Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Forest Thief Pud posted:

trusting the traitor character that's obviously evil and really makes no attempts to hide it.
I haven't beaten Bravely Default because I have trouble concentrating on one game for that long these days, but was this character the fairy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zereth posted:

I haven't beaten Bravely Default because I have trouble concentrating on one game for that long these days, but was this character the fairy?

Yes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

I also am just now remembering how Volition (or someone?) animated that Dead Alewives sketch about DnD with characters from Summoner and Red Faction and it was pretty great.

I think that was on the disc for Summoner 2 or something so it must have been Volition themselves.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think that was on the disc for Summoner 2 or something so it must have been Volition themselves.

It played after the credits in Summoner 1. Summoner 2 had that weird fake tourism advert.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Open world segments in RPGs are great. I just walked into an opera house and then got my entire party OHKOed by a dinosaur before even getting a turn.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

I personally can't stand the soundtrack in Legendia. It feels like generic orchestral stuff compared to the other games where the music seemed to fit perfectly.

i think the music in the other tales games is a lot blander, tbh. none of it's bad, and it all fits within the context of the games, but not much of it is stuff i'd really listen to outside of them. i found the ost in symphonia in particular kind of repetitive

and honestly i don't know how you can describe the music in legendia as generic orchestral stuff. it contains a lot more than just orchestral pieces, it dips into swingin' jazz, vocal tracks and even electronic music, and even the orchestral stuff is incredibly beautifully composed and diverse in style and emotion.

the same composer did some music for tales of zestiria, and i'd say he did some of the absolute best work on that soundtrack, too.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 13, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's kind of amazing, the difference in quality between the Shiina themes and the Sakuraba themes in Zestiria. Especially Zaveid's theme :allears:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

i think the music in the other tales games is a lot blander, tbh. none of it's bad, and it all fits within the context of the games, but not much of it is stuff i'd really listen to outside of them. i found the ost in symphonia in particular kind of repetitive

and honestly i don't know how you can describe the music in legendia as generic orchestral stuff. it contains a lot more than just orchestral pieces, it dips into swingin' jazz, vocal tracks and even electronic music, and even the orchestral stuff is incredibly beautifully composed and diverse in style and emotion.

the same composer did some music for tales of zestiria, and i'd say he did some of the absolute best work on that soundtrack, too.

It could just be me, but literally the only music I can remember from Legendia is the generic evil empire theme that played whenever one of the baddies was on screen and one of the vocal tracks featuring a woman just vocalizing way, way too loud. I don't think there were even any lyrics. I didn't care for Zestiria in general and can't remember any of the music from that one, really, either. In comparison, I still hum tunes from Abyss, Destiny and Vesperia despite having not played any of them in years.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

It could just be me, but literally the only music I can remember from Legendia is the generic evil empire theme that played whenever one of the baddies was on screen and one of the vocal tracks featuring a woman just vocalizing way, way too loud. I don't think there were even any lyrics. I didn't care for Zestiria in general and can't remember any of the music from that one, really, either. In comparison, I still hum tunes from Abyss, Destiny and Vesperia despite having not played any of them in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaiPg3tMEE

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Okay, I'll give you that. I remember the elemental temples or whatever all having pretty great music, but none of it was catchy enough for me to remember without being linked to it. I still stand by my opinion that Abyss, Destiny (the remake on PS2 in particular) and Vesperia had the best soundtracks.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Open world segments in RPGs are great. I just walked into an opera house and then got my entire party OHKOed by a dinosaur before even getting a turn.

Dunno if this was sarcastic but after playing through FF6 for the first time recently I actually really dug this. Going from the first phase of the game where everything is relatively railroaded and manageable to "whoops, just parachuted into a dungeon waaaaay out of my pay grade" was a cool vibe that I think really helped contribute to the tone of the setting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I am shocked. Shocked I say. :geno:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My favourite thing about this is how it wouldn't feel out of place in a Wild Arms game.

Really fit the cowboy hat aesthetic I had going with Sorey.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sakurazuka posted:

My favourite thing about this is how it wouldn't feel out of place in a Wild Arms game.

Really fit the cowboy hat aesthetic I had going with Sorey.

Zavied's Theme is also basically a Wild Arms boss theme so it owns.

Man, i really hope something comes out of that Wild Arms meeting between the Writer and Producer(?)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I miss Wild Arms. I prefer to consider the series to have ended with 3, its pinnacle. Everything after that has been too...twee. Like some kids show schlock.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dukerson posted:

Dunno if this was sarcastic but after playing through FF6 for the first time recently I actually really dug this. Going from the first phase of the game where everything is relatively railroaded and manageable to "whoops, just parachuted into a dungeon waaaaay out of my pay grade" was a cool vibe that I think really helped contribute to the tone of the setting.

I was not being sarcastic. I legit love it

I beat that stupid dinosaur with a bit of planning despite my lack of levels

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mycot posted:

The ironic thing is that Sonic games are usually the best example of "but at least the soundtrack's good".

the official reason is that they had a whole remix-based soundtrack lined up but then found out a few weeks before pressing that they didnt have the rights

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I miss Wild Arms. I prefer to consider the series to have ended with 3, its pinnacle. Everything after that has been too...twee. Like some kids show schlock.

I'll grant you 5. 4 is like the most depressing jrpg ever made and ends on the downest downer.

It's also a loving garbage video game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Imagine an HD WA2 remake with the original WA2 script, voice acted. Imagine it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Imagine a Wild Arms 2 HD with the script re-translated for everyone except Liz and Ard. The optimal outcome.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
More MMORPG than RPG, but the upcoming patch from FFXIV features many references to FFVI including a remix of one of the best boss battle themes from the game at the very beginning of the trailer. I'm quite hyped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZET2yYZLN8

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Verranicus posted:

More MMORPG than RPG, but the upcoming patch from FFXIV features many references to FFVI including a remix of one of the best boss battle themes from the game at the very beginning of the trailer. I'm quite hyped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZET2yYZLN8

CalcoFREAKINGBRINAOMG!!!

I need to get my fiance a nice enough computer to run FFXIV and then I need to start playing it again.

With her, of course.

I'll tell her it'll be good for our relationship. Yeah.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Getsuya posted:

CalcoFREAKINGBRINAOMG!!!

I need to get my fiance a nice enough computer to run FFXIV and then I need to start playing it again.

With her, of course.

I'll tell her it'll be good for our relationship. Yeah.

My wife and I play together and she enjoys playing pretty princess dressup, use that to lure your fiance in.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Guess I'll resub, I can't resist Hilde.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm glad Alexander is getting a combining sentai robot boss addition.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Who the gently caress thought the cultist tower was a good idea in FF6

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Who the gently caress thought the cultist tower was a good idea in FF6

Just grab the Moogle Charm and run to the top.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have reflect and float cast on your party by whatever means necessary also some combinations of gear can boost you MDef over 100%. Enemies die when they lose all their magic points so you can Osmose them to death while topping up your own.

Alternatively:

ImpAtom posted:

Just grab the Moogle Charm and run to the top.

The boss at the top is pretty tough though, you'll need either Life3 or enough HP to survive the Ultima he casts upon death. His gimmick is that his elemental weakness changes all the time but if you can get Berserk to stick on him he won't be able to change it anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I've been doing reflect+float and rasped the boss to death. It's just endlessly tedious and slow.

I'm doing these sidequests as I come across them instead of in any intelligent order so I don't have Mog yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

The boss at the top is pretty tough though, you'll need either Life3 or enough HP to survive the Ultima he casts upon death. His gimmick is that his elemental weakness changes all the time but if you can get Berserk to stick on him he won't be able to change it anymore.

Or equip Force Armor + Force Shield + Mystery Veil on either Celes or Terra :getin:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Or summon Palidor (all characters jump) when he's low on HP, you'll survive if somebody is still in the air! :eng101:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Holy poo poo, I just hit the part in Soul Nomad about the merchant guy and his 'daughters'. WTF. I guess folks said this game was a bit more serious and dark than other Nippon Ichi stuff but I definitely wasn't expecting that little twist. Jeez.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Or equip Force Armor + Force Shield + Mystery Veil on either Celes or Terra :getin:

I thought Ultima was unblockable though?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Last Celebration posted:

I thought Ultima was unblockable though?
Yeah, and it ignores defense, so Shell and Magic Defense won't help.

This is why Quasar is the bane of FF6 LLGs even though it's very weak, it has the same unblockable-ignores-defense property as Ultima so it kills you just as dead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Really? I swear I've dodged it before. Well, if I haven't, you can still tank it :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Really? I swear I've dodged it before. Well, if I haven't, you can still tank it :v:

Except it's an auto 9999. Would be over 12k damage if it weren't for the cap.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol that Praline is the most dangerous part of the ch 8 boss refights by a gigantic margin

oh nm i got to the next one and everyone dies on the second turn no matter what

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 14, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dis astranagant posted:

Except it's an auto 9999. Would be over 12k damage if it weren't for the cap.

Magimaster's Ultima never does 9999, it usually tops off at around 4000, which is still a significant amount but not unsurvivable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Magimaster's Ultima never does 9999, it usually tops off at around 4000, which is still a significant amount but not unsurvivable.

I have just fought it and had it do 9999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
While being a bit non-plussed with the game as a whole, the Undertale dates were funny as hell. Also the final set of tunes, plus the Pacifist ending and themes were great.

The backstory expositional encounters felt a tad artless but overall, great little game.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 14, 2016