Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I know the kid's of Japanese descent but crudely depicting him as an anime seems a bit beyond the pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shakenbaker posted:

Didn't really peg David for being that ripped.

It's probably the way the suicide blanket thing is puffing out. It's made very stiff so it can't be rolled up into a noose.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Saw it in the GBS thread on the subject. Dudes got in an argument over guns and BLAM

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If it were anyone else, I'd think they were trying to goad such a response but from all the Sov Cit videos I've seen it really seems like the LEOs getting tired of their poo poo tends to be a complete surprise for the majority. The idiot will keep smugly stating painfully stupid lines at the cop or judge out of a mixture of arrogance that they know the laws better than the people who's job involves said laws and bluffing (I wouldn't be surprised if Sov Cit propaganda places value on never showing weakness, because that's when the judge gits ya). And it continues right up to the moment where they find that the taser pointed at their chest for the past 30 seconds as they were told to shut up was not just for show. Afterwards they react with confusion and shock at how the judge or cop cheated or lied to them. Obviously their magic words should have worked, that means the entire system is corrupt and cheating and not that I'm a moron who refuses to accept the giant mountain of evidence the world doesn't work the way I imagine it does. :qq:

So while the end result is a perfect textbook definition of "insurgency provoking over-reaction from authority" they seem to legitimately not expect that reaction and expect their BS to work...and when it doesn't they then post a video with 5+ minutes of them screaming at the judge and holding up the entire court without any self-awareness of how reasonable and calm it makes the judge look that they didn't get tased any sooner. Or a video of them turning a stop because of an out of date vehicle inspection ticket that turns goes from just having to show up and pay the $20 fine at the DMV some time in the next couple of weeks to getting pulled out of the car and arrested by a justifiably pissed cop.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alkydere posted:

And it continues right up to the moment where they find that the taser pointed at their chest for the past 30 seconds as they were told to shut up was not just for show. Afterwards they react with confusion and shock

:haw:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Perfectly Safe posted:

to keep pushing their second amendment rights, say, until the government feels that it's a problem that has to be dealt with and has a stab at proper gun control

Won't happen. for one, these people are a rather small demographic that's vastly outshined in gun violence by inner city crime. Two, the spectrum is so polarized on the gun control thing that the middle area has to go with the fringe of their side to prevent the other side from pushing through whatever they have going. We simply can't have moderates sit down and figure out what the freedom/limit ratio is because even if they do, the fringe go ballistic on either end and will either turn their noses up at it for going too far or not far enough. Keep in mind when it comes to gun control the "fringe" is a much different demographic than political fringe because it is a passionate subject on either side.
After all, we've seen it here before where the moderates worked out a plan that would work and the crazies demanded it was too much or wasn't enough so it all had to be scrapped.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That's flat-out Insugency 101: insurgents commit provocative acts to lure the government into brutally overreacting, leading the population to sympathize with the rebels and mistrust the government.

I was going to find some authoritative quote, but poo poo if you just google "insurgency provoke over reaction" you get a zillion hits all identifying that as a core method for guerrrilla movements.

Ok, but the question is to what degree, if any, they're conciously trying to create a situation in which they are oppressed so that they can fight against it. The normal revolutionary model tends to have an existent degree of oppression to be fought. In this case, the oppression is almost entirely imaginary. Are they on some level trying to create a system of oppression by acting in such a way as to make more surveillance/more restrictions on firearm ownership/more powers for LEOs appear reasonable and prudent? And therefore have something more concrete to fight against? I was responding to this quote from SocketWrench:

quote:

Personally it leaves me conflicted. I want the government to crack down on these fruit loops to put a stop to this bullshit before someone else gets hurt or their life destroyed by some nut but if they do it just feeds the sov citizen mantra and violates a rather important right.

Sovcits, through their behaviour, create situations in which their imagined oppression is more likely to actually come into being. Is this an intentional consequence? Do sovcits want to be oppressed so that they can live out a revolutionary hero fantasy so much that they will do what they can to create an oppressive system?

Alkydere posted:

If it were anyone else, I'd think they were trying to goad such a response but from all the Sov Cit videos I've seen it really seems like the LEOs getting tired of their poo poo tends to be a complete surprise for the majority. The idiot will keep smugly stating painfully stupid lines at the cop or judge out of a mixture of arrogance that they know the laws better than the people who's job involves said laws and bluffing (I wouldn't be surprised if Sov Cit propaganda places value on never showing weakness, because that's when the judge gits ya). And it continues right up to the moment where they find that the taser pointed at their chest for the past 30 seconds as they were told to shut up was not just for show. Afterwards they react with confusion and shock at how the judge or cop cheated or lied to them. Obviously their magic words should have worked, that means the entire system is corrupt and cheating and not that I'm a moron who refuses to accept the giant mountain of evidence the world doesn't work the way I imagine it does. :qq:

So while the end result is a perfect textbook definition of "insurgency provoking over-reaction from authority" they seem to legitimately not expect that reaction and expect their BS to work...and when it doesn't they then post a video with 5+ minutes of them screaming at the judge and holding up the entire court without any self-awareness of how reasonable and calm it makes the judge look that they didn't get tased any sooner. Or a video of them turning a stop because of an out of date vehicle inspection ticket that turns goes from just having to show up and pay the $20 fine at the DMV some time in the next couple of weeks to getting pulled out of the car and arrested by a justifiably pissed cop.

I think you're probably right. The litmus test here is the business with the sovcit sheriff and with Fiore. On both occasions, it looked like they'd been flipped by the feds and had led key people into a position in which they could be arrested. And, in both cases, it turns out that everyone involved just lacked any forethought and had a slippery grasp upon the general concept of consequences.

I don't know how self-selecting the youtube clip selection is, on the other hand. It's extraordinary to think that the people in the sovcit videos posted them on youtube themselves in the belief that they look like the good guys. I do wonder if there are sovcits with sufficient self-awareness to not post their humiliating defeats online.

e:

SocketWrench posted:

Won't happen. for one, these people are a rather small demographic that's vastly outshined in gun violence by inner city crime. Two, the spectrum is so polarized on the gun control thing that the middle area has to go with the fringe of their side to prevent the other side from pushing through whatever they have going. We simply can't have moderates sit down and figure out what the freedom/limit ratio is because even if they do, the fringe go ballistic on either end and will either turn their noses up at it for going too far or not far enough. Keep in mind when it comes to gun control the "fringe" is a much different demographic than political fringe because it is a passionate subject on either side.
After all, we've seen it here before where the moderates worked out a plan that would work and the crazies demanded it was too much or wasn't enough so it all had to be scrapped.

And yet gun control does take place, doesn't it? The NY SAFE act, for example.

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 15, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Perfectly Safe posted:

Sovcits, through their behaviour, create situations in which their imagined oppression is more likely to actually come into being. Is this an intentional consequence? Do sovcits want to be oppressed so that they can live out a revolutionary hero fantasy so much that they will do what they can to create an oppressive system?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

'xactly.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Perfectly Safe posted:

Ok, but the question is to what degree, if any, they're conciously trying to create a situation in which they are oppressed so that they can fight against it. The normal revolutionary model tends to have an existent degree of oppression to be fought. In this case, the oppression is almost entirely imaginary. Are they on some level trying to create a system of oppression by acting in such a way as to make more surveillance/more restrictions on firearm ownership/more powers for LEOs appear reasonable and prudent? And therefore have something more concrete to fight against?

You're probably overthinking this. These people (really) aren't that smart. They actually believed they were going to be gunned down by the oppressive state at any moment and were stunned, over and over again, when it didn't happen.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 15, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

So while the end result is a perfect textbook definition of "insurgency provoking over-reaction from authority" they seem to legitimately not expect that reaction and expect their BS to work...and when it doesn't they then post a video with 5+ minutes of them screaming at the judge and holding up the entire court without any self-awareness of how reasonable and calm it makes the judge look that they didn't get tased any sooner.

Usual caveat here that though the Venn diagram of SovCits and Bundyites has plenty of overlap, they aren't exact equivalents.

But it's definitely a fair question as to which of their activities are full on Babby's First Che Guevara insurgency techniques, and which just end up looking like it.

Their compulsion to film things seems to have some smattering of the "let's catch the jackbooted thugs as they stomp on us and make us martyrs", but in fairness is also mixed in with the goals of *preventing* government oppression (in the Occupy-ish "the whole world is watching" sense, cops-with-bodycams sense), or just a simple propaganda method to stir up support. From what I gather, some of them did talk a lot on camera about how they as the first wave would surely be killed for "didn't do nuthin'" and their deaths would inspire others to rise up.

Their use of human shields, particularly at the original Bundy Ranch showdown, does look to be a much more straightforward attempt to trick the government into overreaction, since they appeared to seriously believe that the government would mow them down, with women and kids in front, and the survivors could pop it all on YouTube as undeniable evidence of government perfidy.

This is partially why they talk about Ruby Ridge so much: however you slice it, "fed sniper shoots mother cradling baby in her arms" is just horrendous optics, so they've really seized on that as a way to make the feds out to be comic book villains.

I'll be very curious to see whether they manage, in the bigger 6-12-18 months picture, to get much mileage out of Tarpman's death, or if it's just not that compelling of a story once the initial excitement dies down. Waco and Ruby Ridge still get widely cited 20+ years later, I'm not convinced Tarpman's tale will have anything resembling that kind of staying power.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sweevo posted:

This is a good read, thanks.

One thing: Ryan Payne is mentioned several times, but is missing from the list of participants at the beginning.

Whoops! I'll add him in.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Mercury_Storm posted:

You're probably overthinking this. These people (really) aren't that smart. They actually believed they were going to be gunned down by the oppressive state at any moment and were stunned, over and over again, when it didn't happen.

Eh, I grew up around this sort of crowd. Hyper-right wing, mass-collection of guns, ultra-out there Christian (holy roller kinda stuff), and not a week would go by where they weren't spinning and twisting everything as being a direct assault upon their beliefs. Persecution Complex is just too light of a phrase. It was always "the government funds Planned Parenthood to directly challenge the established Christian faith" or "mark my words SuchandSuch Liberal candidate was hand selected because they will bring back the persecutions of Christians. Give it four years and they'll be burning us in sports arenas like they did in Rome" and on and on. Every single thing they disagreed with was spun as how it was a DIRECT assault on their way of thinking, and frequent discussions on how to counter it, with a side order of taking these perceived attacks and screaming on every forum, meeting and poor supermarket checker they could talk to.

There's a fervent belief that goes beyond any critical thinking or rationality and it's disturbing to know I've known people that were just as capable as all of this but lacked the opportunity to do such.

It's entirely automatic and ingrained into a certain group of people. It's not like they sit around and think "okay, how can we take the HORRIFIC notion of funding schools and turn it to our cause". There's a direct belief that they Are Under Assault and act accordingly.

I have little doubt that this group will push for a trial despite a plea being their best bet. They'll take every opportunity to show just how corrupt they see the government to be, how they're being paraded around for believing what they believe. It's the most public forum possible now, and in their eyes being martyred in court is just as good as being martyred with a gun during the occupation.

It's honestly really disturbing to me to see all this play out. I thought that the group I'd grown up with had been insular, a fringe of a fringe that was just truly nutty but at least it wasn't outside that little circle. I was so absurdly wrong.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

David Fry is an FBI plant art history lecturer who collects woven wall hangings.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Perfectly Safe posted:

I think is this just a result of the poor conflict resolution skills which lead them to the Sovcit ideology in the first place. They heedlessly escalate conflicts because the only options they see is bully and pleading, the basic domination and submission. They don't grasp the framework of negotiation and compromise that the law is built on.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mortanis posted:

Eh, I grew up around this sort of crowd. Hyper-right wing, mass-collection of guns, ultra-out there Christian (holy roller kinda stuff), and not a week would go by where they weren't spinning and twisting everything as being a direct assault upon their beliefs. Persecution Complex is just too light of a phrase. It was always "the government funds Planned Parenthood to directly challenge the established Christian faith" or "mark my words SuchandSuch Liberal candidate was hand selected because they will bring back the persecutions of Christians. Give it four years and they'll be burning us in sports arenas like they did in Rome" and on and on. Every single thing they disagreed with was spun as how it was a DIRECT assault on their way of thinking, and frequent discussions on how to counter it, with a side order of taking these perceived attacks and screaming on every forum, meeting and poor supermarket checker they could talk to.

There's a fervent belief that goes beyond any critical thinking or rationality and it's disturbing to know I've known people that were just as capable as all of this but lacked the opportunity to do such.

It's entirely automatic and ingrained into a certain group of people. It's not like they sit around and think "okay, how can we take the HORRIFIC notion of funding schools and turn it to our cause". There's a direct belief that they Are Under Assault and act accordingly.

I have little doubt that this group will push for a trial despite a plea being their best bet. They'll take every opportunity to show just how corrupt they see the government to be, how they're being paraded around for believing what they believe. It's the most public forum possible now, and in their eyes being martyred in court is just as good as being martyred with a gun during the occupation.

It's honestly really disturbing to me to see all this play out. I thought that the group I'd grown up with had been insular, a fringe of a fringe that was just truly nutty but at least it wasn't outside that little circle. I was so absurdly wrong.

Yeah I grew up around the same or a similar group of people, and the persecution complex is seemingly central to their very existence. They need some sort of battle to be fought, whether it's against an imaginary oppressive government, or literally spirits (biblical angels and demons) fighting in another dimension for/against their livelihood.

As for the people who were on the wildlife reserve, they seemed like they were kind of trying some sort of halfhearted effort to stick it to The Man and show how oppressed they were (writing "Camp Finnicum" on their tarp tent with a cross, heh). But if it there was an actual conscious plan, it was a really bad one and was poorly adhered to. If there's one thing we can be thankful for, at least, is that these sorts of outbursts don't really connect with people outside their dwindling group.

Check out this thread if you haven't already, it deals with these types in great detail: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 15, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I'm picturing him standing in front of his closet in the morning thinging "no, I probably don't need to wear a shirt with sleeves for this federal court appearance".

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

withak posted:

I'm picturing him standing in front of his closet in the morning thinging "no, I probably don't need to wear a shirt with sleeves for this federal court appearance".

It's a suicide prevention garment, which is like a rigid...tarp.

...My God.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

withak posted:

I think that's David Fry and his suicide-proof suit. You can kill yourself with sleeves.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Perfectly Safe posted:

And yet gun control does take place, doesn't it? The NY SAFE act, for example.

And that was a rather WTF act that they went "oops" after they just sent it through and had to back up to look it over. There's some decent stuff in there, but there's some really poo poo gently caress what the hell in there too. I suppose ignoring any voices and just shoving stuff through could be a way to pass things, ridiculous as some of it is.

as for the sovcit creating issues. I don't think they do it purposely. It's just a version of Dunning-Kruger where they think they know the system better than the system and just end up causing more problems which leads to a sort of positive feedback loop. They get in more trouble, this is evidence they're right, so they fight more and get more trouble, on and on and on.
The difference being Santilli was just a loud mouthed coward. He was loud and daring when he knew nothing would happen. The moment a hint of backlash whiffed up though he'd run for the hills

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Annointed posted:

At least Fight Club was obvious in making fun of Macho mentality.

They probably would hate it for its anti capitalist views.

Though if they were literate enough they would probably appreciate Projects Mayhem's attempt of romantisizing the fall of civilization for rugged hunting

David Fry said some pretty anti-capitalist things during his last stand. Mostly anti-corporate/mass consumption stuff. He said a lot of things though, but I can definitely see how the roots of anti-capitalism are present within the minds of conspiracy nuts in general.

It is amazing that They Live wasn't adopted by that crowd. I imagine it would have been if they alien designs had not strayed so far from the short story (they were described as somewhat reptilian :v: ).

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Murderion posted:

David Fry is an FBI plant art history lecturer who collects woven wall hangings.

Bet he has a collection of nice wicker baskets, too

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Not that you were wondering what Gavin has been up to, but here's a video he's put out today talking about how the FBI/Police/Government try to assassinate "Patriots". He ties it into Lavoy's suicide by cop. And unsurprisingly the message is "Cops are going to try and kill you so carry your gun and be ready to use it". This was the guy "negotiating" with the last 4 at Malheur. It's amazing how this guy didn't get 4+ people killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn54XGqYN8Y

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

David Fry said some pretty anti-capitalist things during his last stand. Mostly anti-corporate/mass consumption stuff. He said a lot of things though, but I can definitely see how the roots of anti-capitalism are present within the minds of conspiracy nuts in general.

Part of the genius of modern capitalism is making people blame its failures on things other than capitalism itself.

Things like: the government, black people, Jews, UFOs, Mexicans, Muslims, regulation, lack of guns, Obama, Obama, Obama, Obama.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Does he recite a psalm in the video? He really, really wanted to that night.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Crain posted:

Not that you were wondering what Gavin has been up to, but here's a video he's put out today talking about how the FBI/Police/Government try to assassinate "Patriots". He ties it into Lavoy's suicide by cop. And unsurprisingly the message is "Cops are going to try and kill you so carry your gun and be ready to use it". This was the guy "negotiating" with the last 4 at Malheur. It's amazing how this guy didn't get 4+ people killed.

Because there is a difference between preaching something and practicing it. He's a coward and would never pull a gun on a police officer because he does not want to die. Those 4 idiots kept threatening to get themselves killed and he himself kept telling them not to. When poo poo hits the fan, these people piss themselves immediately when they realize the trouble their big mouths get themselves into. They are not even praising Tarpman for trying to go down swinging for crying out loud. They are insane.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

ToastyPotato posted:

When poo poo hits the fan, these people piss themselves immediately when they realize the trouble their big mouths get themselves into. They are not even praising Tarpman for trying to go down swinging for crying out loud. They are insane.

This is it, down to the core. I think on some fundamental level, by the end, they all realized how hosed they were, and how it was 100% their own fault. I remember listening to the radio show during that last night, and Fry kept screaming "IF YOU'D JUST LEAVE AND GO HOME THIS WOULD ALL BE OVER! WHY WON'T YOU JUST STOP THIS AND LEAVE?!" at the FBI. The sad, frantic way he said it made it feel like full-on projection. It made me kinda sad. :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

It is amazing that They Live wasn't adopted by that crowd. I imagine it would have been if they alien designs had not strayed so far from the short story (they were described as somewhat reptilian :v: ).

But that would mean having to intermingle with black people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Annointed posted:

But that would mean having to intermingle with black people.

Not before beating them into submission to see your point of view and making them "one of the good ones" :v: .

I should stop before I ruin one of my favorite movies. :smith:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Check out this thread if you haven't already, it deals with these types in great detail: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238

Yes but only if you view it as emulative and not descriptive, last time I checked in on that thread everyone was coming to the realization (as I predicted) they could use that framework to pathologize anyone they disagreed with, and I don't mean in the good sort of self-aware "maybe this is bad" way.

I'm not going to take credit for that being some sort of amazing prediction though, I thought it was about as insightful as standing on railroad tracks and predicting that a train would come through.

What you should check out is the wealth of scholarly work on group social dynamics and radicalization, much of which describes the same basic behavior as that thread, but without the made up vocabulary and extraneous narrative which allows you suppress your self awareness enough to otherize "the wrong sort of people" as pathological whenever they exhibit what is very common human social behavior.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
To put it with the mildest comparison possible, it's a lot like certain people and Christmas.

There's no such thing as a War on Christmas. No one gives a poo poo if you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. Yet there's a vocal contingent that FERVENTLY believe that there are "People" Hell-bent on stomping Christmas and thus Christ Himself into the ground. And they take every opportunity to tell you about how far the world has fallen because you CAN'T say Merry Christmas any more and go on about the assault that is being perpetrated on the Christian faith because of it. They lather themselves up into a huge frothing mess over this perceived attack on their beliefs and why can't you just see that this is persecution and the slow erosion of our God-Fearing Christian Nation and...

Only amplified by a million. It's an absurd comparison, but still one that works. They need to fight this very public battle because Fighting The Good Fight means they win, even if (when) they lose. They'll go down screaming because it gives them a very public forum and because it's the fight itself that matters, not so much the victory (getting rid of liberals/abortion/taxes would just be a side benefit).

The fact of the matter is they already think they've won despite all evidence to the contrary.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

They are not even praising Tarpman for trying to go down swinging for crying out loud. They are insane.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of weird. The narratives they put out there was at first, he was surrendering and on his knees. Then the video comes out and they all said he had his hands up and was shot. They never tried to make him into a real hero, martyr for the cause. One willing to kill and die for what he believed in. Ultimately the message was give up. I wonder what response they would have had if they just straight up said "yeah, he tried to run over and then take out his gun and shoot his oppressors." I bet more of the 'patriot' types would have been all over that. Heck maybe some would have headed out to the refuge.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ToastyPotato posted:

Because there is a difference between preaching something and practicing it. He's a coward and would never pull a gun on a police officer because he does not want to die. Those 4 idiots kept threatening to get themselves killed and he himself kept telling them not to. When poo poo hits the fan, these people piss themselves immediately when they realize the trouble their big mouths get themselves into. They are not even praising Tarpman for trying to go down swinging for crying out loud. They are insane.

I understand your point. But when not directly involved these people do release these threats into a vacuum.

When Gavin was on air he realized he could be held accountable for his incitement (which assumes he's not a true believer, otherwise it's just him being a coward). But then he releases this video that claims that the FBI and state police will and do lure members of the group he speaks for into assassination attempts. This video is incitement without the ability of Gavin to wise up and tell everyone who watches it "Nononono don't actually try and kill the police/feds".

EDIT: My point here being that these guys do sober up and realize that they're dealing with real people and not the monolithic "BIG BAD EVIL" they have made all parts of the federal system out to be when poo poo hits the fan, [b]and then immediately turn around and go back to calling for "patriots" to violently oppose the government with the implication that deadly force should be utilized. And that message goes out to thoroughly deranged people who wouldn't listen to a retraction even if it were available.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 15, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, I thought it was kind of weird. The narratives they put out there was at first, he was surrendering and on his knees. Then the video comes out and they all said he had his hands up and was shot. They never tried to make him into a real hero, martyr for the cause. One willing to kill and die for what he believed in. Ultimately the message was give up. I wonder what response they would have had if they just straight up said "yeah, he tried to run over and then take out his gun and shoot his oppressors." I bet more of the 'patriot' types would have been all over that. Heck maybe some would have headed out to the refuge.

The video spoke for itself, but all of those "patriots" still chose to interpret it in a way that had him be an innocent victim of murder. Once the video came out, the narrative being fed by the Bundy camp was irrelevant, but still no one stood up and spoke out, because poo poo got real and they realized that they probably weren't going to win any gun fights with the feds. Now that tons of people are getting arrested, I imagine they will go even more quiet.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jarmak posted:

very common human social behavior.

I'm not saying that thread has the perfect prescriptive analysis of the types of people it purports to analyze, but it is pretty drat accurate description of their behaviors. If you're trying to say that the extreme level of bullshit that happened on the reserve is common human behavior, however, I don't think anyone is going to agree.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

The video spoke for itself, but all of those "patriots" still chose to interpret it in a way that had him be an innocent victim of murder. Once the video came out, the narrative being fed by the Bundy camp was irrelevant, but still no one stood up and spoke out, because poo poo got real and they realized that they probably weren't going to win any gun fights with the feds. Now that tons of people are getting arrested, I imagine they will go even more quiet.

I suppose. I just wanted someone to have said "gently caress yeah, he was going for his gun." Not because I agree with it but it just seems like the most true interpretation of the situation and what they always dreamed of. Saying he was surrendering seems disingenuous and against what they were, up to that point, preaching. It's why they all had their guns. It's why they believe the 2nd amendment exists. To take down the tyrants. And when he seems to do that they all back away from that rhetoric. I mean I get it. If they do follow that line of reasoning it just shows how impotent there movement is. I know I'm not articulating it well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Ape of Naples posted:

I suppose. I just wanted someone to have said "gently caress yeah, he was going for his gun." Not because I agree with it but it just seems like the most true interpretation of the situation and what they always dreamed of. Saying he was surrendering seems disingenuous and against what they were, up to that point, preaching. It's why they all had their guns. It's why they believe the 2nd amendment exists. To take down the tyrants. And when he seems to do that they all back away from that rhetoric. I mean I get it. If they do follow that line of reasoning it just shows how impotent there movement is. I know I'm not articulating it well.

I think we are in complete agreement.

This whole event proved that all of their threats have been empty. One of them actually tried to make good on those threats and they immediately covered it up.

Their guns aren't for fighting government tyranny. Their guns are for intimidating people they disagree with. It is for intimidating liberals and minorities or whomever else they have a hard on for hating at the moment. But not the government. They will talk poo poo about the government behind its back, but when the government shows up, they start crying (literally) about how they just want to be left alone.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crain posted:

He tried his best to get them all killed, but even somebody as crazy as Frye saw that they were insane loving lunatics and mocked them instead

Tesseraction posted:

Part of the genius of modern capitalism is making people blame its failures on things other than capitalism itself.

Things like: the government, black people, Jews, UFOs, Mexicans, Muslims, regulation, lack of guns, Obama, Obama, Obama, Obama.

You forgot Barack "HUSSEIN" Obama

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm not saying that thread has the perfect prescriptive analysis of the types of people it purports to analyze, but it is pretty drat accurate description of their behaviors. If you're trying to say that the extreme level of bullshit that happened on the reserve is common human behavior, however, I don't think anyone is going to agree.

The most interesting thing about this incident from a social dynamics perspective is that the general collapse of will of the occupiers may be an indication that group radicalization that takes place over the internet may not stand up as well when the adherents start to actually take action in the real world.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crain posted:

And of course because his opinions are on a nutter channel, the fact that everyone else involved survived unharmed save one that was grazed by a stray bullet are completely missing from any of his bullshit narrative.

• Locked thread