Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Bloomberg is like the worst of both parties. He's a republican when it comes to loving over the poor and he a democrat when it comes to condescending to the poor about what they can and cannot have.

That's why I laugh at the notion of him appealing to any substantial block of "moderates" outside of wall street and rich people more generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Bloomberg is like the worst of both parties. He's a republican when it comes to loving over the poor and he a democrat when it comes to condescending to the poor about what they can and cannot have.

To be fair, Republicans are pretty bad about telling poor people what they can and cannot have too. I get what you're trying to say though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It works because if a R is in WH when this happens...

It really won't matter to me, Scalia and Thomas have been party to some of the most harmful legal majorities in the modern era and have tried their hardest to show the depth of their insane incompetency and bias in the minorities. Whoever gets nominated in their stead would have a lot of lovely decisionmaking to do to even approach Scalia and Thomas's malfeasance.

They shouldn't be justices, they shouldn't even be holding public office. They should never have been nominated, much less confirmed.

Is Reagan's corpse accessible? What kind of a crime would it be to dig it up, open the corpse's mouth and take a poo poo in it?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dropping like flies today. There's whole percents of the base up for grabs now!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SumYungGui posted:

And all of them did better than Carson.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

a shameful boehner posted:

Is Reagan's corpse accessible? What kind of a crime would it be to dig it up, open the corpse's mouth and take a poo poo in it?

That shouldn't be a crime, that should be the american Hajj.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Thomas isn't incompetent, he just has extremely unusual legal theories such as "the federal government went off the rails the moment the commerce clause was used". He explicitly gives no shits about the effects of his jurisprudence but he is the most consistent justice on the court.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I dunno, I consider not asking a single question from the bench since 2006 to be the sign of an incompetent Justice

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I dunno, I consider not asking a single question from the bench since 2006 to be the sign of an incompetent Justice

It's not like Scalia asks questions expecting to change his mind based on the answer

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I posted this briefly on her campaign statement: "I'm glad you're gone. Your political campaign ads were terribly obnoxious and bespoke to a fabulous egoism, the sort one would expect a business CEO with an inflated opinion of their own ability to have."

I then deleted it because I don't want people harrassing me on facebook. Ah well. Her ads were TERRIBLE.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

That poor campaign, it's heart, beating, and someone somewhere says "harvest the brain".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, I personally think that Thomas's legal interpretation is hosed in the head but at least he's consistent about it which is why he's ruled in favor on the side of individual liberties when it comes to drug use and such.

The true bastards on the court or Scalia and Alito. Those are the two that will go out of their way to side on "their" sides behalf and then try to reason it out in their rulings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I posted this briefly on her campaign statement: "I'm glad you're gone. Your political campaign ads were terribly obnoxious and bespoke to a fabulous egoism, the sort one would expect a business CEO with an inflated opinion of their own ability to have."

I then deleted it because I don't want people harrassing me on facebook. Ah well. Her ads were TERRIBLE.

Still an improvement over demon sheep

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

It's not like Scalia asks questions expecting to change his mind based on the answer

Do any of them? SCOTUS hearings always kind of struck me as political theater with the matter well decided beforehand.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

It actually will be interesting to see how the new 5% distributes itself. I'm guessing most of it will end up in Trump's hands?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It actually will be interesting to see how the new 5% distributes itself. I'm guessing most of it will end up in Trump's hands?

Gilmomentum! He is surging up in the ranks, and is increasing his support tenfold in every state so far!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, I personally think that Thomas's legal interpretation is hosed in the head but at least he's consistent about it which is why he's ruled in favor on the side of individual liberties when it comes to drug use and such.

The true bastards on the court or Scalia and Alito. Those are the two that will go out of their way to side on "their" sides behalf and then try to reason it out in their rulings.

But he's explicitly not consistent when it comes to individual liberties e.g. Obergefell. Thomas is as much of a lovely conservative hypocrite as any of them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would consider myself to be an extremely high information voter who spends tons of time following politics at all levels and I still have no idea who the gently caress Jim Gilmore is.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lotka Volterra posted:

But he's explicitly not consistent when it comes to individual liberties e.g. Obergefell. Thomas is as much of a lovely conservative hypocrite as any of them.

Thomas is one of the most consistent justices. He just happens to adhere to a judicial philosophy that virtually no other human on earth does.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I think that there might be enough sympathy in the electorate to give Fiorina a boost on any VP spot. I mean, I can think of at least 28,000 former HP employees who know exactly what she is going through today

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

I think that there might be enough sympathy in the electorate to give Fiorina a boost on any VP spot. I mean, I can think of at least 28,000 former HP employees who know exactly what she is going through today

hahhaa ouch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Do any of them? SCOTUS hearings always kind of struck me as political theater with the matter well decided beforehand.

I think generally you're right, but that in those cases where a justice changes their mind, it tends to be one of the liberal justices that does so. If that's true, the effect of oral argument is only ever to push the ruling to the right, so that sucks.

Although it might not be true and that might have fallen out of my rear end.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Please. This is New Jersey.

It'll smell like pork roll.

Please you mean Taylor ham.

Maybe that's why Chowder is at the doctors, his heart is broken.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I would consider myself to be an extremely high information voter who spends tons of time following politics at all levels and I still have no idea who the gently caress Jim Gilmore is.

I only know about him because I grew up in VA. What I can't figure out is why he ran to begin with. He doesn't have a book to hawk, he doesn't really have national ambitions now (if he ever did), he doesn't have an ideological niche staked out that gives him an audience, he's just a don't-tax-and-don't-spend, old-school moron in the best tradition of the Grand Old Party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress has Jim Gilmore been doing for the last 13 years that it occurred to him that this was his time?

Also, did you know that JIm Gilmore was the governor of VA from 1998-2001?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

PhazonLink posted:

Maybe that's why Chowder is at the doctors, his heart is broken.

This reminds me, what ever happened to that Steven crowder guy? Or is this a question I should ask the rwm thread?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mdemone posted:

I think generally you're right, but that in those cases where a justice changes their mind, it tends to be one of the liberal justices that does so. If that's true, the effect of oral argument is only ever to push the ruling to the right, so that sucks.

Although it might not be true and that might have fallen out of my rear end.
I'd imagine it's the swing vote that tends to change either way - so you'd want to be looking at where Kennedy initially stood on things for the last few years, and so on back if there were consistently-in-the-middle judges.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

What the gently caress has Jim Gilmore been doing for the last 13 years that it occurred to him that this was his time?

Also, did you know that JIm Gilmore was the governor of VA from 1998-2001?

I did. I grew up in Gilmore's Virginia. He referred to the Springfield Mixing Bowl as "one of the greatest achievements in human engineering" and ran on one promise - repealing the car tax - and proceeded to never do it.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

zoux posted:

Yeah all the questions and arguments at orals are just things from the amici briefs that an individual justice found interesting or funny and they like to make the arguing attorneys squirm.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I did. I grew up in Gilmore's Virginia. He referred to the Springfield Mixing Bowl as "one of the greatest achievements in human engineering" and ran on one promise - repealing the car tax - and proceeded to never do it.

No, he did it. It was being phased out over a period of years. Then 9/11 happened, the economy crashed and VA had a huge car tax-shaped hole in the budget, so they halted the phase-out.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

mdemone posted:

I only know about him because I grew up in VA. What I can't figure out is why he ran to begin with. He doesn't have a book to hawk, he doesn't really have national ambitions now (if he ever did), he doesn't have an ideological niche staked out that gives him an audience, he's just a don't-tax-and-don't-spend, old-school moron in the best tradition of the Grand Old Party.

His thought was, "'Generic Republican' is cleaning up versus the Democrats. That's me!"

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I heard part of a talk Justice Sotomayor gave a few years ago that explains this. She said that the preliminary voting process just after arguements involves no debate. Just a combined statement and vote done in order of seniority. So the junior Justices especially ask questions in a way to communicate their position and reasoning to their seniors ahead of the votes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ceiling fan posted:

I heard part of a talk Justice Sotomayor gave a few years ago that explains this. She said that the preliminary voting process just after arguements involves no debate. Just a combined statement and vote done in order of seniority. So the junior Justices especially ask questions in a way to communicate their position and reasoning to their seniors ahead of the votes.

I guess it's harder to fault Clarence Thomas for not participating in a charade then. Still, gently caress em.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

This reminds me, what ever happened to that Steven crowder guy? Or is this a question I should ask the rwm thread?

https://www.youtube.com/user/StevenCrowder

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Is Gilmore still in?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

He doesn't believe in oral arguments, either. It is a(n insane) principled stance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This happened in Seattle too, if I remember right.

feds: You are doing these fifteen awful things. Fix them.
SPD: Some of those are hard to fix, can't we negotiate about this?
feds: Sorry, I must have misheard that, what did you loving say?

edit: I didn't clearly hear what happened after that though; I wasn't living in Seattle at the time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 10, 2016

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Is Gilmore still in?

#stillstanding

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ceiling fan posted:

On this note, if anyone hasn't read The Nine and The Oath, Jeffrey Toobin's two books on the Supreme Court, they're pretty much required reading for anyone who wants to understand how the current Court's makeup operates.

• Locked thread