Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

You don't really listen to shows at double speed do you?

The app I use has "for this show only" and "for any new show" settings, so CBB always starts at 1.25x with Smart Speed turned on but can be changed. If it's super funny I go to 1x to drink it up, and if it's kinda lovely but still worth hearing I go to 1.75x. I listen to a lot of boring political podcasts at 2.25x so I'm used to it if I speed it up, though depending on the guest and how they do deliveries the superspeed can stop being useful.

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I can't hear what people are saying at 1.3x speed, so this boggles my mind. (I will frequently listen to things at 1.2 though.)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like speeding things up would kill the timing/delivery of anything funny

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
What the gently caress is going on

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Besson posted:

What the gently caress is going on

Its important to get through listening to things you enjoy as quickly as humanly possible.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kings Of Calabria posted:

The app I use has "for this show only" and "for any new show" settings, so CBB always starts at 1.25x with Smart Speed turned on but can be changed. If it's super funny I go to 1x to drink it up, and if it's kinda lovely but still worth hearing I go to 1.75x. I listen to a lot of boring political podcasts at 2.25x so I'm used to it if I speed it up, though depending on the guest and how they do deliveries the superspeed can stop being useful.

Get off the internet Howard

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I have admittedly listened to things at more than 1x speed, but that's when I have a large backlog of podcasts to get through and I only do max 1.5x. It works sometimes for stuff like Who Charted, not so well for Never Not Funny.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I add reverb to all my podcasts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

It seems like speeding things up would kill the timing/delivery of anything funny

nah the rhythm is still there just sped up

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I listen to my favorite podcasts at 0.8x to really savor the experience.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I play podcasts at regular speed, but I hire a drummer to play along live, it really heightens the experience.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Zsinjeh posted:

I add reverb to all my podcasts

Crankit posted:

I play podcasts at regular speed, but I hire a drummer to play along live, it really heightens the experience.

You two should get together and maybe do both. I think you're on to something here...

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crankit posted:

No, no, no you're doing it wrong. You hire a drummer to play along with music. You hire a comedian to tell jokes along side a podcast. Along with reverb. I have a Sony DRE-777 setup loaded with an impulse sample of Todd Glass' backyard to get the proper effect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't listen to podcasts at any increased speed, but when I listen to an audiobook I tend to speed it up because the readers are always so goddamn slow. Like, half as slow as in my head.

Lord Wexia posted:

You two should get together and maybe do both. I think you're on to something here...

It's called The Todd Glass Show.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 10, 2016

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I don't listen to podcasts

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't listen to podcasts at any increased speed, but when I listen to an audiobook I tend to speed it up because the readers are always so goddamn slow. Like, half as slow as in my head.

It's called The Todd Glass Show.

Is that show as unbearable as it seems? The only good Todd Glass is him being bullied on CBB or UTU2TM? Even his CBB appearances can be unlistenable.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I stopped listening to it like 2 years ago but the early episodes were amazing, it was my favourite podcast for a while (especially any episode with Rory Scovel or Adomian)

But then again it just kind of sounds like you don't like him (I love him on CBB) so I dunno, you probably wouldn't like it

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I stopped listening to it like 2 years ago but the early episodes were amazing, it was my favourite podcast for a while (especially any episode with Rory Scovel or Adomian)

But then again it just kind of sounds like you don't like him (I love him on CBB) so I dunno, you probably wouldn't like it

This is pretty accurate. That said, listen to the Scovel eps. There's some great things in there. Just be prepared to fast forward. I like Todd but he has issues and really needs to go over things again and again. I don't know if it's a confidence thing or what but he is very insecure. I don't mean that in a bad way he's just constantly in need of validation.

Also, this is peak Todd Glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtBujEncAg

@ 2:07 note the drums in the background...

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 10, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GNU Order posted:

I don't listen to podcasts

Same, but I do watch videos on YouTube of other people reacting to podcasts.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought that was illegal now?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought that was illegal now?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Flaskraven posted:

Is that show as unbearable as it seems? The only good Todd Glass is him being bullied on CBB or UTU2TM? Even his CBB appearances can be unlistenable.

It's been my favorite podcast before. I don't listen to it much these days, but it's worth giving a shot on an episode with PFT and Kirkman. It's kind of like listening to an improvised sketch show. Todd or the guest will come up with a bit, and then they'll play around in the bit, then change it a little, play around in it some more, maybe redo certain parts, really trying to get at the heart of it. Then they'll move on and do it with another bit. It's pure silliness and delight when it's on. This Pete Holmes clip and this PFT clip are two incredible examples.

The hardest part to get past is Todd's 5-45 minute social justice rant at the beginning or people getting too stoned and losing the thread. That, and the podcast is like 3 hours long.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 10, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

part to get past is Todd's 5-45 minute social justice rant at the beginning or people getting too stoned and losing the thread. That, and the podcast is like 3 hours long.
Besides the rants I do miss podcasts being 3 hours long. Sincerely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like longer podcasts in general, but it can occasionally be a little exhausting with Glass if they run out of steam and are only going on because he and the guests are having a good time.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I stopped listening when Daniel Kinno stopped being the co-host, Todd is just a bit too much sometimes and it gets uncomfortable for me. I love the guy but he really has some control issues. Restarting a bit when everyone is tense is no fun. It was one of my favorites too early on.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Gejimayu posted:

Been listening to a lot of clips lately, and I'm ready to make the plunge with this podcast. Sadly, I don't have hundreds of hours to plow through the show so I'm wondering where I should start. Are there quintessential episodes that I need to listen to or should I just go back a number or episodes or what?

Agreeing with others that the end-of-the-year podcasts are good for this. If they play a bit I really like I'll just go back and listen to the whole episode. Also, just go through the backlog and listen to episodes where you know/like the guest(s). I've also found the holiday episodes are really good because they feature ton of characters, which can lead you to this strategy:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also look up the CBB wikia, it's pretty useful. If you find yourself drawn to certain characters, a lot of them have storylines of sort so you can listen to those episodes (ie every Marissa Wompler episode, who is always gold).

This is how I've been listening to the show recently. You can use the CBB wiki to find every episode a character or person has been on. I recently listened to every Cake Boss and Neil Campbell episode, and now I'm going back and listening to every Nick Kroll and Andy Daly episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seaniqua posted:

This is how I've been listening to the show recently. You can use the CBB wiki to find every episode a character or person has been on. I recently listened to every Cake Boss and Neil Campbell episode, and now I'm going back and listening to every Nick Kroll and Andy Daly episode.

Yeah I should definitely do the same for Campbell, I've probably missed a ton of his stuff because he's not the first guest on and I listen late at night and tend to fall asleep within 30 minutes or so. It sometimes takes me 5 attempts to get 80% through a show, and then a new one will be out and I've missed the last part.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ElCondemn posted:

I stopped listening when Daniel Kinno stopped being the co-host, Todd is just a bit too much sometimes and it gets uncomfortable for me. I love the guy but he really has some control issues. Restarting a bit when everyone is tense is no fun. It was one of my favorites too early on.

Pretty much the same here, although I listened every week with Daniel Kinno and now I just listen if I like the guest - along with the previously mentioned PFT/Jen Kirkman/Rory Scovel episodes, I'd make sure to check out the Andy Kindler and Jake Fogelnest ones too. I'm probably forgetting some people, but I think they've got the best interplay with Todd.

For me without Daniel Kinno there to rein him in sometimes he's either too deferential (anytime Eddie Pepitone's on) or he'll just truck over people (a decent chunk of episodes) and it gets kinda monotonous.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Sometimes I listen to podcasts at like .75 speed to make sure all the goodness lasts as long as possible.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

You can often find me turning Brett Gelman episodes down to .5 or .25

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

power botton posted:

You can often find me turning Brett Gelman episodes down to .5 or .25

This sounds pretty fun, actually. Wanna listen to iBrain at half speed.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
For new person: I think this episode is good if you know who Nathan Fielder is and like him.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

For a new person I agree with the Best Of suggestion. Also any episode with Paul F Tomkins is almost always a sure bet.

There are a lot of recurring bits but I think Scott does a pretty good job of cycling through callbacks and they aren't really the focus of the show. You can pretty much drop in any time and get 90% of the jokes.

When I started listening they were only up to episode 50 and I was commuting 2 hrs a day, so I listened to all of them pretty quickly. There are some fairly legendary bits in the first couple years but on the whole the show has been the most consistent the past 2 years or so.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm OCD usually about starting from the beginning, but with CBB you can really just try out either the Best-Of's or find a guest you like and listen to a few of their eps. For me, I heard a random episode of Doug Loves Movies with PFT in it, decided I liked him, listened to a few of his CBB eps and saw Andy Daly's name and the rest was history.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

This is a long shot of course but my brother and I have bought tickets to the Atlanta GA tour date and our significant others both need the cars we would use to get there. If you are going through Columbia South Carolina on the way to that show we would be grateful for a ride. The alternatives we're looking at are not great. Get at me.

Columbia is a beautiful city which, despite some unfortunate change of decoration on its statehouse grounds, has cool people living in it. Not all of us have turned our backs on history.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i will 30 second skip through an episode if i am really enjoying it but the idea of playing it faster is... gross. can't rationally explain why, but i do feel strongly about it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

cams posted:

i will 30 second skip through an episode if i am really enjoying it but the idea of playing it faster is... gross. can't rationally explain why, but i do feel strongly about it.

How fast do you talk in real life conversations?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Tangentially related, Zouks is on Conan right now.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

For new person: I think this episode is good if you know who Nathan Fielder is and like him.

still one of my favorite episodes ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I'm listening to that one next...the later one with Nathan Fielder and Anthony Jeseknik was pretty funny too. My second favorite next to the Heidecker/Gelman/Daly episode, I think 367. But I just started listening last June