Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The belts frequently break when they run here in Denver because they crank the boost up to try and get back the lost atmosphere. When a belt gets thrown off far enough that a spectator could grab it, the announcer has to remind everyone to leave it the gently caress alone because it was just transmitting over 800HP through it and it's more than hot enough to badly burn your hands before your brain tells you to drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Or it goes flying off and kills somebody. This awesome guy used to bring his car to my shop and knew my boss. He stopped showing up and turns out the belt snapped and killed him because he was standing in just the right spot. Rip cool dude with a blown camro/firebird thing.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Would that count as some sort of extreme form of charge cooling? Since as it vaporizes it should cool down the charge to prevent the knocking hand of god.

Nitromethane also has like twice the latent heat of vaporization that gas does as well. I'm pretty sure I remember reading in an old Hot Rod or something that this is the main way dragster engines stay cool enough to run for the brief amount of time that they do, since they don't have (functional) coolant passages.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Don't forget that it also works as a high explosive with more energy than TNT, although it does have a slower velocity of detonation. Nobody knew this until a railcar of the stuff went off in 1958, likely due to water hammer.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Enourmo posted:

Pretty much, it produces bigger explosions because needing less air means you can fill your cylinder up with more fuel. Top Fuel engines are basically running right on the edge of hydrolock at full throttle. Since nitro contains its own oxygen, you can even go beyond the already-ridiculous stoichiometric point and run uber-hyper-mega rich, with basically just enough air to have something to compress on the stroke and not blow the heads off (and that even happens!).

And I'm not exaggerating, here's one fuel injector for one cylinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

It's one thing to know the theory and engineering and numbers behind what it takes to make those engines work. When you actually get to see it though... :catstare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

More evidence that the wrong superpower failed. A soviet car show in 1987

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

More evidence that the wrong superpower failed. A soviet car show in 1987

... but underneath, they were all Ladas. Or tractors, but I repeat myself.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Darchangel posted:

... but underneath, they were all Ladas. Or tractors, but I repeat myself.

So they were all technically fiats? A country with a glorious bounty of italian cars, not sure I have any issues with that.

Besides Lada pioneered groundbreaking technology like aluminum brake drums. You certainly don't see anything that radical on boring western cars.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I don't know what #18 is, with that rad as hell forward tilting cockpit, but it owns.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

I don't know what #18 is, with that rad as hell forward tilting cockpit, but it owns.

Apparently it's a Pangolina 444GT. Looks to be a concept car (no poo poo).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Were any of those production vehicles or were they all concepts/customized by owner? The build quality looks even worse than expected and the styling is at least 10 years latent.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Despite being a RAV4 I think this is the right thread.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
_because_ it's a rav-4 this is the right thread

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You get me :allears:

That change to nitro puts a big dumb smile on my face every time I watch that video.

I'm the greybeard warlock tuning a nitro engine by sense of touch

speaking of voodoo witchcraft, who wants to keep this one running? not me

Raluek posted:

I don't think I've seen a SBC nitro drag car before. How many of them are not-HEMIs?

lots

Ford SOHC "Cammer"

McGee Quad Cam

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Would that count as some sort of extreme form of charge cooling? Since as it vaporizes it should cool down the charge to prevent the knocking hand of god.

If so then I think irs mandatory for the immense boost those superchargers must make. Also i thought they'd use crank driven instead of belt drive superchargers.

The only cooling a nitro car gets is via the nitromethane fuel. When you see smoke coming out of the exhaust during a run, it's not smoke but a cloud of unburned nitro. Works the same as tear gas if you are close to it, fun stuff.

This video is an excellent breakdown of a Top Fuel Dragster. Funny Car is for all intents and purposes the same.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 14, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

VikingSkull posted:

I'm the greybeard warlock tuning a nitro engine by sense of touch

speaking of voodoo witchcraft, who wants to keep this one running? not me

I'd imagine it would be easier, if anything, to run than a blower car--at least with modern turbochargers and ECUs. Less heat, no parasitic loss, actual tunable boost levels, and probably easier on the tires too. It would likely let you run less nitromethane for the same power levels, and that would help with longevity.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop

MetaJew posted:

Despite being a RAV4 I think this is the right thread.

So i see you were at POWMOW this weekend. Saw the same vehicle as the guy got in it and tooled up the snowpack to his house. Should throw those on my R and see what it does haha.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

1500quidporsche posted:

So they were all technically fiats? A country with a glorious bounty of italian cars, not sure I have any issues with that.

Besides Lada pioneered groundbreaking technology like aluminum brake drums. You certainly don't see anything that radical on boring western cars.

I mean they built the same exact car virtually unchanged for 40 years and made something like 14 million of them. They still make em in Egypt. Its amazing that in 2005 you could buy a brand new car that still had a choke.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

VikingSkull posted:

Ford SOHC "Cammer"

Wait, how do you even fit in one of those? Looks like you'd be getting rather intimate with the diff.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Delivery McGee posted:

Wait, how do you even fit in one of those? Looks like you'd be getting rather intimate with the diff.

many did
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_engine_dragster

quote:

The driver sits angled backward, over the top of the differential in a cockpit situated between the two rear tires, a design originating with Mickey Thompson in 1954, as a way of improving traction. This position led to many drivers being maimed when catastrophic clutch failures occurred.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
That pedal owns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drive with a diff snuggling your balls and a clutch between your feet: not even once.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

From the same page:

quote:

The rail was supplanted by the rear-engined car now standard when Don Garlits introduced Swamp Rat XIV in 1971. He designed the car while in hospital, himself suffering from severe injuries caused by an exploding clutch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Just strap me to the front of a rocket sled. I'm sure it's faster and safer too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VikingSkull posted:

Ford SOHC "Cammer"

Looks like Snake in the seat for that one. Those Ford Cammers were the poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wallaka posted:

I'd imagine it would be easier, if anything, to run than a blower car--at least with modern turbochargers and ECUs. Less heat, no parasitic loss, actual tunable boost levels, and probably easier on the tires too. It would likely let you run less nitromethane for the same power levels, and that would help with longevity.

there's not a transistor anywhere on that car, that poo poo is 100% mechanical

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Looks like Snake in the seat for that one. Those Ford Cammers were the poo poo.

Yup, that's Snake.

Speaking of, here's the Snake's take on front engine dragsters

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5zmOhxLGzc

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I saw this rare gem on the road yesterday. Not often you see these anymore even in non-turbo form. It was a Voyager if I recall.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BoostCreep posted:

I saw this rare gem on the road yesterday. Not often you see these anymore even in non-turbo form. It was a Voyager if I recall.

it would have to be for what its carrying. Also the shag carpet on the dash is a neat throwback as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoiWpJLokEc

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Here I was, scrolling down and trying to picture a 944 with louvers.

:flashfap:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
As AIs louver super fan, those are pretty terrible louvers.

Not as bad as a cavalier with louvers, however.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Months later, still no transmission. They did weld a lot more tubes though!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, the only way to salvage a cavalier of that generation is to send it to a scrap yard.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That EL display. :fap:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That is the kinda dash I want in a car, not this babby touchscreen bollocks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love mechanical buttons because you can identify them by touch, but that panel in particular fails because the dials are too small to use when you have gloves on. :colbert:

loving love the dash mounted fuses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Boost dial is my favorite.