Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lets get back to talking about how Roadbeer is a huge dumbass lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have no idea what possessed me to read 5,000 posts worth of this thread but welp, here I am.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Will there ever be a promised-game like this again, that brings so many weirdos into its orbit and gives us a view into the minds of people who never quite got past their tweens?

It's not even in the same astronomical unit as Star Citizen, but some years back Ryan Dancey, a guy whose claim to fame is getting hired by game companies for his amazing ideas and then leaving/getting shitcanned when his ideas turn out to be bad, raised some 1.3 million dollars in total to create Pathfinder Online, an MMO based on a tabletop roleplaying game which itself is a serial-numbers-filed-off copy of another tabletop roleplaying game. I bring this up because Pathfinder Online, if you go back and look at all the hype surrounding it before most people more or less stopped caring, is like Star Citizen in microcosm. Dancey ran a million dollar Kickstarter full of stretch goals to give backers promises of exclusive gameplay bonuses and swag which, of course, haven't materialized since there's barely a game to be had by this point...like Star Citizen, it languishes in a sort of "pre-Alpha" state. Some people payed thousands of dollars to own virtual property in this hot new upcoming MMO. And of course not only did Dancey promise all the faithful backers that PFO would be an amazing player-driven sandbox experience without any non-consensual griefing thanks to his staunch anti-goon policies (not exaggerating, Dancey was briefly employed by CCP and has Strong Opinions about goons in games), but those same faithful backers spun whole reams of crazy bullshit "features" that they wanted/expected to be included in this new game. Can I be a stableboy? What about a tavern keeper, I want to serve adventurers drinks when they aren't off actually doing quests and otherwise actually playing the game. You know what would be great, is if when my 20th level wizard casts Time Stop that it literally freezes time for everyone on that server until the spell expires, can you do that?

Last September, most of the MMO company's staff was laid off while Ryan Dancey quit two weeks prior for "unrelated personal reasons," having successfully wasted over a million nerd-dollars to accomplish gently caress-all.

So to answer your question, I don't think there's ever going to be any shortage of people who get so wrapped up in their unrealistic and dumb ideas of the promised MMO that will be so amazing and immersive that it whisks them out of their mundane lives ala Captain N that they're willing to pitch thousands of dollars at a snake-oil salesman willing to tell them that the next great advance in procedural PVP slider technology is just around the corner and for an extra $250 theirs can have racing stripes on it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6314537/#Comment_6314537

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kai Tave posted:

Dancey ran a million dollar Kickstarter full of stretch goals to give backers promises of exclusive gameplay bonuses and swag which, of course, haven't materialized since there's barely a game to be had by this point...like Star Citizen, it languishes in a sort of "pre-Alpha" state. Some people payed thousands of dollars to own virtual property in this hot new upcoming MMO. And of course not only did Dancey promise all the faithful backers that PFO would be an amazing player-driven sandbox experience without any non-consensual griefing thanks to his staunch anti-goon policies (not exaggerating, Dancey was briefly employed by CCP and has Strong Opinions about goons in games), but those same faithful backers spun whole reams of crazy bullshit "features" that they wanted/expected to be included in this new game.

Hey, I remember him. He was Chief Marketing Officer or something during the ambulation/WiS/incarna development period. Funny that… especially considering how it, too, only ever produced a dodgy tech demo without gameplay after having been iterated on five times over and having all the work that went into a very respectable vertical slice be thrown out.

I can't really remember anything he said about goons, though, but that's probably because at the time, I didn't really pay attention to what anybody said about them (least of all him).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A Neurotic Jew posted:

lets get back to talking about how Roadbeer is a huge dumbass lmao.
Anything in particular stand out?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Madcosby posted:

holy poo poo this guy had a bad experience with pvp growing up

it's like when you drive by your old childhood home, and then one day you get the nerve and walk up and knock on the door. and the new owners open up and invite you in, but there's 5 gankers hiding behind the front entrance, next thing you know youre trapped inside the closet while they're ordering pizza with your stolen credit card. suddenly gas starts filling the closet, but it's actually a vaccuum cleaner turned to reverse, and the closet is all dusty and you feel like you have allergies

Allergies that get 4x times worse every second, then spread to your genitals?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So a dude named Kyle Bromley, an Illfonic employee, posted this a few hours ago:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0EaVG

Sure looks nice!

This does look pretty neat. Thank goodness it's already in the game, right?...Right?...

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I skipped like 1800 posts, but that second to last paragraph made me realize what's really going on with some citizens. It's geek social fallacies all the way down.

"CIG are my friends, but if I criticize them then our friendship will end"

This loving thread.

"Geek social fallacies" I loving hate you for bringing that poo poo up, and I hate myself for knowing what you're talking about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

Hey, I remember him. He was Chief Marketing Officer or something during the ambulation/WiS/incarna development period. Funny that… especially considering how it, too, only ever produced a dodgy tech demo without gameplay after having been iterated on five times over and having all the work that went into a very respectable vertical slice be thrown out.

I can't really remember anything he said about goons, though, but that's probably because at the time, I didn't really pay attention to what anybody said about them (least of all him).

Ryan Dancey is the person responsible for convincing Wizards of the Coast that making Dungeons & Dragons "open source" would be a great decision that would assuredly lead to them replacing all other RPGs forever with the d20 system. Instead of caused the nerdgame equivalent of a housing bubble crash and led to Paizo being able to wholesale file the serial numbers off of the third edition of D&D and resell it as their own game, becoming D&D's number one competitor. In the Kickstarter for PFO (one of them, because there were two Kickstarters, both successful, one for a "proof of concept" and the other to fund a "tech demo" meant to solicit even further investment) he was billed as the "Steve Jobs of MMO marketing," a title which seems self-applied since I can't actually find any evidence of anyone saying that about him ever.

I can't find the direct quotes at the moment but someone asked Dancey about griefing in PFO and what would be done to keep the horrible goonswarms from disrupting everyone's rich and immersive roleplaying experience. His answer was essentially "through community action and self-policing, but also heavy-handed and arbitrary moderation." A little something for everyone really.

Here's an SA thread all about PFO for those who want to read more. The consensus is that the ultimate way to grief PFO players is to simply let them play PFO.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Bootcha posted:

This will be the most direct thing I will have said.

You know that old adage about "act with what you know"? Those words, used by Sandi in that recorded talent tape, were used on someone within CS dead in front of the Santa Monica HR person. The CS person was not fired that day. The CS person left.

Chelsea did come from a hospitality background. Sandi could learn something from the hospitality industry.

Like work ethic, and teamwork, and responsibility, and service...

And humility.

:catstare:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So a dude named Kyle Bromley, an Illfonic employee, posted this a few hours ago:

Sure looks nice!

Clearly not crobber's dream...

Not the right kind of fidelity we're looking for. Maybe move the pipes to a vertical position, and recolor them. Yeah they need to be way different colors, and shapes as well. Also maybe the lighting...yes, it has to be different. I think it would give it a much more civilized look if there were maybe some potted plants and Persian carpets around, yeah? A little bit more lived in, like somebody just had a party in there. Do that, but the contract is up so, we're not paying you and you have to do it for free or we're pulling the plug immediately. Also it has to work with this bootstrapper I wrote when I was 25.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Madcosby posted:

whats the addon you guys use to take screenshots of forum dialog? I'm on firefox... and print-screen doesnt help due to dual monitors

I like Greenshot. It even autouploads to a variety of image hosts for you. And I am dualheaded too and it works.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BeefThief posted:

Clearly not crobber's dream...

Not the right kind of fidelity we're looking for. Maybe move the pipes to a vertical position, and recolor them. Yeah they need to be way different colors, and shapes as well. Also maybe the lighting...yes, it has to be different. I think it would give it a much more civilized look if there were maybe some potted plants and Persian carpets around, yeah? A little bit more lived in, like somebody just had a party in there. Do that, but the contract is up so, we're not paying you and you have to do it for free or we're pulling the plug immediately. Also it has to work with this bootstrapper I wrote when I was 25.

Nah. If anything, there's too many colours. Look at all that red and blue glow; the subtle rust and flaking paint; in short, the lack of a uniform space-future grey. And look at all the stuff cluttered everywhere. What kind of lived-in feel does that give, as if it hasn't been cleaned and polished one an hour on the hour?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Samizdata posted:

I like Greenshot. It even autouploads to a variety of image hosts for you. And I am dualheaded too and it works.

See? And it even uses PNG instead of JPG.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Tippis posted:

Nah. If anything, there's too many colours. Look at all that red and blue glow; the subtle rust and flaking paint; in short, the lack of a uniform space-future grey. And look at all the stuff cluttered everywhere. What kind of lived-in feel does that give, as if it hasn't been cleaned and polished one an hour on the hour?

This is probably exactly what croberts said before pulling the plug on his latest $25m mistake.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Sure looks nice!

So wait is this in the PU? Is this what Roberts was talking about in his comments? Looks pretty good.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

So wait is this in the PU? Is this what Roberts was talking about in his comments? Looks pretty good.

That map has more content in it than the entirety of what "Star Citizen" is now. Amusing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fuctifino posted:

This ^

She's also an exposed liar with a virtually non-existent history. The fact she is a woman is irrelevant.

Chris has a history in making video games and movies, albeit a very chequered one. Ben has dedicated his life to Chris since a teen. Sandi only got her position because she was married to Chris... and even that marriage was kept secret at first.

She has no checkable experience, and she's lied about her qualifications. She's bulldozed her way into an actress role in SQ42, and she's left a lot of questions unanswered... and her lies and half-truths to date have just created more questions.

She gets a lot of attention because of her actions, not because of her gender.

e: I agree with the not being creepy stuff btw

Plus she wants all the benefits of fame (adoration, money, etc) and none of the downsides (lack of privacy, critics, having to work to maintain fame).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It will be there... eventually...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thanks for the pathfinder online stuff, thats all super super fascinating. i play pathfinder with a regular group of dnd palz and its sordid history is really interesting. as much as we all love DnD we like having one consistent format for roleplaying, and 3.5 was our fave version of it so yeah.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Goobs posted:

I can't stop looking at CR's chins.

e: also lol at sandi's in and out again accent that seems to go away then come back randomly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one laughing at how the australian just fades in and out there.

I can't believe how excited I am for Star Citizen!

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello friends does anybody have a link to the old Star Citizen v1 thread?

Also how did you find it? Its not in my post history and google is full of GBS.

Yes I have archives.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

The Meat Dimension posted:

Hello friends does anybody have a link to the old Star Citizen v1 thread?

Also how did you find it? Its not in my post history and google is full of GBS.

Yes I have archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337

Dis wan?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Nah back when the kickstarter was a thing.

e: but thanks.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

This loving thread.

"Geek social fallacies" I loving hate you for bringing that poo poo up, and I hate myself for knowing what you're talking about.

Hey dude it seems like you're not having as much fun as the rest of us do you want to talk about it?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So, how are they going to handle reviews and media when this thing "launches"? Assuming they manage to get SQ42 (episode 1, part 1, prelude) out the door before they completely implode...what's their plan? Gaming sites are already getting more and more comfortable sniping at CRI and their endless delays and buggy demos- so what are they going to say when they finally get their hands on a mediocre-to-broken space flight sim with ugly graphics and a terrible story? And are CRI going to try to pay for good reviews, or just burn all the game reviewers as part of the system that just wants them to fail, all pawns of Derek Smart?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

So, how are they going to handle reviews and media when this thing "launches"? Assuming they manage to get SQ42 (episode 1, part 1, prelude) out the door before they completely implode...what's their plan? Gaming sites are already getting more and more comfortable sniping at CRI and their endless delays and buggy demos- so what are they going to say when they finally get their hands on a mediocre-to-broken space flight sim with ugly graphics and a terrible story? And are CRI going to try to pay for good reviews, or just burn all the game reviewers as part of the system that just wants them to fail, all pawns of Derek Smart?

:lol: that you think SQ42 will have a flight sim. It's gonna be all walking and cutscenes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 2, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The logical choice would be to do both. After all, they're the best-(crowd)funded game ever and has the best businesswoman in the world at the helm of public relations. They have money and media outlets to burn.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Looking at the OP of the last thread linked a second ago...is there still not even a jpeg for the Javelin?

How can anyone possibly justify spending $2500 on any virtual asset, let alone the "idea" of a ship in a game that doesn't exist. Especially now that they've released the baby PU...who's gonna wanna play this poo poo game? Woah.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

alf_pogs posted:

thanks for the pathfinder online stuff, thats all super super fascinating. i play pathfinder with a regular group of dnd palz and its sordid history is really interesting. as much as we all love DnD we like having one consistent format for roleplaying, and 3.5 was our fave version of it so yeah.

I can't at all fault Paizo for taking advantage of Wizards of the Coast essentially leaving their lunch out there to be eaten, nobody did anything shady or illegal or scammy there, WotC should have had someone to explain to them "this is what might happen if you make your big name RPG open-source" but, well, that person was Ryan Dancey.

Pathfinder Online looked scammy as gently caress from the outset though, and the ways it parallels Star Citizen are uncanny, from the whales dropping four figures on a jpeg of a tavern (with LTI no less!) to the sheer incompetence on display (hey players, be aware there's a bug that could cause you to lose the expensive poo poo you prepurchased if you do certain things, we don't know what causes it though) to the endless stream of empty promises designed to make people fantasize about a game that in no way resembled what was actually delivered (basically an empty Everquest-esque protoMMO with no real content). And like clockwork Ryan Dancey is nowhere to be found when things fall apart, no doubt preparing for his next great venture as a professional ideas guy to people too stupid to know not to trust someone who used to read co-workers' private e-mails.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

G0RF posted:

Say what, Alt_Pogs?

(I deleted a lot of :words: here just to avoid going all Derek Smarty... Fact!)

I'm sorry but there is no making sense of this "phenomenally interesting catastrophe" without venturing into discussion about the personalities of its leaders.

Reasonable, honest, ethical people do not build businesses that operate as CIG has operated. If the moral turpitude of leadership is "off the table" for discussion, then we (like their hapless, naive, ever hopeful believers) will have little means to make sense of how we got here, and where we are going.

For my part, I will continue to avoid and discourage Sandi discussions which strike me as unfair, inappropriate, or otherwise out of bounds. I will occasionally even defend Sandi or say a kind word (it's rare but it does happen).

But personality - for Chris, Sandi, Ben and other key players - is very much on the table. It has to be. We all already know the answers to the Who? What? Where? When? questions of Star Citizen. But there is no making sense of the How? and especially Why? questions without discussing the personality traits of leadership. There can't be.

Not to mention the face that you are not allowed, in my opinion, to say "Look at me! LOOK AT ME! Okay, stop looking now. LOOK AT ME!" like she seems to do with every opportunity. You want attention, you get attention. As long as no one is hacking her iCloud or whatever, and the info is publically available, I say "Have at them!"

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

Wow, Ben really has put on like 50 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPm1w4OyLw

wow..his arms are normal there

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

spacetoaster posted:

Wow, Ben really has put on like 50 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPm1w4OyLw

I don't keep track of this sort of nonsense but I believe that's the first time I've seen him without that pilgrim's cross thing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

G0RF posted:

Say what, Alt_Pogs?

(I deleted a lot of :words: here just to avoid going all Derek Smarty... Fact!)

I'm sorry but there is no making sense of this "phenomenally interesting catastrophe" without venturing into discussion about the personalities of its leaders.

Reasonable, honest, ethical people do not build businesses that operate as CIG has operated. If the moral turpitude of leadership is "off the table" for discussion, then we (like their hapless, naive, ever hopeful believers) will have little means to make sense of how we got here, and where we are going.

For my part, I will continue to avoid and discourage Sandi discussions which strike me as unfair, inappropriate, or otherwise out of bounds. I will occasionally even defend Sandi or say a kind word (it's rare but it does happen).

But personality - for Chris, Sandi, Ben and other key players - is very much on the table. It has to be. We all already know the answers to the Who? What? Where? When? questions of Star Citizen. But there is no making sense of the How? and especially Why? questions without discussing the personality traits of leadership. There can't be.

sure; i worded what i meant badly and quickly. speculating about sandi being a bitch because chris roberts is abusive to her felt like a stretch into weird territory to me.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

:lol: that you think SQ42 will have a flight sim. It's gonna be all walking and cutscenes.

the 'game' portions will just be walking from cutscene to cutscene

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BeefThief posted:

Looking at the OP of the last thread linked a second ago...is there still not even a jpeg for the Javelin?

How can anyone possibly justify spending $2500 on any virtual asset, let alone the "idea" of a ship in a game that doesn't exist. Especially now that they've released the baby PU...who's gonna wanna play this poo poo game? Woah.

Enough turrets for your wife, children, and nephews to man.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Goobs posted:

I can't stop looking at CR's chins.

e: also lol at sandi's in and out again accent that seems to go away then come back randomly.

I listened to all this stuff and she does so many different accents...

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

trucutru posted:

Enough turrets for your wife, children, and nephews to man.

Or your willing servants from the Fourth Stimpire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Sure looks nice!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but if he just recently posted that, doesn't that mean he and/or Illfonic still retain the rights to those assets? Unless there's some weird rider in the NDA, I don't know much about the art side of professional contracts.

• Locked thread