Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gonkish posted:

Because Chris wants to stick it to Hollywood, and Sandi wants to pad her CV. Ego. It's the only reason.

Well yes, if you ignore the fact that Star Citizen is about developing a game then it makes perfect sense. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

To be fair, I don't think any of the MWO people are involved in the HBS game, certainly not at the executive level (unless we're talking credited producers because someone like Jordan worked on the original ip), and at least you can look at the shadow run games as a samp of HBS's way of doing business

Harebrained is awesome and have 3 solid titles delivered using crowdfunding. They're like one of the few success stories. The anti-CIG if you will.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

squirrelzipper posted:

Harebrained is awesome and have 3 solid titles delivered using crowdfunding. Their like one of the few success stories. The anti-CIG if you will.

Actually the MWO folks are involved in the HBS game. They're providing the mech assets. That's right, most of the asset generation for MW is already done.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
What do they mean with "Reverse the Verse" anyways? Do they want to undo creation now or re-visit the Big Bang? I mean it looks like the Big Bang is straight ahead so what ...

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

To be fair, I don't think any of the MWO people are involved in the HBS game, certainly not at the executive level (unless we're talking credited producers because someone like Jordan worked on the original ip), and at least you can look at the shadow run games as a samp of HBS's way of doing business

No, they acquired the license. MWO is different from Battletech Kickstarter.

EDIT:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Actually the MWO folks are involved in the HBS game. They're providing the mech assets. That's right, most of the asset generation for MW is already done.

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 28, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

dogboy posted:

What do they mean with "Reverse the Verse" anyways? Do they want to undo creation now or re-visit the Big Bang? I mean it looks like the Big Bang is straight ahead so what ...

"We said so much poo poo we kinda have to go over it to see how much of it is even remotely feasible"

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

"We said so much poo poo we kinda have to go over it to see how much of it is even remotely feasible"

"If I could turn back time!"

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Alternatively "Oh God, what have we, no he, said."

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Why is the only video I actually want to see from RSI delayed? :sigh:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Ah, Valve's Half-Life episodic approach. That worked p. well. Maybe Squadron 42 episode 2 ends on a massive cliffhanger when Croberts eventuallys gets tossed into the clink
I think the only developer who has pulled off episodic content is Telltale, though I think I remember it being pretty rough at the beginning.

Also adventure games are nowhere near as involved as open world first person shootmans space simulator cutscene hell games.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

RubberJohnny posted:

As part of G0RFs project to dispirit the SC backers by collecting evidence out that it's never coming out I decided to go through Reverse the Verse and create a list of every feature so we can point out just how much is left to be implemented. Although I'm not going to watch them myself, and just use INNs transcripts - but even reading those is terrible and kills me.

- They talk about fast food all the time goddamn they're fat fucks
- So much of the running time is updates on various ships that don't have anything but names or art, like 15 minutes every week - this "game" is just spaceship masturbation.
- They repeat so much from week to week, like the same updates on the same topics for four weeks in a row. Does anything get done?

The most damning things so far hasn't been features, it's that back in August they mentioned ArcCorp and Nyx were the only two landing zones nearly done, with only three more partially developed in total, for 5/100. This game is never coming out.
RtV has become a terrible show (generally) with Sandi's remaining bootlicking minions as the faces of CIG. It might as well be called "Uninteresting Craptoids About Wing Commander You Never Knew and Will Soon Regret Hearing About". (Side note- look what Sandi found!)

BanditLoaf posted:

"Sandi keeps coming back to my office with more sketches, film clips, blueprints for me. Best job in the world!"
RtV was actually rather charming in the past episodes with Chelsea, Will, James and some of the others.

I've found a lot of little gems that INN didn't log in their notes just by scrolling through the videos. Logged the best material for discussion purposes and downloaded some of the best footage just because CIG is Orwellian as hell and tends to erase things from the record once they read here that they left yet another smoking gun in the archives.

I don't consider what the community team says regarding release dates as especially valuable-- because Chris can always wave it off as underlings speaking out of turn about things they don't know about. The best gems tend to be the accidental disclosures, the emotional tensions after big moments of internal drama, the inadvertent confirmations of formerly alleged sins, and stuff like that.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Holy poo poo I caught up. This is a marathon boys, forget about sprinting.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
how do you resolve SQ42 being split into 5(!) parts, only 1 (or 2) of which backers will recieve for free, with "EA/ACTIVITION/ELITE expansions/dlc are a total ripoff"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nicholas posted:

how do you resolve SQ42 being split into 5(!) parts, only 1 (or 2) of which backers will recieve for free, with "EA/ACTIVITION/ELITE expansions/dlc are a total ripoff"

cognitive dissonance my friend

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lime Tonics posted:

Even though Squadron 42 is released as a final product, players will also here have to be patient: “The one player campaign in Squadron 42 is played out in five chapters, with around 15 hours of content in each chapter. Each chapter will be like a game in it self, and when all the chapters are released Squadron 42 will contain over 70 hours of content.” - ERIN ROBERTS

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5323399/#Comment_5323399

Backers get the first 2 chapters for free, after that who knows how much they gonna charge.

The scam continues.

Oh for gently caress's sake. Now it's 15 hours of loving content?

Let's go over the history of Squadron 42:

In the beginning, Squadron 42 was to be a standalone game. Then a stretch goal came along with a mission pack called "Behind Enemy Lines". At some point SQ42 was described as this epic thing with 50 hours of gameplay. Then last year it was split into three episodes, with the first episode having around 20 hours of gameplay and people with the mission pack getting the second episode. Then in October it became an open world concept that CIG still hasn't explained. Now it's five episodes of 15 hours each.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

They probably tasked passed-out-pizza-box dude with editing today's AtV.

God speed pizza dude.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which is also cool because it's helped provide incentive for both companies to roll out mechs that haven't been seen since Harmony Gold started suing the bejeezus out of anybody who tried to use them in the early nineties. And because the MWO art guy (Alex Iglesias) is incredibly talented, and all of his giant stompy robots look pretty incredible. Especially compared to some of the older Battletech art (I understand the nostalgia value, but come on, that poo poo's goofy as gently caress).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tanith posted:

Why is the only video I actually want to see from RSI delayed? :sigh:

Croberts is way too selfish to ever Bud Dwyer hisself on twitch

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nicholas posted:

It helps having Star Citizens who will try to reconcile and explain away all of the uncomfortable facts for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nicholas posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

Which is also cool because it's helped provide incentive for both companies to roll out mechs that haven't been seen since Harmony Gold started suing the bejeezus out of anybody who tried to use them in the early nineties. And because the MWO art guy (Alex Iglesias) is incredibly talented, and all of his giant stompy robots look pretty incredible. Especially compared to some of the older Battletech art (I understand the nostalgia value, but come on, that poo poo's goofy as gently caress).

Exactly. The mechs are what really makes the BT universe, and I love Iglesias' approach with them.

Also this:

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 28, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Landing zones aren't systems. They've promised 100 systems. But if you assume a capacity of 1 million spergs that means each system has to support 10,000 people. Even if you assume only 100,000 people will play (something like three times EVE's peak load) that's still 1000 players per system... assuming a perfectly even distribution.

The best thing about Star Citizen is finding out all the ways it can't possibly work.

LOL!! That made me spit out my coffee. Seriously.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nicholas posted:

Because nobody gives a hot gently caress about Squadron 42 and are expecting normies to buy it to fund their cargo stacking simulation

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

No, they acquired the license. MWO is different from Battletech Kickstarter.

EDIT:

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool

It's amazing that finally the only good thing about MWO (the art) will end up in a game that's most likely going to actually be fun :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Just going to leave this here so you can ponder the fuckeries within

Cloud Imperium Games invests £15 million in its UK studio

They just took $16.5M out of the US corp and put in Chris's brother's studio, Foundry 42, which is developing SQ42

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 28, 2016

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012
How does this saga delivering? How. :five:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In the beginning, Squadron 42 was to be a standalone game. Then a stretch goal came along with a mission pack called "Behind Enemy Lines". At some point SQ42 was described as this epic thing with 50 hours of gameplay. Then last year it was split into three episodes, with the first episode having around 20 hours of gameplay and people with the mission pack getting the second episode. Then in October it became an open world concept that CIG still hasn't explained. Now it's five episodes of 15 hours each.

In 2 weeks Croberts announces "It's in the game already, what more do you want".

paaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrppp

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is this reality

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well, that's going to explain how they monetize on it. (Edit: And we haven't even started talking about the 41 possible prequels at five episodes each)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! That made me spit out my coffee. Seriously.

One of these days I'll go through my post history and find out all the ways CIG can't possibly meet their own expectations. It's a lot of writing.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

sorla78 posted:

Well, that's going to explain how they monetize on it.

I saw it back when they announced: "Nonono, it's actually a trilogy and you just paid for the first part!", but now they're pushing it to the point of absurdity lol. Bestest marketing woman evah!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

D_Smart posted:

They just took $16.5M out of the US corp and put in Chris's brother's studio, Foundry 42, which is developing SQ42

someone post this on reddit, please

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyLoon posted:

I saw it back when they announced: "Nonono, it's actually a trilogy and you just paid for the first part!", but now they're pushing it to the point of absurdity lol. Bestest marketing woman evah!

It gets better. CIG will be selling Squadron 42 as a standalone game on February 14. How much do you want to bet they'll try to charge $60 for 15 hours worth of content?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://screenrant.com/star-citizen-marine-update-2016/

lol, also doing a quick google search on star citizen is a bunch of other "game" sites saying buy the game now!!!11!!11111, just sort by date newest.

Looks like someone is calling in favors to stop the bleeding.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It gets better. CIG will be selling Squadron 42 as a standalone game on February 14. How much do you want to bet they'll try to charge $60 for 15 hours worth of content?

Yep, I can already see Ben reaching out: each episodes provide you 15hours of Chris Roberts Entertainment in a time where most other AAA games provide only 5-10hours max on their Single-Campaigns, that's a good deal, considering that we drop an interactive movie on top of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
One of my favourite things about all this is this:

Squadron 42 - no one gives a gently caress apart from Chris
Star Citizen open world thing - everyone gives a gently caress apart from Chris

This is how and why hilarious times are a comin' - as more and more of the dwindling resources are forced into SQ42 the louder the crying will be from spergers who want the open world, which will be neglected / shitcanned / mothballed

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

http://screenrant.com/star-citizen-marine-update-2016/

lol, also doing a quick google search on star citizen is a bunch of other "game" sites saying buy the game now!!!11!!11111, just sort by date newest.

Looks like someone is calling in favors to stop the bleeding.

ctrl+f > "annoy" - 0 results found.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

D_Smart posted:

Is the $16.5m just the new money? Wouldn't 15 million GBP would be closer to 21 million USD?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

now what the gently caress is this about

also £15m is more like $20m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

D_Smart posted:

"arranging meetings with important public officials at HMRC and the British Film Institute (BFI) regarding whether a multi-million pound performance capture shoot would qualify for UK video games tax relief"

Master stroke. :gary:

• Locked thread