Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

evilweasel posted:

#3 who the gently caress is ppn

I'd bet money that one of those "p"s is Patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

SquadronROE posted:

I get their reasoning, I just don't see why law enforcement doesn't check them into a mental institution involuntarily since they are a threat.

Speaking as a formerly homeless person with a formal diagnosis of schizophrenia it is rather hard to get committed actually. (You have to get a state recognized medical experts to sign an affidavit that you are a clear and present danger to yourself or others). Even when you do get involuntarily committed you can appeal your confinement and make them justify keeping you in front of a judge once every 24 hours.(Up to a certain point IIRC, there are provisions for long term involuntary confinement, but those involve a surprising amount of due process and hearings before a judge. It's not something that is done casually.)

For the record I was never involuntarily committed, but I did once commit myself voluntarily and I was kind of surprised at hown much effort was invested into explaining to me exactly what my rights were and exactly what they would be if they decided to keep me involuntarily. It's a fairly involved process altogether.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

evilweasel posted:

#3 who the gently caress is ppn

Pacific Patriots Network, a loose alliance of oath keepers and III%ers.

What I'd like to know is why they use roman numerals for the "III%" thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

As a Millennial I posted:

Romans were cool manly men. Yeah.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Roman Reigns posted:

Look he name dropped MLK and Ms. Parks what more do you want

Also proves he's totally not racist. Even though he's racist

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SquadronROE posted:

What I don't get about the Sovereign Citizens and such, is why we aren't just treating them as if they're mentally ill. I mean, they are incredibly delusional - to the point where they can't understand the real world anymore and are a danger to themselves and others since they don't think laws matter. Like that guy in the "Sovereign Citizens getting owned" video who just drove off from the cop during the traffic stop. What if he had been drunk or something?

It's hard to argue that these people aren't just loving idiots trying to pro se their way out of consequences they know are the result of their actions. The fact that they don't know it doesn't work isn't any different from someone thinking they can get away with perjury when it comes to self-awareness. Insanity is poo poo like thinking your murders are sanctioned by a "non-white" religious figure e.g. a dead Egyptian god, or believing your victims are actual demons. Thinking you know secret constitutional magic is not an excuse and neither is the desperation or ignorance that line the path to sovcittery.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He just tosses "being arrested in a remote canyon" in as if that wasn't a huge plus for everyone involved. Or at least everyone involved who didn't have a deathwish.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

What, you want them to use the Muslim numbers?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levitate posted:

I like the assertion that they could have arrested the Bundy's and company peacefully at any time with no issues at all, conveniently ignoring the whole armed takeover and threatening statements made to the media and all that poo poo

It's also nice how he ignores that the arrests were peaceful until Tarpman decided to try and escape.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He just tosses "being arrested in a remote canyon" in as if that wasn't a huge plus for everyone involved. Or at least everyone involved who didn't have a deathwish.

Those drat sneaky feds, like vipers laying an insidious trap. The bastards.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

Anyone who leaves now is proving for all the world to see that they're scared of the cops and would rather voluntarily give themselves over to the mercy of the FBI and go home in shame after being allowed by the cops to pass, rather than go out in the blaze of glory "defending" the occupation from the police like they claimed. And if they're not willing to fight to the death against the cops now, when they're all pumped up and in front of their militia friends and being livestreamed out for the world to see, then it's a fair bet they'll go quietly when the FBI shows up at their front door in a few weeks. Also, the FBI is very anxious to make sure they always have an escape route so their fear works to drive them out; if they feel like there's no safe escape and their back is against the wall, fear would drive them toward violence instead, which would be bad.

That's what we were seeing in the fat guy yesterday where he was spouting off about the feds just coming in to kill them all. He was not acknowledging that the feds were actually saying; "please leave rear end in a top hat" but requiring that he show ID on the way out. Also something about guns, were they disarming people as they left? I don't actually know that.... He seemed to be thinking that not only were Seals(tm) coming to save the final holdouts but that if they DID drive out that they would simply be machine-gunned.

Most importantly though; where's that king rear end in a top hat Blaine Cooper right now? I could see him taking out his whole family in suicide by cop wherever he is.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh really now?

The FBI aren't people and use Shield's helicarrier to attack our freedums.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

The FBI aren't people and use Shield's helicarrier to attack our freedums.

Tony Stark did nothing wrong.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

meristem posted:

You know, this actually being true would make for a pretty fun premise for a fantasy story.

Posting from a few pages back, I hope I'm not beaten...

Try Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence novels. Lawyers basically use contracts and demons to control the gods of the world, to make the cities run, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Parts-Dead-Craft-Sequence-ebook/dp/B0085UEQDO/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Pretty great writing, pretty compelling world, enjoy!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ChlamydiaJones posted:

That's what we were seeing in the fat guy yesterday where he was spouting off about the feds just coming in to kill them all. He was not acknowledging that the feds were actually saying; "please leave rear end in a top hat" but requiring that he show ID on the way out. Also something about guns, were they disarming people as they left? I don't actually know that.... He seemed to be thinking that not only were Seals(tm) coming to save the final holdouts but that if they DID drive out that they would simply be machine-gunned.

Most importantly though; where's that king rear end in a top hat Blaine Cooper right now? I could see him taking out his whole family in suicide by cop wherever he is.

An "undisclosed location." Seriously.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That answers the other thing is been wondering too, why one hundred and eleven percent was a group name. Thanks!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

Romans were cool manly men. Yeah.

But they wore skirts and sandals.

meristem posted:

What, you want them to use the Muslim numbers?

:lol:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

evilweasel posted:

The best sovereign citizen word magic is their belief that birth certificates are actually berth certificates which is what is making you subject to admiralty court.

If you've read that Albertan judge's Reasons in Meads vs Meads, he meations more examples. I think he mentions the judge temporarily leaving the courtroom, prompting a sovereign citizen to exclaim "man overboard!"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

evilweasel posted:

That answers the other thing is been wondering too, why one hundred and eleven percent was a group name. Thanks!

Supposedly only 3% of the American colonists took up arms in the revolution. That's what the name's referring to.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Supposedly only 3% of the American colonists took up arms in the revolution. That's what the name's referring to.

Oh so that's where their name comes from.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I've got to be on so many watchlists by now. Rather than linking it, I'll just post:

quote:

During the American Revolution, the active forces in the field against the King’s tyranny never amounted to more than III% of the colonists. Three percenters today, for the most part, identify with this 3% because they were true patriots fighting for the freedoms the nation we love and honor was founded on. Three percenters intend to maintain their God-given natural rights to liberty and property. History itself, for good or ill, is made by determined minorities. Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed citizens to change the world. Indeed, it has never been done otherwise.

A Threepercenter can be anyone, while an Oathkeeper is active duty Law Enforcement or Military

Many of us three percenters swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and affirming that we are guardians of the Republic, of the principles in our Declaration of Independence, and of the rights of our people, we affirm and declare the following:

We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.
We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people
We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.
We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.
We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control.”
We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Mr Interweb posted:

Also Roman numerals look way more badass on a tattoo.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing they only need 9.9 million Americans to take up arms to start the new American Revolution.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

We. Are. The. 96 or 97 percent depending whether or not you include the other 1%.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I've got to be on so many watchlists by now. Rather than linking it, I'll just post:

"We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances."

Unless they're black, in which case the oathkeepers will rush to help the police enact martial law.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

SquadronROE posted:

Also Roman numerals look way more badass on a tattoo.

Isn't the % sign just a jumbled 100, though? Because that's what I was taught in school and it's the combination that's weirding me out. The per-mille sign has one more 0, too.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Evil Fluffy posted:

"We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances."
Unless they're black, in which case the oathkeepers will rush to help the police enact martial law.

If you're talking about Ferguson, I thought the OK went there specifically to square off with the police, not the locals. Do I rememeber wrongly?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

These are the pledges for the III%ers, not the Oath Keepers. Also: do the Oath Keepers have a history of racist activities, or are you just beating a dead horse? I'm honestly curious, I'd never heard of them until all this.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Keep in mind that the "militia interpol," whatever the hell that is, has also put out one of those "red notices" for the governor of Michigan, and the local militia is apparently teaming up with Michael Moore to "defend" Flint.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

If you're talking about Ferguson, I thought the OK went there specifically to square off with the police, not the locals. Do I rememeber wrongly?

IIRC they did show up on the side of the protesters which lead to a huge schism happening... because of course racism.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm looking forward to the inevitable maelstrom of violence

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I look forward to them being blueballed once more and still alove and arrested for life.

Somethibg to shock the rest into realizing that not only can the fed take them down whenever they feel like it, but they also are denied martyrdom and face jail.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah a group of oathkeepers showed up in Ferguson and were like "hey the police appear to be doing these things we agreed were bad to do to people let's do something about it!" and the rest were all "umm, thats only for if the police to it to dumb greedy hicks, we just can't write it out explicitly any more you dumb fucks"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-oath-keeper-who-wants-to-arm-black-lives-matter-20160103?page=2

quote:

Rather than wait for approval from the group, Andrews went public. On August 19th, he gave an interview to a reporter from Newsweek in which he expanded on the moral rationale behind the march, sounding — for a white guy from the suburbs of St. Louis — not unlike a fist-raising black nationalist.

"What I can tell you is we are going to march side by side with the black residents of Ferguson — armed," Andrews said. "The point of the march is to have every black child in America see law-abiding black citizens carrying weapons and not being attacked by the police."

A demonstration for the right to bear arms against abusive cops, in the very city that had become ground zero for police brutality, might seem like the type of antiauthoritarian display that typically excites the Oath Keepers' board of directors, but Rhodes was unimpressed. When he came back from Montana and saw the Newsweek article, he sent Andrews a pair of sternly-worded emails, acknowledging that the citizens of Ferguson had "a right to do what we did — secure life, liberty and property against looters, shooters, rapists, robbers and burners." But he also noted that he was "getting backlash from within the gun rights community" and was worried that a public protest would make it seem as if the Oath Keepers wanted local residents "to be armed to directly confront the cops."

Of course, being armed to directly confront authorities is precisely what the Oath Keepers had done at the Bundy ranch and Sugar Pine. In Rhodes' notes, Andrews said he sensed a racist double standard. A few days later, when Rhodes and other leaders conclusively rejected the idea of the march, tempers ran high and Andrews angrily hung up on Steve Homan during a conference call. "I asked him, 'How dark does your skin have to be before you don't have Second Amendment rights?'" Andrews says.

It was at that point that Andrews got an email from John Karriman, a former cop who runs the Oath Keepers' chapter in Missouri. Karriman wrote that the march had been scotched because the board "perceived it as pitting the Blacks against the police." He added that while it was still possible for Andrews, who had showed some promise as an Oath Keeper, to repair his relations with the national organization, that would only happen if he gave up his "abrasiveness" and quit "doing MLK impressions."

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Here in reality, however, it was about a third of the colonists. Another third were loyalists, and the other third were neutral. They also ignore the influence of international military and material support, namely the French navy.

Maybe 3% were actual uniformed soldiers shooting at the British with muskets, but they still required a lot of popular support. Even today, the rule of thumb is that for every actual grunt on the ground, there's 10 non-grunts supporting them: pay officers, cooks, armorers, supply, mechanics, etc. The army even has a corps of laundry technicians whose entire job is to deploy industrial laundry services in war zones.

So to say that only 3% took up arms is disingenuous at best.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

quote:

We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.

This one is oddly... specific?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be funny when PPN grabs their guns and goes to stop the FBI, and gets charged with the exact same conspiracy the Bundys got popped for.

j/k they're probably just loudmouthed pussies.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
I think DefendYourBase is the smartest guy out there. I'd love to see what his google adsense account looks like. I predict after this ends without any more violence he will start a youtube militia/politics show and become a youtube star. He's had a steady audience this whole time, even when we're just looking at the sky for an hour.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I think DefendYourBase is the smartest guy out there. I'd love to see what his google adsense account looks like. I predict after this ends without any more violence he will start a youtube militia/politics show and become a youtube star. He's had a steady audience this whole time, even when we're just looking at the sky for an hour.

No, he's a loving idiot that can't even manage a 1 KDR on an FPS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

So to say that only 3% took up arms is disingenuous at best.

Whoa are you calling these patriots liars?

• Locked thread