Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm the boring shut in that's never been on an airplane. Are Air Marshals in plainclothes when on an airplane generally? It'd stand to reason you wouldn't want to advertise who the Air Marshal on a flight was in case some group of people get it in their head to try and jack him.

Yes, they're supposed to be indistinguishable from regular passengers. Although I've heard of Air Marshals getting sloppy and being kind of obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Actually had a busy day at work and missed the madness. Any chance of adding a recording of the Braveheart soundtrack surrender and Kylo Ren's big soliloquy to the OP?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mo_Steel posted:

I get the sense that the FBI are an actual good intelligence agency where the CIA / NSA are spying, torturing fucksticks. Is that accurate?

Errrr...the FBI has done some awful things.

They're just really, REALLY good at what they do. They win. A lot.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So what was that argument made by the last ones holding out that "The refuge was in better condition after we got here!"?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm the boring shut in that's never been on an airplane. Are Air Marshals in plainclothes when on an airplane generally? It'd stand to reason you wouldn't want to advertise who the Air Marshal on a flight was in case some group of people get it in their head to try and jack him.

Yeah, Air Marshals are generally plainclothes officers and they're sometimes randomly (or not so randomly) placed on flights. There's no way of knowing your plane has an Air Marshal on it until poo poo goes down.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mo_Steel posted:

I get the sense that the FBI are an actual good intelligence agency where the CIA / NSA are spying, torturing fucksticks. Is that accurate?

FBI are on average the best intelligence agency while the CIA is the worst. The NSA is mostly signals stuff so they really don't do much but track everything you read/write/listen to. :nsa:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
haha such a filthy hovel

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Anyone else notice the tarp camp is named camp finicum?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

EorayMel posted:

So what was that argument made by the last ones holding out that "The refuge was in better condition after we got here!"?

That was made by Gavin Seim, and it was kind of followed by 'Um..' and sputtering by (I believe) Sean

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

A Winner is Jew posted:

FBI are on average the best intelligence agency while the CIA is the worst. The NSA is mostly signals stuff so they really don't do much but track everything you read/write/listen to. :nsa:

That's not to say that the FBI is all that great either, it's just that the FBI have always operated on the assumption that they're law enforcement officers while the CIA have always operated on the assumption that they're superspies. This is why the FBI's worst offenses usually involve a dozen cultists/militiamen/whatever getting killed in a standoff, and the CIA's worst offenses are black site prisons and gun running operations with Mexican cartels. One organization places value on taxpayer lives, the other organization sees taxpayers as just another threat to The Company.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Did they seriously write "Camp Finicum" on the side of their tarp tent?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Anyone else notice the tarp camp is named camp finicum?

They'd been calling it that for a while. Because they were just camping like normal people, see?!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

A Winner is Jew posted:

The other thing to watch for (and I'm sure the FBI are on this) is any potential OKC bombings from this. I have to say that the contrast to how they handled this standoff and the Bundy ranch one have been way better than Waco / Ruby Ridge, but sovcit's have been proven to be loving batshit at every corner and after all the cries of "they don't play fair" or "tarp man was murdered" I could easily see one of the fringe people wanting to become the next McVeigh.

Well, this whole incident was such a massive loving failure that even other militia groups are calling the whole thing a false flag. :lol:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

shoplifter posted:

That was made by Gavin Seim, and it was kind of followed by 'Um..' and sputtering by (I believe) Sean

It's gonna be so funny when they find a bunch of new poo poo to tack onto everybody's sentences now that they have the compound fully secured.

After how much of a pain in the rear end they made this for the FBI, I imagine that every illicit logon event and every mile joyridden is going to come back to bite Ammon Bundy in the rear end.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Shakenbaker posted:

They'd been calling it that for a while. Because they were just camping like normal people, see?!

"We're going to start the second revolution!"

"We're peacefully protesting!"

"We're just camping!"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Filthy scum.

I really hope they didn't leave any actual booby traps.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

There are extremely limited circumstances where non-air marshals can carry but the paperwork is insane and it's very rare.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/law-enforcement

It's not that hard for federal LEOs. I won't go into details because the policy is stamped for non-disclosure.

I don't carry on planes because I don't fly commercial for work (I would not check my service weapon, you get hammered if you lose those), and I like to drink and (try to) sleep on commercial flights.

There is an ask/tell by an air Marshall, it's pretty good reading if you're curious.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

EorayMel posted:

"We're going to start the second revolution!"
AHEM

the quote is "It's the second American revolution, mom! We're gonna be heroes!"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Filthy scum.

On the one hand that would suck if they did, on the other if they did then EVERYONE gets charged for that poo poo that's already in custody.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

A Winner is Jew posted:

On the one hand that would suck if they did, on the other if they did then EVERYONE gets charged for that poo poo that's already in custody.
Best of both worlds: tons of obvious booby traps and none of them actually work because they're all idiots.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well, this whole incident was such a massive loving failure that even other militia groups are calling the whole thing a false flag. :lol:

I was expecting this. This whole debacle was such an embarrassment to Socis and groups like Sagebrush that it's effectively setting back the militia movement decades. It was like a reverse WACO. Or an Oklahoma City Bombing without a daycare getting wiped out in the process. I imagine there are some people in the FBI who just got some very big boosts to their careers for ending this in an essentially bloodless way. Except Finicum, but everyone's seen the video at this point, the way his supporters are trying to paint him as a martyr just further discredits their movement.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Filthy scum.

I really hope they did. I'm sure the FBI is going to be taking their sweet time securing the rest of the compound. If they find any booby traps, that's a whole new set of charges, and if they're going for RICO prosecution that means Ammon and Ryan could be facing charges for every booby trap the holdouts set. (I suspect this may also be why Ammon was sweating the end of the occupation so hard - if he knew RICO was on the table he also knew he was on the hook for anything that happened at the occupation)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When I get home from work, I'll get started on a full write-up of the incident that can be linked to in case anyone is confused on the events.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mirthless posted:

I was expecting this. This whole debacle was such an embarrassment to Socis and groups like Sagebrush that it's effectively setting back the militia movement decades. It was like a reverse WACO. Or an Oklahoma City Bombing without a daycare getting wiped out in the process. I imagine there are some people in the FBI who just got some very big boosts to their careers for ending this in an essentially bloodless way. Except Finicum, but everyone's seen the video at this point, the way his supporters are trying to paint him as a martyr just further discredits their movement.

Which is part of why they jumped on Finicum's death so hard. They actually really NEEDED something, ANYTHING that made the government look like the bad guy here. They were boned otherwise.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Didn't see this posted unless I accidentally skipped a page:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Leah_Sottile/status/697861384722214912

:gaz: This will not stand! :gaz:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

shoplifter posted:

At least she gave us permission not to thank her.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

shoplifter posted:

i'm not going to glorify anything you said because you said many, many dumb things and almost made the kid kill himself on several occasions.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

tbf if i could blow my shofar that's all i would do all day, too

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I want someone to modify this and say it to Cliven;

quote:

Cyrus Grissom: [in squeaky voice] Oh, stewardess? Stewardess? What's the in-flight movie today?
Guard Falzon: Well, I think you'll like it, Cyrus. It's called "I'll Never Make Love to a Woman on the Beach Again", and it's preceded by the award-winning short, "No More Steak for Me, Ever".

Edited appropriately to address his age and lack of beach based real-estate of course.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mirthless posted:

Or an Oklahoma City Bombing without a daycare getting wiped out in the process.

Uh, while I agree with your general sentiment, I think this part's pretty off.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

shoplifter posted:

She has a really funny way of spelling Agent Mark's name.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dallan Invictus posted:

She has a really funny way of spelling Agent Mark's name.

Since Lemmy's passed god needed a new host.

He found special agent Mark.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

eviltastic posted:

I don't know how it was in the rest of the country but in Michigan we went from having our biggest militia airing commercials on television to local businesses putting up signs saying "MILITIA MEMBERS NOT WELCOME" basically overnight. As soon as we knew where Timmy came from we were all in a big hurry to not be associated with him.

After moving out to Oklahoma I also discovered that Oklahoma has basically no militia movement, or at least not a significant one, despite our extreme right leaning tendencies. Everyone takes "the Murrah Bombing" very seriously out here.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

eviltastic posted:

Yeah the daycare being destroyed, and that iconic image of the firefighter with the dead baby, was one of the main things that made even the far right realize things had gotten way to loving real, at least for a little.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait a minute. I thought Blaine Cooper was one of the final four? But it turns out he was arrested in Nevada?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait a minute. I thought Blaine Cooper was one of the final four? But it turns out he was arrested in Nevada?

No, he was one of the people we were worried about the night of the arrests. He skedaddled during the night, and was thought to be in hiding

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Blaine Cooper got cast out of the group when it turned out he stole valor.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Has any one of them thrown out the term "Benedict Arnold" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

No, he was one of the people we were worried about the night of the arrests. He skedaddled during the night, and was thought to be in hiding

Oh okay. Good to see the FBI didn't let him get off.

• Locked thread