Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Corporal Doogie Howser of Xcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Finished the second tutorial mission. Have no idea if this is a poor, expected or good start (Commander Difficulty). Grenades are still a lifeblood, at least early on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game runs perfect for me aside from graphics gently caress ups due to ultrawide screen. The load times on missions seem kinda long with an SSD.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Game runs perfect for me aside from graphics gently caress ups due to ultrawide screen. The load times on missions seem kinda long with an SSD.
Maps are now a series of macrotiles like the first trilogy instead of premade maps.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know what sucks? Missing two 95% attacks in a row.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Maps are now a series of macrotiles like the first trilogy instead of premade maps.

Only really say long because I reinstalled xcom1 this week to practice and load times were instant.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I take it you should stick to full cover where ever physically possible?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SkySteak posted:

I take it you should stick to full cover where ever physically possible?

Stick to full cover if you're already out of concealment, or if you can't kill the pod this turn.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fireaxis please rename Rangers to the "gently caress I Didn't Know Aliens Could Do That" class.

Thank god I am playing on Normal first time though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Explosives snapping to a grid rather than being free aim is driving me crazy. I know I can get both of those guys in the blast game, just let me do it :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

Stick to full cover if you're already out of concealment, or if you can't kill the pod this turn.

Hunker and low cover works good too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Turrets are considered enemy units for the sake of mission completion, ugh.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Explosives snapping to a grid rather than being free aim is driving me crazy. I know I can get both of those guys in the blast game, just let me do it :(

Yah that one's a bit weird. It feels like a regression from the last game.

poptart_fairy posted:

Turrets are considered enemy units for the sake of mission completion, ugh.

I have cleared mission without clearing turrets. Maybe you have to kill them only if you agro them or something?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I set the initial soldier pool to pool only or w/e in the config files, but none of the soldiers from my character pool ending up in my barracks. What did I do wrong?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

What's the max defense bonus you can get? I've got my rangers running around in spider suits with that dodge PCS and occasionally using the aid protocol on them.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

SkySteak posted:

Finished the second tutorial mission. Have no idea if this is a poor, expected or good start (Commander Difficulty). Grenades are still a lifeblood, at least early on.

Yeah that mission is a loving meat grinder. It got a little easier after that.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you guys are having trouble with turrets blow up the roof they're on. Falling damage destroys them instantly.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

The Meat Dimension posted:

Yeah that mission is a loving meat grinder. It got a little easier after that.

For some reason given this game I don't want to believe you.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SkySteak posted:

For some reason given this game I don't want to believe you.

He'd know, given his name too. :v:

But seriously that mission kicked my rear end too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the first things I want to do when I get home and can play is use the most guys I can at once, while also facing a commensurately large number of baddies. I like the feeling of large scale encounters; like, I always preferred the original Tactics Ogre to Final Fantasy Tactics for that reason. How many people can the game handle you spawning at once before it starts stacking people inside a single cell on the other side of the map like what happened with Beagle?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

The Iron Rose posted:

I swear to god if I'm the only woman in the goonpool I'll laugh my rear end off.

ladygoons where are you :C

For reference, I believe we now have three ladies in there.

Out of, um, about thirty characters.

Yep. Goons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Strobe posted:

If you guys are having trouble with turrets blow up the roof they're on. Falling damage destroys them instantly.

Note: this only works if it's on a roof that can be destroyed. Some roofs are harder than others. Of course if you're using a grenade, it's still one point of armor shredded even if you don't kill it.

Also, I find it hilarious that the Gas Grenade I got from the Proving Ground actually shreds armor.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well won't this be FUN.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welp, got demolished on the first loving mission. I'm already getting psyched out by the turn limits and making terrible decisions.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Crosspeice posted:

Well won't this be FUN.

I can't help but notice you have plenty of grenades left. You'll be fine.

90% of my profanities shouted at the screen have been along the lines of "gently caress I'm out of grenades!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

idonotlikepeas posted:

For reference, I believe we now have three ladies in there.

Out of, um, about thirty characters.

Yep. Goons.

I almost always end up a chick when my username gets put in LPs, and was thinking of modeling my wife to add to the pool to continue the tradition.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LibbyM posted:

I have cleared mission without clearing turrets. Maybe you have to kill them only if you agro them or something?

Turns out there was a MEC unit in the area I'd somehow missed. Only found it when it loving Kool Aided through a wall and smashed my A Team Heavy. :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harrow posted:

Welp, got demolished on the first loving mission. I'm already getting psyched out by the turn limits and making terrible decisions.

I'm playing on commander difficulty and I managed to get in sight of one objective after 5 turns of double moving and grappling with spider suits and finished the mission on the final turn... that poo poo is a little nuts.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Fister Roboto posted:

Anybody? Trying to figure out if this is just my system or a problem everybody is having.

Mine's running at ~1.7gb

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Internet Kraken posted:

It's frustrating, but it's got to be a purposeful nerf. :smith:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
lmao loving muton counterattack oneshotted, go kill yourself game, i sure am

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Strobe posted:

I can't help but notice you have plenty of grenades left. You'll be fine.

90% of my profanities shouted at the screen have been along the lines of "gently caress I'm out of grenades!"

Oh yeah I had no worries, only that they'd scuttle off to kill civilians, but they went straight for me and got blasted. That's why you bring TWO Grenadiers!

Edit:

Phew, thanks for taking the overwatch, civ. Now I can take this mec down no problem (hopefully).

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 6, 2016

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

It's kinda disappointing that none of the battle music is as good as Vigilo Confido or Snap Shot from the first game.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I like the little touch of the wanted photos in the city based maps. Its a nice little touch.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Customising your soldiers to how you like them feels like playing Barbie doll, only with a high chance you'll have those dolls horrifically melted in the near future.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I really hate snake ladies

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK, I want to try and get some of the original XCOM music into XCOM 2. They talked about how moddable it's supposed to be, but I can't find any documentation on how to do so.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, apparently Civilians opening doors breaks concealment.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hey you know whats bullshit, Codexes being able to teleport behind and fire at you in the same turn :argh:

Also gunslinger is a cool sub class that I keep forgetting I could just have him hang back and snipe dudes instead of trying to do sick nasty trick shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Lowtax has arrived as a sharpshooter and is totally wrecking ADVENT.

EDIT: Ha, the Viper autopsy has a snake tits joke.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 6, 2016