Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
By the Judiciary Act of 1869, you need at least 6 justices for a quorum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Presto posted:

So if RBG resigns right now then the Supreme Court would be unable to carry out its duties?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So if RBG resigns right now then the Supreme Court would be unable to carry out its duties?

Only if she counts as 3 people, afaik

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I can't count

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Have to wait for seal team 6 to break into Alito and Thomas's houses with their murderpillows first, then RBG can resign. Stick to the script.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/south-dakota-becomes-first-state-to-pass-anti-transgender-st#.yuYvOEaeyY

South Dakota is the first state to pass the ALEC anti-transgender bathroom bill, awaiting the governor's signature. The Feds have already said these laws are illegal discrimination but that's not stopping many states from jamming identical laws through. Oh, and it's all Obama's fault:

quote:

Sen. Brock Greenfield said on the senate floor that the legislation is a response to the Obama administration's push for transgender rights in public schools.

"This issue has been thrust upon us by an activist group of bureaucrats in Washington, DC.," Greenfield said. "It's only been a product of recent decisions made at the federal level."

He cited constituent concerns about "co-mingling" of individuals of different birth sex, saying it was "inappropriate."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How many transgendered people even live in SD? I'm guessing less than a thousand.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/south-dakota-becomes-first-state-to-pass-anti-transgender-st#.yuYvOEaeyY

South Dakota is the first state to pass the ALEC anti-transgender bathroom bill, awaiting the governor's signature. The Feds have already said these laws are illegal discrimination but that's not stopping many states from jamming identical laws through. Oh, and it's all Obama's fault:

It all comes down to opinion, right? I mean if I thought the SD governor looked kinda of butch and I saw them going into a men's restroom, I could call the police and they'd HAVE to strip search him, and any retaliation taken against me would be illegal?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Epic High Five posted:

It all comes down to opinion, right? I mean if I thought the SD governor looked kinda of butch and I saw them going into a men's restroom, I could call the police and they'd HAVE to strip search him, and any retaliation taken against me would be illegal?

The law states that you must use the bathroom which corresponds to the gender on your birth certificate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Presto posted:

Arguably an unconstitutional violation of separation of powers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

The law states that you must use the bathroom which corresponds to the gender on your birth certificate.

How do I know what his birth certificate says? Better safe than sorry imho

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Holy crap the government sucks. It seems like nothing is going to ever get done except slight rule tweaks to enable the rich to get richer.

I think that money is literally in charge, is that possible? That America has evolved into nothing but a currency cardiovascular organ? The rich and poor alike mere material exchanging goods and services while our abstraction thereof has grown to control us?

This is me before my after work bowl :cry:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Case to be decided by Supreme and Only Justice Sotomeyer, Who Claims the Golden Throne

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Luigi Thirty posted:

Does SD issue modified birth certificates?

edit: I've been reading too much SovCit stuff, I originally wrote "berth."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Technically, but it's a lot bigger difference in the minds of most Americans, as they are aware that SCOTUS justices exist.

My concern is that a 4/8 year obstructionist hold on a new justice is approaching constitutional crisis levels.

We have been in a de facto crisis ever since the shutdown, really. Question is just how overt it is. But yeah, it is getting more undeniable every day. At this point our government is just a kind of slow motion train wreck.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

g0del posted:

On the other hand, if a business can work the loopholes* to get away with anything, why that's just fine!

* Like, say, a debt collection agency using government resources to collect the debt.

Are you calling the judicial system a loophole?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

if we reached a point where there are only 5 sitting justices b/c we just don't ever bother to appoint any more and then the rest of government decides to ignore a scotus ruling as they didn't have a quorum then we'd have a fun little improbable hypothetical constitutional crisis

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

EwokEntourage posted:

Are you calling the judicial system a loophole?

It's definitely some kind of hole. butt

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

UberJew posted:

if we reached a point where there are only 5 sitting justices b/c we just don't ever bother to appoint any more and then the rest of government decides to ignore a scotus ruling as they didn't have a quorum then we'd have a fun little improbable hypothetical constitutional crisis

Dude, no spoilers for next election season yet, we have barely started this one.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Epic High Five posted:

How do I know what his birth certificate says? Better safe than sorry imho

Everyone who voted for this does not get to use a restroom until we can confirm what is on their birth certificate. Each time they want to use one. I wish someone would sit outside both restrooms in whatever building they do their "work" in to check birth certificates. No birth certificate, no bathroom, sorry.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Paradoxish posted:

I guess the question is whether political polarization is reaching a level where the government is permanently dysfunctional.

I believe this is something the Founding Fathers, in fact, did not envision happening.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Khisanth Magus posted:

Everyone who voted for this does not get to use a restroom until we can confirm what is on their birth certificate. Each time they want to use one. I wish someone would sit outside both restrooms in whatever building they do their "work" in to check birth certificates. No birth certificate, no bathroom, sorry.

we should just simplify this and require a birth certificate for literally everything

maybe tatoo a barcode to make things easier

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I believe this is something the Founding Fathers, in fact, did not envision happening.

They probably didn't envision "I'll dismantle the government" being a successful campaign slogan either.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Paul should write to Tammy Baldwin and Ron Johnson, because he has no constitutional authority to stop a nomination.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

the hilariously optimistic idea was that we would just be too big for any dangerous stupidity (like, heaven forfend, economic justice) to take hold

James Madison, Federalist #10 posted:

Hence, it clearly appears, that the same advantage which a Republic has over a Democracy, in controlling the effects of faction, is enjoyed by a large over a small Republic,—is enjoyed by the Union over the States composing it. Does the advantage consist in the substitution of Representatives, whose enlightened views and virtuous sentiments render them superior to local prejudices, and to schemes of injustice? It will not be denied, that the Representation of the Union will be most likely to possess these requisite endowments. Does it consist in the greater security afforded by a greater variety of parties, against the event of any one party being able to outnumber and oppress the rest? In an equal degree does the increased variety of parties, comprised within the Union, increase this security. Does it, in fine, consist in the greater obstacles opposed to the concert and accomplishment of the secret wishes of an unjust and interested majority? Here, again, the extent of the Union gives it the most palpable advantage.

The influence of factious leaders may kindle a flame within their particular States, but will be unable to spread a general conflagration through the other States: A religious sect may degenerate into a political faction in a part of the Confederacy; but the variety of sects dispersed over the entire face of it, must secure the National Councils against any danger from that source; A rage for paper money, for an abolition of debts, for an equal division of property, or for any other improper or wicked project, will be less apt to pervade the whole body of the Union, than a particular member of it; in the same proportion as such a malady is more likely to taint a particular county or district, than an entire State.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Khisanth Magus posted:

I must say that the idea of a supreme court that is completely deadlocked and accomplishes as much as congress(in a 4-4 lock, yet again the supreme court doesn't decide what to do and the lower court stands) kind of amusing yet sad.

Sounds like a game plan right out of the Republican playbook. Break the federal level and turn the state/local into your feifdom.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SumYungGui posted:

Sounds like a game plan right out of the Republican playbook. Break the federal level and turn the state/local into your feifdom.

I believe that the court prior to the supreme Court would be the federal appeals court, which to my knowledge is fairly liberal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Khisanth Magus posted:

I believe that the court prior to the supreme Court would be the federal appeals court, which to my knowledge is fairly liberal.

Which is why I'm calling for a constitutional convention to add an amendment allowing the recall of all federal judges.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Moxie posted:

Holy crap the government sucks. It seems like nothing is going to ever get done except slight rule tweaks to enable the rich to get richer.

I think that money is literally in charge, is that possible? That America has evolved into nothing but a currency cardiovascular organ? The rich and poor alike mere material exchanging goods and services while our abstraction thereof has grown to control us?

This is me before my after work bowl :cry:

Welcome to America, friend.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Greatbacon posted:

They probably didn't envision "I'll dismantle the government" being a successful campaign slogan either.

Yes, I quite confidently believe that the Founding Fathers naively believed that politicians would do their job description of 'govern the United States of America' as opposed to 'obstruct the opposing party at all costs.'

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azuth0667 posted:

You are correct I was thinking of IBR which forgives student loans after 25 years of consecutive payment. However apparently pre-1991 there was a statue of limitations on student loans. Federal student loans are not subject to a statue of limitations but, private student loans are.

What is the statute of limitations on private loans and can you link your source?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yes, I quite confidently believe that the Founding Fathers naively believed that politicians would do their job description of 'govern the United States of America' as opposed to 'obstruct the opposing party at all costs.'

Someone hasn't read up on John Adams' Presidency.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pillowquiddick is upon us.

https://twitter.com/ItsTimeToSecede/status/699768491495153664

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Reason posted:

What is the statute of limitations on private loans and can you link your source?

From what I gather it depends on the state.

Most of the information is on free legal help sites like this:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/is-statute-limitations-private-student-loans.html

I haven't been able to find anything from DOE or any case law showing this in action.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody bother to PACER his casefile?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ReidRansom posted:

This is a cry for help, someone please take that gun away from him.

He's obviously depressed and showing warning signs that he could be a danger to himself and others but we let him have a handgun anyway.

America.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

So if the most reliable and credit worthy are leaving isn't it worth it to the government to offer them a lower rate to keep them with government loans instead of going private sector? Stafford loans have better protections than any private student loans so I would stick with my Stafford loans instead of shopping around, which is something I'm considering after I get rid of my consumer debt.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Luigi Thirty posted:

New PPP poll of SC GOP voters is out
I'm sure there may be very nice people there, but at this point our only option may be to fence this cesspool off - nobody in or out. Let them die off and start again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pixelboy posted:

I'm sure there may be very nice people there, but at this point our only option may be to fence this cesspool off - nobody in or out. Let them die off and start again.

It would be quiet hard to fence around Hawaii too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

anybody bother to PACER his casefile?

Marshals are saying there was a warrant out for his arrest, Reddit is saying it failure to appear for a show cause on a motion to compel lost judgment discovery.

Apparently he had been ducking the marshals as well http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/US-Marshals-say-man-wasn-t-arrested-because-he-6834620.php

• Locked thread