Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
This is what happens when you gentrify a dense urban area with a bunch of loving new spiritualist anti science idiots. Built a wall and carpet bomb the whole inner north (sorry beets office, sorry burgers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is what happens when you gentrify a dense urban area with a bunch of loving new spiritualist anti science idiots. Built a wall and carpet bomb the whole inner north (sorry beets office, sorry burgers)

The problem should take care of itself in a generation or so

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

gay picnic defence posted:

The problem should take care of itself in a generation or so

You still need a wall for that to work to contain it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Oh that Barnaby

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Barnabys say the darndest things.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh yeah, QLD Whooping Cough rates are like five times above last year.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Now there's a carpet bombing scheme we can all get behind!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

Welp.

Sorry mum, never visiting QLD to see you again.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
gently caress all anti-vaxxers. All the adults deserve to get polio

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/nauru-baby-being-kept-by-brisbane-hospital-20160212-gmt3dg

Brisbane hospital is refusing to let the asylum seeker baby be taken.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Outstanding. This could finally be one of the breaking points of many recent actions, being that this single act with all the meaning it carries could force change.

I hope with all of my heart that this single event will either lead to more of such events, or the outright decision that too many have spoken out and they must stay.

Who the gently caress knows what will happen though... And that is one of the worst parts, for all of those 267 refugees who are involved.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Redcordial posted:

Outstanding. This could finally be one of the breaking points of many recent actions, being that this single act with all the meaning it carries could force change.

I hope with all of my heart that this single event will either lead to more of such events, or the outright decision that too many have spoken out and they must stay.

Who the gently caress knows what will happen though... And that is one of the worst parts, for all of those 267 refugees who are involved.

Yeah, after Melbourne's Royal Children's hospital refused to send kids back it feels like the whole thing feels like the wheels are starting to come loose. If it's not the last I hope it's at least one in a continuing string of refusals, and calls for the end to detention. I'm just a bit sad that even if it works even in a best case scenario we'll still probably only let in women and children :smith:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Recoome posted:

Wasn't Barnaby Joyce the guy who is sceptical about climate change because it was cold in Canberra one time

Yes, he did point out that somebody was wearing a jumper at 6am in the coldest city in Australia during the coldest month of the year as an argument against climate change.

Cleretic posted:

While yes, Barnaby did say this, I'm sure you can find similarly damning quotes from every member of the LNP.

For some reason I couldn't find a better version of this

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yes, he did point out that somebody was wearing a jumper at 6am in the coldest city in Australia during the coldest month of the year as an argument against climate change.

If carbon tax, why cold?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, after Melbourne's Royal Children's hospital refused to send kids back it feels like the whole thing feels like the wheels are starting to come loose. If it's not the last I hope it's at least one in a continuing string of refusals, and calls for the end to detention. I'm just a bit sad that even if it works even in a best case scenario we'll still probably only let in women and children :smith:
You are far too positive. The real eventual outcome of this is that they will either deny medical care to asylum seekers in future, or pay Serco (Or whatever they call themselves now) to set up Border Farce approved facilities in which to treat them (On the cheap, of course, with substandard resources) so those bleeding heart lefties cannot impede our governments moral imperative to send babies off to be tortured.

Oh, and have some First Dog:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Redcordial posted:

Here's to hope

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Peccadillo posted:

Here's to hope

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

:vomarine:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Vladimir Poutine posted:

"whom"

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They are strangely silent when the summer breaks pretty much all records....

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So are we officially back to muppet government now or do we have to wait till after the latest cabinet reshuffle kerfuffle? Asking for a friend.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cartoon posted:

So are we officially back to muppet government now or do we have to wait till after the latest cabinet reshuffle kerfuffle? Asking for a friend.

One day we will be ruled by Pavel

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Isn't all these resignations exactly what Turdball wants? A reshuffle with a bunch of small L no names so he can sail into an election without a face the public can hate?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

Isn't all these resignations exactly what Turdball wants? A reshuffle with a bunch of small L no names so he can sail into an election without a face the public can hate?

Yes.

Blame Abbott for as much of it as they can. Get Senate voting changes through, call a DD on unions.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

In the short term, potentially. In the longer term there will be a bunch of unhappy backbenchers scheming away and making trouble.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dare they backstab a prime minister whose setting popularity records nearing or exceeding peak Rudd?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

Dare they backstab a prime minister whose setting popularity records nearing or exceeding peak Rudd?

Ask yourself this question "What would Queensland do"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-13/bill-shorten-negative-gearing-capital-gains-tax-plans/7165462

gay picnic defence posted:

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten will announce plans on Saturday to change negative gearing and the capital gains tax discount if Labor wins the next federal election.

The key measures are:

Negative gearing to be restricted to "newly constructed homes"
Capital gains tax discount reduced from 50 per cent to 25 per cent
Both measures would come into force from July 2017
All existing investments under the scheme would be fully "grandfathered" and protected against the changes

Under costings released from the Parliamentary Budget Office, the measures could save the budget $32.1 billion over 10 years once they come into force.

Mr Shorten will unveil the plans at the NSW Labor conference in Sydney, in what he claims will be the "most important structural reform in a decade".

He will tell the conference the plan will help "level the playing field" by targeting what he calls are "entrenched" tax subsidies.

"We will put the great Australian dream back within reach of working and middle-class Australians, who have been priced out of the market for too long," Mr Shorten will say, in a pre-prepared speech provided to the ABC.

"Our new economic policy will encourage the building of thousands of new homes every year and increasing housing supply, it will help lower costs for renters and it will return the Commonwealth budget to a sustainable foundation."

Mr Shorten will promise existing investors who access negative gearing will be "no worse off" and there would be no changes to the capital gains tax rules on existing assets, including the family home.

Investments made by superannuation funds would not be affected under changes to capital gains tax, with the discount for small business assets to remain unchanged.

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said the reform would put first home owners and buyers "on a more level playing field".

Mr Bowen told Channel Nine that current investors would also be protected from the changes.

"Every single investor who's already got an investment will have that grandfathered," he said.

"We do have a housing affordability crisis in Australia ... We need to make sure that negative gearing will remain, but that it is fair and that it is sustainable."

Mr Bowen said Labor wanted to "take the heat" out of the housing market and help create jobs by shifting the focus onto new homes.

Figures from the McKell Institute suggest up to 25,000 new jobs could be created in construction each year if the changes to negative gearing increased the number of new homes and apartments being built.

Under figures from the Parliamentary Budget Office, the savings would be minimal for the first financial year, at $15 million in 2017-18 but quickly increase to $580 million in 2018-19.

The Federal Government in recent weeks has indicated it is also looking at negative gearing as part of its overhaul of the tax system.

Superannuation tax concessions could also be in the mix, although the Coalition has begun backing away from the prospect of a hike in the GST.

A step in the right direction? The grandfathering seems a bit over the top but is probably needed to stop too many investors dumping their poo poo at the same time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*vomits on voting ballot, scratches arse*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Gotta grandfather so those politicians can still expand their property portfolio.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Periphery posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-13/bill-shorten-negative-gearing-capital-gains-tax-plans/7165462

A step in the right direction? The grandfathering seems a bit over the top but is probably needed to stop too many investors dumping their poo poo at the same time.

A policy a party puts into action when in power is a policy they stand for. A policy that sounds good on paper and is never going to become reality is bullshit. Politicians should literally be killed if their core promises aren't kept after election. If you don't care about it enough to put your life on the line then shut the gently caress up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

A policy a party puts into action when in power is a policy they stand for. A policy that sounds good on paper and is never going to become reality is bullshit. Politicians should literally be killed if their core promises aren't kept after election. If you don't care about it enough to put your life on the line then shut the gently caress up.

"Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten will announce plans on Saturday to change negative gearing and the capital gains tax discount if Labor wins the next federal election."

Guaranteed they will never ever have to make good on this.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

May I remind you:

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce. This is the man who puts the gently caress into fuckup. He's only been in the job a day and he's already dropped a clanger. He has a huge track record of saying stupid poo poo and it looks like there are some other Nats on their way into the cabinet clown car. Turdball also has to stand in the mess that is ~his~ NBN implementation. That all spells a recipe for Red Nose day to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Stuart Robert was, until recently, not a face the public knew, let alone hated.

I guarantee you Turnbull would much prefer to not have to continually reshuffle based on ministers resigning in scandal.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Cartoon posted:

Turdball also has to stand in the mess that is ~his~ NBN implementation.
I don't know how you can call it a mess. It protects Telstra's share price by guaranteeing revenue until the end of time, and also gives Foxtel a a very healthy ROI on its infrastructure sunk costs. What more could you ask for from a government infrastructure programme?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Any bullshit Bananaby does is "An internal matter for the National Party"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

"[s posted:

Leaked Captain Planet script[/s] the SMH"]A prized $120 million CSIRO ship built to study marine science has been hired out to international energy giants Chevron and BP to help them search for oil and gas in the Great Australian Bight.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

It's science!

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Now that is some Innovation.

Clearly an agile approach in action, mr speaker.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Periphery posted:

So this means even more urban sprawl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Any bullshit Bananaby does is "An internal matter for the National Party"

Banalaby

Oil going up uP UP!

• Locked thread