Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
J-Ru are you forgetting that epic feud D-Bry had with K-ane after winning the title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

he1ixx posted:

Is there any place to see the order of shows to make sure I'm going in order? WWE's search really leaves something to be desired.
Monday RAW
Thursday Smackdown
.... any site showing the actual sequence that includes stuff like the PPVs and stuff? or will it be obvious?

It goes RAW-NXT-Smackdown-Main Event-Superstars.

Right now PPVs go Extreme Rules-Payback-Money In The Bank-Battleground-SummerSlam-Night of Champions-Hell in a Cell-Survivor Series-TLC-Rumble-Fastlane-WrestleMania and they're generally held either mid-month or last week of the month.

Don't watch Main Event or Superstars for sure, maybe watch Smackdown.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

J-Ru are you forgetting that epic feud D-Bry had with K-ane after winning the title?

bryan drove a forklift to the ring and then jumped off of it, and then he left with a neck injury

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Lady Naga posted:

It goes RAW-NXT-Smackdown-Main Event-Superstars.

Right now PPVs go Extreme Rules-Payback-Money In The Bank-Battleground-SummerSlam-Night of Champions-Hell in a Cell-Survivor Series-TLC-Rumble-Fastlane-WrestleMania and they're generally held either mid-month or last week of the month.

Don't watch Main Event or Superstars for sure, maybe watch Smackdown.

Got it. Thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm trying, yes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

What were some other notable blatant attempts at sabotaging a wrestler's career/image over the years? I know this is a hard subject because in wrestling a lot of really stupid things are just that; stupid, not malicious.

The only ones that jump out at me are "Adorable" Adrian Adonis and Polka-dotted Dusty Rhodes.

ecavalli posted:

It was at least partially because no matter what goofy bullshit Vince forced on him (see: dancing, polka dots, Sapphire), Dusty was always able to get over with the fans. Vince loving hates it when a wrestler is successful despite WWE's booking.
Forgive my necro, but: Despite the polka dot thing, Dusty was consistently booked to win his matches from the first night he stepped into a WWF ring. That's very different from what happens to WWE guys when the company is mad at them for getting over.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, the show also started with Hogan, Austin and Rock in the ring where Austin (I think) said words to the effect of,"It's great we're here, but our time has passed, and it's time to see a new generation of stars take the spotlight", and the show that followed did give a very real sense that this was the way they intended to go. They didn't, but at least for the night it felt that way.
There was even a backstage segment where Hogan & Paul Orndorf buried the hatchet. :3: It was like all the loose ends of Wrestlemania's past had been tied up and it was truly time for a new era!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Then Daniel Bryan got injured and turned the world to poo poo.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
the current timeline is all brie bellas fault

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I watched that Summerslam and holy poo poo. That's all I can say really. Holy. poo poo.

Ok I can say a few more things. The excitement of the matches and the crowd reactions were way more intense than any thing I've seen since I started watching (around a month ago). CM Punk is my new hero. Daniel Bryant seems like a neato dude. That ending.... wow.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
D-Bry's neck was the gossamer thread holding the fabric of WWE together.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

he1ixx posted:

The excitement of the matches and the crowd reactions were way more intense than any thing I've seen since I started watching (around a month ago).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28aoao_wwf-raw-is-war-4-1-1999-the-rock-vs-mankind-for-wwf-championship_sport

he1ixx posted:

CM Punk is my new hero

you have good taste and i like you, friend

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

he1ixx posted:

CM Punk is my new hero.

Then Money in the Bank 2011 is the show for you.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And just think, where Wrestlemania 30 was an amazing show with a great ending, two years early we got "18 seconds."

Still one of the best GDT reactions ever.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

he1ixx posted:

Is there any place to see the order of shows to make sure I'm going in order? WWE's search really leaves something to be desired.

During Bryan's gradual face turn, there's waa also a short-lived D-show called Saturday Morning Slam which is pretty much The Daniel Bryan Comedy Hour, where they let him cut loose with his lovable indie heel act. Every single second Bryan is on that show is comedy gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwimyIZKSbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz1Vkgcp5XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgWuXdqvOBM

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Tyma posted:

During Bryan's gradual face turn, there's waa also a short-lived D-show called Saturday Morning Slam which is pretty much The Daniel Bryan Comedy Hour, where they let him cut loose with his lovable indie heel act. Every single second Bryan is on that show is comedy gold.
Not to mention the time he did the "I'm a ball, I can't be pinned" comedy spot on that show, much to the frustration of whoever his opponent was.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Tyma posted:

How can you mention DBry's obsession with bears and not include this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf527KRaCEc

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Is the go home Raw the one where HHH and Steph spend 20 minutes trying to kill Bryan because I thought that was a couple weeks before. Definitely watch that one though.

poo poo you're right. That should've been the go-home though.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
In the Observer yesterday, Cornette called pro wrestling "a uniquely American art-form."

He's dead wrong, right? Without considering the origins of grappling itself, I can think of international wrestlers as far back as the 1900s, like the Great Gama. Is it a thing where many different local interests in fighting/grappling led to the performance of worked matches worldwide? Or was pro wrestling really something started in North America and spread to other regions?

e: And for the record I think a ballet dancer gimmick would be much cooler and more entertaining, than Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano, JIM

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 5, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Cornette is talking bollocks as ever. Pro Wrestling started in France about a century before it started in the US.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'd say American pro-wrestling is certainly the loudest form of pro-wrestling, but saying that this makes it uniquely American is like saying cars are uniquely American because of Monster Trucks.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Tyma posted:

These are incredible. Majestic.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Holy poo poo. Hoe. Lee. poo poo.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 5, 2016

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Electric Lady posted:

In the Observer yesterday, Cornette called pro wrestling "a uniquely American art-form."

He's dead wrong, right? Without considering the origins of grappling itself, I can think of international wrestlers as far back as the 1900s, like the Great Gama. Is it a thing where many different local interests in fighting/grappling led to the performance of worked matches worldwide? Or was pro wrestling really something started in North America and spread to other regions?

e: And for the record I think a ballet dancer gimmick would be much cooler and more entertaining, than Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano, JIM

Pro wrestling as it exists now is very distinctly American. The evolution of worked matches at the turn of the century that resembled shoots to the performance style wrestling that came about in the 1920s is very much an American creation. Booking offices, touring groups, etc have their roots in that time.

Edit:

Before that the real development of wrestling as entertainment happened in the US, especially in the North East in the wake of the Civil War. Some of the earliest modern "pro" wrestling dates back to the Colonial period too.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 5, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Electric Lady posted:

It depends on how you define it. People have been wrestling/fighting for money for thousands of years, and I'm sure there was match-fixing in ancient Greece. You could argue that pro wrestling has roots in France because Greco-Roman was invented there, and there was widespread match-fixing.

But the entertainment medium we call professional wrestling, and the style of wrestling, was developed in the United States. There's a difference between matches being fixed with a predetermined winner for gambling purposes, and worked with planned spots, finishes, and cooperative moves designed to protect the wrestlers' health, entertain the crowd, and create incidents that would hype future matches. Americans invented worked wrestling.

The style of wrestling was a "catch-as-catch-can" that hybridized European wrestling styles along with important influences from Indian and Japanese grapplers, and "Toots" Mondt invented what he called "slam bang action Western wrestling." Mondt was one of the "Gold Dust Trio" of promoters who largely invented pro wrestling as we know it in the 20s.

Check out MRT's wrestling history thread.

Discount Trombones posted:

Not to mention the time he did the "I'm a ball, I can't be pinned" comedy spot on that show, much to the frustration of whoever his opponent was.
The Lady of The Lake!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Electric Lady posted:

I think you might like Ricki Starr

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pro wrestling is one of 6 original american art forms

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

he1ixx posted:

Holy poo poo. Hoe. Lee. poo poo.

10 year old me thought it was bizarre to see DX celebrating happily like heroes in the ring when they had plotted to put HBK through a windshield (leaving him looking basically dead) like an hour earlier in the show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrestlemania 30 is a bit like Wrestlemania X in that it seems like it's a harbinger of good times to come but it's more like "Enjoy it while you can, because we've sorta got nothing after this."

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
EDIT
Never mind

MisterGBH fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 6, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wrestlemania 30 is a bit like Wrestlemania X in that it seems like it's a harbinger of good times to come but it's more like "Enjoy it while you can, because we've sorta got nothing after this."

If you want to depress yourself after watching WMX, check out Survivor Series 94. It's like watching all the big non-Kliq names from WMX get bulldozed away.

- Yokozuna loses a casket match against the Undertaker, which is basically the end of Yokozuna being a big deal forever. He's gone until the next Wrestlemania.

- Bret Hart drops the title to Bob Backlund and sits on the sidelines for the next year, including the infamous Backlund match at WM11.

- Lex Luger not only loses his Survivor Series match against the Million Dollar Corporation, but it's the blowoff match too! Luger straight up LOST the feud and moved on.

- Owen Hart is a non-factor in the opening match and then has a role in getting Bret to lose the title. He ends up loving himself over because he gets dragged down the card with Bret. There's no real blowoff to their feud and he just does tag team stuff instead.

Plus Earthquake and Savage were long gone too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gavok posted:

If you want to depress yourself after watching WMX, check out Survivor Series 94. It's like watching all the big non-Kliq names from WMX get bulldozed away.

- Yokozuna loses a casket match against the Undertaker, which is basically the end of Yokozuna being a big deal forever. He's gone until the next Wrestlemania.

- Bret Hart drops the title to Bob Backlund and sits on the sidelines for the next year, including the infamous Backlund match at WM11.

- Lex Luger not only loses his Survivor Series match against the Million Dollar Corporation, but it's the blowoff match too! Luger straight up LOST the feud and moved on.

- Owen Hart is a non-factor in the opening match and then has a role in getting Bret to lose the title. He ends up loving himself over because he gets dragged down the card with Bret. There's no real blowoff to their feud and he just does tag team stuff instead.

Plus Earthquake and Savage were long gone too.

Well, there's a reason 94-95 is considered one of the worst periods in WWE/F history.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Watching the attitude era raws on the network, and I'm up to the raw after King of the Ring. This has a three way match between HHH, Owen Hart and Ken Shamrock in a match called "The King of Kings match". Shamrock won this match so shouldn't he in fact be called the King of kings instead of HHH?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

freeranger posted:

Watching the attitude era raws on the network, and I'm up to the raw after King of the Ring. This has a three way match between HHH, Owen Hart and Ken Shamrock in a match called "The King of Kings match". Shamrock won this match so shouldn't he in fact be called the King of kings instead of HHH?

Everyone should tweet this to HHH just to see how long it takes him to bring in Shamrock for a match.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

Everyone should tweet this to HHH just to see how long it takes him to bring in Shamrock for a match.

Ken would probably do it after his 21 years in the making Royce Gracie rematch

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Ken Shamrock would probably do it for a ham sandwich.
And right after he had eaten said sandwich.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If he does that thing where he punches his head and then screams during his entrance I'm all for it.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
If he did, he'd be out for a solid 15 minutes or so.

...Just long enough for a HHH Wrestlemania entrance, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Before you all dismiss this as a joke, note that Shamrock is 5 years younger than Sting and was still a star a shorter time ago than Sting's WCW crow run. It would be harder to overlook Shamrock's status as an MMA jobber, but then again WWE successfully ignores TNA even when bringing in TNA mainstays.