Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

am i to understand that there are people in this very thread over the age of 25 that are still building pcs instead of just going out and buying what they need like a loving adult making 6 figgies?

Yeah lets buy a PC like this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/4494400.p?id=1219754435687&skuId=4494400

And have it break down due to shoddy parts and cooling

Also, :laugh: as ASUS for making a worse.alienware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fourteen hundred and ninety nine US dollars and not even an SSD

Shameful

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theultimo posted:

Yeah lets buy a PC like this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/4494400.p?id=1219754435687&skuId=4494400

And have it break down due to shoddy parts and cooling

Also, :laugh: as ASUS for making a worse.alienware

gotta admit tho it looks pretty baller

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
reminds me of the ship master chief flew away on in halo 2 i think

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
it goes in the rear end

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

I've never understood how windows has always been so bad at multiple monitors, pretty sure even most linuxes can handle "there's a second monitor but it's only on sometimes" better nowadays

it really is the worst. i have a win 8.1 laptop for work with two external monitors hooked up. i tried to set up display scaling on just the laptop monitor so poo poo wouldn't be tiny on it compared to the big monitors, but the display settings ui only has one slider for everything. fortuitously, sliding it only seems to affect the laptop display, but when you scale the laptop display it fucks up any rdp/citrix connections so that when you show them on your external monitors the actual desktop within the session is rendered offset from the citrix or rdp window they're contained in so you can only see like the left 10% of the remote session and then just a black box filling the rest of the window. wtf.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Fourteen hundred and ninety nine US dollars and not even an SSD

Shameful

no ssd and a lovely laptop-style keyboard

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

no ssd and a lovely laptop-style keyboard

And a external power supply the size of 3 kinects

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wow that thing isn't even worth dollars.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

b-b-but you save like two hours when you buy prepackaged garbage with no support!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

theultimo posted:

And a external power supply the size of 3 kinects

silverstone has those diy cases that manage to fit a real processor, double-slot video card and an internal psu into a space smaller than an xbоne. not sure why asus has a problem.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

am i to understand that there are people in this very thread over the age of 25 that are still building pcs instead of just going out and buying what they need like a loving adult making 6 figgies?

Actually buying stuff off the shelf is for pussies, Nancy boys, and wimps. Real men build.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

desktop computers are pretty much a niche thing anyway these days so you either get a prebuilt shitbox or you get something massively overpriced

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Anyone else have the sudden realisation that they're way too emotionally invested in this platform?

Supposedly the first step to getting better is admitting you've got a problem so here goes.

I've had a horrible week. I've been so stressed and angry over the last few days and just generally pretty down. My wife got fed up with my moodiness and forced me to tell her what was wrong - it was the constant negative Windows Phone articles. So much doom and gloom was being spread about my favourite platform and I was so loving frustrated that I couldn't do anything about it. I'd been spending several hours a day reading them and getting more and more upset and I had no way to vent.

She laughed at me and told me to get my poo poo together. She's right. I had what can only be described as an epiphany - but not the kind of epiphany where you yell "eureka!", the kind where you say "oh gently caress, what have I done".

I am so much of a hardcore fanboy that I've let this poo poo affect my life - my real, non-internet life. What the gently caress was I thinking?

I feel sick to my stomach when I think about the countless hours of my life that I've wasted praising/defending a mobile platform; putting so much effort into converting others to my way of thinking. Oh my god, the pathetic poo poo that I've pulled in the name of Windows Phone over the years. Here's a taster:
  • I write essay length rebuttals in comments sections to any negative WP article I come accross.
  • If I don't get enough support for said rebuttals, I'll register new accounts to reply in agreement or give myself one or two "recommends" or "likes".
  • I sometimes pretend to be an iPhone/Android user to post a stupid, biased comment about WP that I can then refute.
  • I've created posts about how my 950 works perfectly and is bug-free, even though I don't own a 950 yet.
  • I make a lot of comments on various websites about how laggy and unstable my Android phones have been but I've never even used an Android phone.
  • I've written my fare share of "this guy at work saw my phone and was amazed" fantasies.
  • I've pretended to be a developer and written about how poo poo iOS/Android are to develop for compared to WP.
  • I've criticised the iPhone cameras for being rubbish in comparison to my Lumia (never actually used an iPhone past the 4s)
  • I've hounded people like Tom Warren and Paul Thurrot on Twitter for their negative WP articles (I've never written anything nasty or personal but I feel pretty guilty about giving them so much poo poo).

Phew! I feel 10 lb lighter! Writing all that out and re-reading it, I can't help but think what a loving basket case I am. What the gently caress is wrong with me? I think maybe it's just tribalism. Like I needed one side to support (Microsoft) and one side to despise (Google, and to a lesser extend Apple), and I invented my own reasons at a later date.

I don't for a second think that any of you lovely folk are as bad as me. But maybe a few of you are also letting this stuff get you down a bit - well now you can at least say you're not as bad as that other lunatic!

So anyway, I'm going to take a step back and get a different phone. Not because there's anything wrong with WP or my 930, but because I need to go cold turkey and reclaim a bit of sanity. Also, maybe it's a little poetic that I'm leaving this side of my life behind as the platform seems to be winding down.

So long chaps, you will be missed. I have no idea what I'll do with all my free time now. Maybe I should get into sports...

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/43pkci/anyone_else_have_the_sudden_realisation_that/

cremnob fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 5, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cremnob posted:

Anyone else have the sudden realisation that they're way too emotionally invested in this platform?

Supposedly the first step to getting better is admitting you've got a problem so here goes.

I've had a horrible week. I've been so stressed and angry over the last few days and just generally pretty down. My wife got fed up with my moodiness and forced me to tell her what was wrong - it was the constant negative Windows Phone articles. So much doom and gloom was being spread about my favourite platform and I was so loving frustrated that I couldn't do anything about it. I'd been spending several hours a day reading them and getting more and more upset and I had no way to vent.

She laughed at me and told me to get my poo poo together. She's right. I had what can only be described as an epiphany - but not the kind of epiphany where you yell "eureka!", the kind where you say "oh gently caress, what have I done".

I am so much of a hardcore fanboy that I've let this poo poo affect my life - my real, non-internet life. What the gently caress was I thinking?

I feel sick to my stomach when I think about the countless hours of my life that I've wasted praising/defending a mobile platform; putting so much effort into converting others to my way of thinking. Oh my god, the pathetic poo poo that I've pulled in the name of Windows Phone over the years. Here's a taster:
  • I write essay length rebuttals in comments sections to any negative WP article I come accross.
  • If I don't get enough support for said rebuttals, I'll register new accounts to reply in agreement or give myself one or two "recommends" or "likes".
  • I sometimes pretend to be an iPhone/Android user to post a stupid, biased comment about WP that I can then refute.
  • I've created posts about how my 950 works perfectly and is bug-free, even though I don't own a 950 yet.
  • I make a lot of comments on various websites about how laggy and unstable my Android phones have been but I've never even used an Android phone.
  • I've written my fare share of "this guy at work saw my phone and was amazed" fantasies.
  • I've pretended to be a developer and written about how poo poo iOS/Android are to develop for compared to WP.
  • I've criticised the iPhone cameras for being rubbish in comparison to my Lumia (never actually used an iPhone past the 4s)
  • I've hounded people like Tom Warren and Paul Thurrot on Twitter for their negative WP articles (I've never written anything nasty or personal but I feel pretty guilty about giving them so much poo poo).

Phew! I feel 10 lb lighter! Writing all that out and re-reading it, I can't help but think what a loving basket case I am. What the gently caress is wrong with me? I think maybe it's just tribalism. Like I needed one side to support (Microsoft) and one side to despise (Google, and to a lesser extend Apple), and I invented my own reasons at a later date.

I don't for a second think that any of you lovely folk are as bad as me. But maybe a few of you are also letting this stuff get you down a bit - well now you can at least say you're not as bad as that other lunatic!

So anyway, I'm going to take a step back and get a different phone. Not because there's anything wrong with WP or my 930, but because I need to go cold turkey and reclaim a bit of sanity. Also, maybe it's a little poetic that I'm leaving this side of my life behind as the platform seems to be winding down.

So long chaps, you will be missed. I have no idea what I'll do with all my free time now. Maybe I should get into sports...

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/43pkci/anyone_else_have_the_sudden_realisation_that/

nice to see shaggar turning over a new leaf

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cremnob posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at being a sourpuss so badly your wife asks whats wrong

bad phone reviews!!! :qq:

good on her for laughing but seriously she should dump his rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

Microsoft's lack of QA finally winning fans, although this really isn't anything new with MSVC:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/695023034797666305

pretty sure i raged about visual studio doing that over a decade ago, nothing new there

it's what drove me away from windows and to linux and eventually the most awesome computer, the mac

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
why would you uninstall vs2015, it's loving dope as hell

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ms is a clown shoes company, but their IDEs are da bomb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

in that they're weapons of destruction and pain, yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:grin:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

hate to say it, cremnob delivers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why would you uninstall vs2015, it's loving dope as hell

microsoft toolchains like to get really loving confused

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

cremnob posted:

omfg

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

so it's at most 200 for the case. which also includes LEDs

oh why didn't you say so before, now we all know it was totally a good deal

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

and again the size of the case was the whole point

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

and again the size of the case was the whole point

dont forget the leds. oh and it came with a sticker too, cant forget the sticker.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

I need to use xcode on a c++ codebase occasionally and jfc its support for c++ is total garbage

literally 0 refactoring support and intellisense or w/e they call it takes like like 5 seconds before it offers any suggestion

its fine for obcj or swift but i had to install a vm+vs to do dev so all I have to do in xcode is make sure it compiles.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

dont forget the leds. oh and it came with a sticker too, cant forget the sticker.

no I buy apple products for the sticker

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

I did this only because I dont have a closet in my new office and I wanted a dead silent machine

ended up with a PC that has no case fans, no cpu fan, and PSU/GPU fans that only turn when really under load so it literally has no parts moving unless I'm rendering video or doing some insane 3D or whatever

as a bonus it looks hilarious

edit: to be fair it doesn't look too bad buttoned up but I never see it anyway

but for extra hilarity did I mention it's a hackintosh

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 5, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

laughing my loving rear end off

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Internaut! posted:

I did this only because I dont have a closet in my new office and I wanted a dead silent machine

ended up with a PC that has no case fans, no cpu fan, and PSU/GPU fans that only turn when really under load so it literally has no parts moving unless I'm rendering video or doing some insane 3D or whatever

as a bonus it looks hilarious

edit: to be fair it doesn't look too bad buttoned up but I never see it anyway

but for extra hilarity did I mention it's a hackintosh

and you're proud of this trash heap?

jfc by a 5k iMac already, the worlds best computer

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

and you're proud of this trash heap?

jfc by a 5k iMac already, the worlds best computer

You mean alienware x51 if you are kevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

CraigK posted:

anyway, is there a list of kbXXXXXXX patches i have to hide on win7 to not get the "we're going to upgrade you to win10 because we have decided you need it" poo poo

I found this http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html and it seems nice and easier than blocking all the updates manually.

• Locked thread