Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

KittyEmpress posted:

Last time I played this game was around when romulans came out, and I had a klingon romulan.

How have things turned out for them?

I remember the big fear when romulans first came out was that there would never be top tier support for romulan ships.

Romnies actually have an easier time maxing their DPS due to the abundance of Operative bridge officers. The only drawback over Feds is that they simply have more traits from having more ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I, for one, look forward to logging on after their extensive skill rework and spending time figuring out a new build meta for the exact same endgame content void.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DancingShade posted:

I, for one, look forward to logging on after their extensive skill rework and spending time figuring out a new build meta for the exact same endgame content void.

I'll wait for Pulse to figure it out then copy what he does. Or play more Secret World.

AotC
May 16, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Or just check the wiki for the secret dev builds they're using to re-balance everything with.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

18 Character Limit posted:

Last night was magical for Rooster.

Penetanguishene

Hahaha. I didn't know he was institutionalized. He was spamming Mens' Rights links the other day.

Edit: Players on the forum talking about quitting the game due to trolls in their STF instances. Busch, are you responsible for this:

quote:

[5:18] [Team] Las Vegas@Las_Vegas: You win. I am cancelling my subscription and deleting the game after you leave. You will never see me again. My getting you banned over and over never seems to stop an **** like you.
[5:18] [Team] Las Vegas@Las_Vegas: and then they lket you back
[5:18] [Team] Las Vegas@Las_Vegas: so this is my last message
[5:19] [Team] Las Vegas@Las_Vegas: too bad you'll never knwpo the joys I have seen by being part of a superb team and with an excellent fleet of guys I support and nourish
[5:19] [Team] Las Vegas@Las_Vegas: Instead you are hated and destructive, sick in the mind,single and staying that way
[5:19] [Team] Las Vegas@Las_Vegas: so I sign off, permanelty

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 19, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He was still subbed :smith:

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
My memory is fuzzy, is this the 3rd or 4th skill revamp for this game?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Depends on if you count the major neutering they gave the skills right before the launch, after the "beta" period. If you do (and, for the sake of comedy, I will), this is the fourth major revamp. If not, only the third time. Maybe this one is the charm!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has Might and Magic 4 & 5: World of Xean done anything funny since he came back?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unguided posted:

Has Might and Magic 4 & 5: World of Xean done anything funny since he came back?

Wow I just had a flashback to the World of Xean innkeeper doing his sleazily voiced "Helllooo" when you walk in to rest the party.

Seems appropriate actually.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

AotC posted:

Or just check the wiki for the secret dev builds they're using to re-balance everything with.
I just read the backdoor section of the new skill page. :allears:

This is going to be so much fun, I can't wait!

Defiance Industries posted:

He was still subbed :smith:
Another soul saved. :angel:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a dude that literally committed suicide because of the idea of a black lead in The Force Awakens,

Hoax.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AotC posted:

Ha, like the devs can build a ship for poo poo. Unless everything's fundamentally getting changed, I doubt a rear torp/beam arrays/mine/turret boat is going to be the best choice.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Maybe this one is the charm!

Any time they go in and remove a bunch of their overly complicated bullshit, it's a plus in my book.

I still wish they'd make most of the BOFF skills into passive bonuses. Then again there's space bar so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I didn't even realize that skills had notable effects.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder how much you'll need to invest and where to help your pets?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tribble patch notes are up, and these jumped out at me.

quote:

Shuttles and other Small Craft also benefit more from Skill Bonuses, but not as much as full-size ships:
Hitpoint and Shield Scaling was 0.0358%, and have been increased to 0.15%.
Speed and Turn Rate Scaling was 0.0946%, and has been increased to 0.20%.

The "Crew" mechanic has been removed.
The few benefits this stat previously gave have been set to their previous maximum value for all players.
"Tactical Readiness", the 2 piece Set of Klingon Honor Guard and Adapted MACO, no longer provides Crew bonuses, but instead increases Hull Regen.
"Reroute Power from Life Support" no longer has any mention of disabling Crew.
The promotional "EMH" Science Console no longer restores Crew when activated, but instead provides a passive Bridge Officer Cooldown Reduction while equipped.
"Emergency Force Field" Engineering Consoles have been replaced by "Subspace Redundancies" Consoles.
"Biofunction Monitor" Science Consoles have been replaced by "Nanite-Reinforced Circuitry" Consoles.

The benefits gained from Shield Subsystem Power and Auxiliary Subsystem Power have been altered.
Benefits gained from Shield power have been reduced, but new Skills have been introduced that allow these benefits to increase beyond their previous caps.
Benefits gained from Auxiliary power have been rescaled, so that low-Aux grants more benefit and high-Aux grants less benefit.
This new scale pivots around 100 Aux Power, at which point no differences are present.

edit: Also,

quote:

Known Issues

Character transfer to Tribble has been shut off temporarily.
Players will not have access to their captains already transferred to Tribble temporarily.

Oh Cryptic :allears:

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Soviet Commubot posted:

code:
The "Crew" mechanic has been removed.
We're now flying ghost ships.

Sweet!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Oh good, "crew" were always worthless.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
I think cryptic broke space spawns on omega particles, only finding 2 or three per map now.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Russian kid does a bang on impersonation of Xean in this minecraft clip.

Warning - turn the volume down, the screeching gets pretty loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYB4v8uThXc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fakemirage posted:

Sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

That isn't a bug, they want us to test the system on new characters. They'll bring back the old characters next week.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LordCo posted:

That's the best one yet, beats the WoW kid getting dragged away by his mother easily. Thank you for brightening my day with this.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do you have a link to that WoW kid one?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

fakemirage posted:

Sweet!

Nah, it just means 25th century Star Trek people finally realized that coating consoles in pointless fuses and Russian reactive armor was a bad idea.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LordCo posted:

Holy gently caress, and I thought the Cloudsong clip was bad.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

LordCo posted:

So... given that the older guy apparently had the ability to IP ban the kid, was this his server? Like, the kid was on someone else's server and chose to sperg out at the admin? I've never done minecraft multiplayer, so I might be missing something here.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I think Minecraft MP is all on private servers on PC.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Valatar posted:

So... given that the older guy apparently had the ability to IP ban the kid, was this his server? Like, the kid was on someone else's server and chose to sperg out at the admin? I've never done minecraft multiplayer, so I might be missing something here.

No, you've got it in it's entirety.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

LordCo posted:

I've watched this three times now.

We need to lobby PWE to include always-broadcast VOIP chat in STO. For immersion.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

LordCo posted:

My wife is Russian, she walked into the room when I was watching this, said "gently caress" and turned around and left. I don't know if she's coming back :ohdear:

Tuskin38 posted:

That isn't a bug, they want us to test the system on new characters. They'll bring back the old characters next week.

That's surprisingly not dumb. Are they doing actual, legitimate testing?

Poking around on Reddit the new skill system seems way less opaque than the previous one. The tooltips try to explain what points in poo poo actually do although being Cryptic who knows if it's actually correct.

You also get unlocks for putting points in the three trees, although at the moment most of them don't seem all that exciting. Ooh boy, +2 power for Engineers, great. Also, for that guy asking about hangar pets it looks like Tactical has all of the pet stuff.

Tactical

Engineer

Science

And getting enough points (filling the tree I think) gets you an "ultimate" unlock

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Ok, so you get 46 skill points for space, total. Thirty of them presumably have to go into Tactical to fill out that fairly amazing-looking ultimate attack. The remaining 16 might get part of the way through Science, I guess?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Soviet Commubot posted:

That's surprisingly not dumb. Are they doing actual, legitimate testing?

Well they're just testing the levelling, you can grab a EXP box from Drozana to level yourself up.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Dunno that engineering one looks like it could reinvigorate embassy plasma doping is the tactical ultimate tied to Fire on my Mark?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They always used to test but then ignore bug reports and push poo poo live anyway, they haven't learned in six years and I'd be surprised if they actually started now.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SKY COQ posted:

Ok, so you get 46 skill points for space, total. Thirty of them presumably have to go into Tactical to fill out that fairly amazing-looking ultimate attack. The remaining 16 might get part of the way through Science, I guess?

30 points is the entire tactical tree. That is a little too much buy-in for me particularly with the pet skills, and the diminishing return points.

E: That said the skills don't get too interesting till Commander and 16 points is enough to fully invest in the ones worth taking there. So probably worth it.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 20, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You only need 25 to unlock the ultimate.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Tunicate posted:

You only need 25 to unlock the ultimate.

Got into Tribble and played with it. You need 26 skill points to unlock one ultimate ability. Then point 27 will let you run two, and point 28 gives you all three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Got into Tribble and played with it. You need 26 skill points to unlock one ultimate ability. Then point 27 will let you run two, and point 28 gives you all three.

As in, 28 points to unlock the full version of the ability?

So that gives you 18 leftover to split between sci and engineering.

I think this is the death knell of the One True Build.

• Locked thread