Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

cyberia posted:

What are people's current favourite poop-break games? Preferably something without a lot of IAP or grinding, just a game I can play for a few minutes at a time.

I like Downwell a lot, and it's pretty great for playing in short bursts.

In other news, it looks like Google Play Games accounts are getting the ability to set custom gamer IDs soon.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

cyberia posted:

What are people's current favourite poop-break games? Preferably something without a lot of IAP or grinding, just a game I can play for a few minutes at a time.

I have been enjoying Alto, especially watching the llamas slide down steep hills on their butts :3:

Someone recently mentioned Battle Cats so I started playing it again and it's still great. Also, this might be a temporary bonus thing, but I pretty quickly got two golden tickets in the game which led me to two rare cats which I was able to trade in for about 100,000 XP. Now I have super powerful cats.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mrkillboy posted:

In other news, it looks like Google Play Games accounts are getting the ability to set custom gamer IDs soon.

don't forget the meme-tastic profile icon selection :hellyeah:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Which of those are memes?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Which of those are memes?

Sloth, narwhal and llama are all pretty meme-ified animals. There's a :shibe: and I assume the bear is a FNAF reference.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Does anyone know if Soda Dungeon supports any kind of backup/sync? Even just Helium would be sufficient.

It turns out Helium-restored Soda Dungeon data works just fine! Now, when will they fill out the Wizard's menu...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

cyberia posted:

Sloth, narwhal and llama are all pretty meme-ified animals. There's a :shibe: and I assume the bear is a FNAF reference.

there's also a fox, pirate, and ninja

e: holy poo poo, and a cute-ified mother brain lol
e2: and a shark with a laser on top of its head (which is not really an internet meme, but still)

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 19, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
has anyone had any luck with valkyrie? she seems like a worse dragon (ground only, can't fly over river, more health i guess?)

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Rafzakael posted:

has anyone had any luck with valkyrie? she seems like a worse dragon (ground only, can't fly over river, more health i guess?)

I mostly use her in defense. Her attack is quite effective against groups.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Hadn't seen it mentioned here, but I've been playing a lot of Downtown Showdown .

It's a vague Sim City knockoff from Colopl, who also made Rune Story. It's similar insofar as it's a city building game, but there's some key differences.

Good:
  • No paywalling thus far, and I've been playing a lot in the last couple weeks without IAP.
  • Fun, relatively simple model works and runs better on mobile than full on SimCity (don't have to manage traffic or sewers, and all water and power is automatically conveyed by roads)
  • Good production values, like Rune Story
  • Your city looks good off the bat and doesn't have to go through a poverty-rear end Baltimore phase of development like in SimCity. This may not be an upside if you like that.
  • Everything can be moved or stored freely, you can't gently caress yourself over by placing things wrong. This is kind of important as the way the game determines how residential areas fill is based on them being in the effect radius of other buildings, which each give different amounts of population in various size AEs.
  • A winter-themed event just launched and they're giving out some decent special buildings free, which are improved by visiting other people's cities and tapping on roaming snowmen, murdering them and jacking their skis or skates or snowmobiles or whatever.
  • Is not the dumpster fire that EA made with their mobile SimCity
  • Anime

Bad:
  • Clumsy, poorly explained pvp system is the best source of medals you need to expand your land plot (can't even IAP your way out of it). It's sort of tournament rules and it's separate from the regular game, and you can't lose anything by playing.
  • There is a separate, other kind of asynchronous pvp like Clash of Clans, where you directly gank the other team's cities, but you don't really lose much if your city is ganked.
  • Improving buildings is time gated behind resources you get from a few industrial buildings, though it's not half as obnoxious as the similar setup in the EA SimCity.
  • lovely plot and characters, but you can skip all of it
  • Anime
I'm in as coldbird. They just added a guild system (called Unions), I can probably make a goon one if there's interest. There might already be one from goons in the Rune Story thread, they sent out invites to people who played that, but maybe not since I can't even find the thread now.

edit: I'm on the Bill something side, the blonde guy in the suit's team, not the nerd's team

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 19, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not compatible with note edge in usa

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

cyberia posted:

I have been enjoying Alto, especially watching the llamas slide down steep hills on their butts :3:

Loop
And as mentioned, sage solitare

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Coldbird posted:

Hadn't seen it mentioned here, but I've been playing a lot of Downtown Showdown .

It's a vague Sim City knockoff from Colopl, who also made Rune Story. It's similar insofar as it's a city building game, but there's some key differences.

Good:
  • No paywalling thus far, and I've been playing a lot in the last couple weeks without IAP.
  • Fun, relatively simple model works and runs better on mobile than full on SimCity (don't have to manage traffic or sewers, and all water and power is automatically conveyed by roads)
  • Good production values, like Rune Story
  • Your city looks good off the bat and doesn't have to go through a poverty-rear end Baltimore phase of development like in SimCity. This may not be an upside if you like that.
  • Everything can be moved or stored freely, you can't gently caress yourself over by placing things wrong. This is kind of important as the way the game determines how residential areas fill is based on them being in the effect radius of other buildings, which each give different amounts of population in various size AEs.
  • A winter-themed event just launched and they're giving out some decent special buildings free, which are improved by visiting other people's cities and tapping on roaming snowmen, murdering them and jacking their skis or skates or snowmobiles or whatever.
  • Is not the dumpster fire that EA made with their mobile SimCity
  • Anime

Bad:
  • Clumsy, poorly explained pvp system is the best source of medals you need to expand your land plot (can't even IAP your way out of it). It's sort of tournament rules and it's separate from the regular game, and you can't lose anything by playing.
  • There is a separate, other kind of asynchronous pvp like Clash of Clans, where you directly gank the other team's cities, but you don't really lose much if your city is ganked.
  • Improving buildings is time gated behind resources you get from a few industrial buildings, though it's not half as obnoxious as the similar setup in the EA SimCity.
  • lovely plot and characters, but you can skip all of it
  • Anime
I'm in as coldbird. They just added a guild system (called Unions), I can probably make a goon one if there's interest. There might already be one from goons in the Rune Story thread, they sent out invites to people who played that, but maybe not since I can't even find the thread now.

edit: I'm on the Bill something side, the blonde guy in the suit's team, not the nerd's team

Pretty fun little poop game. In as VR-SA.

e: Looks like you need to search with people using their User ID. Mine is 711-712-1252

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I don't know if I heard about Adventurer League here or elsewhere, but it's a lot of fun. Open world RPG with hex-based simple combat (like Hoplite) when you get into an encounter, and Mount & Blade-like quest system. Not sure if there's an overarching story or not, but it's been sucking up my time.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chinook posted:

I don't know if I heard about Adventurer League here or elsewhere, but it's a lot of fun. Open world RPG with hex-based simple combat (like Hoplite) when you get into an encounter, and Mount & Blade-like quest system. Not sure if there's an overarching story or not, but it's been sucking up my time.

This is fun, thanks for the suggestion. Does the game advance beyond just doing random quests for people in towns/villages?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm not sure, I imagine once your reputation is high enough you can convince the viceroy to open the bridges to the north, and things go from there.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

vulturesrow posted:

Pretty fun little poop game. In as VR-SA.

e: Looks like you need to search with people using their User ID. Mine is 711-712-1252

Oh I see. I added you. Mine is 216-111-8975.

You would have to have a serious bowel condition to require pooping as often as this game wants you to check in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda an esoteric question, but is there any genre of game app that is most reliant on IAP currencies (or, relatedly, the least easy to get those currency through normal play)?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda an esoteric question, but is there any genre of game app that is most reliant on IAP currencies (or, relatedly, the least easy to get those currency through normal play)?

Town-building games?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MisterBibs posted:

Go to the Top Grossing section of the play store and all the top grossing apps are free to start. Besides Candy Crush it looks like Clash of Clans style games are dominating the top tier. I don't think there are any truly free versions of that genre.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Coldbird posted:

You would have to have a serious bowel condition to require pooping as often as this game wants you to check in.

Yo dawg, you been busy in this game.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Anyone know why Dungeon Raid's animations are super slow and if it's fixable? I loved playing it and haven't found anything like it so it's bumming me out.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

^^^ dungeon raid is ancient and i'm not sure if it's been updated for newer android OSes. some games with similar gameplay are Another Case Solved, and Puzzle Craft ^^^

MisterBibs posted:

any genre of game can be infected with timers, gachas, multiple layers of IAP obfuscation, straight-up IAP gameplay advantages; the question is how much the developer or publisher wants to push it into the game

games with discrete levels are easy to put stuff like this into, for example puzzle games like candy crush or puzzle and dragons. you can stick all kind of timers and powerup systems into these

another type of game (like somebody else said) are base-building games, or really anything with any kind of timer-based progression that can be stretched into real-time "oh it's going to take 4 days for this thing to finish". or the licensed games like for example the simpsons town builder, where i'm not sure if they ever got around to adding any actual gameplay

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 22, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Kraps posted:

Anyone know why Dungeon Raid's animations are super slow and if it's fixable? I loved playing it and haven't found anything like it so it's bumming me out.

Well the game has not been updated in close to four years now so I assume trying to play it on a modern device would probably lead to some wonkiness.

If you're looking for similar games Wargames: WOPR and Godzilla: Smash 3 have similar gem-linking style gameplay.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 22, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MisterBibs posted:

The #1 worst is the PvP wargames that have peace shields, because they inevitably degrade into contests of who can make sure their shield never goes down and the one who has the money to replace it most often can farm the most and crush everyone. There is a reason those fuckers seem to be able to afford to advertise everywhere no matter how light on actual gameplay the game is.

Second is probably all the various collect and battle type games since they can lure you in with fake 'free' pulls which actually have a snail's chance in hell of getting you the stats you need for mid to end game play. There are some generous games in that area but they can also easily add in a rare expensive cockblock set later.

After that are the timer/resources/lives games because people typically want to play NOW and will give in.

Then the least offensive are probably the games with just boosters or cosmetic poo poo because neither of those inherently really block gameplay.

You can't really pin these down to genres and some games will have more than one kind, but the PvP wargames almost always seem to be the worst no matter what the game's mechanics of combat are besides the shields. It's really a pretty broad category despite mainly relying on a few formulas that get cloned hundreds of times.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Coldbird posted:

drat your town is huge compared to mine but I am only level 14.

My code is 414-218-1131

Do we need to add people in any other way other than "following" them?

Also I have a quest to "repair stalled cars" and I have never seen a stalled car. Is this something I will see later on or something?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CrashCat posted:

After that are the timer/resources/lives games because people typically want to play NOW and will give in.

This is the worst thing to me. I play games on my commute to and from work, and when I load a game that says "oh, well you can't play for hour unless you buy CRYSTALS" I immediately uninstall.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Trastion posted:

drat your town is huge compared to mine but I am only level 14.

My code is 414-218-1131

Do we need to add people in any other way other than "following" them?

Also I have a quest to "repair stalled cars" and I have never seen a stalled car. Is this something I will see later on or something?

I've seen people with towns of nearly 500k, not sure if that's just super whaling or the game being out longer somewhere else.

The wrecked cars thing I think is bugged, I've seen exactly one ever and it was weeks after I got that quest.

For following people, I think that's all you need to do? I'm not actually even sure what the benefit of it is, unless it gives preference to those people for cat hunts or whatever.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I've been getting a bunch of location surveys for places like Walgreens, Target, & Chili's lately (I like their chips & salsa, don't judge) if anyone needs some Google nickels. I don't recall if I've used my phone at those places or if Google is logging everywhere I go, but I got all three in the past week or so.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm enjoying Seabeard. It's got a fair amount of grind to it, but it's still pretty fun to run around, collecting and crafting stuff.

I just wish it didn't take so drat long to get a Warrior.

The rest of the game is fun, and it's well-produced to boot. Kind of wish there were ads to watch to get the premium currency, but between the daily quests and daily log-in bonuses, I'm getting a decent flow of them anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Knightmare posted:

I've been getting a bunch of location surveys for places like Walgreens, Target, & Chili's lately (I like their chips & salsa, don't judge) if anyone needs some Google nickels. I don't recall if I've used my phone at those places or if Google is logging everywhere I go, but I got all three in the past week or so.

I love when they send you the same survey multiple times. So far, I've gotten a survey for Arby's because I was there on Saturday. It asks which of the following I've visted recently, when I was at Arby's, and how I'd rate my visit from 1-5 stars. The first time, I got $0.25. This time, I got $0.37. The only change in the survey was the places that weren't Arby's.

I hope they send it to me a few more times...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Kheldarn posted:

I love when they send you the same survey multiple times. So far, I've gotten a survey for Arby's because I was there on Saturday. It asks which of the following I've visted recently, when I was at Arby's, and how I'd rate my visit from 1-5 stars. The first time, I got $0.25. This time, I got $0.37. The only change in the survey was the places that weren't Arby's.

I hope they send it to me a few more times...

Oh, they will.

A few months ago the company I work for signed up for this service and now I get surveys every few days asking when the last time I was at work was and how I'd rate my experience. I'm torn between always giving 5 stars to make us look better or always giving 1 star for the sake of honesty.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is the worst thing to me. I play games on my commute to and from work, and when I load a game that says "oh, well you can't play for hour unless you buy CRYSTALS" I immediately uninstall.
Yeah, that's why they're less evil than other methods to me, people just don't put up with the poo poo. They uninstall that or run like five different ones so they always have something to play. That sort of time barrier tends to just make people less loyal unless it's something the player feels they can work around.

The truly evil poo poo sucks you in, shakes you down for just a bit at first, then tries to mold you into a full on whale.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I work next to a Target so I used to get surveys all the time about my last trip to Target. I don't get them anymore though so I guess Google must have figured it out.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well it looks like Dungeon Raid is on sale, so the game hasn't been completely abandoned just yet. No update though.

The developer actually has a new game out on iOS called I Keep Having This Dream; an Android version will apparently be out later this year.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man that downtown showdown is really addicting. I spent like 2 hours rearranging my town yesterday to gain maximum profits. And the IAP is actually quite lenient. Here some tips I got:

Save the premium currency for the event buildings. You need to rank up to a certain level. The most expensive one goes on sale for 1050 diamonds. It gives 5 food and 5 wood each time I use the ability. It makes the farm and lumber yard better. And gives a good amount of money.

Attacking people is the best source of wood. I usually get 6-9 extortionist and 3-6 dealers. Use the dealers to steal their items and the extortionist to distract the police if they get triggered. You only have to get a star(30%) before you can end the raid and leave with your loot. Don't bother trying to get gold or stars. You will waste more resources than it is worth.

For expansion I would head to the river first. You just need to touch it. Water towers get a 20% boost along the river. Then get the chair factory on the north side. The allows a lot of buildings to upgrade more. Then grab the shovel factory on the south side. That way you can clear out the land you own, but it cost a lot of wood.

Put both flower shops next to both flower gardens. They will probably be your best money maker for a while.

The free event buildings have 4 tiers. The 4th increases the stats by a lot and gives it a skill. The ski lift makes each shop around it give a bunch of money. The hockey arena gives 500 gold for each residential building in its range. The ski lift seems a lot better at a whooping 3800 population boost before boost at max level.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 23, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Man that downtown showdown is really addicting. I spent like 2 hours rearranging my town yesterday to gain maximum profits. And the IAP is actually quite lenient. Here some tips I got:

Save the premium currency for the event buildings. You need to rank up to a certain level. The most expensive one goes on sale for 1050 diamonds. It gives 5 food and 5 wood each time I use the ability. It makes the farm and lumber yard better. And gives a good amount of money.

Attacking people is the best source of wood. I usually get 6-9 extortionist and 3-6 dealers. Use the dealers to steal their items and the extortionist to distract the police if they get triggered. You only have to get a star(30%) before you can end the raid and leave with your loot. Don't bother trying to get gold or stars. You will waste more resources than it is worth.

For expansion I would head to the river first. You just need to touch it. Water towers get a 20% boost along the river. Then get the chair factory on the north side. The allows a lot of buildings to upgrade more. Then grab the shovel factory on the south side. That way you can clear out the land you own, but it cost a lot of wood.

Put both flower shops next to both flower gardens. They will probably be your best money maker for a while.

The free event buildings have 4 tiers. The 4th increases the stats by a lot and gives it a skill. The ski lift makes each shop around it give a bunch of money. The hockey arena gives 500 gold for each residential building in its range. The ski lift seems a lot better at a whooping 3800 population boost before boost at max level.

Yeah its a pretty fun little game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Kraps posted:

Try moving the game. Like go to the info page for the app and there should be a button that says "Move to SD" or, hopefully, "Move to Tablet". Even if it is moved from a virtual, rather than physical SD card, it can make a difference for some stupid reason.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah its a pretty fun little game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

From the screenshots it basically looks like Clash of Clans but more modern setting? Is that kinda how it works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Geektox posted:

From the screenshots it basically looks like Clash of Clans but more modern setting? Is that kinda how it works?

Think 75% Sim City, 25% Clash of Clans