Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the full criminal complaint against Cliven Bundy.

edit: Oh poo poo, this is gonna get real. These charges are RICO-applicable.

RICO would be really incredible. And really, really deserved.

edit: Wow, they really do have a lot of charges against him. I'm imagining an FBI conference room with pictures on the wall and pins and strings pointing out the links, like an old school RICO investigation. Who knows how long they were working on this? I hope somebody writes a book. I really want to know how much poo poo was going on behind the scenes while we all assumed the feds were never going to do anything about the Bundy family

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

1-900-MIX-ALOT

Kick them nasty thoughts

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

These charges are RICO-applicable.

Hell yea, time to dispense some indiscriminate justice!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

theflyingorc posted:

The basic thing is that it spreads crimes you commit around, right? Each person becomes more accountable for stuff the organization did as a whole?

Roughly speaking, yes. I should be clear- it's extremely unlikely that RICO would come into play, but it's being left on the table with these charges, if I understand its scope properly. If RICO is used, it's a sign the government is going after other people who were funding or organizing the Bundys- they don't need RICO to put the Bundys away for decades at this point.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Did Frylo marty himself yet? I doubt the FBI has him so either hes dead or still speechifying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

snorch posted:

What the gently caress is the people's beef with football?

The NFL is an exceptionally awful organization. Not as bad as FIFA or the IOC, but still one that needs a federal investigation enema.

Talmonis posted:

That about right? Cliven Bundy's bail is going to be denied right?

Absolutely. There's no way to argue that his release on bail would result in anything other than him holing up at his ranch with even more guns. He is a massive flight risk.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

mcclay posted:

Did Frylo marty himself yet? I doubt the FBI has him so either hes dead or still speechifying.

Fry is alive and well in FBI custody and im out 20 bucks

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mcclay posted:

Wrong on all counts.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Who needs RICO when we have PEDRO

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Bundy is lucky, really. He's getting the legal Rico instead of this one.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

1stGear posted:

Wrong on all counts.

Wait, so the FBI has him?
HAHAHA holy poo poo
Thats...Thats good actually. I'm glad he isn't dead. Turns out all his Jesus comparing and rejoindering was for naught.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

quote:

At approximately 9:40 am on Thursday, February 11, 2016, the FBI brought three of the remaining Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupiers into custody without incident. At approximately 11:00 am, agents brought the fourth into custody without incident.

* Sean Larry Anderson, age 47, of Riggins, Idaho
* Sandra Lynn Anderson, age 48, of Riggins, Idaho
* Jeff Wayne Banta, age 46, of Yerington, Nevada
* David Lee Fry, age 27, of Blanchester, Ohio

No one was injured, and no shots were fired. Thursday marks day 41 of the occupation of the refuge.

Agents arrested the remaining four occupiers as they walked out of the refuge to the FBI checkpoint. Those arrested will face arraignment before a U.S. Magistrate Judge in Portland on Friday, February 12, 2016.

At times, there were dozens of highly armed militants occupying, visiting and supplying the refuge. On Wednesday, February 3, 2016, a federal grand jury indicted 16 people:

* Dylan Wade Anderson, age 34, of Provo, Utah
* Sandra Lynn Anderson, age 48, of Riggins, Idaho
* Sean Larry Anderson, age 47, of Riggins, Idaho
* Jeff Wayne Banta, age 46, of Yerington, Nevada
* Ammon Edward Bundy, age 40, of Emmett, Idaho
* Ryan C. Bundy, age 43, of Bunkerville, Nevada
* Brian Cavalier, age 44, of Bunkerville, Nevada
* Shawna Cox, age 59, Kanab, Utah
* Duane Leo Ehmer, age 45, of Irrigon, Oregon
* David Lee Fry, age 27, of Blanchester, Ohio
* Kenneth Medenbach, age 62, of Crescent, Oregon
* Joseph Donald O'Shaughnessy, age 45, of Cottonwood, Arizona
* Jason S. Patrick, age 43, of Bonaire, Georgia
* Ryan Waylen Payne, age 32, of Anaconda, Montana
* Jon Eric Ritzheimer, age 32, Peoria, Arizona
* Peter Santilli, age 50, of Cincinnati, Ohio

Each subject faces one federal felony count of conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation, or threats, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 372.
All defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

"The occupation of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge has been a long and traumatic episode for the citizens of Harney County and the members of the Burns Paiute tribe. It is a time for healing, reconciliation amongst neighbors and friends, and allowing for life to get back to normal. I want to thank our neighbors in eastern Oregon for their patience, resolve, and their kind and welcoming spirit to the many members of federal, county, state, local, and tribal law enforcement who have worked tirelessly to bring this illegal occupation to a conclusion. The fine work of so many dedicated public servants in a difficult endeavor cannot be understated. I am very proud of them all," said Billy J. Williams, U.S. Attorney, District of Oregon.

"Much work is left to assess the crime scene and damage to the refuge and tribal artifacts. We are committed to seeing the job done and to pursue justice for the crimes committed during the illegal occupation."

The FBI will release more information about the law enforcement work that still remains to be done at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge later in the day.

###

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the full criminal complaint against Cliven Bundy.

edit: Oh poo poo, this is gonna get real. These charges are RICO-applicable.
:eyepop: Goddamn, we're going full loving RICO against him?

I guess I'm now a fan of the FBI, when they bring the hammer down they bring it down harder than the Norse Gods.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

1stGear posted:

Wrong on all counts.

Well he might still be speechifying.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

The basic thing is that it spreads crimes you commit around, right? Each person becomes more accountable for stuff the organization did as a whole?
I added some more info to my post, but here's wiki on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
How wide a net could they throw with RICO? Could they theoretically go after anyone who donated or provided material support to the standoff?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Again, just because RICO's available doesn't mean it will be used. If RICO is applied, it will mean the government is targeting people who were funding or supporting the Bundys.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Its basically used for conspiracies and criminal organizations, to take down the bosses who never get their hands directly dirty. Basically the charges that apply to one apply to all. Nasty stuff to be at the business end of it.
It was amazing to see how those four letters instantaneously changed the attitude about the original FIFA arrests from "a few underlings will get a slap on the wrist" to "everybody, all the way to the top, are completely hosed and going to prison".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
RICO is the fed’s big swinging dick.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

mcclay posted:

Wait, so the FBI has him?
HAHAHA holy poo poo
Thats...Thats good actually. I'm glad he isn't dead. Turns out all his Jesus comparing and rejoindering was for naught.

He gave himself up after much ado about him being a man and making a stand, because that's what a man does. He also threatened suicide more than once, and went on a crazy screed against the government hiding proof of UFOs (Not aliens though. That'd be silly.), and all the technology that they're hiding. That WWII was a scam, Vietnam was a scam, and it's all being run by the jews bankers.

Now that it's over, it's kind of sad really. He needs help. Like, a lot of help. Hopefully he'll get it now.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

fade5 posted:

I guess I'm now a fan of the FBI, when they bring the hammer down they bring it down harder than the Norse Gods.

No confirmation on RICO yet but I really wouldn't be surprised if they'd been pursuing it from the get-go

It certainly would explain why Cliven didn't get arrested in 2014. It's not like they didn't have enough dirt on him back then.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Gustav posted:

Well he might still be speechifying.

Hopefully with a pizza in one hand and a warm blanket in the other, on his way to a serious evaluation.

And prison, once that all happens. But the man was legit mentally unsound and I really hope he gets his pizza on the way to the rest of his life in the system.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Soylent Yellow posted:

How wide a net could they throw with RICO? Could they theoretically go after anyone who donated or provided material support to the standoff?

if they charged that cards against humanity idiot for the barrel of lube, this day would go from best ever into perfect

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

They're not using RICO yet. I was saying the charges against Cliven are listed as the kind of charges that can be used to apply RICO. That's all.

Soylent Yellow posted:

It'd depend on their involvement. It's complicated stuff. If it were applied, they would be targeting the 501c organizations and associated politicians that were helping during the initial Bundy Ranch standoff.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

theflyingorc posted:

hey, turns out that thing about Blaine Cooper being arrested was true.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/blaine_coopers_wife_says_he_ha.html#incart_river_home

I think that's it for the major players.

I am so looking forward to the documentaries about this. Now it's trial time!

They michael bay treatment will do wonders for this story

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soylent Yellow posted:

I don’t think the connection is substantial enough to go after people like that with RICO, but IANAL.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soylent Yellow posted:

They would be fools to go after the good citizens who sent dildos.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, just because RICO's available doesn't mean it will be used. If RICO is applied, it will mean the government is targeting people who were funding or supporting the Bundys.

Oooh yeah. Didn't they have a gofundme or something?

e: also anyone who sent Haribo bears from Amazon :lol:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

RICO is the fed’s big swinging dick.

:fap:

Discendo Vox posted:

I wonder how many politicians would get indicted in the process?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soylent Yellow posted:

:rip: people who sent them double ended dildos

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

buttcoinbrony posted:

if they charged that cards against humanity idiot for the barrel of lube, this day would go from best ever into perfect

I don't want to live in a country where I can't mail sex toys to militias. :colbert:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

akadajet posted:

:rip: people who sent them double ended dildos

It would be pretty funny if the government fined everyone who sent them snacks and supplies though

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mirthless posted:

No confirmation on RICO yet but I really wouldn't be surprised if they'd been pursuing it from the get-go

It certainly would explain why Cliven didn't get arrested in 2014. It's not like they didn't have enough dirt on him back then.

He was effectively on house-arrest and they could just wait for more stupidity to happen. They got far more than they were hoping.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Now is the time for rebuilding. It might be good to start identifying Malheur organizations, researchers, etc that will need donations to recover from this.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/697863886012157952

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fade5 posted:

It's unlikely they'll go that farm though it would be fantastic if they did so and started cleaning out the militia movement due to the Bundy standoff. Bridge sniper and the rest of the 'guards' at the stand off would all be fair game for prosecution though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mirthless posted:

It would be pretty funny if the government fined everyone who sent them snacks and supplies though

“we had to bag this 55 gallon drum of lube as evidence, hope it was worth it, assholes”

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, there's a pretty big difference between "you protested and got arrested so here's some money for your defense" and "we're gonna send material aid to someone actively involved in a criminal act." I don't think they'd go after your average pensioner sending granola bars but for douchenozzles who showed up armed and got their faces on camera...?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

“we had to bag this 55 gallon drum of lube as evidence, hope it was worth it, assholes”

54 gallons.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Any thoughts on if they will, or is it one of those inscrutable government workings things where we just wait and see?

As a layperson it makes sense to me that the feds would like to not have this be something that keeps springing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyJew
Jan 10, 2009

I was not on wheel watch.
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

mark talked him into leaving, with talk of pizza and cries of hallelujah

somehow im not joking

Has someone cut that clip out of the live stream yet?

• Locked thread