Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Looks like the debt collection agency (which bought the federal loans) took him to court and then the court issued an order for the Marshals to get him since he was delinquent. By showing up at his home with guns, he probably means they showed up while carrying, which is to be expected since they're law enforcement.

This sentence is just funny to read, though:

Yea, I doubt he got arrested. The other side got a court order for the guy to appear, Marshals execute federal court orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

And you do know that O'Connor was a Reagan appointee right? There's no guarantee she'll actually do what the Democrats want.

Yes that's part of it. Obama nominates a former Reagan-appointed justice and watches the fireworks. She might have been appointed by The Great One but she's also (partially) pro-choice.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

10% believe whites are a superior race

I'm going to pretend this means that 90% said black people were superior.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I know we want to keep primary chat out of this thread but this is too good a fuckup not to get more eyes.

Rubio put out a new commercial called "Morning again in America." Well, the opening shot is the Vancouver skyline.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/16/marco-rubios-morning-again-in-america-ad-opens-with-a-canadian-skyline/

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

foobardog posted:

That's... Kind of heartening? Like I'd prefer it if no one thought that explicitly, but that's less than I expected.

I think it'd be higher if it was phrased as "are blacks an inferior race?"

It's really important to note the distinction between people that believe something and people willing to admit to it in a poll.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mcmagic posted:

10% seems low for SC republicans.

10% is absolutely too low. I expected so much more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bizarro Watt posted:

Looks like the debt collection agency (which bought the federal loans) took him to court and then the court issued an order for the Marshals to get him since he was delinquent. By showing up at his home with guns, he probably means they showed up while carrying, which is to be expected since they're law enforcement.

Note that this is a $1500 student loan too.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea, I doubt he got arrested. The other side got a court order for the guy to appear, Marshals execute federal court orders

probably this

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RevKrule posted:

I know we want to keep primary chat out of this thread but this is too good a fuckup not to get more eyes.

Rubio put out a new commercial called "Morning again in America." Well, the opening shot is the Vancouver skyline.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/16/marco-rubios-morning-again-in-america-ad-opens-with-a-canadian-skyline/

Some Americans can see Vancouver from their house

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

computer parts posted:

A 29 year old loan which probably has a statue of limitations on when the collector can sue.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

No mystery.

It's called Meth.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Azuth0667 posted:

A 29 year old loan which probably has a statue of limitations on when the collector can sue.

Which you would need to appear in court to put forth that defense.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bizarro Watt posted:

No, it's not.

At all.

It's actually loving horrifying. :stonk:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It will probably never happen, but I'd love to see what would happen to the economy if all government held student debt was just forgiven. An entire generation no longer bogged down with mortgage-sized loans they've had since before the enter the workplace. Suddenly the spending power of an entire generation is skyrocketed.

I mean, one of my coworkers still lives with his parents despite his job as a software developer because he can't afford to live elsewhere while paying student loans.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Azuth0667 posted:

I didn't think student loans had statutes of limitations? I mean definitely not dischargeable; I don't know if that extends to statutes of limitations though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Logikv9 posted:

10% is absolutely too low. I expected so much more.

10% were willing to a) frame their implicit beliefs consciously and b) express them in a straightforward and explicit manner. Survey questions for things like this which are wrapped in a dogwhistle inside a racially coded innuendo inside a snide double entendre, not to mention where one answer will net you severe societal disapproval, are tough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This may shock y'all but there's no correlation between Twitter support and electoral outcome.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Paradoxish posted:

So... what, exactly, is the point of this? Assuming you can't literally dump someone in jail for debt, how is arresting some guy and forcing him to sign a payment plan for a debt he's already not paying a worthwhile use of anyone's time? What's the end goal here?

I imagine a court judgment that allows them to garnish his wages (should he have any, and up to a maximum percentage allowed for by law). I would have thought that could have happened via default judgement though without arrest, so, I'm not sure why that was necessary.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Wait if I ignore a court case the government might show up at my house? Creeping fascism.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MrChupon posted:

I imagine a court judgment that allows them to garnish his wages (should he have any, and up to a maximum percentage allowed for by law). I would have thought that could have happened via default judgement though without arrest, so, I'm not sure why that was necessary.

This is actually why I asked. I have two friends who had their wages garnished through default judgments (one for student loans), which is why I was wondering if there was a point to hauling him into court aside from just wasting everyone's time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paradoxish posted:

This is actually why I asked. I have two friends who had their wages garnished through default judgments (one for student loans), which is why I was wondering if there was a point to hauling him into court aside from just wasting everyone's time.

because they figure out where you're working in order to garnish your wages in court

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Wait if I ignore a court case the government might show up at my house? Creeping fascism.

To be fair, it isn't too uncommon for big businesses to swear up and down they gave you your legally required notices, but then just go "oops someone's bad" when it turns out they never did. All the meanwhile the business's lawyers hammer the victim over for not having documents the business never gave them.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

, they’ll give them green uniforms and they’ll be used to intimidate the middle class as sure as I’m sitting here.” [/Url]

poo poo

You ever notice how the right wing dystopian horror stories of what will befall white middle class suburban dwellers are just the day to day life for non-white poor city folk?

"Middle class" is code for white working people. Both parties use it. We can't say "workers" because communism so we say middle class and imply the lower class doesn't matter because of course they don't. They're brown.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

So, the government sells delinquent accounts to private debt collectors to save money. Who then go to court and get a judgement to send out 7 government employees to drag the debtor into court to collect their $1500. At this point, wouldn't it be cheaper for the government to just forgive the debt? Is this anything other than a stealth give-away to one of the slimiest industries in the country?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

g0del posted:

So, the government sells delinquent accounts to private debt collectors to save money. Who then go to court and get a judgement to send out 7 government employees to drag the debtor into court to collect their $1500. At this point, wouldn't it be cheaper for the government to just forgive the debt? Is this anything other than a stealth give-away to one of the slimiest industries in the country?

Because FYGM.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I can see how someone who worked a second job to pay their debt would get pissed that someone who defaulted and ran off to burning man would get debt relief but they didn't.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"When I was in college in the 70s, I waited tables, went to school, and paid off my student debt in no time with the job my degree helped me get. It was so easy, and shows this generation is just lazy"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khisanth Magus posted:

It will probably never happen, but I'd love to see what would happen to the economy if all government held student debt was just forgiven. An entire generation no longer bogged down with mortgage-sized loans they've had since before the enter the workplace. Suddenly the spending power of an entire generation is skyrocketed.

I mean, one of my coworkers still lives with his parents despite his job as a software developer because he can't afford to live elsewhere while paying student loans.

It would probably lead to another housing bubble.

And then 30 years down the line people would be saying "well it was right for me to get my loans forgiven, but kids these days are just too lazy".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

g0del posted:

American "fiscal conservatism" is full of examples like this. It's the equivalent of refusing to go in debt for a new car as you continually pay thousands to keep your clunker running.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

g0del posted:

A better question is why can't I buy my own debt for pennies on the dollar?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
No price is too high to bring justice to someone who borrowed 1500 bucks thirty years ago, but god forbid we subsidize higher education and help folks avoid that situation in the first place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm surprised people are defending the dude who refused to show up to court for what is equivalent to a couple of traffic tickets. That they didn't even want all at one time, he could've set up a payment plan for them.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Well that was fast.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well that was fast.

:allears:

I really hope this takes off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can you even really suffocate someone to death with a pillow?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Trabisnikof posted:

I can see how someone who worked a second job to pay their debt would get pissed that someone who defaulted and ran off to burning man would get debt relief but they didn't.

Nice stereotype, bro.

That still qualifies as FYGM and/or bucket of crabs mentality on the borrowers, by the way.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

scaliagate or scaliagahzi?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Nice stereotype, bro.

You're right, often people get overtime and work one job instead.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

fknlo posted:

:allears:

I really hope this takes off.
Hahaha. Dude was overweight, full of bitterness and vitriol, and 79 years old. It's a conspiracy! :downs:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

RevKrule posted:

No no no

It is the Vancouver skyline at sunset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Trabisnikof posted:

You're right, often people get overtime and work one job instead.

Or, for example, got into a serious accident or developed a life-crippling medical condition that results in them being laid off and unable to pay the debt off regularly/on time.

But you can keep entertaining your slacker straw man if you want. :shrug:

• Locked thread