Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

trickybiscuits posted:

This pisses me off so bad. The residents of Burns must be furious/terrified. Then I remember that none of these people are going to do anything for the four people left at the wildlife refuge and feel better.

Link to slowed-up footage of Finicum getting shot.

There are some photos of Finicum wearing a shoulder holster with the gun on his left side, which is probably why he appeared to be reaching his arm across in the video. I don't think this was suicide by cop. I think he was really going to try to take at least one of them out and, fortunately, failed.

Someone earlier in the thread posted an excerpt from Finicum's novel, in which the obvious self-insert has been apprehended and interrogated by the evil government agents, but manages to pull out a handgun and kill them all.

So yes, I think you're quite likely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kal-L posted:

Was it an helicopter or plane type drone? I want to say helicopter because of how stable it was, but maybe there's stabilization software I don't know about.

You really don't have an appreciation for stabilization tech until you're trying to use a remote turret in the back of a vehicle that's off-roading. Yeah, we've got some really good poo poo.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Someone earlier in the thread posted an excerpt from Finicum's novel, in which the obvious self-insert has been apprehended and interrogated by the evil government agents, but manages to pull out a handgun and kill them all.

So yes, I think you're quite likely right.

I read on some facebook thread that LaVoy never used the type of pistol the FBI found on his body, always used some different caliber revolver,and it was always on his hip (not pocket) and that it was found at the refuge therefore the FBI were lying. I don't really know anything about guns so wasn't too sure if it was bollocks (it most likely was).

They got pretty lovely when I pointed out how funny it was that they posted a photo of him vandalising government property (the cameras) as 'evidence' though. Turns out they get pretty angry when you besmirch tarpman's good name.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
There's one thing that can be said for sure about Tarpmap: He was no angel. :smug::smug::smug:

Seriously I just love that these "patriots" get so, so angry when presented with the fact that they're giving a literal domestic terrorist who has caught on video not only the benefit of the doubt but their full unwavering support, and not someone like Michael Brown.

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 31, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Roblo posted:

I read on some facebook thread that LaVoy never used the type of pistol the FBI found on his body, always used some different caliber revolver,and it was always on his hip (not pocket) and that it was found at the refuge therefore the FBI were lying. I don't really know anything about guns so wasn't too sure if it was bollocks (it most likely was).

They got pretty lovely when I pointed out how funny it was that they posted a photo of him vandalising government property (the cameras) as 'evidence' though. Turns out they get pretty angry when you besmirch tarpman's good name.

This is a pretty simple, common, and stupid excuse for pretty much anything. "The gun was planted" which still ignores the main issue here that the fucker wrote fan fiction about killing cops, stated he would kill cops, that he wouldn't go alive, and did the hokey pokey stumble the mother gently caress around while repeatedly reaching down to where any number of weapons could or couldn't be

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

FAUXTON posted:

It's "Finnacum"

Like "Finna cum over these shitters getting wrecked"

:five:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ran Mad Dog posted:

There's one thing that can be said for sure about Tarpmap: He was no angel. :smug::smug::smug:

Seriously I just love that these "patriots" get so, so angry when presented with the fact that they're giving a literal domestic terrorist who has caught on video not only the benefit of the doubt but their full unwavering support, and not someone like Michael Brown.

They really, really need to turn Finicum into a martyr so they can find some way to salvage this month-long stupidity into a "victory". Also, racism.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Geostomp posted:

They really, really need to turn Finicum into a martyr so they can find some way to salvage this month-long stupidity into a "victory". Also, racism.

It's been really interesting to watch the narrative around him constantly shift to fit the immediate need. At first, he was shot while on his knees, with his hands in the air - that was based on "eyewitness accounts" as told through Cliven Bundy, right? Then, details emerge that he had run the roadblock and almost hit an officer (this was still before the video), so then it was that the feds shot first and it spooked him and he tried to escape. Then the video comes out, and now we've got the "he was reaching for a wound" and "his gun was at the refuge".

If we ever get bodycam and/or sound of the encounter, and it turns out that the wounding theory is a lie, I'm interested to know how their interpretation of events will immediately change and be broadcast to all like-minded patriots to parrot on social media comments.

By the way, on the wounding thing - I've read enough news articles about deadly force to know that one of the first things many people ask is "why didn't they just shoot him in the leg?" to which the reply is usually along the lines of "in a tense situation, you can't guarantee that kind of accuracy" or "police are trained to shoot to kill once a situation escalates to the point where a discharge is considered justified." In other words, the entire idea that they had this plan to expertly hit Finicum in the side, in order to make him reflexively reach toward his side, which could then be interpreted as "he's got a gun", justifying the use of deadly force, is all just more imaginary movie gun bullshit - at least in my opinion. Like, what a ridiculous plan! What if he didn't exit the vehicle, or the shot intending to wound missed its mark and hit him in the arm or foot, or even killed him? What if it missed entirely? Why would they need to invent some kind of bizarre plot that required precise, expert aim and timing?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There was a sharpshooter on the grassysnowy knoll!

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

trickybiscuits posted:

There are some photos of Finicum wearing a shoulder holster with the gun on his left side, which is probably why he appeared to be reaching his arm across in the video. I don't think this was suicide by cop. I think he was really going to try to take at least one of them out and, fortunately, failed.

I don't know. His behaviour seems more consistent with the idea of someone trying to get shot by the feds while not actually brandishing a firearm than with any other explanation. It looks like he's making a big show of going for his gun, is surprised at not getting shot the first time, and so has another go.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to discern what these people actually think since they have such wildly inaccurate self images. Finnacum appeared to be a true believer.

trickybiscuits posted:

That honking-and-driving video also pissed me off so much that I went and did some more work on a sewing project I started over a month ago, so this evening is turning out pretty well for me.

The idea of someone angrily sewing the poo poo out of something tickles me enormously.

Roblo posted:

Yeah, that's nonsense - SocketWrench is right, and even if it did matter, there are photographs of him with an automatic pistol in a shoulder holster (as trickybiscuits points out above). I don't know much about firearms either, but I would have thought that wearing a firearm at the hip would be inappropriate for a car journey anyway.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Perfectly Safe posted:

Yeah, that's nonsense - SocketWrench is right, and even if it did matter, there are photographs of him with an automatic pistol in a shoulder holster (as trickybiscuits points out above). I don't know much about firearms either, but I would have thought that wearing a firearm at the hip would be inappropriate for a car journey anyway.

That was what I was thinking, it looked like bullshit. What I was after was the evidence that he had used another gun, making it really obvious bullshit. Thanks for that.

And yeah, the idea that they would shoot him so precisely that he would look like he was reaching for a gun is just hilarious. I've never seen footage of someone immediately reaching for a gunshot wound before.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Roblo posted:

I've never seen footage of someone immediately reaching for a gunshot wound before.

I'm sure there is absolutely no connection between that being how it works in movies, and that being what the crazy narrative suggested here is.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
For those who have read my Authoritarian thread, what we are witnessing w/r/t Finicum'a death are what I call "Outer Narrative's. Outer Narratives do not need to resemble reality in any way and they will shift and twist and contort and it will not give any Narrativists a moments pause. The truthfulness and accuracy of an Outer Narrative is irrelevant.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

The microsoft hyperlapse stuff is probably some of the best i've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOpwHaQnRSY

How the hell does this work? :psyduck:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Roblo posted:

That was what I was thinking, it looked like bullshit. What I was after was the evidence that he had used another gun, making it really obvious bullshit. Thanks for that.

And yeah, the idea that they would shoot him so precisely that he would look like he was reaching for a gun is just hilarious. I've never seen footage of someone immediately reaching for a gunshot wound before.

These idiots have seen it loads times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_RyDppUp8&t=40s

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Jesus loving christ this stuff is painful to read;

quote:

Angelo Iarussi
Hands were up when he came out of the vehicle Never saw a weapon on his hand even on the enhanced and zoomed video.If you were going to shoot wouldn't you exit the vehicle with weapon drawn. Why wait till you realize there is a FBI agent in front and in back of you before you draw. Reaching down makes sense if you were shot in the left abdomen or back or you are already being shot at and are attempting to defend your life. Wonder if the feds on the ground realized they were being filmed at the time of that event.The film doesn't help them as several things on it don't bode well for them if you watch the whole thing lke the agent jumping in front of the vehicle as it tried to go around the road block firing shots at the driver wind shield and then claiming that they tried to run him over.A shootout is when both side are shooting at each other. An anbush is when one side is doing all the shooting. People don't hide in the tree line armed with rifles for a trafic stop.
Like · Reply · 6 · 59 mins

I agree with Prester Jane that reality has no impact in their narrative. This person is questioning whether the feds at the roadblock knew they were being filmed??!? Who does Angelo think was filming this? A PATRIOT AIRCREW in an invisible plane or something? Maybe a PATRIOT CIVILIAN DRONE or something.

I'm kind of surprised that the FBI hasn't release photographs of the vehicle to show bullet holes (or the lack thereof) just to shut off this stupid speculation. There is a certain amount of chatter on the III% sites about getting people with cameras to the location of the impounded truck to take pictures of the "hundreds of bullet holes" and poo poo like that. No results yet of course.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Jesus loving christ this stuff is painful to read;

I agree with Prester Jane that reality has no impact in their narrative. This person is questioning whether the feds at the roadblock knew they were being filmed??!? Who does Angelo think was filming this? A PATRIOT AIRCREW in an invisible plane or something? Maybe a PATRIOT CIVILIAN DRONE or something.

I'm kind of surprised that the FBI hasn't release photographs of the vehicle to show bullet holes (or the lack thereof) just to shut off this stupid speculation. There is a certain amount of chatter on the III% sites about getting people with cameras to the location of the impounded truck to take pictures of the "hundreds of bullet holes" and poo poo like that. No results yet of course.

Maybe the FBI also figures that the militia types will never believe anything they say anyway, so why even bother trying to refute their invented conspiracies when they'll just turn on a dime to invent a new one in the face of new evidence?

Like, let's say they show pictures of the vehicle and it isn't riddled with bullet holes? Someone will just point out some minor, almost imperceptible detail that "proves" it's not the real car.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Leofish posted:

Maybe the FBI also figures that the militia types will never believe anything they say anyway, so why even bother trying to refute their invented conspiracies when they'll just turn on a dime to invent a new one in the face of new evidence?

Oh I agree, it's just painful to follow in real time!

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
All the other bullshit about being shot to force hand movement and not actually going for a gun (no, you don't understand he was going for a stick of gum) is fine and deluded and crazy whatever, but how anyone cannot see that the diving agent was doing anything other than assuming that the car was going to ram the roadblock and went to dive out of the way at same time that the driver finally decided (incredibly late) that he was going around it is beyond me.

e: For some reason this part of the crazy really has me getting all incredulous.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 31, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Leofish posted:

Like, let's say they show pictures of the vehicle and it isn't riddled with bullet holes? Someone will just point out some minor, almost imperceptible detail that "proves" it's not the real car.

The video isn't to convince the true believers, it's to stop anyone else from buying their story.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Prester Jane posted:

For those who have read my Authoritarian thread, what we are witnessing w/r/t Finicum'a death are what I call "Outer Narrative's. Outer Narratives do not need to resemble reality in any way and they will shift and twist and contort and it will not give any Narrativists a moments pause. The truthfulness and accuracy of an Outer Narrative is irrelevant.

I suspect what they actually believe is something along the lines of: "He was a freedom fighter gently caress da po-lice 420 gov'ment took my baby."

With or without the 420.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

I suspect what they actually believe is something along the lines of: "He was a freedom fighter gently caress da po-lice 420 gov'ment took my baby."

With or without the 420.

With the 420 if the quartet of dolts we've been following all week is any indication.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Roblo posted:

Who said that, were those people on the compound with him? What do they mean by 'found at the refuge' as fair as I'm aware, the refuge still has not been secured by the FBI.

Sounds like another example of a few people who could not possibly know details making poo poo up to make him look better.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Speaking of "painful to read"

quote:

In all things, we have sought guidance, and desired to do God, our Father’s, will! We have studied the gospel of Jesus Christ, through his prophets, and try to understand the proper form of government, mostly the inspired US Constitution, the supreme law of the land. Desiring freedom, that all man might be able to exercise his agency.

The US Constitution lays out a very plain simple form of inspired government. We as a nation only need to follow it! Our founding fathers fought the battles for freedom and laid out the plan, the supreme law. We the People need to make beneficial use of it and defend it.

January 26, 2016, this week, LaVoy Finicum was assassinated by wicked and evil men representing our US government. These men in local, state, and US government feared the truths that LaVoy Finicum was standing for and teaching to his fellowmen. The truth about the supreme law of this land was more than these leaching bureaucrats could allow! The teaching of the true principles had to stop. Great fear needs to be put in the minds of We the People, great fear. (The work of the devil!) All is well. All is well in Zion. All is well in your government. There cannot be a cry go out for freedom, or for property rights, state sovereignty, local government closet to the people – government by the people – for the people. No, we cannot allow policing power be in the hands of We the People’s elected county Sheriff. We the great bureaucracies rule and have unlimited power over these lands. We feed our family, we buy our houses, our cars, and our offices are air-conditioned. We have guns, cars with lights, sirens, the best communication equipment, good health care and a lush guaranteed retirement plan! We have unlimited power. We can buy up everything and every man’s soul with their own money and with their 18 trillion dollar debt. We are prospering. We own the state government and their land. We buy and control their schools and their sheriff. We control the water in the river and under the earth. We control the airways, even the signals that pass around the world. We, the bureaucrat, are the supreme. We control, or at least we are about to control, the environment. We control all the endangered species of the creatures and plants. We control the elements in the earth and all the markets of the commodities of this earth. Yes, all is well in Zion!

Men like LaVoy Finicum, the Bundy brothers, those patriots and those who pray for freedom and liberty and support for people, such as women like Shawna Cox – they are all crazies! They are threatening our lifestyle, our unlimited and great authority, and our policing power. We are the majority. They are only a few producers, but with money and fear – we control the rest!

All of these great powers mentioned above, the US constitution does not give to the US government. In the 10th Amendment only a very few enumerated powers are given by the people to the federal government. All other powers and rights are reserved to the states respectively or to the people. (The Bill of Rights Article X)

With money and fear we will justify the assassination of LaVoy Finicum and make political prisoners of all that dare to lift their hand. (We can, we will kill.) This is our livelihood and we will protect our right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, so help me Devil!

The line is drawn between We the People. On one side, the bureaucrat, the hungry fat cat. On the other side, the producer and the protector that cares for and multiplies and replenishes the God given resources with his blood, sweat, and tears to protect and feed this land. The one who pours the milk in the fat cat’s bowl!

How did America get to this point? Is it because We the People want to take a lick or two out of the bowl? Is it because we the rancher, the livestock industry, accepted the Taylor Grazing Act as being constitutional? The livestock industry did accept the work of the federal government in mapping and adjudicating our preempted property rights that were created through beneficial use of the renewable resources, water and forage. The adjudicated lands are all within admitted states within the union of the United States. When we look at the large map of the United States we see that in the west the federal government claims over 50% ownership of the land. In a state, like Nevada, they claim over 90% ownership of the land. How can that be? Show me. Show me where it says in the constitution that the federal government can own mass areas of land? Only in Article 4, Section 3 of our constitution do We the People give congress unlimited power over land and congress had power to dispose of these lands. That’s exactly what they did when they admitted states to the union. The only other power that the constitution affords the government is Article 1 Section 8 Clause 17, here We the People give congress unlimited power to legislate over 10 miles square, which is Washington DC, and other property purchased with the consent of state legislature for military purposes and other needful buildings.

So again the question is, how can the bureaucrat have so much unlimited power within an admitted state? Who are the stewards of the land over this red area on the map? Isn’t the rancher the one with the adjudicated rights the steward of the land? We the ranchers are responsible for this great over reach of the federal government. We, the rancher, signed contracts with the federal government such a leases, permits and licenses. We, the rancher, signed contracts giving the US bureaucracies unlimited power to manage our stewardship and we pay them a grazing fee to do this. This contract between the individual and the US government puts both parties in the federal court system because one party or the other breaches something in the contract. In the federal court system the resource user NEVER wins. Remember a contract has been signed that says they have unlimited power. This contract takes the constitutional jurisdiction and authority away from your local sheriff, away from your county government, away from state government giving unlimited power to the federal bureaucrats – BLM, Forest Service, US Fish & Wildlife, Park Service, EPA and etc. This is what LaVoy Finicum, my sons, Shawna Cox, and other patriots were out in the western lands trying to teach. This is why they assassinated LaVoy Finicum.

Submitted by Cliven D. Bundy, Bunkerville, NV

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They really believe rancher is something more than a profession don't they?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"They assassinated Lavoy to stop me doing poo poo to your land!"

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's a popular conceit in the U.S.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpZ0TGjbWE

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

A man is dead and Cliven is just trying to use it to make himself sound better. loving dickhead.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Turtle Sandbox posted:

They really believe rancher is something more than a profession don't they?

Yep. They believe it's still like it was in the days of the Wild West. Or at least want it to go back to that.

A rancher to them seems to be akin to a mayor or regional leader/head of state. They control their land and have (or should have) final say on what goes on there. They command an army of Cowboys who are both the hardest working men ever (besides the rancher himself) and the toughest militia men you'll ever cross.

Nearest I can tell they see being a rancher as being akin to a business minded warlord. Just look at Finicum's book.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

The video isn't to convince the true believers, it's to stop anyone else from buying their story.

Yes, I gathered as much, but when the story changes, at what point do the police stop trying to outdo the true believers? Like I said, if they had bodycam footage with sound, and it turns out Finicum was only shot the once, then the story about the wound is no longer valid, so they'd have to change that and come up with something else. Or do the police figure the wounding theory is unbelievable enough that it'll never stand up to any real scrutiny, so at this point why bother?

I get that the aerial footage was important to outdo the "hands in the air, on his knees" story that first started bleeding through, but as soon as this was out, it was almost an instantaneous turn to invent a new reason why this happened.

Hasn't this guy been doing whatever the gently caress he wants on the land with zero effective consequences whatsoever? Wasn't that what the whole thing a couple of years ago was all about?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Leofish posted:

Yes, I gathered as much, but when the story changes, at what point do the police stop trying to outdo the true believers? Like I said, if they had bodycam footage with sound, and it turns out Finicum was only shot the once, then the story about the wound is no longer valid, so they'd have to change that and come up with something else. Or do the police figure the wounding theory is unbelievable enough that it'll never stand up to any real scrutiny, so at this point why bother?

I get that the aerial footage was important to outdo the "hands in the air, on his knees" story that first started bleeding through, but as soon as this was out, it was almost an instantaneous turn to invent a new reason why this happened.

Well, one key point in the process is when you demonstrate that "stories about Finnacum's death are invented". It becomes less necessary to refute new invented stories once you've shown that people are making stuff up to advance their own cause.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Leofish posted:

Yes, I gathered as much, but when the story changes, at what point do the police stop trying to outdo the true believers?

The police don't/shouldn't chase down and counter the story lines that the Liberty movement come up with. They gather the facts, figure out what happened and in what order, gather the supporting evidence of that, and put out their official story. After that they just point to that official account every time the Finicum story changes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

Hasn't this guy been doing whatever the gently caress he wants on the land with zero effective consequences whatsoever? Wasn't that what the whole thing a couple of years ago was all about?

Yup, now he wants some friend's freed from jail and more land that indians owned.
Oh, and the government replaced and executed.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Why are these chucklefucks crying about the "ambush"? What were they expecting, a showdown at high noon? For all the military fetishism going on, they know gently caress all about basic military/LEO tactics, ie. never fight fair if you don't have to.

As a Millennial I posted:

Speaking of "painful to read"

quote:

All is well. All is well in Zion. All is well in your government. There cannot be a cry go out for freedom, or for property rights, state sovereignty, local government closet to the people – government by the people – for the people. No, we cannot allow policing power be in the hands of We the People’s elected county Sheriff. We the great bureaucracies rule and have unlimited power over these lands. We feed our family, we buy our houses, our cars, and our offices are air-conditioned. We have guns, cars with lights, sirens, the best communication equipment, good health care and a lush guaranteed retirement plan! We have unlimited power. We can buy up everything and every man’s soul with their own money and with their 18 trillion dollar debt. We are prospering. We own the state government and their land. We buy and control their schools and their sheriff. We control the water in the river and under the earth. We control the airways, even the signals that pass around the world. We, the bureaucrat, are the supreme. We control, or at least we are about to control, the environment. We control all the endangered species of the creatures and plants. We control the elements in the earth and all the markets of the commodities of this earth. Yes, all is well in Zion!

This but unironically.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
New York TImes reporter spoke to David Fry. They are indeed camping outside in order to PROVE that they aren't actually occupying the refuge (because apparently only the buildings matter?) and therefore hey aren't actually hostile. Just camping.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
These militants are so retarded that people with Down's syndrome feel embarrassed by association.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Fionnoula posted:

New York TImes reporter spoke to David Fry. They are indeed camping outside in order to PROVE that they aren't actually occupying the refuge (because apparently only the buildings matter?) and therefore hey aren't actually hostile. Just camping.

If only Hitler said that, that he was just camping OUTSIDE of France and not actually occupying it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Murderion posted:

Why are these chucklefucks crying about the "ambush"? What were they expecting, a showdown at high noon? For all the military fetishism going on, they know gently caress all about basic military/LEO tactics, ie. never fight fair if you don't have to.

They're crying because the police didn't give them the big fight in which they valiantly triumph over the oppression of usurpers, bureaucrats, and traitors to their true way of life. Reality didn't match the fantasy they live by and they blame everyone else for it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crain posted:

Nearest I can tell they see being a rancher as being akin to a business minded warlord. Just look at Finicum's book.

Strip away the Outer Narratives (which do not need to conform to reality and only serve as window dressing) and he basically wants the exact same thing as an Ayn Rand worshipping captain of industry. They see themselves as being little gods with unlimited authority, able to Lord it over an underclass because of their inherent merit.

In my Narrativists framework I identify four clusters of Narativists, SovCit's belong to the "Paranoid Cluster" which includes Alex Jones/UFO nuts and the like. The other three clusters are the Economic Cluster (Libertarians, Objectivists, etc), Religious Cluster(Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, 7th Day Adventist s, various fundamentalist factions), and the Racist Cluster (KKK, Neo-Nazi's, etc).

If you ignore whatever asinine bullshit (Outer Narrative's) each of these clusters use to justify their actions and just look at what they try to incite whenever they get the chance you see the same,thing over and over. They all want to set up their own shadow government (justified because they have some inherent merit that makes them superior to the general population) with the ability to execute anyone that gets in their way. The SovCit Kangaroo court that they set up is no different than a Sharia court or any number of lynah mobs with the exception that a stable society minimizes the oppurtunity for them to act out their rulings.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Crain posted:

Yep. They believe it's still like it was in the days of the Wild West. Or at least want it to go back to that.

A rancher to them seems to be akin to a mayor or regional leader/head of state. They control their land and have (or should have) final say on what goes on there. They command an army of Cowboys who are both the hardest working men ever (besides the rancher himself) and the toughest militia men you'll ever cross.

In many ways they seem to be lost in time. The premise that all wealth is created from land and freeing it for exploitation will usher in a golden age in rural nowhere is about 50 years out of date.

• Locked thread