Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The whole reason the Mario vs. Sonic games are Olympic games is because it was the only context they could think of that would let them appear in the same game without having to laboriously fight over who's going to make the game, what it's going to be like, how they'll be depicted, etc, plus they didn't have to worry about fans of either series complaining it wasn't enough like either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sticker Star wasn't even that bad. I didn't really like it, but I thought it was an okay game on its own merits. And yet people treat it like some sort of abomination.

It was quite boring, and if you can manage to make an adventure in the Mushroom Kingdom boring, you've made some major life mistakes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinking about it Sticker Star would of been fantastic if it cut fights out all together and was just a point and click type thing. Like as a spinoff I think I'd be more fine with that then anything.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

In Sticker Star somehow I missed the idea of using the big stickers for boss fights, so I remember beating the first boss legit and it was ridiculously hard and then afterwards the fairy thing called me a stupid motherfucker and that cut me pretty deep after everything I had just been through.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thinking about it Sticker Star would of been fantastic if it cut fights out all together and was just a point and click type thing. Like as a spinoff I think I'd be more fine with that then anything.

This would have been great because everything that wasn't a battle was alright. Battles were pointless as poo poo and the bosses were the only fights that resembled fun.

Also the game has action commands but for some reason they decided to be cryptic about them. This wouldn't be that bad except Things and items have action commands too, which I'm pretty sure the game does not tell you for a while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Tingle game for DS was made by many of the same people behind Sticker Star and has a similar "RPG but not really" setup and I really hope it gets re-released on VC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The whole reason the Mario vs. Sonic games are Olympic games is because it was the only context they could think of that would let them appear in the same game without having to laboriously fight over who's going to make the game, what it's going to be like, how they'll be depicted, etc, plus they didn't have to worry about fans of either series complaining it wasn't enough like either one.

Similarly, #FE came about partially because Atlus believed it'd be better to stick to their strengths as an RPG dev than make a straight crossover. It still didn't work out and it doesn't explain the concept they settled on, but their initial mindset makes sense.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I really wanted to like Sticker Star.

The problem with the game for me is that the boss fights attempted to be puzzles, while at the same time greatly punishing experimentation. Limited inventory space, 1 use per item, and an annoying waste of time to get it back afterwards translated into the boss fights feeling obnoxious and annoying rather than interesting.

I would happily play more sticker star-like games if they let you permanently keep all the stickers, balanced by making the big stickers less powerful and putting some sort of cooldown on them. Then collecting stickers would have felt more permanent, and players could approach boss fights thinking 'Ooh! I can't wait to see which stickers do what this time!' rather than 'Ugh, what levels do I need to backtrack to in order to clear this roadblock?'

To be fair, the game did a great job of balancing the rate you consumed stickers when clearing normal levels. It just felt like the bosses were designed without an understanding that ordinary play encouraged players to be constantly cycling through their items rather than hoarding unusual objects. The odds of having the 1-3 big stickers you needed without looking it up beforehand was... low.

Yeah, I like the idea of a mario point-and-click adventure game using stickers as puzzle solutions. It feels like that's what they were fumbling towards on some level.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Skeezy posted:

I still can't do the hard mode toad herding mission. It's so loving stupid, I hate Toad so much.

Edit. I don't hate Toad. I just hate herding the toad cattle.

I think after the second Toad herding mini-game, I said to myself, yeah I'm not even going to bother with the hard mode Paper Toad missions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just in case anyone was still unsure about the nature of Medabots Girls Mission, they just announced a new finisher system that lets you explode the clothes off the rival trainer girls: http://www.medarotsha.jp/medagm/system/finisher.php

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just in case anyone was still unsure about the nature of Medabots Girls Mission, they just announced a new finisher system that lets you explode the clothes off the rival trainer girls: http://www.medarotsha.jp/medagm/system/finisher.php

lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

In Sticker Star somehow I missed the idea of using the big stickers for boss fights, so I remember beating the first boss legit and it was ridiculously hard and then afterwards the fairy thing called me a stupid motherfucker and that cut me pretty deep after everything I had just been through.

The flags blowing in the wind and the fact that the boss was made up of smaller enemies were clues on to bring the fan or the scissors.

xedo posted:

I really wanted to like Sticker Star.

The problem with the game for me is that the boss fights attempted to be puzzles, while at the same time greatly punishing experimentation. Limited inventory space, 1 use per item, and an annoying waste of time to get it back afterwards translated into the boss fights feeling obnoxious and annoying rather than interesting.

I would happily play more sticker star-like games if they let you permanently keep all the stickers, balanced by making the big stickers less powerful and putting some sort of cooldown on them. Then collecting stickers would have felt more permanent, and players could approach boss fights thinking 'Ooh! I can't wait to see which stickers do what this time!' rather than 'Ugh, what levels do I need to backtrack to in order to clear this roadblock?'

To be fair, the game did a great job of balancing the rate you consumed stickers when clearing normal levels. It just felt like the bosses were designed without an understanding that ordinary play encouraged players to be constantly cycling through their items rather than hoarding unusual objects. The odds of having the 1-3 big stickers you needed without looking it up beforehand was... low.

Yeah, I like the idea of a mario point-and-click adventure game using stickers as puzzle solutions. It feels like that's what they were fumbling towards on some level.

All the bosses (except the 5th one, which wasn't even a puzzle) had clues on what you needed to beat them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, that would have been great. The battles were easily the weakest part of the game. Bosses were pretty much another puzzle anyway.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 1, 2016

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i played ttyd after sticker star and it really put everything into perspective

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I would say I ultimately liked Paper Jam as much as Superstar Saga. It's hard to compare the two because the effort was clearly focused in different areas. That said, the really good combat (including the card battle stuff) went a long way towards me enjoying it.

And yeah, the characters aren't anything new but they do a lot with the existing ones. The koopalings got a ton of screen time and were absolutely amazing in every scene.

Bowser's Inside Story still takes it though, you really can't beat loving poo poo up as Bowser.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

whoa this isn't the vita

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

voltcatfish posted:

whoa this isn't the vita

how soon we forget

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm glad Digimon hasn't had to resort to these types of tactics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It kind of has. Not to that extent, but the character designer for the new ones is the Devil Survivor guy.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 1, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Motto posted:

It kind of has. Not to that extent, but the character designer for the new ones is the Devil Survivor guy.

Yeah it definitely has.

Also doubles as a friendly reminder that season 1 just got an X years later movie after 20 years.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Just in case anyone was still unsure about the nature of Medabots Girls Mission, they just announced a new finisher system that lets you explode the clothes off the rival trainer girls

of course

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks, God.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah it definitely has.

Also doubles as a friendly reminder that season 1 just got an X years later movie after 20 years.

Wow I need to watch this for nostalgia purposes. And to see if Matt ever married Mimi.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
sometimes i wonder if i would jack off to anime characters if i were an anime or if i would jack off to real humans because of the possibilities to be had

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JackDarko posted:

Wow I need to watch this for nostalgia purposes. And to see if Matt ever married Mimi.

Matt married Sora, I'm sorry

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So one played the hell out of that demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSkUTWZyeA

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah it definitely has.

can confirm, baking in a swimsuit does make it taste better

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Motto posted:

That can't be, these girls look almost nothing alike.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is the digimon game good at least?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

noirstronaut posted:

sometimes i wonder if i would jack off to anime characters if i were an anime or if i would jack off to real humans because of the possibilities to be had

Some people jack off to anime because they have no possibilities with real humans.

Also, we Senran Kagura now! :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, I hope it gets a western release

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Anyone using the Badge Arcade in the Euro regions who hasn't yet should try today's practice machine. It's pretty much as generous a practice board as it can be with the chance to get 15 wooden badges each try.
Yeah I got 8 free plays from it or something crazy like that. It's probably the first practice board where I've actually gone and played the real one afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Y'know, that seems really dumb (beyond the obvious reasons) for a game/sport that involves fighting on the street. Well poo poo, your medabot lost bad and now you better drat-well hope you had a change of clothes stashed in your bag or it's an embarrassing trip home in your underwear due to a children's robot battle.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Monster Hunter is a million-seller outside of Japan nowadays; there's no way they won't bring MHX over and they have to do it this year, what with 3DS on the way out and all.

I'm curious to see if they'll bring over Monster Hunter Stories, the JRPG/anime tie-in game. That one looks really fun and a lot more accessible than MH proper so it'd probably sell well if they did.

Even if the NX comes out this year, and even if it outright replaces the 3DS (We don't know that either of these things are true.), games don't just stop coming out for a system as soon as the new one comes out. There's usually at least a few months when the older system still gets games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Silver Falcon posted:

Even if the NX comes out this year, and even if it outright replaces the 3DS (We don't know that either of these things are true.), games don't just stop coming out for a system as soon as the new one comes out. There's usually at least a few months when the older system still gets games.

The Xbox/Ps3 still gets games, and Persona 4 came out on the PS2 which was about 2 years into the PS3/Xbox 360 era.

gently caress, a sega genesis game came out like a couple years ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

The Xbox/Ps3 still gets games, and Persona 4 came out on the PS2 which was about 2 years into the PS3/Xbox 360 era.

The 360 and PS3 are only still getting middleware-engine games rather than any actual new exclusive games (save for maybe a few niche Japanese titles), and Persona 4 was in-development for about 2 years so it would've started right on the tail-end of the PS2's mainstream lifespan. A high-quality 50+-hour JRPG doesn't just materialize into existence on its release date or the day it's first revealed/announced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Pro Evo Soccer 2014 came out for the PS2 in 2013 too, as did Fifa 14.
Maybe a FFXI expansion pack too at a similar time? Either way, it still got a handful of outliers even into this decade.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Games like Dragon Quest Heroes and Tales of Zestiera were PS3 exclusive until they were forced by publishers to make a PS4 version for better localization purposes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pro Evo Soccer 2014 came out for the PS2 in 2013 too, as did Fifa 14.
Maybe a FFXI expansion pack too at a similar time? Either way, it still got a handful of outliers even into this decade.

Were they actual new soccer games, or just someone copy-pasting that year's team member names in though? If FFXI still had a decent PS2-connected population at the time, the expansion's not really weird either. They're still not really "new" games, so much as shambling zombies of old ones lingering on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm glad the image in the medabot post is loading now because it wasnt yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

i'm glad the image in the medabot post is loading now because it wasnt yesterday

I still don't see it

why would you give me false hope like that?