Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just abandoned my first foray into a veteran dungeon after I lost my favorite Hound Master. Rest in peace, Montgomery. :smith:

NOTE TO SELF: BLEED damage in the Weald and the Warrens, BLIGHT damage in the Ruins and the Cove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

UberJew posted:

He also regularly falls prey to the slow and insidious killer

he will spend a couple minutes saying 'there's no way i can do this, i have to retreat' and then drive on to hilarious hubris

I would never, ever do anything of the sort!

yes I would

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I keep trying the Occultist and almost squad wiping for it. So he heals for less than the Vestel and can bleed the people he heals and sometimes he just heals for nothing at all? Why do I keep seeing people talking about the Occultist being awesome? Was he awesome in some old rear end build and then nerfed to poo poo?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You must be having some bad luck or something because my cultists almost always heal for 12-13 at the least.

Plus he has a sick mark that lowers prot and can guarantee a safe camp for dirt cheap.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PostNouveau posted:

I keep trying the Occultist and almost squad wiping for it. So he heals for less than the Vestel and can bleed the people he heals and sometimes he just heals for nothing at all? Why do I keep seeing people talking about the Occultist being awesome? Was he awesome in some old rear end build and then nerfed to poo poo?

His heal ability is, like, #5 on the list of reasons he's awesome.

#1-#4 being his high crit, his damage bonus against Eldritch, his Mark synergy with a number of classes, and his very good camping skills.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
His heal on average heals more then the Vestals single target heal does(although it can bleed and can roll low, so it is riskier), besides that all the rest of his abilities are pretty useful, a pull, a mark, a decent damage to the 3rd and 4th row, etc. Also, abominations are kind of cool and if you want to use one and still have a healer you basically need to use an Occultist.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm a Vestal man myself, I like to know what to expect when I cast a spell and Wyrd Reconstruction healing for 0 is an eventuality I simply don't care for, but the Occultist is much more flexible comp-wise and packs a much better suite of debuffs than the Vestal does. Weakening Curse is a lifesaver against some of the big hitters that come later, Vulnerability Hex applying marks makes him a great choice for marking teams, Daemon's Pull can wreck enemy comps on occasion and when the dice line up for Wyrd Reconstruction heals, it REALLY heals. Abyssal Artillery and Sacrificial Stab are really solid in the Cove, too. Try being more proactive with your Occultist. Debuff the big damage dealers, use his offensive skills to whittle down enemy teams, basically make it so you don't have to rely on the heal so you can take a 0 heal or two in a row.

There's also the Abomination factor. Abominations are really good and literally can't be paired with Vestals so Occultist gets play by default based on that alone.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

So Total Biscuit did another WTF is for Darkest Dungeon for the actual release, and verbally it boils down to :fap: the video. Visually I want to reach in and choke the man because FOR FUCKS SAKE YOUR TEAM STILL WORKS IN ITS SHUFFLED POSITION JUST ROLL WITH THE HITS!

Seriously is everyone on youtube a taken a power drill to the brain? I keep thinking ya know, I'm alright at games, not that great. But every time one of these guys puts up a video I'm going "Am I really good or are they really bad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-spazTn-4U

Holy balls, his occultist has 3 diseases. I assume that's the most diseases a character can have, because it looks like the last disease replaced a previous one. 3 out of the 4 heroes he uses are diseased :psyduck:

PostNouveau posted:

I got 3 0 heals in a row once :v:

In addition to what everyone else has said, he's got a sweet candleskull. Candleskull!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Time_pants posted:

His heal ability is, like, #5 on the list of reasons he's awesome.

#1-#4 being his high crit, his damage bonus against Eldritch, his Mark synergy with a number of classes, and his very good camping skills.

#1 is actually his facial hair

also, lmao @ there being a thing of representing automated @craigslist_personals tweets (kind of @horse_ebooks-like) using darkest dungeon art

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

holy poo poo :laffo:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I know the personals are supposed to be the meat and potatoes of this post but this picture owns.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bad Seafood posted:

I know the personals are supposed to be the meat and potatoes of this post but this picture owns.

It's giving me this incredible urge to go reread the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i, erm

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Found my first secret room.

:stare:

I'm going to purge Dismas's Known Cheat quirk and put him in the gambling den all week, every week until he gambles away his own head.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
The Occultist's chance for 0 healing forced me out of 'Find 3 items' medium Veteran Cove run.

1-4, Highwayman/Abomination/Occultist/Man/w Dog

Occultist was the only source of healing for the Highwayman who did Not Enough Damage on dodgy fishfolk. Attrition and what felt like many 0's left him at about 50% health. What it came down to was entering a room with one of the items and Highwayman having to survive 3 death's door hits while Occultist gets Fearful and lets Hysterical -20 accuracy -disease ruin him. Turned tail only for Highwayman to turn virtuous.

The only runs I'd had that were worse were running away from Collectors as the first battle (has happened twice). At least I can spend 4k to remove all the disease and afflictions retreating brought.

PS game is fun and 25 is 75 heroes too few.

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 31, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Can't unsee the "Anarchy A" in the abominations' head.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Plan Z posted:

Can't unsee the "Anarchy A" in the abominations' head.

A is for abomination.

e: There's a comic at the bottom of this page that sort of shows him getting it:
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Abomination

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Did...did you just notice, guy? :psyduck:

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Hi I'm a giant are you trying to do this level 5 dungeon? Well here have a 60 damage crit on the first turn of the first fight lol :suicide:

Same, except he was the final encounter before the Hag

Confusion spores, treebranch crit for 60, treebranch crit for 60.. On my graverobber with 60 dodge

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just had a pretty good run (Highwayman, Grave Robber, Vestal, Plague Doctor) vs the (Level 1) Prophet. Went into the fight basically stress free and at full health (though that's to be expected, even with the Collector fight we ran into, they were all level 2 and fully upgraded).

Vestal nearly bought it to some falling rocks and being stunlocked for almost the entire fight, but the plague doctor's blight bombs pretty much single-handedly won the day, along with the odd lunge and duelist's advance. I did break one of his pews, but I wanted to keep him in the back (for blight purposes) so only the one.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

GlennFinito posted:

Same, except he was the final encounter before the Hag

Confusion spores, treebranch crit for 60, treebranch crit for 60.. On my graverobber with 60 dodge

Your first pinch in the cove and your first smackdown are there to teach you true fear.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

goldjas posted:

His heal on average heals more then the Vestals single target heal does(although it can bleed and can roll low, so it is riskier), besides that all the rest of his abilities are pretty useful, a pull, a mark, a decent damage to the 3rd and 4th row, etc. Also, abominations are kind of cool and if you want to use one and still have a healer you basically need to use an Occultist.
Lest we forget to mention it, Daemon's Pull also clears all corpses. Plus the Occultist is faster than the Vestal and has more Crit and Dodge at every gear rank; she has more HP, but it's not as much as you think. Not to say she's bad, but the Occultist is definitely good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the vestal can heal everyone at once and has a non-poo poo stun, of course

problem is her upgrade-heals trinket has a massive stun penalty. you can pair it with Junia's Head and spam 8hp group heals every round with a decent chance of critting and healing stress too, but of course, you don't get this...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
From a purely healing perspective, the Vestal is more consistent drastically better at stabilizing a dying party and dealing with spread DoTs and poo poo, but the Occultist is way better at dealing with enemy single target damage and way better at putting near death dudes back in fighting form without requiring a dozen turns of attempting to drag out a fight. The Occultist can take someone from Death's Door to full HP in a single lucky crit even with no healing trinkets.

That, coupled with Occultist's drastically superior versatility and offensive output and his willingness to work with Abominations means I generally prefer Big O to Vestals in most party makeups.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Just finished my first Darkest Dungeon run after spending an age trying to grind all the Ancestor trinkets and then giving up. The cheevo ain't worth it, the trinkets are all decent, but most are only occasionally useful. That, and all my grinding had given me a 20-strong roster of fully equipped level 6 heroes and a ton of cash, so I figured it was time.

First dungeon goes fine; having heard so many hints about the dangers of bleed effects, I decide to go gimmicky, hit up a jester + x3 Abomination party with +virtue trinkets up the wazoo and all the bandages one can buy. This turns out to have been a really great idea. I surf my way to the final boss, practically unscathed, with 2x virtue'd abominations. Jester almost goes down at the boss, but survives the few Death's Doors it takes for the abominations to finish tearing the boss to pieces (i.e. not that long). Downside: I now only have one other abomination on my roster and he's underleveled.

"Still, this is cakewalk!" I think, knowing full well that the worst has yet to come. Shopping in town does not ease those worries, for... sinister reasons.

The following Darker Dungeon I decide to go with the steadfast Occultist, Hound Master, Crusader, Leper party I favor for Warrens runs. The occultist performs abysmally, and I lose the hound master to the first miniboss room I find (the worst one, seems), and the leper due to having to retreat. I become unnerved and despondent, as much from this as from the... subtle changes in architecture.

"Well, this is painful and bad. Time for the big guns," I say, plonking down the Arbalest, Vestal, Hellion, Hellion party I'd planned to use for the third run, and overstocking on all necessary consumables. With a little care, and a lot of murder/judicious use of consumables and camping skills, this also goes very well. Fun fact! You can find an Ancestor trinket in this dungeon. I still had, like, three left to get, alas, so this made no difference for the cheevo.

So the question on my mind, looking at the third foray into the Darker Still Dungeon is, of course, "What horrors await next?" Having little to no idea what to expect in this run, I bring a Man At Arms, Hound Master, Highwayman, Highwayman combo, thinking I can use the Guard actions to protect my main damage dealers with dodge tomfoolery. I encounter... difficulties with this approach, and although it kind of works, I understocked on necessary consumables. Having little healing other than campfire skills is also a problem. Nevertheless, thanks to the abundance of firewood this mission gives you, I somehow manage to stumble upon and almost kill the boss (emphasis due to utter frustration), before losing, to inevitable circumstance, the man at arms and a highwayman. Forced to retreat, the hound master covers my highwayman's escape, so that at least most of my trinkets are recoverable (turns out you lose the trinkets of whoever covers for the others, though, which wasn't too bad, since I had no more hound masters).

For my second try, I decide to go with party that has actual healing, picking Occultist, Plague Doctor, Grave Robber and Bounty Hunter, and make sure my packs are fully loaded with food and the appropriate consumables. Although frustrated by enemy trash spawn composition, and low on consumables, this is a good party for the minibosses and actual boss, the bounty hunter being a complete wrecking ball against them while marked, the occultist doing fair damage and healing and the plague doc and grave robber helping with stuns that delay their more dangerous abilities. The true victory was in getting there, though, and fortune be, no-one dies, although at points things looked dicey.

So, I come to it at last. The final mission. My roster looks as haggard and anemic as I feel. At this point, paranoid to the extreme, I throw in a party of 0-level adventurers, just to check what's there (and get the cheevo, just for the hell of it). They... die. Armed with prescient knowledge, I decide that I can probably do it with the few legend 6 heroes I've got left; the Occultist, Highwayman and Crusader, failures of the previous runs, as well as my last Leper. Stocking up on consumables is now mandatory, so I do. The boss greets me with a lengthy, drawn-out affair in his first form. The Leper, stacked with +dmg/acc stress-increasing trinkets, quickly disproves everything bad ever said about his kind by spitting in the face of terror and futility, becoming Powerful. My occultist and highwayman try their hardest, but succumb to afflictions and worse in the initial stages of the fight, dying like the worthless scabs they'd ended up being in the previous missions. The Crusader redeems himself by not only not getting afflicted, but by refusing to have his resolve even tested; Martyr's Seal affixed, Holy Orders writ upon his creed.

Fitzhugh and Neufmarche, then, more unkillable than the horror itself, simply chop and smite their way to victory. It seems if I could have sent them in alone, they'd have won that battle still, noble in deed and heart to the last, fearing neither death nor failure. The dark creature defeated, they bring back word to the Scion, who takes the appropriate measures detailed in the ending, his mission of familial redemption at an end.

I have to say, it was incredibly satisfying to bring this bloody, brutal affair to a close. Now I have to ask; does anyone know if there are any special differences between this run and a NG+ run? I hope there is. I hope there are some alternate features and maybe a twist ending somewhere in there, because I'm not sure I'd survive going through another 40-50-ish hours of similar-but-harder gameplay with a risk of getting game over'd if the RNG screws me enough, for nothing but another cheevo. I know there's one particular difference, that being the one encountered in the very first mission with Reynauld and Dismas The ghost whom I presume is the last Scion in no uncertain terms showing you that you'd better GTFO and scares the living poo poo out of anyone attempting to converse with him. Reynauld, amusingly, promptly Virtue'd off of it..

As a side note; I did try to take care of my heroes and not take too many risks, but in the end I'd still lost something like 24 of the sorry souls to the ravages of bosses, bad luck, worse decisions and the Darkest Dungeon itself, which doesn't bode well for a NG+ run.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

Your first pinch in the cove and your first smackdown are there to teach you true fear.

This is my third try on getting to the hag

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I found that uh...

I found something called Disma's Head.

Disma...he died...

so who collected his head...?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
theres a floating zombie in a blue coat called the accumulator. he did it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

disma and reynau, the two slack-jawed mercenaries who accompany you to the hamlet

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Dismas: "I think I will keep this as a souvenir. Not many people get to reclaim their heads after they've lost them."

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Derpest Dungeon

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mother of christ i'm fighting the swine god and Wilbur just squealed Reynauld to death on the first try

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Haha gently caress you Reynauld you stole some good poo poo earlier this run but you've just tried 3 locked display cabinets and been blighted each time, serves you right.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

Haha gently caress you Reynauld you stole some good poo poo earlier this run but you've just tried 3 locked display cabinets and been blighted each time, serves you right.

Occultist: I have not had much wealth, but today is MY DAY. It is MY TIME. Whatever is in that locked display cabinet is completely awesome and I will open it!

Occultist: IT WAS BLIGHT! Just like the other three cabinets in this dungeon!

Occultist: It's MY blight. Don't want any of you STEALING this from me.

I just love when they go on tirades before they loot things from items that are 100% going to gently caress them up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

level 0 vestals do not do well in Champion weald runs

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

level 0 vestals do not do well in Champion weald runs

game is bad, red hooked do not know how to balance

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
tbf, it does kinda suck when you lose one or two vital party members, and have to level up new ones when the rest of the roster is level 5+.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

really it's just that it's the first Short dungeon that i've seen in like ten weeks so i thought i'd chance it

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I thought Occultists were way better than Vestals until champion level dungeons, when it swings back the other way hard. When enemies have way higher accuracy and can start 1-2 hitting your squishy heroes you need reliable healing. The accuracy bonus to enemies is actually the bigger culprit than the damage-- When the enemies always hit, your healer ends just healing 90% of the time, and the Vestal is way better at that than the Occultist.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

I thought Occultists were way better than Vestals until champion level dungeons, when it swings back the other way hard. When enemies have way higher accuracy and can start 1-2 hitting your squishy heroes you need reliable healing. The accuracy bonus to enemies is actually the bigger culprit than the damage-- When the enemies always hit, your healer ends just healing 90% of the time, and the Vestal is way better at that than the Occultist.

I have found that, as I transition to Veteran level dungeons, having more healing abilities than one really good healer is pretty important. In level 1 dungeons, having one occultist or one vestal was basically all I needed, now I need one, and for at least one other person to have a small heal. Fortunatly, the game is set up this way. I also find that the Crusader's targeted stress heal is really really good. And Man-at-Arms, which seem unnecessary in the earlier dungeons, is really good now too.