Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

It's kind of amazing that the two major parties for the most prestigious position of the United States of America can offer only these paltry sacrifices

It's kind of amazing that this is the result of their vaunted deep bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I suppose we all have to thank Christie now for annihilating Rubio and keeping the clown car going; it was looking like Rubio was going to take the primary but if this sticks then it's going to keep being a bloodbath for a while longer, which is great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bucswabe posted:

2) For the General election, is writing in a candidate's name an actual way that someone could be elected, or is it merely for a protest?

3) If you're voting on a voting machine, is there a mechanism to do a "write in" vote through some sort of free-text option?

Like 90% of the time yeah you can do a real write-in campaign, though it tends to only succeed in small towns, because it's hard to get millions of people to remember to write you in

Usually yes there's a keyboard or whatever if write in is an option, or the machine punches a hole for write-in and you use a pen.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Someone get me the video of the splitscreen where Marco Rubio is going into his stump for the third time in two minutes and Chris Christie is looking at him in complete bafflement with a hint of "is this man having a stroke?" right the gently caress now. Thanks in advance.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
What do you all think of the Trump vs Crowd moment? At first, I thought Trump was tanking with all of the boos, but when he spun it like he was facing off against the GOP Donor Class I found myself rooting for him as the underdog.

Lots of... confused emotions.

Rubio got absolutely savaged tonight. Christie hammered it at the very beginning of the debate-- nothing else he said matters tonight, the media narrative about Rubio's bad night is already hammering him.

I can't wait for the NH primary. I hope tonight galvanizes some of the second-tier governors to stay in the race longer, especially Christie. I want to see some more body blows on Rubio.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The bucket of crabs might just have saved Trump. This was a debate in which the entire audience started booing Trump at the top of their lungs and Trump basically called them all paid shills and yet Trump still had a far better night than Rubio. Ted Cruz, the other member of our frontrunning triumvirate, was basically a nonentity and was totally disconnected from the other debaters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

By the way, it's still totally possible that Cruz wins the nomination, it's just less likely than Rubio winning, for the reason revealed in the Salmon endorsement.

But Cruz has a ton of cash and the ability to make Super Tuesday bloody. If they tie coming out of that, March is going to be brutal.

Just bumping this post for no particular reason.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/DomenicoNPR/status/696178214784409601

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Roland Jones posted:

I suppose we all have to thank Christie now for annihilating Rubio and keeping the clown car going; it was looking like Rubio was going to take the primary but if this sticks then it's going to keep being a bloodbath for a while longer, which is great.

I don't think Rubio was damaged as much as everyone thinks. He still got his talking points out and recovered nicely for the remainder of the debate. Also got the most speaking time.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

At a certain point in this race I stopped wondering "This guy is a brilliant neurosurgeon?" and started wondering "This guy can dress and feed himself?" about the illustrious Dr. Carson. Every day he gets more and more pathetic. His performance tonight would've been career-ending if he were actually still relevant.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Kasich, Jeb and Christie will get a bump out of this at the expense of Rubio, which means they all stick around after NH. Chaos reigns.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mitt Romney posted:

I don't think Rubio was damaged as much as everyone thinks. He still got his talking points out and recovered nicely for the remainder of the debate. Also got the most speaking time.

does it really count as additional speaking time when he's repeating the same thing over and over again

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

True, but the Rubio beat-down happened SO EARLY in the debate - it was the most visible moment of the debate, which tended to slow down towards the end. I think the rest of Rubio's speaking time will be overshadowed.

I'm excited to see what the media narrative will be coming out of this debate. I thought Rubio was coming into this on the wrong side of the expectations game, and sure enough he took a beating.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Totalizator posted:

Kasich, Jeb and Christie will get a bump out of this at the expense of Rubio, which means they all stick around after NH. Chaos reigns.

I'm not sure about this. I still think Trump, Cruz, and Rubio are the top three in NH. I just have no idea what order they'll be in (and I don't think anyone does because nobody has a LV screen that accurately predicts Trump turnout).

Kasich and Jeb! have both said they'll drop out if they're not in the top three and I don't think they will be.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
dr carson... please come to the front of the grocery store... your mother is looking for you

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Patter Song posted:

The bucket of crabs might just have saved Trump. This was a debate in which the entire audience started booing Trump at the top of their lungs and Trump basically called them all paid shills and yet Trump still had a far better night than Rubio. Ted Cruz, the other member of our frontrunning triumvirate, was basically a nonentity and was totally disconnected from the other debaters.

yeah that poo poo was crazy. I think trump came out pretty poorly from the debate because he didn't really do anything to reverse the narrative that losing iowa made him defeated and tired and grumpy and vulnerable but with what happened to all the establishment guys he might still win NH. the next round of polls are gonna be really interesting

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mitt Romney posted:

90% of the coverage is that he sucked and no one except us political nerds pays attention to an entire debate

He melted down AT THE WORST TIME and that YouTube is BRUTAL

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i loved jeb's little pat on trump's shoulder like "all right??"

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
538 have updated their ideology chart today. Compare Trump vs. Rubio:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 7, 2016

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmfaoooooooooo

Look at CNN and all the hacks dumping Rubio and now JUMPING TO KASICH LMFAO

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

paging Dr. Carson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9FVlEtknU

lol at TRUMP trying to trip Jeb!

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 7, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Best case scenario for Trump that could have happened tonight: good showings from the governors, who strangle Rubio to make the establishment logjam worse; Cruz stumped somehow; Trump looking dignified, dynamic, sobered by his Iowa loss but not discouraged.

What actually happened: that

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
HOW TRANSPARENT AND OBCIOUS IS THE ESTABLISHMENT

ANYBODY BUT TRUMP PLEEEASEEEE

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
wishful thinking/recency bias here but id rank that Rubot fuckup worse than Rick Perry's "oops" and quite possibly up there with the Dean Scream in 21st century primary fuckups. it was that bad

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I said this in the debate thread, but I want to restate it here. It was weird to me how incompetent Rubio was against Christie. Awhile back, Bush had been telegraphing that he was going to be attacking Rubio over his Senate attendance, and Rubio (sensibly) prepared a counterattack that made Bush look really foolish when it happened in the debate. Christie has been broadcasting his line of attack against Rubio for a week, but Rubio's defense was not only non-existent, it was literally the worst possible response possible. How did he gently caress this up so badly?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vile posted:

HOW TRANSPARENT AND OBCIOUS IS THE ESTABLISHMENT

ANYBODY BUT TRUMP PLEEEASEEEE

Not quite.

Anybody but Trump. Wait, what? WHAT? Cruz? No, no no no no. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vile posted:

lmfaoooooooooo

Look at CNN and all the hacks dumping Rubio and now JUMPING TO KASICH LMFAO

Oh good I'm looking forward to everyone extolling Kasich's moderateness and his Christian good values :jerkbag:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
Did you have a nice time America? Who among you doubted me? I am going to be the President of the United States and we are going to make America great again.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

538 have updated their ideology chart today. Compare Trump vs. Rubio:

that Congressional voting record dot is kinda useless for Rubio cuz the sample size is so small

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patter Song posted:

Not quite.

Anybody but Trump. Wait, what? WHAT? Cruz? No, no no no no. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Well yeah anybody but TruMP or cruz

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Just bumping this post for no particular reason.

Super Tuesday is going to be soooooo good.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Donald Trump posted:

Did you have a nice time America? Who among you doubted me? I am going to be the President of the United States and we are going to make America great again.

i never lost the faith donny

btw congrats on ivanka popping out another kid

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Donald Trump posted:

:syoon:

MarcoRubio
Feb 3, 2016

Are you ready for a New American Century?
Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction, that Barack Obama doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
NH seems like Trump's best shot, but I just don't see it. He's not the sort of retail politician that can thrive in NH at the primary level, and I think his support in polling isn't going to translate to voters showing up on Tuesday.

I just have no clue where else anyone will go. The entire field is such a loving clown car...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xenophon posted:

I said this in the debate thread, but I want to restate it here. It was weird to me how incompetent Rubio was against Christie. Awhile back, Bush had been telegraphing that he was going to be attacking Rubio over his Senate attendance, and Rubio (sensibly) prepared a counterattack that made Bush look really foolish when it happened in the debate. Christie has been broadcasting his line of attack against Rubio for a week, but Rubio's defense was not only non-existent, it was literally the worst possible response possible. How did he gently caress this up so badly?

He thought hitting back on the mop issue would work, but unlike bush who folds at conflict, Christie just punched back

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MarcoRubio posted:

Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction, that Barack Obama doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

People who put the candidate gimmick accounts on ignore are lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

that Congressional voting record dot is kinda useless for Rubio cuz the sample size is so small

Also they're weighting it weird considering the pauls

• Locked thread