Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Vargatron posted:

itt we all post our burned CD playlist ca. 2006 (or whenever the gently caress you were in high school).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKxtTPQ1Q8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Pretty much all of Pantera is cool and good and Phil in his prime is one of the better metal singers of all time imo. Right up there with Dickenson, Dio, Ozzy, Halford, and whoever else.

I don't think he's racist but he's still pretty much an idiot redneck high school dropout from Louisiana who does dumb poo poo sometimes.

If he takes the Reddit route and starts quoting FBI crime statistics about black people then yeah gently caress that guy and I'll change my tune.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

comes along bort posted:

You should listen to more Coroner

People should listen to more tech/prog thrash in general.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I really liked and still really like Pantera up through Trendkill. They were really aggressive and wrote some great songs, and Dimebag was a talented guitarist (he improvised the Cemetery Gates solo for example). I was listening to my brother's Death and Deicide tapes too but the vibe is very different and they both have their place. And hair metal had just died for gently caress's sake, before that you would be hearing Def Leppard and poo poo. That doesn't necessarily mean anything about their music, but they were popular and taken seriously back then. I don't know anything about five-finger death punch so I can't draw a parallel.

All that said, I probably listen to them every few years or so if that. Down, on the other hand, still gets in the rotation pretty often.

It's weird - anyone I've met IRL that likes metal likes at least some Pantera (regardless what they think of Phil or their fans) but the internet hates them, there's a big disconnect somewhere. Can someone point it out to me? (I already disagree with the low-effort statements like 'bad tone' 'boring' and 'ur gay' but if someone's willing to spell it out I'd be interested)

I probably would like Lamb of God if they came out when I was young and angsty :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All the metal fans I know IRL also think Pantera sucks.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Interesting to think that if he had yelled "Black power" there would be no problem.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Wizard Master posted:

Interesting to think that if he had yelled "Black power" there would be no problem.

that's not very interesting at all, actually....GRAND wizard master!!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

itt we all post our burned CD playlist ca. 2006 (or whenever the gently caress you were in high school).
Graduated just last year (teenage rebellion, hurrdy durr :pcgaming:) and I pretty much have exclusively used Pandora for music on the go and Youtube for when I'm at my computer during my entire time at high school. Never burned a CD in my life.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Of my three friends that are really into metal, one worships them, one doesn't give a poo poo since he's a prog/power metal nerd, and I never asked the third, though she likes Lamb of God so I can already assume the answer.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i remember when i got a tape of siamese dream

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pantera are the only metal band I ever really grew out of entirely.

My high school listening was a lot of Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, Iron Maiden, Death and various prog or otherwise strange bands I would find on the Internet (Sigh and Orphaned Land come to mind). My senior yearbook quote is a maudlin of the Well lyric. It's the most embarrassing thing about my entire HS experience and it's a memento that everyone has :negative:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pantera are the only metal band I ever really grew out of entirely.
Come to think of it, it's the only metal band I've ever grown out of, too, unless you count most of Anthrax except like 7 songs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

Come to think of it, it's the only metal band I've ever grown out of, too, unless you count most of Anthrax except like 7 songs.

Sometimes I feel like the only dude that still bumps Anthrax. I will stan for Among the Living forever. I got to mosh to Caught in a Mosh at Riot Fest and it felt like a life accomplishment.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
For any crusty old motherfuckers in here, I was wondering, what was it like to hear poo poo like Master of Puppets and One for the first time in your lives? I feel like hearing that kind of poo poo for the first time back in the 80's when we weren't drowning in metal and when you didn't have the internet to desensitize you would blast your dick clean off.

Grade 12 was the time of Blind Guardian and Ensiferum and poo poo for me. 2005 was a good year but then I started getting into more and more power metal and terrible poo poo like Sonata Arctica post Silence. Now I don't listen to it at all.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 29, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was too young for Master of Puppets, mom wouldn't let me listen to that stuff. :smith:

Even if I had listened to it, I probably wouldn't have appreciated it. Kids are dumb.

I was on board for the black album though, and every time Enter Sandman came on MTV it was "holy poo poo music doesn't get better than this." Though I kind of hate that song now, I still really dig other stuff on the disc.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm sad I didn't get to hear Fight Fire With Fire when it first came out. I can't even imagine what that was like.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Defiant Sally posted:

For any crusty old motherfuckers in here, I was wondering, what was it like to hear poo poo like Master of Puppets and One for the first time in your lives? I feel like hearing that kind of poo poo for the first time back in the 80's when we weren't drowning in metal and when you didn't have the internet to desensitize you would blast your dick clean off.

Probably a lot like what it was like when you heard all that stuff for the first time.

The only big difference between now and the dark ages is there weren't as many bands back then, which was kinda preferable in retrospect because 99% of bands these days are just lovely knockoffs of one thing or another. So if you got obsessed with something, it'd last weeks instead of a few days before you got bored and moved on to something else.

Also recording technology is a whole lot better these days.

Also funk metal. Nobody's doing that these days.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Vargatron posted:

oh jesus. That's alot of Nightwish. Tarja-era Nightwish :smug:

I like most of Pantera's songs and I like some of FFDP's songs. FFDP's like a cut-rate Pantera and idgaf whether or not the bands' tough guy schtick is ironic or not, a good riff is a good riff.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Chromatic posted:

Pretty much all of Pantera is cool and good and Phil in his prime is one of the better metal singers of all time imo. Right up there with Dickenson, Dio, Ozzy, Halford, and whoever else.

You must be high.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

You must be high.
He was legitimately really good on Power Metal

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I liked metal when I was 15 and lonely. Now I like post metal because I'm 28 and lonely.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

comes along bort posted:

Somewhat yeah. They weren't on the radio as much but they were definitely seen as a trailer trash/jock act for people who'd just got into metal via the black album. But they also kinda faded out of popular consciousness fairly quickly after Far Beyond Driven. Dimebag was always in various guitar magazines, so a lot of his legacy stems from that.

I think a lot of the attitude at the time comes from them being pretty much the only massively popular metal band other than Metallica for a good while. This is just in America though; no clue what people in Europe or wherever thought about them at the time.

e: If you lived in the south, there was a good 15 year period there where you'd see at least one Pantera knockoff local opener at any given show.
I grew up in the DFW metroplex in the 1990s so Pantera was a pretty big deal. A lot of Texas metalheads still like them, at least the ones I know.

When I think of "Pantera" I think of middle school, camel cigarettes and camping with my redneck cousins at the lake.

Groke posted:

This European metalhead never knew or cared one way or the other about Pantera. To this day I wouldn't recognize any of their songs if I heard them.
Pantera is a very, very American band. Cowboys From Hell and all that. Anselmo is a racist, but the irony (I suppose) is that you can't get to Pantera's groove metal sound without the influence of black American music. It's also why I think nu-metal took off so much in the United States. And a band like FFDP, when I hear their clean vocals I think "... sounds Californian." There was a moment starting in the 1990s when all these U.S. rock/metal vocalists started sounding like Californians. And they're from Vegas so it's within that sphere of influence.

I was talking about this with a metalhead friend, and we couldn't make heads or tails out of these European bands like Nightwish. It's like "what the gently caress is this!?" Lots of European metalheads don't like Nightwish, and a lot of Americans do, but really it's a European band that's drawing from a different musical tradition. Central European ears are just attuned to it in a way ours are not, generally.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 29, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

comes along bort posted:

The only big difference between now and the dark ages is there weren't as many bands back then, which was kinda preferable in retrospect because 99% of bands these days are just lovely knockoffs of one thing or another. So if you got obsessed with something, it'd last weeks instead of a few days before you got bored and moved on to something else.

Also, discovery was a pain in the rear end. It was either the radio or MTV, which even back then were super corporate and that meant fringe acts never really got played. The other main option was the suggestions of the guy behind the counter at your local bootleg selling CD store. But even that got dicey once alternative hit it big because that's what everyone was going nuts for.

Granted the internet has unleashed a sea of poo poo making it real hard to filter down to the good stuff, but at least you can do it sitting on your rear end at home.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

muike posted:

i remember when i got a tape of siamese dream

Hey friend :hfive:

Mellon Collie was the first CD I ever bought.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

No Music Discussion › Metal Thread #9492848 - Pantera was okay at some point I guess.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

You must be high.

Nope. Prime Phil could sing many styles of metal/music and do it to an exceptional degree. High hair metal(80s), hardcore shouting with amazing cleans(VdoP - Hollow), screaming(GST) and the soulful, blues croaning that he showed in Down. Of course then there's Cemetery Gates.

His voice is pretty much shot at this point but it didn't go into bad territory until around 2011. All the cigs, weed, and whiskey finally caught up to him. I wish he would at least try to get it back into 2007 Over The Under shape because it had this blues-ish old dog who'd seen it all quality that I liked. Nothing In Return is a loving masterpiece.

Edit: Count me among the many that don't really listen to Pantera much anymore. Maybe if I'm whiskey drunk then I'll blast their stuff but I'm much more of a Down person nowadays.

I loving love Down you all should too.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 29, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Defiant Sally posted:

Crusty old motherfucker here; got into metal when I was in high school in the late 80s (actually the first proper metal album I bought was AJFA, when it had just come out; on motherfucking TAPE). The main thing is that back then discovery of new bands was slower and sparser, especially if (like me) you lived in a place without much of a scene. Where I lived there was approximately one hour per week of metal on the radio (which I used to tape each week so I could listen to the program a bunch of times to see if there was anything particularly good), there were no specialized record stores (I lived in the rural boonies of Norway with only small towns within a reasonable range) and the generalist stores would only stock a pretty meager selection (although they'd happily place special orders for you, but that had better be something you actually knew you wanted badly enough to bother with), I had like three or four buddies who were into metal at all... bottom line is that which bands and which albums/songs you came across was a bit of a crapshoot, and opportunities to check out new stuff were rather limited. For instance I spent my formative early years listening to a lot of thrash (which was big at the time) but I missed out on several of the bigger names in the genre simply because I never came across any of their tapes (did have Metallica, Anthrax, Overkill, Testament and Slayer; did not have Exodus, Heathen or Megadeth, and so on). Was years and years before I ever had the opportunity to see a metal band play live.

What really blew me the gently caress away was the summer of '89 when I randomly borrowed Bathory's Blood Fire Death from a buddy. I had no loving idea and was not prepared.

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 29, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not a crusty old motherfucker, but the heaviest thing I heard before Metallica was Pink Floyd.

I assure you, the first time you hear Master of Puppets after that? Yeah. It tears you a new one.

It's one of the reasons why I can't ever stop worshipping Metallica. Absolutely I've heard all their songs about a million times, but I'll never forget the absolute brain-shattering first time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Here's a cool thing that Scythe of Death are putting out soon, to get away from Pantera chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9KNlu7l0U

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Wizard Master posted:

Hmm, yeah, it's almost like white power and black power have enormously different histories and cultural contexts or something

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I liked metal when I was 15 and lonely. Now I like post metal because I'm 28 and lonely.

I can blame Korn for my appreciation of metal :shrug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DeusExMachinima posted:

I like most of Pantera's songs and I like some of FFDP's songs. FFDP's like a cut-rate Pantera and idgaf whether or not the bands' tough guy schtick is ironic or not, a good riff is a good riff.

I'd never heard them before so I looked up a few youtubes.

The singer kinda sounds like Phil a little during verses but it's all Nickelback radio rock choruses. And apparently they think they're in the military or something because all their videos have ARE TROOPS doing poo poo in generic desert looking areas, probably outside Henderson, NV.

I still can't believe radio rock sounds almost exactly like it did 15 years ago. The guitars are a little heavier but the songs are practically note for note the same. Who still listens to that stuff?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well you see back in my day we had Creed and THEY had some real talent guys. Radio rock today is trash, etc etc

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Enter Sandman was the first metal song I ever heard when I was 12 or so. When my friend blasted it for me on his stereo, I was blown away.

That's my story.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

Grade 12 was the time of Blind Guardian and Ensiferum and poo poo for me. 2005 was a good year but then I started getting into more and more power metal and terrible poo poo like Sonata Arctica post Silence. Now I don't listen to it at all.

I got into Metallica just after Master of Puppets came out and it changed my life forever. I got exposed to that album between elementary school and middle school. I showed up on the first day of sixth grade in a Master of Puppets shirt and as soon as I got on the bus an eighth grader yelled at me to come sit back with him and his friend. From there I met everyone who would be my core group of friends for the next dozen or so years. Metal has influenced my life in so many positive ways for such a long time.

The And Justice for All tour was my first concert and it blew my mind. I went with my oldest sister and her boyfriend. Both were huge metalheads and a big influence on me. Her boyfriend had long hair and played guitar in a metal band and I thought he was the coolest dude in the world. I remember showing up to school after that weekend wearing my new Justice for All tour shirt and everyone was jealous as gently caress. I only knew one other person from my school who got to go to the show so it felt pretty good.

I remember when One came out as a big hit it was obviously the beginning of the end for the band. Kids who just months before scoffed at me for liking Metallica suddenly were singing One and it pissed me off a great deal to see them suddenly become fans because MTV was playing a song. And then you couldn't escape that god damned song. I still can't listen to it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

Well you see back in my day we had Creed and THEY had some real talent guys. Radio rock today is trash, etc etc

Oh it was trash back then I'm just saying it's still the same trash, which is odd. Like every other radio genre's changed significantly in the same period comparatively. Ironically country's probably had the largest stylistic shift.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

comes along bort posted:

Ironically country's probably had the largest stylistic shift.

To be fair, country basically just became hair metal with different aesthetics and a slightly different lyrical bent.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Most classic rock radio stations around here now play Metallica, Nickelback, Three Doors Down, Green Day and a bunch of other random bands. I'm not even old by any standard and it weirds me the gently caress out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had about a month still to my birthday when Puppets came out, so I guess not crusty enough. But I got into metal quite gradually, used to listen to whatever pop crap was on FM radio until one day my parents got me a Deep Purple CD for a birthday or something. That changed everything, the radio was no longer good enough and soon I got into Rainbow, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Slayer and so on.

The first time I heard Metallica was on a local music video channel, I think it was Nothing Else Matters or something lame off Load maybe. I was hugely disappointed, I've heard of Metallica before but listening to that my reaction was "...and they call this Metallica?" I never looked into the band again until after I've exhausted all the good Megadeth and Slayer albums. When I did, I was pleasantly surprised of course, but at that point there was no whoa effect. True story.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I listened to metal sporadically in my teen years but since I had terrible taste none of it was good. Dragonforce was a really important band to me at the time. It wasn't until I discovered Agalloch in my early 20s that I realized what good metal sounded like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

gently caress, Robb Flynn is calling out Phil and was backstage where the "white wine" wasn't. Phil also said to Robb that he "hated the friend of the family era of Machine Head."

But Down is sooooooooooooo good. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBKzWg4WYo

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 29, 2016