Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Lame. All of a sudden I can't play final fantasy explorers online without updating to 10.5 from 10.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
All online interactions now expect the new Friends List title interaction (was updated with 10.5), so if you're on 10.3 and can install legit CIAs, you can probably get away with just updating the friends list module to get online working again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you'd be a straight dumb to be on 10.3 and not have downgraded + installed emunand

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I'm on 10.3 and used the web site thing and ironhax , but I don't want to really spend the time with the failing and stuff to get the deep access. Also there are so many terms to learn about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Devs like NIS are heavily aligned with Sony so their early presence there brought over other smaller devs within the same niche, and once they were all there it was easier to just stay there than to branch out.

It's similar to how all the bullet hell devs congregated on X360 last gen - that console didn't do poo poo in Japan but most of the devs couldn't afford to go multi-platform and many of their fans bought consoles just to play their games, so they stuck with it because it was easier and they felt like they owed it to their customers to stick to the one platform.

Hey, I remember that now (all the Xbox360 bullet hell games, that is). Thanks for the answer.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I didn't bother with it, beyond trying the userland stuff (emulation, play coin hack.) I have my own reasons for not wanting/needing to fully "root" my 3DS, but mainly it was all janky as gently caress and I didn't feel like taking a non-zero risk of bricking it.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

iirc birthright actually has stronger enemies, it just also has grinding available and simpler map design

Not stronger but more, especially in the last third. For instance, Ch 25 on Lunatic has 3 Bow Knights and Great Knights spawn on the left and 3 Dark Knights and Great Knights spawn on the right at the start of the fight with your party smack dab in the middle and the respawns (each side respawns fully) alternate left-right for several turns on Lunatic. So your options are either rush north through all the fixed enemies and pray no one gets drop chained (several enemy staff users have the staff that warps an enemy unit to the user) into oblivion and get a more tenable position, hold the line and hope your squishies don't get overwhelmed which they probably will, or send your beefiest unit to face tank the side with no magic.

None of these enemies are stronger than the ones on Nohr Hard because they have lower stats and gently caress all for skills but their high level weapons and their sheer numbers, combined with the empty terrain bonus-less map design can lead to way more resets

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 5, 2016

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Do any of you fuckheads work at Gamestop

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Silver Falcon posted:

What's the standard difficulty in Fates? In Awakening it was Hard, and Normal was easy mode in a funny hat.

Conquest I felt like the difficulties matched their descriptions: Normal not completely brain dead easy, Hard pretty difficult but fair, and Lunatic with some levels of bullshit but still beatable.

Birthright Normal is probably as easy as Awakening's normal. Once you get Ryoma, he can just plow through everything no problem. Lunatic Birthright is perfectly fine to do on a first playthrough if you're comfortable playing Fire Emblem.

Revelations is weird because a lot of maps will cause resets regardless of difficulty because of traps and gimmicks, but once you know them it's about the same as Birthright or maybe even easier.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

voltcatfish posted:

For some reason, the Donkey Kong Country games were made easier in Japan. More DK Barrels everywhere.

The original release of Devil May Cry 3 had the American Normal == Japanese Hard.

Regardless, with most games today ( I wasn't referring to these outliers actually ) if you are confident in your ability in the genre of the game, you should be able to clear the game on hard and get more out of it than playing on Normal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nintendo of america cant stop me from rubbing the screen when my 3d waifu is on it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

enojy posted:

I didn't bother with it, beyond trying the userland stuff (emulation, play coin hack.) I have my own reasons for not wanting/needing to fully "root" my 3DS, but mainly it was all janky as gently caress and I didn't feel like taking a non-zero risk of bricking it.

The only non zero risk aspect of it is

"Okay, I'm American with an Old 3DS... Better install the European New 3DS firmware. What's the difference anyway!"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brekelefuw posted:

I'm on 10.3 and used the web site thing and ironhax , but I don't want to really spend the time with the failing and stuff to get the deep access. Also there are so many terms to learn about.

Webhax and menuhax still 100% work on 10.5, I just upgraded from 10.3 to 10.5 two days ago and got menuhax set back up again. Ironhax is dead because they made it so you can't launch 1.0 at all.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

noirstronaut posted:

Do any of you fuckheads work at Gamestop

hey ur a fuckhead

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Apparently they didn't remove the whole private quarters chat bit on Fire Emblem Fates, but you can't touch faces. At least, not interactively.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kinda irking me that Nintendo offers reduced-price re-release "selects" in Japan and Europe, and yet here in the US Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is still 40 loving dollars physical or digital. Would be nice to get lower prices on some of the older games on the system now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lord Ephraim posted:

Conquest I felt like the difficulties matched their descriptions: Normal not completely brain dead easy, Hard pretty difficult but fair, and Lunatic with some levels of bullshit but still beatable.

Birthright Normal is probably as easy as Awakening's normal. Once you get Ryoma, he can just plow through everything no problem. Lunatic Birthright is perfectly fine to do on a first playthrough if you're comfortable playing Fire Emblem.

Revelations is weird because a lot of maps will cause resets regardless of difficulty because of traps and gimmicks, but once you know them it's about the same as Birthright or maybe even easier.

Right. Sounds like hard, at minimum, is what I should be starting it. I played Awakening to death and I've beaten all the other Fire Emblem games that have been released in the West.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The original release of Devil May Cry 3 had the American Normal == Japanese Hard.

Regardless, with most games today ( I wasn't referring to these outliers actually ) if you are confident in your ability in the genre of the game, you should be able to clear the game on hard and get more out of it than playing on Normal.

Yeah, I just wish they'd make it clearer with is the "standard" difficulty. It used to be easy, normal, hard, with normal being the standard. But at some point "easy" became a dirty word and only scrubs play on easy, or whatever, so normal became easy mode and hard became the standard difficulty in a lot of cases.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The difficulty chat makes me think of the Resident Evil remake

Normal, Easy, Very Easy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm awful at strategy games, so I'm gonna start on Birthright-Normal-Casual and abuse battle saves. :unsmigghh:

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Partner and I are looking for a game to get into together. We've been enjoying both Kid Icarus and New Super Mario 2 (though that game would be infinitely better if the brothers were able to travel independently of each other through some of the levels. )

Coop might be preferred but single player components are great because we are both commuters.

We were thinking Fantasy Life or the new FF Explorers. I wanted to steer us towards monster hunter but I think she has something against it. She loves WoW and I loved PSO if that helps at all. We have a 3rd 3ds but won't always have someone there to play with us.

Any Classic DS games also worth considering?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
For DS- Lego Battles, it's like Warcraft but legos

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

general chaos posted:

Partner and I are looking for a game to get into together. We've been enjoying both Kid Icarus and New Super Mario 2 (though that game would be infinitely better if the brothers were able to travel independently of each other through some of the levels. )

Coop might be preferred but single player components are great because we are both commuters.

We were thinking Fantasy Life or the new FF Explorers. I wanted to steer us towards monster hunter but I think she has something against it. She loves WoW and I loved PSO if that helps at all. We have a 3rd 3ds but won't always have someone there to play with us.

Fantasy Life is great fun in co-op! Just keep in mind you can't do story quests in multiplayer. You can do the various Life challenges together, and of course gather materials together. You'll each get your own loot drops, and monster Bounties will drop two of each of their loot. Both of these go to the person who turns in the Bounty, so you'd just have to divvy up the spoils properly. You can share loot using the treasure chest in the guild office.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Silver Falcon posted:

Fantasy Life is great fun in co-op! Just keep in mind you can't do story quests in multiplayer. You can do the various Life challenges together, and of course gather materials together. You'll each get your own loot drops, and monster Bounties will drop two of each of their loot. Both of these go to the person who turns in the Bounty, so you'd just have to divvy up the spoils properly. You can share loot using the treasure chest in the guild office.

Also, time stands still when you start multiplayer. If your missions require killing an enemy at a certain time of day, your host has to wait till the right time to allow you in.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

general chaos posted:

FF Explorers might be good for you guys if she's rejecting Monster Hunter. It's a little similar to a Hunting Action game in its structure, but it has more of the trappings of a Final Fantasy game, making it a bit MMO-like.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Legend of Legacy was released this week in Europe, and appropriately someone did a fluff piece on it on Gamasutra. Basically it's saying it's like Etrian Odyssey without the first person dungeon crawling. Not to mention also being light on story. Sounds promising.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not really. Its a SaGa game (and not a particularly great one), know what you're getting into.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

homeless snail posted:

Not really. Its a SaGa game (and not a particularly great one), know what you're getting into.

That's great. I don't know anything about SaGa, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They revel in being mechanically obtuse and explaining nothing of how the game works to the player. Some are better about it than others though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rexroom posted:

SaGa games have multiple people that each have their own story which you can pick a team out of to start with which decides how the game plays out. The actual story however is always super light and lacking and the combat system can get a little confusing. It also doesn't help that most of the combat in this one devolves into 3 dedicated roles of a blocker, attacker and healer for around 3/4 of all battles. It's also extremely same-y so it'll get repetitive pretty fast

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rexroom posted:

I'm gonna say you probably shouldn't play it, in that case. There are better SaGa games, and better 3DS RPGs.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

flyboi posted:

SaGa games have multiple people that each have their own story which you can pick a team out of to start with which decides how the game plays out. The actual story however is always super light and lacking and the combat system can get a little confusing. It also doesn't help that most of the combat in this one devolves into 3 dedicated roles of a blocker, attacker and healer for around 3/4 of all battles. It's also extremely same-y so it'll get repetitive pretty fast

I see. Doesn't sound like it has much grinding in it, at least according to that Gamasutra article. I'll have to try the demo and decide from there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rexroom posted:

Sounds promising.
Play the demo. The combat is rear end, every serious battle is the same, and character stat development is mostly random.
Thus grinding is random as well. You can spend 15 minutes and never see your attacking character get a weapon skill, while your designated healer swings a couple of times and gets new abilities.

Blocker - attacker - healer pattern is inevitable because many random enemies will take off more than half of your healer's health in one hit if not blocked.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
There's also a huge RNG factor as to which skills you unlock and how quickly they get stronger and even the frequency of your Stat gains is largely governed by RNG. Want a nice weapon? Spend lots of money on a boat that will come back hours later and hope it came back with good items that are in the skill tree your dudes are currently in. It's a pretty game with some nice music, but the whole skill and leveling system is very bad in my opinion and discouraged trying out new things and switching characters because then you're back to square one. I played maybe 20 hrs of it because I really wanted to give it a fair chance and I wanted to like it, but it's a stinker.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I know this is supposed to lessen my interest, but this is getting more and more intriguing after every post. I'll have to check that demo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I remember getting Final Fantasy Legend on gameboy. That was really Saga 1, wasn't it? Game was hard as poo poo, my 8 year old self could never figure it out, but I came back to it when I was older and loved it. Biggest gripe I had with it was the weapons. You get a kick rear end sword and it has 300 swipes and then it breaks and that's it.

The chip tune gameboy music was so loving good though, god this takes me back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjWm1hEmn8&list=PLB0xooEkKbSZV5DW3lg05yzCk14uSGp7m&sns=em

Overworld theme makes me want to go on an adventure.
http://youtu.be/vogMDXK-3uQ?list=PLB0xooEkKbSZV5DW3lg05yzCk14uSGp7m

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're gonna do an introductory series for Fates, sorta like they did for Awakening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CxH0daGJ5I

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

general chaos posted:

The new Zelda works with two people, it's fun and will both make you think the other person is retarded

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Rexroom posted:

I know this is supposed to lessen my interest, but this is getting more and more intriguing after every post. I'll have to check that demo.

I was like this. Then I played, died unexpectedly and lost a couple hours of play because you can only save in town and there is zero check pointing. Then I tried again being more careful but even so it's super frustrating to lose. I really can't get into any game that forces me to lose so much time retrying something.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Variable_H posted:

Kinda irking me that Nintendo offers reduced-price re-release "selects" in Japan and Europe, and yet here in the US Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is still 40 loving dollars physical or digital.

Your ire is baseless, since Luigi's Mansion 2 is not part of the Nintendo Selects lineup.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

DisposableHero posted:

I was like this. Then I played, died unexpectedly and lost a couple hours of play because you can only save in town and there is zero check pointing. Then I tried again being more careful but even so it's super frustrating to lose. I really can't get into any game that forces me to lose so much time retrying something.

Errr, I'm playing the demo and there's a quicksave that allows me to save anywhere in the map. (X+R) Did you read the manual?