the wrong aspect ratio. You'd think that someone with that fancy a Youtube intro animation would at least be able to record video at 16:9, but nooooo.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 27, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

And it's at the wrong aspect ratio. You'd think that someone with that fancy a Youtube intro animation would at least be able to record video at the 16:9, but nooooo.

As far as his other videos are concerned, I think he's figured that out, eventually.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzKk2PZxGQ

Genuinely laughed out loud at the SSG reload animation.

I liked the BFG best. :allears:

Made by the same people who made the bikes in Judge Dredd, apparently.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

You mean it's a mating call for Doomguy? Never would have guessed an imp would do that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Arivia posted:

You mean it's a mating call for Doomguy? Never would have guessed an imp would do that.

Never google "impse", then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

KozmoNaut posted:

Has it really been 4½ years since DNF was released? drat.

Is it only 4 1/2? Because I forgot about DNF within a year after it came out and it feels a lot longer than that.

Also they're practically giving away the pack-in crap from the collector's edition now, including the tiny little Duke Nukem bust. I kinda feel like buying one now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Never google "impse", then.

:thejoke:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I want a mod that sets you up in a random map against one AI Doom guy, and you're hunting each other. One life, maybe different weapons than the standard. Or even maybe a mod called 'Hide and Seek' where you've got the same rules, except the AI is permanently cloaked and doesn't fight back. It'd be a time limit thing, like 'how long will it take you to find the other Doomguy?'

Is there a mod that does this? I guess I'm looking for some slow, methodical Doom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm still curious as to what the Imp idle sound is supposed to be. I just don't get it.

Well you could ask Perkristian about it, because he identified it.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Jordan7hm posted:

unrelated: Sunlust remains hard as balls even on HNTR and holy hell I suck at doom. It's mostly gone pretty well but map 17 just wrecked me, took like 20 attempts to manage it in one go. I'm looking forward to / freaked out by what must be coming.

I played on UV until map19. Had to turn it down to HMP for the last area. It was just too much.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Cathair posted:

:agreed:

God drat, a Marathon port of gzdoom quality would be so much fun. No amount of woefully amateur fan imitations will make me stop loving Marathon's story and atmosphere, but I really have no desire to play it with that much original clunk left in.

I remember how excited I was when I first learned about Aleph One. Oh, how far from my expectations it fell. :sigh:

What flabbergasted me the most about Aleph One is that (at least when I last used it) not only did mouse sensitivity have two sliders you had to adjust for both the Y and X axis so it never felt quite right, it also required you to quit to the main menu to make any changes like that instead of just instantly applying them like you'd get in any given Doom port, so I'd constantly be loving with the sliders, waiting several seconds for the game to load, finding out it still felt wrong and repeating until I found a setting that felt slightly less awkward than normal.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

King Vidiot posted:

Is it only 4 1/2? Because I forgot about DNF within a year after it came out and it feels a lot longer than that.

Also they're practically giving away the pack-in crap from the collector's edition now, including the tiny little Duke Nukem bust. I kinda feel like buying one now.

Mind sharing a link? I kinda liked that dumb bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Thompsons posted:

What flabbergasted me the most about Aleph One is that (at least when I last used it) not only did mouse sensitivity have two sliders you had to adjust for both the Y and X axis so it never felt quite right, it also required you to quit to the main menu to make any changes like that instead of just instantly applying them like you'd get in any given Doom port, so I'd constantly be loving with the sliders, waiting several seconds for the game to load, finding out it still felt wrong and repeating until I found a setting that felt slightly less awkward than normal.

That's because as far as I can tell, there's no pause menu. At all. Presumably because the original didn't have one and aleph one developers make the guys who refuse to accept damage not being on the stack anymore look like well adjusted non-grognardy individuals.