Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So in terms of value, is this a game that you finish relatively quick or is this one of those 100+ hour huge teeth sinky games?
There is a challenge mode to complete the game within 91 weeks. Each expedition lasts a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

It is extremely the latter.

Quoting myself to clarify. It's long yes, but you don't really have to finish it. Finishing the entire game is extremely grindy and somewhat pointless. Conquering all of Mount and Blade is a good comparison because in both cases it's unreasonable to expect someone to "finish" the game but on the other hand there is no real need to. The experience comes from the play. No (sane) person feels unfulfilled if they don't paint the whole Mount and Blade map their color, they just play until it gets old and then call it a campaign. Maybe they'll do another later for kicks, maybe not. It's the same with this game. It will take an unreasonable eternity to finish, but there is really no need to finish other than to say you did so.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TastyLemonDrops posted:

4 jesters can just lead with 4 solos. Because they're fast, they usually go before enemies. That's -40 accuracy with a level 1 skill on the first turn.

I'll restart my campaign and stream it when I get home, and leave the recording as videos. I'll even make an effort to have a 4 jester A-team.

That doesn't make them overpowered. I guess it could work, but they have to spend the first turn doing chip damage. You could just run a party that can actually kill stuff quickly instead and also have healing abilities to let them come back from bad RNG.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Quoting myself to clarify. Just because it's long doesn't mean to have to finish it. Finishing the entire game is extremely grind and somewhat pointless. Conquering all of Mount and Blade is a good comparison because in both cases it's unreasonable to expect someone to "finish" the game but on the other hand there is no real need to. The experience comes from the play. No (sane) person feels unfulfilled if they paint the whole Mount and Blade map their color, they just play until it gets old and then call it a campaign. Maybe they'll do another later for kicks, maybe not. It's the same with this game. It will take an unreasonable eternity to finish, but there is really no need to finish other than to say you did so.

The endgame is actually very cool, but it's definitely locked away behind way too much slog.

Internet Kraken posted:

That doesn't make them overpowered. I guess it could work, but they have to spend the first turn doing chip damage. You could just run a party that can actually kill stuff quickly instead and also have healing abilities to let them come back from bad RNG.

Solo does no damage, and also has a ~60% base chance to land the debuff against monsters with no particular debuff resistance. It's not unworkable, but you can abuse dodge stacking with other setups that don't rely on beating resistances.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 29, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
This game would be great if they had a normal mode, where all you'd need to do is kill all the level 1 main bosses which would make the town cheaper to unlock each time, THEN you could DD after that. Right now it's like in grind mode, where you need a ton of poo poo before you can even look at the final dungeon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For what its worth a dev said in stream they are looking at ways to lessen the amount of grind you need to get teams ready for the Darkest Dungeon. That's my only real problem with the game so I'd like them to put in a solution as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I find I enjoy imposing a slower pace on myself with this game - I'll settle in for typically two runs, maybe a few more if I'm feeling it, and for that session I'll put on headphones and really enjoy the ambiance and that narrator. The game could - and does! - become a little boring if you spend too much time playing it in one shot, but spread out like this I don't mind the grind or hearing the narrator say "destroy...them...ALL!" for the nth time.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So i've had two games, both around 60ish weeks. I regularly do dark runs, like every 3rd mission or so I do a total dark run with lvl 0s. I have never seen a Shambler. I'm waiting for it to happen at the worst possible time.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Well, that's gotta suck.

sirtommygunn posted:

But the achievement though.
Reynauld doesn't deserve redemption.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This game would be great if they had a normal mode, where all you'd need to do is kill all the level 1 main bosses which would make the town cheaper to unlock each time, THEN you could DD after that. Right now it's like in grind mode, where you need a ton of poo poo before you can even look at the final dungeon.

Personally I really enjoy the progression and the way the difficulty curve is scaled, but it stretches waaay too much towards the end.

EDIT: I guess you could mostly get the same sense by having an easy/medium/hard difficulty setting. I'd still the miss trinket collecting part, though.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 29, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you could pay a gold or heirloom cost to ensure a specific class would be on the next stagecoach, that would go a long way to removing the grind aspect.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Or just have a third upgrade that's a "headhunter" slot. Upgrading it increases the number of slots that can be reserved on the coach for certain heroes upto a max of 4.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Thyrork posted:

Or just have a third upgrade that's a "headhunter" slot.

That's just asking for the stagecoach to bring you the severed head of each class.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Kraken posted:

For what its worth a dev said in stream they are looking at ways to lessen the amount of grind you need to get teams ready for the Darkest Dungeon. That's my only real problem with the game so I'd like them to put in a solution as well.

Pretty sure the town events are supposed to help with this to some extent. One of the 'example' ones we've seen occupies every Plague Doctor in the Hamlet so they can't adventure or do something else, but it also gives them +2 Resolve without any danger of dying or going insane.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't mind the length too much. it's the kind of game I can load once a night, do 2 missions, then do something else. I think I've got about 45 hours logged, up to week 100 and have a few bosses left to go. I can see it being grindy as hell if you try to play too much in a smaller timeframe, but I've played it on and off over the course of just under a year, so like other roguelike games it's something cool to just switch on and mess with a few times a week. Playing the game like it's your job though, you'll go as crazy as the caretaker.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

man I went completely blind into the Darkest Dungeon and killed the Shambling Horror on my first foray with zero casualties, including killing the cultist first. maybe y'all are juat bad :c00l:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Let us know how the rest of the dungeon goes!

And by, let us know, i meant die horrifically in a nightmare made manifest. :unsmigghh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you don't care about your week count and just want to level your guys as fast as you can you can always send four stagecoach chumps into the darkest dungeon and then immediately retreat. Failing to clear a level of the darkest dungeon gives your next mission a 2x resolve xp multiplier.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Streaming now: http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Come make fun of me when I get demolished because I was so confident.

This is boring because:

1. No 4 jester parties
2. You don't have a microphone
3. You don't respond to chat

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

UberJew posted:

He also regularly falls prey to the slow and insidious killer

he will spend a couple minutes saying 'there's no way i can do this, i have to retreat' and then drive on to hilarious hubris

Watching someone else screw up can be a valuable learning experience. It's also entertaining.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BBJoey posted:

man I went completely blind into the Darkest Dungeon and killed the Shambling Horror on my first foray with zero casualties, including killing the cultist first. maybe y'all are juat bad :c00l:
..."maybe"?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ranter posted:

This is boring because:

1. No 4 jester parties
2. You don't have a microphone
3. You don't respond to chat

1) You need 4 jesters to have a 4 jester party.
2) I do, but it's off because people are sleeping.
3) I responded to you and then you left without responding back. :colbert:

I had mentioned that the Jester went last because he had Off Guard, which is far worse than Kleptomaniac, I think. -4 speed and -5 dodge on the first turn of fights is ludicrous. Also I can't do anything about the jester problem until I actually get 4 jesters!

That being said, have a two hour recording in which I have no money problems and minimal staff problems despite running dark. Only one person died, and he was a level 0 mook. Got an achievement for it so whatever! The game is absolutely boring if you just pop torches whenever you dip under 75.

http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops/videos

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Let us know how the rest of the dungeon goes!

And by, let us know, i meant die horrifically in a nightmare made manifest. :unsmigghh:

no problem with 3 and 4 but I had to retreat losing a MaA on the second run because I thought the curio locations would be random and visited basically every non-curio room before I realised the room layout was a pattern with the curios at particular places :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
On dark runs; I think managing your light level is an important part of playing well, at least on NG+ where you need to get the most out of missions. Getting extra loot from fights is great obviously but you have to be in a position to handle them. Scouting is really important here; you can't be surprised by a fight you've scouted, and even fighting in pitch black isn't that bad if you don't get surprised. So I try to keep light level up until I scout out upcoming areas, then I'll let it fall or manually drop it for that sweet gold.

I don't want to run without any torches because if a mission gets bad RNG I want to be in a position to recover, and fighting at full light lets me do that. Also my pockets are always overflowing with loot anyways so running completely dark would be a waste.

Radiochromatic posted:

Watching someone else screw up can be a valuable learning experience. It's also entertaining.

I keep watching streams where it looks like the player is going to lose horribly but then they get absurd luck and everything is fine. A guy walked into the formless flesh with a horrid party comp. His entire part was put into death's door, but he resisted like 10+ deathblows and came out with zero casualties.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 29, 2016

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Internet Kraken posted:

I keep watching streams where it looks like the player is going to lose horribly but then they get absurd luck and everything is fine. A guy walked into the formless flesh with a horrid party comp. His entire part was put into death's door, but he resisted like 10+ deathblows and came out with zero casualties.

This is me, the person who's really awful at the game but manages to succeed through dumb, blind luck.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
those giant dudes in the weald really get me treed off

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I fell for the "attack the cultist" trap on my first foray against the shuffling horror.

Dont feel too bad, some guy a couple pages ago managed to lose 20 characters to this and still couldnt figure it out.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
As I'm coming close to finishing this game (still have missions left in the DD though) here's my provisional thoughts about class balance.

I'll mention that I think personally think the real strength of any composition, especially at champion level, is being able to quickly and rapidly take out targets, especially in the back rank. You want to front-load burst damage on enemies as much as possible, because you will always lose dice rolls in this game, and every turn the enemy has is a chance that those dice will roll against you. For that reason I value damage, speed, and the ability to hit back rank (usually weaker and more dangerous) targets super highly. Likewise, I also value dodge, because high dodge avoids all riders on an attack (bleed, stress, debuffs, etc) in addition to straight damage.

This is ordered, so top of each tier is better than the lower of the same tier. I don't think there are truly any super bad classes in the game, just sub-optimal, which means a lot when you can only spend so much money/take only so many people on a mission.

Healer tier (you're taking one of these on serious missions)
Occultist - I value occultists over vestals because they do pretty good damage, have a strong mark/debuff, and their heal, while it can screw you over, has a lot of 1 turn value, unlike the vestal's.
Vestal - Not as good as an occultist but better in some situations solely due to the party heal, which can pull multiple people out of danger and helps you win wars of attrition. Her stun is decent. I'd bring her on attrition missions.

Top tier (would almost always take, strong in almost all situations)

Hellion - She is a super good rank 1 damage dealer and can hit every position, has an awesome stun, has great camping buffs, and can self-cure bleed/blight which is huge for later missions. Best melee in the game bar none. Iron swan basically makes this class I think.
Grave Robber - Super accurate, high speed ranged damage dealer with high crit rate/dodge that can deal damage from every rank. Extremely reliable, fast, high damage, which is very important for later missions. Has ok trinkets and camping buffs, but there's basically no situation I wouldn't take her in.
Houndmaster - People call him mediocre but his real strength is being pretty good at god drat everything, which is huge. His camping buffs are really good, he has a fantastic stun, he can hit every rank, and he is bar none the best dodge tank in the game. He also has a dog.

Good tier (would take in a lot of situations)

Arbalest - The Arbalest has great trinkets, good camping buffs, and does a poo poo ton of damage from the back rank. Nobody else can pump out 50+ damage crits from there on marked targets. I only put her in good tier because I think she's a lot weaker in a party without a mark.
Bounty Hunter - Awesome stuns, extremely high and reliable melee damage, but he can't hit the back rank, and his camping skills are just ok. Very good class in marking teams.
Abomination - Only reason I rank this guy low is he's a pain in the rear end to use because you have to pair him with an occultist and he drives everyone crazy without the right trinket. Otherwise he's a total shitwrecker. Even in human form, his self heal/stress heal is incredibly strong, and his high damage stun is great.
Man At Arms - Cool class, versatile (can hit the 3rd rank), has a decent stun, guard, and riposte is pretty drat good. The real reason I take him is his god drat superb camping buffs, though his low damage output can be kind of a pain in the rear end.

Decent Tier (would take in some situations)
Plague Doctor - The doc's pretty good, especially with the double stun on back ranks and the ability to cure blight/bleed which is insanely good in some later dungeons. Overall though she's a little too slow for my tastes. Good at grinding down a boss, but the damage on her DoTs builds up too slowly and doesn't really scale with damage buffs/champion level HP. I liked her a lot better before champion tier.
Highwayman - He's a hybrid class that isn't the houndmaster. Point blank shot is good, as is duelists' advance, since it can hit the back ranks, but his ranged stuff is super anemic. Still a good class though.
Crusader - High hp, naturally high damage class. He kind of sucks at doing anything other than being an hp sponge and mashing the front rank though since they nerfed holy lance, and his camping skills are pretty bad. I like taking him in the ruins and he does ok in the darkest dungeon.
Leper - He's a cool guy for mashing the front two ranks, which you will almost never want to hit first, and becoming a total useless sack of poo poo when he's ever moved anywhere. He's really good at killing certain bosses, and can pump out some crazy damage, but he desperately needs some ability to hit the 3rd rank, or at least shift himself forwards. His design really clashes with the encounter design of the game at the moment.

Jester tier
Jester - Jester's kind of cool in shuffle parties and he has nice camping buffs, but I personally think stress healing is pretty garbage outside of areas like the darkest dungeon. If you kill poo poo fast enough it never becomes a problem. I've ran 62 weeks in my current campaign and I've never had anyone hit 200 stress.

Operant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 29, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I pretty much agree with operant's viewpoints on this poo poo haha. Couple things he didn't mention, is that graverobber and houndmaster are also up there because they have really strong scouting camp buffs and trinkets, which can be really important.

Working a jester into a rank3 spot in an abomination party lets you stack more damage options onto the abomination instead of the -stress trinket. Still haven't gotten around to leveling my occ-jest-abom-hell party up to level 5 dungeons, so he might be a tad weaker there. On the other hand, occ+abom+hellion is a poo poo-ton of damage to their back ranks already, so a weaker guy isn't so bad. Outside of that composition, if you have a really strong group besides him you can take a group of people who are stressed to a mission and come out clean, saving time and costs on stress relief.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Operant posted:

I honestly think that dark runs for loot purposes are pretty bad because if you run high light and +scouting you are pretty much guaranteed to get three magical money gems with 0 risk on your part. That's like 7500 gold off the bat that takes up only 3 slots

If you have the hound master whistle that increases scouting below 51 light you can have both

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Operant posted:

I honestly think that dark runs for loot purposes are pretty bad because if you run high light and +scouting you are pretty much guaranteed to get three magical money gems with 0 risk on your part. That's like 7500 gold off the bat that takes up only 3 slots

You're only guaranteed to get a secret room on long missions. Short missions never have them and medium are 50/50.

(Not to mention, there's nothing stopping you from snuffing the torch as soon as you uncover a secret room.)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm loving this so far but I'm confused:

How do I set skills? Like, I want to customize which four skills my guys use, and the game said something about it but I don't remember what its exact words were and I can't find old tutorial messages. So, how do I set the skills my guys go out with?

Also, I've finally lost all of my veteran adventurers. It's like X-COM all over again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
My level 6 leper got crit for 30 by one of those loving fish spearman placing him on deaths door. That pushes his stress over the limit and has him get afflicted with masochistic. He moves next and kills himself :(. loving fish people, need to lease the cove out to Halliburton.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How do I set skills? Like, I want to customize which four skills my guys use, and the game said something about it but I don't remember what its exact words were and I can't find old tutorial messages. So, how do I set the skills my guys go out with?

Open the character's stat page by right clicking their portrait icon. At the top right you'll see all skills they have. Ones you can't use will have an X over them, and ones you have equipped will have a yellow diamond over and a yellow border around them. Click those to select your skills. Same goes with camping skills below. You can have four equipped for both fighting and camp skills, though I think you only get three camp skills already unlocked when you recruit a hero. You can choose to have less skills than four, but you shouldn't ever do that for obvious reasons. You can also swap skills between fights.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When do you use marks? What characters have good synergy with them?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elderbean posted:

Houndmaster, Bounty Hunter, & Arbalest all have skills that have bonuses against marked targets. The Occultist can mark, but doesn't have any skills that get extra damage against marked targets.

If you plan on relying on marked targets, you should run at least two characters around it. One to mark, the other to attack.

Marks are also best used against large enemies or bosses.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Greatbacon posted:

Houndmaster, Bounty Hunter, & Arbalest all have skills that have bonuses against marked targets. The Occultist can mark, but doesn't have any skills that get extra damage against marked targets.

If you plan on relying on marked targets, you should run at least two characters around it. One to mark, the other to attack.

Marks are also best used against large enemies or bosses.

occultist is best as the marker because they don't have great ways to attack all ranks unconditionally; they either need to be near the front or have weird targeting requirements

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Elderbean posted:

Bounty hunters and Arbalests have strong mark synergy, Highwaymen and Graverobbers have weak synergy (each has a move that deals 25% bonus damage on marked targets). You use them on anything you want to kill quickly that has high health -- pretty much every boss, those weald fuckos with tree branches. Whether you should mark something with lower health depends heavily on two things: How many party members you have that can take advantage of it, and whether it will mitigate that enemies main form of defenses (skills that mark reduce either prot or dodge).

Marks don't last that long, so marking with a single bounty hunter or arbalest is generally not worth it unless it's some rear end in a top hat defenses. An easy solution for that, without building around marking, is to have an occultist with his mark skill. Bonus points if he always goes before the bounty hunter in a round.

e: I forgot houndmaster. Just jam that pooch in between Bounty Hunter and Arbalest in my post.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that cannon 1-shot my entire party. I had some gems from a hidden room worth an asston too. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That's Our Snak [CANNED LAUGHTER]