Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mods plz rename me "Hallelujah Common Chorus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DeathSandwich posted:

During the stream itself, this thread exploded when he mentioned he was a messianic jew and everyone in the stream got real quiet. I don't really know anything about Messianic Judaism so I don't understand the whole subtext of the statement aside from the very face value. Are messianic Jews big on the martyrdom thing?

no, not really - it was just that the streamers then realized that he wasn't an evangelical Christian like they had been supposing and they FINALLY realized that their rhetoric wasn't necessarily going to work on him.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DeathSandwich posted:

Granted I Am Not a Psychologist, but I think when you get in that mind set you start making big demands that some part of you knows is unreasonable (in his case, to never pay taxes and for the government to stop mutating people) but most of all they any personal victory at all, no matter how minor. Hence why he was able to walk away alive with a cookie, a promise of a pizza, and a hallelujah from the feds.

During the stream itself, this thread exploded when he mentioned he was a messianic jew and everyone in the stream got real quiet. I don't really know anything about Messianic Judaism so I don't understand the whole subtext of the statement aside from the very face value. Are messianic Jews big on the martyrdom thing?

It was more just that the people talking to him had been going on endlessly about Jesus and we're really grasping that he wasn't into it until he finally snapped at them for it.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

theflyingorc posted:

no, not really - it was just that the streamers then realized that he wasn't an evangelical Christian like they had been supposing and they FINALLY realized that their rhetoric wasn't necessarily going to work on him.

The best part was when he said he wished he was talking to a Muslim cleric instead of Hall and Gavin. :laffo:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Another legal question, but is the Smith Act still in effect and can these morons be charged with it?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DeathSandwich posted:

It was more the 'final straw' in discovering that Fry really had little in common with them at all other than 'gently caress da government'.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I thought this was funny: the Bundys still referring to the wildlife refuge by their fake made-up name, WELL AFTER the feds have the place completely surrounded and are in the process of removing the last four. Pretty loving delusional.

https://www.facebook.com/bundyranch/posts/960032444073564

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Where's the latest summary post because god drat you fuckers making like 1700 posts in a few hours. It's like a GDT in here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Followup FB post:

WAKE UP! IT'S TIME FOR BREAKFAST AND CELL INSPECTIONS!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Probably a dumb question, but are you allowed to carry guns on planes?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

In a manner of speaking, yes. But not on your person. It has to be checked in separately.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mr Interweb posted:

No.

You can check it in, but you can't carry it on with you.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr Interweb posted:

poo poo no. It has to be in checked luggage where you can't access it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

IIRC only if you're an air marshal now.

Like they're the only law enforcement that can carry firearms on commercial flights.

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

Stultus Maximus posted:

For those who missed it, NPR has the whole morning stream up:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/11/466394039/listen-final-occupier-refusing-to-leave-oregon-wildlife-refuge

The "hallelujah" moment is at 3:13

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is going to be a hoot this weekend.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
So, in the near future, stuff that should keep this thread interesting:

1. Feds are going to have to clean up the refuge. We should get reports on its condition.
2. Maybe there will be further activity against the Bundy family at their ranch. Since they took the Patriarch, it could easily be a repeat of this situation at the reserve.
3. We don't know how many "patriots" are still hanging around Burns, or how they'll take this latest news.

Long term:
1. Effects on broader supporters, like crazy Nevada senator lady
2. Responses by other militias.
3. The Trials.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is going to be a hoot this weekend.

I have my doubts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Elendil004 posted:

Where's the latest summary post because god drat you fuckers making like 1700 posts in a few hours. It's like a GDT in here.

All remaining people at the refuge taken into custody. Cliven Bundy captured at airport because he's done. David Fry got a cookie and a Hallelujah.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I missed it because of work, drat it. I'm happy to hear that DefendYourBase didn't kill himself.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Edit:

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

1. Feds are going to have to clean up the refuge. We should get reports on its condition.
2. Maybe there will be further activity against the Bundy family at their ranch. Since they took the Patriarch, it could easily be a repeat of this situation at the reserve.
3. We don't know how many "patriots" are still hanging around Burns, or how they'll take this latest news.

Long term:
3. The Trials.

Long Term Effect 4 - season 3 of Serial

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Polaron posted:

No.

You can check it in, but you can't carry it on with you.

DeathSandwich posted:

poo poo no. It has to be in checked luggage where you can't access it.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Like they're the only law enforcement that can carry firearms on commercial flights.

Okay, didn't think so, but just wanted to make sure. This being the case, it makes Cliven's decision to board a plane even more hilarious.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

A Winner is Jew posted:

There are extremely limited circumstances where non-air marshals can carry but the paperwork is insane and it's very rare.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/law-enforcement

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 11, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Smiling Jack posted:

There are extremely limited circumstances where non-air marshals can carry but the paperwork is insane and it's very rare.

you need it so that William Shatner can shoot gremlins

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crabtree posted:

Another legal question, but is the Smith Act still in effect and can these morons be charged with it?

I sure hope not; that was a terrible law.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Tree of liberty lookin really dry today

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

hcenvirons posted:

Long Term Effect 4 - season 3 of Serial

Oh god I've never wanted a podcast so badly in my life

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, didn't think so, but just wanted to make sure. This being the case, it makes Cliven's decision to board a plane even more hilarious.

People make it sound like he thought he was going to meet the Nevada state rep at the airport and maybe figured he would be immune from arrest because of that (he wouldn't have been) but she wasn't there anyways

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Long term:
3. The Trials.

The other thing to watch for (and I'm sure the FBI are on this) is any potential OKC bombings from this. I have to say that the contrast to how they handled this standoff and the Bundy ranch one have been way better than Waco / Ruby Ridge, but sovcit's have been proven to be loving batshit at every corner and after all the cries of "they don't play fair" or "tarp man was murdered" I could easily see one of the fringe people wanting to become the next McVeigh.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Good Citizen posted:

Roll that poo poo up super sheriff :420:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

People make it sound like he thought he was going to meet the Nevada state rep at the airport and maybe figured he would be immune from arrest because of that (he wouldn't have been) but she wasn't there anyways

:lol: What the hell? This keeps getting better and better.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Good Citizen posted:

I kind of get the feeling that near the end he mainly surrendered because he realized the people he had surrounded himself with were crazy jesus freaks who saw his impending suicide as an opportunity to guide him into the kingdom of heaven

Like I was so certain at the Hallelujah! moment he was going to kill himself, but now I'm pretty sure he was just making fun of the other two idiots on that phone call

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Smiling Jack posted:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/law-enforcement

I'm the boring shut in that's never been on an airplane. Are Air Marshals in plainclothes when on an airplane generally? It'd stand to reason you wouldn't want to advertise who the Air Marshal on a flight was in case some group of people get it in their head to try and jack him.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

A Winner is Jew posted:

The other thing to watch for (and I'm sure the FBI are on this) is any potential OKC bombings from this. I have to say that the contrast to how they handled this standoff and the Bundy ranch one have been way better than Waco / Ruby Ridge, but sovcit's have been proven to be loving batshit at every corner and after all the cries of "they don't play fair" or "tarp man was murdered" I could easily see one of the fringe people wanting to become the next McVeigh.

Real talk, I hope the number of militiamen that decide to continue to uphold this incident are kept to an absolute minimum despite all of the people on twitter/facebook calling for people to stand up and take arms.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

A Winner is Jew posted:

I forgot to mention that. Again, it's too bad they had to shoot LaVoy, because this was nearly perfect.

Also, a statement from the Harney County Court:

quote:

"The occupation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is over. Law enforcement will now be able to begin the process of clearing booby traps and processing the crime scene. Let's be clear, armed occupation of federal property is a crime, it is not a peaceful protest, and the illegal taking of federal property is a matter rightly dealt with by the FBI.

"There are underlying issues that still need to be addressed. Management of federal land is one we have been working on for years, and we will continue this work. Harney County has made some positive steps forward through collaborative processes, but there is a long way to go. In addition, the re-sentencing of Dwight and Steve Hammond should be dealt with in a legal manner and we will support those efforts.

"In the meantime, the occupation and continued presence of militia groups in Harney County continues to cause division in the county and every community within. Calls for thousands of people to descend on Burns are very troubling. Continued militia presence in Harney County will only serve to delay any meaningful work on the issues that need to be addressed.

"We are very grateful that the occupation ended peacefully and we look forward to the day when our community is ours, once again."
Note the talk about "militia groups still in Harney County". Those people are still around, the FBI still has work to do, but this was the biggest thing still in their way.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I get the sense that the FBI are an actual good intelligence agency where the CIA / NSA are spying, torturing fucksticks. Is that accurate?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm the boring shut in that's never been on an airplane. Are Air Marshals in plainclothes when on an airplane generally? It'd stand to reason you wouldn't want to advertise who the Air Marshal on a flight was in case some group of people get it in their head to try and jack him.

You are never supposed to know if an air marshal is on your flight.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mo_Steel posted:

I get the sense that the FBI are an actual good intelligence agency where the CIA / NSA are spying, torturing fucksticks. Is that accurate?

The FBI are police -- they work in the country; the CIA are spies -- they work outside of the country.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/PaladinCornelia/status/697881698801811456

Full set of heli images of surrender at http://www.kgw.com/news/local/eastern-oregon/refuge-occupiers-fbi-work-toward-standoff-end-thursday-morning/39633218

Mark Identified! (not really)
https://twitter.com/PaladinCornelia/status/697870335782232064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

The NSA is very good at what is does. It just probably shouldn't be doing a lot of it.

• Locked thread