Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/politics/mike-murphy-jeb-bush-drops-out-right-to-rise/index.html

Mike Murphy, the head of Right to Rise (Jeb's PAC) walked off with at least $14 million for his efforts

A Real American. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/politics/mike-murphy-jeb-bush-drops-out-right-to-rise/index.html

Mike Murphy, the head of Right to Rise (Jeb's PAC) walked off with at least $14 million for his efforts

:shittypop:

drat! I wish I could make millions of dollars off of months of continued failure! All I've got for my efforts are a bunch of lovely posts on a dying forum!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The GOP campaign system is grifters all the way down.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fried Chicken posted:

Guess what, Jeb? :capitalism:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shifty Pony posted:

The GOP campaign system is grifters all the way down.

Have you seen Fox News recently? It's gold bonds and lovely meds every other commercial. Without grifting and scamming, the entire conservative financial system would collapse.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Have you seen Fox News recently? It's gold bonds and lovely meds every other commercial. Without grifting and scamming, the entire conservative financial system would collapse.
Gold bonds or Gold Bond?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:shittypop:

drat! I wish I could make millions of dollars off of months of continued failure! All I've got for my efforts are a bunch of lovely posts on a dying forum!

A guy I trained last cycle was pulling 7 a month this cycle.

I know of a few who do their own independent consulting and charge 5 a month; and have multiple clients.

The catch is you are always an independent contractor, always on the move, and always have to be networking to get clients, and while that's true of any self employment gig the pool of clients is a lot smaller and the competition a lot more cutthroat.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
This is not an Onion article.

quote:

"That's the way we have to negotiate for our country ... the lights go off, it's better," he said. "We say we want the lights. Oh, it's terrible, we take a big deduction off the rent because the lights are off, but it's actually better. It's the kind of sick thinking we really need for our country. Isn't that right?"

The lights remained off for the rest of the rally, per Trump's very loud, very public request. An audio operator told NBC News that a protester pulled the cable.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Didn't Karl Rove walk off with an assload of money after the disaster of 2012 simply because of the on hand cash of the SPACs?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The amount of money changing hands in politics is so staggeringly absurd that it isn't surprising these plutocrats have no idea what its like to live in the US as a normal person.

To them, it's not all that bad here because they are not susceptible to:
-medical bankruptcy
-random acts of violence
-recession, and thus;
-poverty
-hunger
-budgetary constraints
-failing infrastructure,
so they don't particularly give a gently caress. They only care as much as is absolutely necessary to garner votes. Period.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

The amount of money changing hands in politics is so staggeringly absurd that it isn't surprising these plutocrats have no idea what its like to live in the US as a normal person.

-medical bankruptcy
-random acts of violence
-recession, and thus;
-poverty
-hunger
-budgetary constraints
-failing infrastructure,
so they don't particularly give a gently caress. They only care as much as is absolutely necessary to garner votes. Period.

Burn them. The guillotine is too swift.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have read this four times and I still can't understand it

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

LeeMajors posted:

-medical bankruptcy
-random acts of violence
-recession, and thus;
-poverty
-hunger
-budgetary constraints
-failing infrastructure,

And how the gently caress do we get out of this hole? They run everything.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

A law forbidding reportage of mass shootings would absolutely save more lives than an AWB (as in, it would save more than loving zero lives). Of course that law shouldn't happen because rights aren't as malleable nor are mass shootings as significant and important as public safety types would like to imagine.

Actually rights are very malleable. They only exist because the majority consent to them as something that is worthy of cherishing.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 22, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

blue squares posted:

I have read this four times and I still can't understand it

There's nothing to understand.

It would be hilarious if Trump's downfall came as the result of finally becoming too megalomaniacal now that he doesn't have Jeb to act as a foil/punching bag anymore, but we both know there's no such thing as too much megalomania for American politicians anymore.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It would be hilarious if Trump's downfall came as the result of finally becoming too megalomaniacal now that he doesn't have Jeb to act as a foil/punching bag anymore, but we both know there's no such thing as too much megalomania for American politicians anymore.

He's got Clinton now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I guess he's arguing that there's an inherent nobility to living in the cold and having all your food rot just to clear out some overhead in the monthly expenses, with an added hint of this giving greater room for negotiation? Makes perfect sense to a billionaire probably, one who doesn't understand how expensive it is to be poor and how some things are non-negotiable

Really though it's just the same word salad he's been spewing this whole time. I think he was just throwing poo poo out there to try to spin a protester getting the better of him in his favor

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, I think Skeletor would have a pretty good shot as a Republican governor.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

nerve posted:

And how the gently caress do we get out of this hole? They run everything.

It's really easy to fall into fatalism, but we're on the verge of a liberal Supreme Court radically altering our interpretations of the Constitution for the first time in American history and four more years of a Democrat trollin' up a storm in the White House, possibly more if the downballot really goes for the Dems in a hyuge way.

We're also potentially on the verge of a Republican Congress and White House, though so :shrug:

(I personally think it's impossible for the Republicans to win because of the simple fact that the economy is kicking rear end in terms of growth and unemployment and Obama hasn't suffered any major foreign policy failures or scandals, among a variety of other things that tend to make people vote the incumbent party out of power, though.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

He's got Clinton now.

Clinton possesses a basic knowledge of how to punch back, at least, compared to Jeb's limp fists, and I think she'll be able to do so without dignifying Trump with the ego-feeding energy he requires to live.

Ratoslov posted:

I'm thinking...South Dakota or Oklahoma, maybe? Although Texas seems like a good bet.

EDIT: Yes, Florida definitely makes the most sense.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ratoslov posted:

He already is.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kilroy posted:

Gold bonds or Gold Bond?

Yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Much like how Gore had it in the bag against Bush due to Clinton's years being so good for the US?

The Dems absolutely can lose this election and if GOP voters turn out at even half as much higher a rate in the general than they have been in the primaries so far the Dems are going to have a bad day with battleground states.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

He's got Clinton now.

Is Clinton Kodos or Kang?

e: I misread this. Basically, two megalomaniacs going against each other? It's Kodos versus Kang!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Evil Fluffy posted:

Much like how Gore had it in the bag against Bush due to Clinton's years being so good for the US?

The Dems absolutely can lose this election and if GOP voters turn out at even half as much higher a rate in the general than they have been in the primaries so far the Dems are going to have a bad day with battleground states.

Never underestimate the power of "well it's time to give the other side a shot to be fair!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Right. I wasn't joking in my statement. A big problem in the GOP campaign world is that everyone is out for number one and primarily interested in lining their own pockets as rapidly as possible, as well as positioning themselves highly relative to other operatives even if that means hobbling the campaigns by not sharing information or strategy. The Democrats on the other hand have a bit more idealism to harness (and exploit) for cheap labor and infrastructure.

One of the often unreported side effects of the current pac funding system is that there are a whole bunch of "fake" pacs which exist to fool people into donating money to them by adopting names very close to the real super pacs. That money then goes right into paying fundraising expenses to a buddy of the leader of the offending super pac, and the email/phone number gets added to a database which the super pac will kindly rent out to anyone willing to give them enough money.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

LeeMajors posted:

-medical bankruptcy
-random acts of violence
-recession, and thus;
-poverty
-hunger
-budgetary constraints
-failing infrastructure,

I've been listening to one candidate (Baron Hill) give his "I'm relating to the common people" story at a few events.
It is that he went to buy tickets to the Superbowl and had to pay $3000 per seat for them.

I would note that at one of these events at least half the audience had 2 jobs to make ends meet.

anyways, here is Obama meeting with a 106 year old woman at the White House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvK2_1RJyc

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Evil Fluffy posted:

"battleground states"

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

He already is.

That's Lord Voldomort I thought?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ComradeCosmobot posted:

He already is.

I quite enjoyed watching State Senators try to make the Florida-FEMA director say the words "climate change" in a hearing.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/23/the...climate_change/

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Clinton possesses a basic knowledge of how to punch back, at least, compared to Jeb's limp fists, and I think she'll be able to do so without dignifying Trump with the ego-feeding energy he requires to live.

Also, this is like the only situation where being a woman is an advantage in politics. Ann Richards was ten points behind her rival in Texas - despite his multiple scandals - but won the governorship when he refused to shake her hand in a debate a week before the election. Before he was blatantly disrespectful the race was "Claytie and the lady" - she didn't even have a name. After he shat on her in public while she maintained dignity he became the loser and she became Governor.

Bullying bluster simply has a different social connotation aimed at a woman. Rather than making you look strong it makes you look weak. And due to different social expectations of women Clinton can do what Jeb couldn't - be above it and unmoved by it like in the Benghazi commission. When Jeb tried that trump took shots at his masculinity. A "real man" would view these as "fighting words" and Jeb isn't fighting ergo Jeb is unmanly and unworthy of your vote. This got to Jeb and put him on tilt. His distress just emphasized the attack and made him look juvenile and weak. Clinton has no masculinity to defend and can't be baited like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

McAlister posted:

Also, this is like the only situation where being a woman is an advantage in politics. Ann Richards was ten points behind her rival in Texas - despite his multiple scandals - but won the governorship when he refused to shake her hand in a debate a week before the election. Before he was blatantly disrespectful the race was "Claytie and the lady" - she didn't even have a name. After he shat on her in public while she maintained dignity he became the loser and she became Governor.

Bullying bluster simply has a different social connotation aimed at a woman. Rather than making you look strong it makes you look weak. And due to different social expectations of women Clinton can do what Jeb couldn't - be above it and unmoved by it like in the Benghazi commission. When Jeb tried that trump took shots at his masculinity. A "real man" would view these as "fighting words" and Jeb isn't fighting ergo Jeb is unmanly and unworthy of your vote. This got to Jeb and put him on tilt. His distress just emphasized the attack and made him look juvenile and weak. Clinton has no masculinity to defend and can't be baited like that.

Ok, this is the first really solid pro-Clinton argument I've seen. Good point.

I think the counterpoint though is that Trump is uniquely shameless and can attack Clinton in ways that would be completely unacceptable for other kinds of candidates; what he did to Megyn Kelly will be a bare shadow of politeness compared to the rank misogyny he's going to unleash on Clinton. Maybe that's not a good reason to not support Clinton, though, just like "he'll be subject to racist attacks" wasn't a good reason to oppose Obama (even if, statistically, in hindsight, it looks like Obama did lose about five percentage points on average due to his race, relative to where a white candidate would have been).

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You think all the racism/sexism debate in the Dem Primary was hot talk? Just wait until you get Clinton and Trump on stage. I'll bring the popcorn.

Trump has so far been bulletproof in all of his debates. The last one was really telling when he's not afraid to tell off an entire crowd booing at him. He's also insanely good at sensing/pushing people's buttons. I don't think a lot of Jeb's characters flaws would've come to light until Trump just exposed them.

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 22, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You think all the racism/sexism debate in the Dem Primary was hot talk? Just wait until you get Clinton and Trump on stage. I'll bring the popcorn.

Trump has so far been bulletproof in all of his debates. The last one was really telling when he's not afraid to tell off an entire crowd booing at him.

I think it'll be a bit different with him vs a democratic candidate and not in a room full of fuckwads.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Never underestimate the power of "well it's time to give the other side a shot to be fair!"

I asked about this before, it unlikely to happen this time.

Maybe. Just make sure your passport is up to date and your bugout bag and list of US expat countries is ready.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Trump has so far been bulletproof in all of his debates. The last one was really telling when he's not afraid to tell off an entire crowd booing at him. He's also insanely good at sensing/pushing people's buttons. I don't think a lot of Jeb's characters flaws would've come to light until Trump just exposed them.

Eh... Trump certainly played a role in doing Jeb in, but it's worth remembering that the whole "I would have/won't say if I would have/would not have gone into Iraq" thing was a month before Trump even announced.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, this is the first really solid pro-Clinton argument I've seen. Good point.

I think the counterpoint though is that Trump is uniquely shameless and can attack Clinton in ways that would be completely unacceptable for other kinds of candidates; what he did to Megyn Kelly will be a bare shadow of politeness compared to the rank misogyny he's going to unleash on Clinton. Maybe that's not a good reason to not support Clinton, though, just like "he'll be subject to racist attacks" wasn't a good reason to oppose Obama (even if, statistically, in hindsight, it looks like Obama did lose about five percentage points on average due to his race, relative to where a white candidate would have been).

I would argue that misogyny will be much harder to wield without risking self-inflicted wounds. Trump has already come under what I would consider semi-successful attack after some of his comments, and I think they could have sunk him in a "normal" campaign where his opponents weren't just miraculously awful. Hell, Jeb could have likely salvaged his campaign earlier on if he had actually physically swung a punch (and connected) at Trump, except Jeb was pathetic in the extreme and would probably have been either beaten up in return or whiffed and started crying on stage.

Dogwhistling is a lot harder when over half the audience is the target and harder still when the person across the stage has the balls to call you on it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Reminder that Trump is appealing to a minority of a minority. The greater American electorate isn't going to give a pass to rank misogyny.

I think assuming that Republicans couldn't sink Trump is wrong. I think they never tried because they assumed it would go away on its own and it clearly hasn't. The Democrats -- regardless of the nominee -- won't make that miscalculation.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder that Trump is appealing to a minority of a minority. The greater American electorate isn't going to give a pass to rank misogyny.

I think assuming that Republicans couldn't sink Trump is wrong. I think they never tried because they assumed it would go away on its own and it clearly hasn't. The Democrats -- regardless of the nominee -- won't make that miscalculation.

A minority of a minority? He's consistently winning a plurality of primary elections at 34%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

A minority of a minority? He's consistently winning a plurality of primary elections at 34%.

In other words, you better hope Bloomberg doesn't join the race.

• Locked thread