Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Potrzebie posted:

Konkurs means bankruptcy in Swedish. The thought of Russia exporting bad economic situations made me giggle.

I'm not sure the Ukraine feels the same way but linguistic serendipity is funny nonetheless. Also Central Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fanatic posted:

It's interesting reading Bashar's wiki. He basically did nothing political before becoming president, which was thrust on him because his brother died in a car accident. Then virtually ran the country into the ground due to incompetence, which leads us to where we are now. It does make you wonder where we would be if his brother wore a seatbelt back in 1994.

It does, but the idea of Basel running the country is scary in its own right. This is a really good book that digs into that whole dynamic of Bashar just being thrust into the forefront one day.

http://www.amazon.com/Syria-The-Fall-House-Assad/dp/0300186517

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Holy crap is that northern rebel pocket literally vaporizing rapidly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm curious, does China not have any role or interest in any of this? I assume they're more focused on the Pacific and just back Iran/Russia in a general sense? I'd heard talk of potential tension increasing between China and Russia/Iran as Chinese soft power spreads through Central Asia and there has been that Uyghur stuff. I remember talk page of ISIS trying to capitalize on that but I guess it didn't get very far?
What's the general role of the Chinese in the Middle East/Arab world right now? Is Syria just a curious quagmire their rivals around the world are entangled in? Nothing too significant? I heard they had a new base in Djibouti.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

lilljonas posted:

Holy crap is that northern rebel pocket literally vaporizing rapidly.

It's figuratively vaporizing rapidly.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thug Lessons posted:

It's figuratively vaporizing rapidly.

No. Like, liquified rebel corpses are vaporizing in the Syrian sun.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

It looks to me like NATO* & Russia each have their 'sides', and they are mopping up the rest. I can see the conflict freezing with the Kurd north under NATO* protection, with Assad/Russia holding the south and.. freeze.

* NATO is not a monolithic block controlled by US policy. Turkeys wishes don't count for a whole hill of beans, but there is no way Erdogans political career can survive taking Turkey out of NATO. As they don't see the Kurds as being a viable (political) ally the only free actors left are the rebels, and NATO structure allows them to back a different side so long as they don't directly go against NATO as a whole (small artillery skirmishes or the odd plane shot down don't count). So Saudi & Turkey get a roll of the dice to prop them up, the end result being that there's some shiny new kit for the Kurds to grab when the rebels inevitably defect/lose those areas to one of the great powers. This way, they get to wave their militaries around, maybe blow up some 'others' for local political points, but neither Saudi or Turkey are going to meaningfully affect the direct US/Russia partitioning that is going on.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like Turkey is preparing to go into Syria with its allies
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/699537886727835648
https://twitter.com/andrewchappelle/status/699537965937258500
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/699535341921894400

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Poorly sourced, questionable documents on Reddit claim that France attacked Libya to stop Gaddafi's long dreamed of African Union. Has this been leaked anywhere that isn't a cesspool of conspiracy theories and neo-Nazis?

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 16, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm gonna say no.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

A cursory Google search of the documents basically just leads back to Reddit, Drudge and conspiracy forums. So yeah. Also, the guy who sent it to me is a bit believer in whatever RT pushes so that makes it suspect.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Nah, they are making it conditional on the US joining the fun, which will never happen.

quote:

"Turkey is not going to have a unilateral ground operation. We are asking coalition partners that there should be a ground operation. We are discussing this with allies," the official told reporters at a briefing in Istanbul.

"We want a ground operation. If there is a consensus, Turkey will take part. Without a ground operation, it is impossible to stop this war."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-turkey-coalition-idUSKCN0VP127

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Also the Iraqi PMF released uh a music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvG6mByIpU

The Peshmerga is really good at music videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvbx2q1yf0

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

GaussianCopula posted:

Nah, they are making it conditional on the US joining the fun, which will never happen.
I don't know - the situation is really lose-lose for them as it stands. That big chunk of ISIS between the Kurdish blocks is looking mighty fragile. If the Kurds carry on, they will unite it within a month or two, and then Kurdistan is looking like an on the ground reality (i.e. the 'national security' issue).Things aren't much better if the SAA take it, so what choice to Turkey & the Sauds have but to 'liberate' it from ISIS first? I wouldn't be surprised if ISIS resistance 'melted away' in front of them in a series of 'stunning victories', showing how competent and powerful the Turkish/Saudi coalition is.
That's possibly Erdogans best play from here, the big question is how much do the US & rest of NATO care to stop it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Banana Man posted:

Why do TOWS look like they move really weird from behind? Like they seem to pause and jump around.

SAA doesn't have TOWs because USA isn't supplying Syria. The missile used in that video is Konkurs (NATO name AT-5 Spandrel) or its Iranian made copy but the guidance is similar.

The operator keeps the target in his sight and the sighting device tracks an IR flare in the base of the missile and then gives the missiles steering orders via wire so that it would stay on course to what the operator is aiming at. This means a constant stream of micro adjustments. When a missile like that isn't flying like a bumble bee it means that guidance has been disrupted eg. due to jamming.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
APGM

Should have shrapnel / HE / napalm / WP / flechette warheads.

WP for illumination / smoke only ;)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-turkey-coalition-idUSKCN0VP127

That article doesn't really imply what either of you are saying. It's extremely vague, referencing a "consensus" of "allies" which could mean almost anything.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

OzyMandrill posted:

That's possibly Erdogans best play from here, the big question is how much do the US & rest of NATO care to stop it?

I would disagree here. First of all Turkey (and the Saudis) need some kind of protection against Russian/Iran air strikes, which means at least an endorsement from the US, if not more. Than the question becomes if the Saudis want to antagonize Moscow just to help Erdogan, given that they just made a deal to stabilize the oil price.

Additionally the best option for Erdogan would probably be to strike a deal with Moscow, accepting Assad under the condition that the Kurds get crushed. That would be a win-win situation for both parties involved as the Kurds do not really have someone that will stand up for them, but it's doubtful whether Erdogan's pride would let him strike such a bargain.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

They already have a protection from airstrikes on Turkish soil, namely Article 5 of the NATO charter.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Turkey also has the 2nd best military in NATO; they could hold their own vs Russia if Russia didn't go all in and avoided hitting targets within Turkey.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Baloogan posted:

Turkey also has the 2nd best military in NATO; they could hold their own vs Russia if Russia didn't go all in and avoided hitting targets within Turkey.

If this nightmare Clancy scenario played out The Russian Navy would almost certainly face defeat in the Black Sea.

I don't see Putin risking Crimea, and all he's worked for in reestablishing a presence in the southern seas.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

sparatuvs posted:

If this nightmare Clancy scenario played out The Russian Navy would almost certainly face defeat in the Black Sea.

I don't see Putin risking Crimea, and all he's worked for in reestablishing a presence in the southern seas.

Agree. the whole point of 'Great Game' proxy wars is you don't resort to actually going to war with another great power or their allies. We've seen what that leads to, so now we have use other countries as prophylactics.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

OzyMandrill posted:

That big chunk of ISIS between the Kurdish blocks is looking mighty fragile.

It must be. ISIS has been unable to stop the SAA advance east of Aleppo, and hasn't launched any significant counter attacks against government territory. They haven't attempted to retake the YPG salient on the West bank of the Euphrates. And they haven't tried to take advantage of the rebel collapse in Northern Aleppo. I wonder how many ISIS fighters there are in that area? Maybe they're all hunkering down in Dabiq, no point in dying now and missing the last battle.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seem Russia's new tactic [url=http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160216/1034831694/syria-hospital-us-coalition.html?utm_source=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FYy4aSNDBSc&utm_medium=short_url&utm_content=aDpQ&utm_campaign=URL_shortening]is blaming the US for every hospital bombing[/url[

quote:

“Reconnaissance data shows that the planes carrying out the strikes on these civilian facilities took to the skies from the US base in Turkey’s Incirlik where US-led coalition and Turkish airplanes are based,” Senator Igor Morozov told RIA Novosti.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It would be funny if not for the fact that alot of people will gobble this right up

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
So this has been circlulating

https://twitter.com/studies_center/status/699339389449715712/photo/1

What is InformNapalm?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I remember this coming up in the thread during the actual rebellion against Gaddafi and it was ridiculous even back then. The joke in this rubbish is: There already is an African Union. It even has its own army, the ASF. (African Standby Force)

The African Union replaced an older Panafrican organisation back in 2002. The central seat of the AU is Addis Abeba and the Panafrican parliament is in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Wikipedia article

It's true however that Gaddafi was all for this and pushed the foundation of the African Union forward a lot. It's just the African Union just rolled along fine while he was getting his comeuppance.

The really funny thing is, last year Obama held a speach in front of the AU in Addis Abeba. So while some braindead idiots are toting this idea around, the president of the US went over and talked to the actually real and existing African Union.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I dont get why people try to use that prick as bloody shirt for the "international" or other left/right bullshit. the dude had a rape dungeon and killed protesters with a flack canons. he got what he deserved.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Apparently Marea has surrendered to the SDF.

https://twitter.com/cahitstorm/status/699567977247563777

quote:

Mare rebels agreed to expel turkish backed jihadists and to join democratic forces led by YPG & FSA.

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/699554083930148865

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/699560751346765825

quote:

#Break: city of Mare (symbol of revolution) reaches deal with Jaish AlThuwar (part SDF) to prevent fighting in city.

(how do you embed tweets?

EDIT - ah, just post the links. Nice.)

mediadave fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 16, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
This is good news about Mare. I wonder where those groups will go to, though? They have a choice between fighting the Kurds elsewhere, going to Turkey, or going to ISIS.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This is good news about Mare. I wonder where those groups will go to, though? They have a choice between fighting the Kurds elsewhere, going to Turkey, or going to ISIS.

Or start an insurgency close to home once the pocket's overrun.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

An outing website led by Ukrainians and Georgians. Sometimes they threaten to release X information if Russia won't stop its militias from shelling that Ukrainian village.

Fun thing is that the Russian government is quite pissed at them and has been trying to take the website offline.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

They already have a protection from airstrikes on Turkish soil, namely Article 5 of the NATO charter.

NATO's a defensive alliance, so if Turkey invades Syria and takes a few hits in border skirmishes, they probably don't get to drag the rest of NATO into a war they chose. Nobody really knows where the actual line would be though, which means Russia may be overly cautious or that they'd possibly miscalculate and start off something bigger than they wanted.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I'm excited to know what will happen when the Kurds have taken all Kurdish territory from ISIL and other groups and the only land left between them and a unified Syrian Kurdistan are the regime pockets in Qamishli and Hasakah and whatever they want in Aleppo province.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Sinteres posted:

NATO's a defensive alliance, so if Turkey invades Syria and takes a few hits in border skirmishes, they probably don't get to drag the rest of NATO into a war they chose. Nobody really knows where the actual line would be though, which means Russia may be overly cautious or that they'd possibly miscalculate and start off something bigger than they wanted.

Yes, one would hope the US would not be so stupid as to get into a shooting war with a fellow nuclear power over Syria of all things.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So Saudi Arabia and Russia just agreed to something.

quote:

Oil ministers from three Opec countries, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Venezuela, as well as Russia, have agreed to freeze oil output at January levels, as long as others follow suit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35564492

This is... unexpected. I guess the Saudis are starting to hurt in the pocketbook?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

You only have to ask yourself if Gaddafi's dream had a realistic chance of happening at all even without Western involvement.

I mean there's a real African Union that exists, so what is the African Union of Gaddafi's dreams? It's Gaddafi's Empire of United Gaddafia, and there's no way it was going to happen. The guy was a deluded madman.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 16, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Count Roland posted:

So Saudi Arabia and Russia just agreed to something.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35564492

This is... unexpected. I guess the Saudis are starting to hurt in the pocketbook?

They've been hurting for a long time, if I recall. It was either start pinching the spigots off, raise taxes, cut services, or buy fewer solid gold lamborghinis for their kids, and each of those has certain undesirable effects. If they freeze output at January levels that just means oil stops its nosedive (and the intermediaries start spiking their future delivery prices because OH MAN THEY'RE GONNA EMBARGO ANY DAY NOW or something) and Russia needs something like triple current prices to balance their budget due to how petro-centric their economy is. So it's more like they're preventing heavier bleeding as opposed to anything else.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It's a bleed-off, the objective is to bleed everyone else without going into a comatose. Saudi Arabia is not going to completely destroy itself to spite Iran and Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

You only have to ask yourself if Gaddafi's dream had a realistic chance of happening at all even without Western involvement.

I mean there's a real African Union that exists, so what is the African Union of Gaddafi's dreams? It's Gaddafi's Empire of United Gaddafia, and there's no way it was going to happen. The guy was a deluded madman.

He had more sway than you might think. I recall him being very tight with South Africa.

I agree his proposed union was likely of no consequence, but the man had a surprising number of friends for being such a fruitcake.

• Locked thread