Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sadly I can predict how this is going to work....the state is going to continue to have problems because of the budget problems, people will now blame the Democratic governor, and will then elect a Republican in 4 years because the Dem had to clean up the mess the GOP left.

This is basically what will happen. He'll have 4 years of just trying to wade in poo poo without being drowned, the entire state will be like " Look how bad the Democrats hosed things up for us" and vote Republican.

It's almost like it's a Republican tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

so is Hillary vs. Bernie chat frowned upon in here or something goddamn

Obama is obviously too much of a centrist, and looks like Hillary is still peddling how great he is based on that PBS debate. Good strategy? not sure. the most obvious problem here is Hillary's advocacy of the ACA which forces people to buy high deductible junk and funnel their money over to brokers, general agents, and insurance companies with costs that aren't even prevented from skyrocketing. Yeah, gently caress Hillary I'm sure Hillary is a nice lady but I think we can be bolder on issues and not settle for mediocrity

To add a bit to the other replies: This thread is meant for discussion of general political happenings, the primaries were given their own threads because discussing them in depth here would drown out any discussion of what horrible thing Bumblefuck State Legislature did today.

And also yes, primary chat inevitably spirals into a never-ending pile of YCS posts (the acronym, not the subforum).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Probably because they're deeply insecure and authoritarian and so they need to feel that they always have their children under their thumb so they can control them better.

Smarter than you = losing control = fear and anxiety

Reminder that something very similar to this is literally a campaign plank of the Texas GOP.

quote:

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the students fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Moktaro posted:

To add a bit to the other replies: This thread is meant for discussion of general political happenings, the primaries were given their own threads because discussing them in depth here would drown out any discussion of what horrible thing Bumblefuck State Legislature did today.

And also yes, primary chat inevitably spirals into a never-ending pile of YCS posts (the acronym, not the subforum).

I've personally never minded discussion of primary news per se, but the problem is that it so often devolves into a discussion of the general merits/platforms of the candidates.

Combine this with the liberal lean of D&D, and you tend to get horrible Hillary vs. Bernie debates that spin in circles forever without bringing anything substantially new to the table and which, as mentioned, drown out any other discussion.

Republican primary news, in contrast, rarely gets as heated because pretty much no one here defends any of them.

EDIT: I feel like I should mention that my "Hillary Corner" part of the monthly OP was always meant to mock the conservative media's unceasing onslaught of poorly sourced anti-Hillary hit pieces dating to the early 90s, and not as a true slam on her candidacy. Not that I think people took it seriously but w/e.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 13, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DemeaninDemon posted:

In regards to stupid parents: it's perfectly OK in Idaho to use faith healing. Children die because praying doesn't do poo poo to diabetes or even food poisoning.

Here's an OK story about it

“Children do die,” said state Rep. Christy Perry (R-Nampa) last year. “I’m not trying to sound callous, but (reformers) want to act as if death is an anomaly. But it’s not — it’s a way of life.”

What you want to bet this human garbage is anti-abortion? If there's a hell, I hope these bastards rot in it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I've personally never minded discussion of primary news per se, but the problem is that it so often devolves into a discussion of the general merits/platforms of the candidates.

Combine this with the liberal lean of D&D, and you tend to get horrible Hillary vs. Bernie debates that spin in circles forever without bringing anything substantially new to the table and which, as mentioned, drown out any other discussion.

Republican primary news, in contrast, rarely gets as heated because pretty much no one here defends any of them.

It's because both candidates and their platforms are basically the same. But some people reallllly want to pretend otherwise.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
There's this ABC special on with the mother of Dylan Klebold and it's really rubbing me the wrong way. Diane Sawyer's already asked the question "weren't you concerned when your son bought that long trenchcoat???" It's such a stupid question and instantly takes me back to that horrible 'trenchcoats/video games/Marilyn Manson makes kids violent' hysteria of that time period.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FourLeaf posted:

There's this ABC special on with the mother of Dylan Klebold and it's really rubbing me the wrong way. Diane Sawyer's already asked the question "weren't you concerned when your son bought that long trenchcoat???" It's such a stupid question and instantly takes me back to that horrible 'trenchcoats/video games/Marilyn Manson makes kids violent' hysteria of that time period.

Colmbine isn't even at a milestone anniversary this year. Why is this on?

Fake edit: she has some book out.

Edit: looking at the list of school shootings. The first real mass school shooting was in '91 and the next was '97 then Columbine happens and it seems to explode from there. I'm not counting the spree sniper or whatever he was from Texas in the '60s? I think.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 13, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Lotka Volterra posted:

“Children do die,” said state Rep. Christy Perry (R-Nampa) last year. “I’m not trying to sound callous, but (reformers) want to act as if death is an anomaly. But it’s not — it’s a way of life.”

What you want to bet this human garbage is anti-abortion? If there's a hell, I hope these bastards rot in it.

R-Nampa? You bet your rear end it's a pro-life poo poo stain. Nampa+politician almost guarantees right-wing gently caress stain.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

From two pages ago, but I'd like to highlight this again for those who haven't watched it yet. drat. Sticking around until the end is definitely worth it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Vagon posted:

From two pages ago, but I'd like to highlight this again for those who haven't watched it yet. drat. Sticking around until the end is definitely worth it.

"Baking bread is an inconvenience, being baked in an oven is persecution."

:drat:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

"Baking bread is an inconvenience, being baked in an oven is persecution."

:drat:

Yeah, as a religious person myself, I find it nauseating when conservatives claim they're being persecuted by...being required to not treat gay people like poo poo. Oh those poor, poor business owners. What an imposition that must be.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Majorian posted:

Yeah, as a religious person myself, I find it nauseating when conservatives claim they're being persecuted by...being required to not treat gay people like poo poo. Oh those poor, poor business owners. What an imposition that must be.

As a non religious business owner I would love to take on as much business from gay people as possible. It takes a real knuckle-dragging gently caress to go "These people want me to do a thing I do for money and they are going to PAY ME???" and get mad about it.

I went into my bank a few weeks ago to get some bank statements printed out for some tax stuff that needs to be taken care of. The main teller was preoccupied so one of the managers just tells me to come to his desk and he'll handle it there. We start chatting and he asks what business I'm in. I tell him marketing and we start talking about that and what other local businesses work with the bank and how they like to go to one another for services when they can. He tells me that he works part time at a bar and restaurant downtown on the weekends and that they're always looking for new ways to get their name out.

Turns out the guy works at a drag bar as a singer that is THE place to be for Sunday brunch. It's insanely popular here and one hell of a good time. Once he gets talking about this he tells me that there are a lot of gay and lesbian business owners that are constantly looking for people to work with that aren't twats about them being gay and that he would love to introduce me to them since I'm perfectly okay with it. So for someone to say they're being persecuted because they don't want to work with that group of people is insane. I cannot wrap my head around being in the middle of doing something that would make me money and go "welp they're gay. that means if I take their money I'll catch the gay" or whatever.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

They do

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trenchcoats are more a sign of your kid being a dweeb than a psycho killer.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Vagon posted:

He almost threw the mic on the ground. This Guy for Congress.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lemming posted:

The "number line poo poo" is so you can do the subtraction in your head instead of needing to write it out on paper. 427 minus 316 becomes "ok, take away 300, I get 127, then take away 10, I get 117, take away 6, I get 111." The point is to try to teach the "tricks" that people develop once they have a good understanding directly instead of just teaching the rote solution.

Edit: Also you should always be suspicious of yourself if "at a glance" something looks dumb, because that often will just mean you lack some key information that makes it not dumb. You probably aren't the only smart person in the world.

Genuinely curious:

Kids are too young, so I haven't dealt with this yet, and I get teaching the "tricks" in quickly getting approximation taking care of the larger digits first rather than starting with the ones and working it the other way, but what is the new process for, say 427 minus 336? Is it "take away 300, I get 127, take away -1, I get 1, take away 6?, get 1" What's the second step there, as taught now?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fix posted:

Genuinely curious:

Kids are too young, so I haven't dealt with this yet, and I get teaching the "tricks" in quickly getting approximation taking care of the larger digits first rather than starting with the ones and working it the other way, but what is the new process for, say 427 minus 336? Is it "take away 300, I get 127, take away -1, I get 1, take away 6?, get 1" What's the second step there, as taught now?

I'm not a teacher or anything, just a random idiot. I would assume it's the same order, 427 minus 300 is 127, then minus 30 is 97, then minus 6 is 91.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not unreasonable to just teach the number line to 20 and be done with it. Huh. I wonder if that's how they're doing it.

Fix fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 13, 2016

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I really like that common core problem as it teaches to think of math as a proof instead of a memorization exercise. Not sure what the problem is other then that's not how I learned math.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

lamentable dustman posted:

I really like that common core problem as it teaches to think of math as a proof instead of a memorization exercise. Not sure what the problem is other then that's not how I learned math.

That's an actual intergenerational problem when trying to supplement education, but otherwise I agree. Though the old style is still a proof, just in the other direction. The new method is better for approximation, to be sure, which has its merits. The answer is the same regardless, and the time to reach it is about the same once the method is learned.

Fix fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 13, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

As a non religious business owner I would love to take on as much business from gay people as possible. It takes a real knuckle-dragging gently caress to go "These people want me to do a thing I do for money and they are going to PAY ME???" and get mad about it.

I know, and it's not like the cake is going to be topped with Bacchanalian gay BDSM orgy scenes, complete with a little weeping Jesus figurine off to the side, trying to cover the eyes of shocked onlooking children. It's a loving wedding cake. The only difference is you put two grooms or brides at the top. You're not officiating their wedding. You're not giving a toast. You're not applying lube on the wedding night. You're baking a cake, and putting two men or two women on top. (if even that!)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jeb's in trouble. Here come W.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fix posted:

That's an actual intergenerational problem when trying to supplement education, but otherwise I agree. Though the old style is still a proof, just in the other direction. The new method is better for approximation, to be sure, which has its merits. The answer is the same regardless, and the time to reach it is about the same once the method is learned.

It's not about the correct answer. It's about the journey to getting it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mantis42 posted:

Trenchcoats are more a sign of your kid being a dweeb than a psycho killer.

Is Fashion Crime a gateway to violent crime? Fox reports tonight

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they teach the old-style adding/subtracting algorithm in addition to the new method anyhow?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Majorian posted:

I know, and it's not like the cake is going to be topped with Bacchanalian gay BDSM orgy scenes, complete with a little weeping Jesus figurine off to the side, trying to cover the eyes of shocked onlooking children.

I want this cake.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I know, and it's not like the cake is going to be topped with Bacchanalian gay BDSM orgy scenes, complete with a little weeping Jesus figurine off to the side, trying to cover the eyes of shocked onlooking children.

Well not if you don't ask for it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Does it really count as a gay wedding cake if that's not how it's topped?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they teach the old-style adding/subtracting algorithm in addition to the new method anyhow?

They sure as hell do!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

https://youtu.be/UIKGV2cTgqA

Anytime people my age, early thirties, start bitching about common core, I link this as a reminder that arguments about how to teach kids math have existed for 50-odd loving years. The idea that "this is how I learned it, this is how it should be taught" will never loving die.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
Could a straight couple getting married order a gay wedding cake?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Robviously posted:

https://youtu.be/UIKGV2cTgqA

Anytime people my age, early thirties, start bitching about common core, I link this as a reminder that arguments about how to teach kids math have existed for 50-odd loving years. The idea that "this is how I learned it, this is how it should be taught" will never loving die.

I'm just a little skeptical that after a couple thousand years of math education we've suddenly discovered a new way to teach it is so great it is worth removing or mitigating the ability of the parent to assist the "proper" way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xae posted:

I'm just a little skeptical that after a couple thousand years of math education we've suddenly discovered a new way to teach it is so great it is worth removing or mitigating the ability of the parent to assist the "proper" way.

It's only in the past 150-ish years that anyone outside of the top 1% has gotten math education.

flatpack flapjack
Aug 13, 2006

Satan destroys you // but Jesus puts you in a bowl and smokes you

Xae posted:

The dumbest thing about this post is when you assume that math pedagogy has somehow remained static for thousands of years.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just a little skeptical that after a couple thousand years of corporal discipline we've suddenly discovered a new way to teach so great it is worth removing or mitigating the ability of the parent to assist the "proper" way.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mrtillo posted:

The dumbest thing about this post is when you assume that math pedagogy has somehow remained static for thousands of years.

The dumbest thing about this post is that you assume things not talked about to avoid discussing the point. Despite it being a response to a post about how match teaching changed in the 70s and 80s.

So not even just assuming. Just outright lying to avoid the point.

Bravo.

The lesson of the last 50+ years of education is that parents are the most important part of a child's education. Except when it comes to math. Then gently caress 'em. We got new methods that are totally better than parental involvement.

Hey wait. Why aren't kids doing well in math?

CheesyDog posted:

I'm just a little skeptical that after a couple thousand years of corporal discipline we've suddenly discovered a new way to teach so great it is worth removing or mitigating the ability of the parent to assist the "proper" way.

:rolleyes:

Yes, "Old math" is literally identical to systemic child abuse.

Xae fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 13, 2016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's not about the correct answer. It's about the journey to getting it.

Yeah and that's why that Feynmann quote is doubly apt. There is only one correct answer, why worry about it, particularly if it's already known.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Xae posted:

The dumbest thing about this post is that you assume things not talked about to avoid discussing the point. Despite it being a response to a post about how match teaching changed in the 70s and 80s.

So not even just assuming. Just outright lying to avoid the point.

Bravo.

"Teaching" as we understand it didn't even exist until the late 19th or early 20th century. Universal education is a really recent phenomenon and it makes sense we would develop new methods as time went on. The method most of us learned just stuck around long enough for morons to think it's the only way to teach math.

And most parents don't have the education, let alone the time, to help their kids with school work past the age of 10 or 12 no matter the method. It's not that big of an issue.

Edit: Kids aren't doing well in math because of large class sizes, cultural obstacles to girls getting excited about the subject, and an overall lack of education resources. Not because mom and dad don't understand the new methodology.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xae posted:

Human psychology is an area of extremely active research and our understanding of how people learn has absolutely exploded in the last few decades. F-MRI scans didn't exist before 1990 after all.

Pedagogy as a result has really advanced significantly.

• Locked thread