Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Former Hedge Fund Manager and Corporate Raider, Bernard Sanders
Inexperienced Hippie and Lifelong Pacifist, Hillary Rodham
The Ghost of Martin O'Malley
View Results

• Locked thread
mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
waterboard snyder with flint's water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bad Caller posted:

Any time you kill someone, they could have been innocent. Many were.

gently caress that, we aren't able to ever have 100% proof to kill someone. Let's not stoop to murderers levels.

but would you kill baby hitler

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

The number of people who get killed despite being innocent is greater than zero, so the death penalty is terrible

Worst part is keeping them in prison is cheaper because of how lovely our prison system is underfunded.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hillary Clinton: Give Snyder the death penalty.

Bernie reverses immediately.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

The number of people who get killed despite being innocent is greater than zero, so the death penalty is terrible

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
reminder that the GOP gives no fucks about poors and lead poisoning

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Life in prison without parole is actually worse than the death penalty but good luck getting Americans to understand that.

Depends on how we choose to handle our prisoners. Life without parole can be made to be acceptable with work. Death is irreversible. Also if you're dead if you get exonerated it doesnt loving matter to you. We can still let the living out of prison.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Life in prison without parole is actually worse than the death penalty but good luck getting Americans to understand that.

Yeah but that leaves the choice up to the person. is this horrible to think, that a person can kill themselves if they choose to? I mean you can't let a guy like Timothy McVeigh (to use Hillary's example) free. You lock them up. If that person does not want to be alive anymore, then I don't care if they kill themselves. But the govt killing people, no.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Isn't it more costly to execute than to just sentence to life? I don't remember where I read this.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

i'm hillary clinton and blood for the blood god!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

Yeah seriously, for all the rancor and back in forth in this debate and this thread, people shouldn't forget that the GOP don't give a single goddamned gently caress about actual important things.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
They really should go over privacy issues. Like allowing the government back doors into encryption and the patriot act. Hillary isn't ver progressive there I don't think.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

Hillary doesn't care about minorities if she's okay with the death penalty.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Logikv9 posted:

They need to pull themselves and their children up by their bootstraps and move. Never mind that the lead poisoning has restricted the use of their arms.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Glad we're getting policy questions about the death penalty and water quality at 10:45pm.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rasta_Al posted:

Isn't it more costly to execute than to just sentence to life? I don't remember where I read this.
It's true, death row is hosed up.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

i'm hillary clinton and blood for the blood god!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Thump! posted:

Yeah seriously, for all the rancor and back in forth in this debate and this thread, people shouldn't forget that the GOP don't give a single goddamned gently caress about actual important things.

Also true, but "will gently caress over black people less than the GOP" shouldn't be our goal post

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Joementum posted:

Glad we're getting policy questions about the death penalty and water quality at 10:45pm.

west coast bias

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rasta_Al posted:

Yes, overwhelmingly. There's no reason to kill them except to get some kind of vengeance. Its really dumb.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

They really should go over privacy issues. Like allowing the government back doors into encryption and the patriot act. Hillary isn't ver progressive there I don't think.

Neither of them really know how computers work and Hillary wants a Manhattan Project to solve the whole thing so it'd be hilarious

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Remember all those innocent people Texas executed because it was that newfangled DNA that exonerated them? Well I'm sure that's completely in the past and innocent people never get executed anymore.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hillary Clinton bravely condemning Lead on national television

just wait until Big Lead hears about this

are copper companies donating to this shill?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

I genuinely don't know what you expected

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Rasta_Al posted:

It is, vastly more.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Rasta_Al posted:

It indeed is

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Optimus Subprime posted:

west coast bias

(mountain)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't one of the next GOP debates in Detroit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bad Caller posted:

Hillary doesn't care about minorities if she's okay with the death penalty.

She said she'd be fine with abolishing it at the state level, but wants to keep it at the federal level for terrorism, etc.

99% of executions are at the state level.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Optimus Subprime posted:

west coast bias

California values

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Rasta_Al posted:

yes, because of the long process of appeals

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hillary Clinton: Give Snyder the death penalty.

:agreed:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She said she'd be fine with abolishing it at the state level, but wants to keep it at the federal level for terrorism, etc.

Yeah because that totally won't be exploited. Just get rid of it entirely.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm afraid if Clinton wins I'm gonna feel like I'm in trouble every time she's upset over something. She was going off on Flint and I almost blurted out some lie about how it wasn't me even though I had nothing to do with it

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Bad Caller posted:

Also true, but "will gently caress over black people less than the GOP" shouldn't be our goal post

:agreed:

For the record, I don't think Bernie or Hillary will gently caress over minorities either way.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't one of the next GOP debates in Detroit

march 3

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Hillary nodding her head until Bernie says what if it was a white community and her nodding snapped so still.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"I suspect the Secretary agrees" is a great way of telling Clinton "align with this or hoo boy you're hosed"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I thought this was supposed to be 90 minutes I gotta get to bed soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is basically the incrementalist answer for abolishing the death penalty.

• Locked thread