Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Dusty Lens posted:

Gorf and AP have made many good posts with good points and I treasure their contributions.

Some subreddit is ripping itself to shreds because of shitposting on another forum and a story they remember reading about someones mining ship being blown up 6 years ago by people who don't give a poo poo about SC.

Makes you think.

The ship probably wasn't even blown up by goons. It was probably a goon friendly org like code but eve carebears blame every bad thing on goons. Just like the star citizen reddit really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Galarox posted:

Another eg of goons dictating the narative is the instabans on anything related to (a) Stimpire and (b) Commando

edited to add and (c) parp

The poor stimpire guy can't even talk about his opus. He's the real victim here

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

quote:

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE

Monday, February 22nd
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] 10 for the Developers: Episode 06 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, February 23rd
- Jump Point Rerun

Wednesday, February 24th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] February Subscriber Edition Reverse the Verse w/ Writers - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
- Vault Update

Thursday, February 25th
- [1200 PST / 2000 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.20 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, February 26th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
probably 10ftc next week, then.

I predict a backlash from subscribers over AtV somehow having even less content now.
The only thing CIG's been able to release on time is their bullshit amateur internet shows.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:pgabz: latest video is going to mess with that dude's brain

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

i dont know why people kept asking chris it was already clearly stated here

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Dear Chris,

I know you like to take distinctly non-spacey things like motorcycles and submarines and shoehorning them into your space adventures. Here is a very good idea that you should seriously consider

- The Space Galley
Of course it wouldn't have oars or drums and stuff, that would just be silly. Instead, 80 crewmen will each man a separate, manually operated thruster - this makes almost exactly as much sense as manual turrets. The head commando will direct them by pointing in a direction, and they will keep in sync by... OK I lied, there will be oarsmen and drummers. Also it has a trireme-style rod in the front for ramming.

The drumming should be heard in nearby ships to immersialize their fear and awe.

You're very welcome

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

aleksendr posted:

No Elite pro (i'm barely a month in) but i'm getting good results with this :

Cobra III, half free internals in armor boosters and the other half shield and shield cell banks. 2 fixed medium multicannons and beam laser for the 2 small hardpoints. Go with D or C fittings except for shields and the power distributors that can be B. Your not going to solo Condas and Pythons for fun but you can still shoot mans for cheap.

Most A grade Internals are not worth it unless your alredy swimming in money. For the Cobra III a 4B shield will give you 116 MJ of protection for 500k cr, 4A shields give you 124 MJ for 1,6M cr. That extra half second of shield for 1,1M wont save you if your already in the deep end.

One of the popular PVP meta seem to be space submarine warfare. Run silent and sneak up close, bust shields with beams and then double torpedo in the rear end. Unprepared or badly fitted ships goes *pop* in a single pass.

Yeah, I think I've gotten too caught up in just doing the whole exploration thing, even though it pays peanuts. My little Adder is cute and all, but it's a complete mishmash of components that make it easy to travel far and… that's about it. No real focus and very little understanding of what the stuff actually does.

Hell, I was ⅓ way to the Orion nebula through two dozen empty and uninhabited systems before I had to turn back and find somewhere to fix my half-broken components from careless scooping… and only on returning to civilisation do I realise how the scanner works and that many of those “empty” systems probably were anything but. :haw:

It was a fun trip, though.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Dear Chris,

I know you like to take distinctly non-spacey things like motorcycles and submarines and shoehorning them into your space adventures. Here is a very good idea that you should seriously consider

- The Space Galley
Of course it wouldn't have oars or drums and stuff, that would just be silly. Instead, 80 crewmen will each man a separate, manually operated thruster - this makes almost exactly as much sense as manual turrets. The head commando will direct them by pointing in a direction, and they will keep in sync by... OK I lied, there will be oarsmen and drummers. Also it has a trireme-style rod in the front for ramming.

The drumming should be heard in nearby ships to immersialize their fear and awe.

You're very welcome

Spelljammer is awesome. Also stupid. Maybe it's one reinforcing the other, but it's hard to tell.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 22, 2016

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

The poor stimpire guy can't even talk about his opus. He's the real victim here

indeed. let us remember poor Zealot :roflolmao:

Galarox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 22, 2016

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dear Chris,

- The Space Galley

You're very welcome

:five:

Yup. I think B'tak would be very immersed as a galley "slave"

at least that's what I etc

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

I'm 99% sure this guy is a goon (just based on that post)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Happy Sisyphus posted:

i dont know why people kept asking chris it was already clearly stated here

It is as it was forseen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

same

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
That guy who was posted before is aware of us

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6391204/#Comment_6391204

This combined with his change in tone I feel is related :getin:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dear Chris,

- The Space Galley

You're very welcome

I propose the Space Galley as the first DLC ship for Solar Plebian. It start slow and weak but the more birds you collect the stronger it get.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Illegal Move posted:

I'm 99% sure this guy is a goon (just based on that post)

No, a goon is well aware of Mr Smart. That's your lesser-spotted moderate poster, or 'chock-gargler'. They'll be seen in increasing numbers through the year as the migration gathers steam.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

With a bit of scripting and Wordle's "advanced" mode, I came up with this, but it's getting biased by people's title text (and the word filter):

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Here's the thread text dump, split by word, deduped, and with counts. It's sorted by word rather than count though, and I didn't throw out short words :krakken:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfdc55y3im3dfw6/wordlist.txt?dl=0

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

BMan posted:

With a bit of scripting and Wordle's "advanced" mode, I came up with this, but it's getting biased by people's title text (and the word filter):

nice work, but I'm sad stimpire or jpeg didn't make the cut

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Note how it doesn't have a name on it.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's what my fiance referred to herself in a picture text message 2 days before she passed away in the hospital. It's actually a term of endearment from me but they'd never know. The text read "here's a photo from your favorite meatbag." She had a wonderful sense of humor.

drat. My sincerest condolences.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
For ED immersion fans I discovered this today

http://www.edtracker.co.uk/products/pro

It's like trackIR except 1/3rd of the price for the premade one and much less for the DIY one. Uses accelerometers instead of ir sensors. Only tracks 3dof but for some cheap immersion it looks pretty cool.

No idea how it performs but I'm going to read some more and maybe try it.

e: the tracking works with any game that supports head tracking, not just ED

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a weird feeling when you realize a hundred million dollar company can be actively swayed by some random stranger on the Internet.

Not a random stranger, but a shameless "troll". Like, in what direction do you take your company where it can't be the target of more mockery? (Besides delivering a working product as advertised. If they were able to do that we wouldn't be here in the first place).

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

G0RF posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite...

I can only imagine Chris' horror when epic moments spontaneously happen in Braben's game. Chris fakes his epic gameplay moments with 'in engine' videos and has gotten so much mileage out of it... but so little comes out of the gameplay itself that they instead industrialize their glitch video output and panhandle for backer videos, hoping that somebody, anybody, managed to record themselves doing something interesting in their boring rear end game...

loving hell thats amazing... poo poo like this is what i expected of Star Citizen early on.

The sounds of those ships jumping and the storm clouds as it pops out of hyper space. That poo poo gets me pumped but the gameplay is so "Ehhh, sucks" that i just cant bring myself to play it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite...

I can only imagine Chris' horror when epic moments spontaneously happen in Braben's game. Chris fakes his epic gameplay moments with 'in engine' videos and has gotten so much mileage out of it... but so little comes out of the gameplay itself that they instead industrialize their glitch video output and panhandle for backer videos, hoping that somebody, anybody, managed to record themselves doing something interesting in their boring rear end game...

I hope the paaarp sound is part of the game. I'll chuckle every time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Berious posted:

It's like trackIR except 1/3rd of the price for the premade one and much less for the DIY one. Uses accelerometers instead of ir sensors. Only tracks 3dof but for some cheap immersion it looks pretty cool.

Also debating grabbing that at some point. Once I figure out how to best attach it to my headset

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

G0RF posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite...

The sound adds so much to it - I actually tried watching it without sound as well at it wasn't nearly as exciting.

This might seem like a weird comment, but there is some stuff out there that doesn't have sound in space and still is atmospheric and awesome (for example, Firefly). I'm not saying that it's bad that Elite has sound in space, it's just something that's interesting to me.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I have a process going doing a count of each unique word right now, we're going to have some GRAPHS of this bitch.

e: gently caress, huge.

ee: Thanks for the data, RabbitWizard

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

loving hell thats amazing... poo poo like this is what i expected of Star Citizen early on.

The sounds of those ships jumping and the storm clouds as it pops out of hyper space. That poo poo gets me pumped but the gameplay is so "Ehhh, sucks" that i just cant bring myself to play it.

The sound design of Elite is very good. It help to pilot your ship "by ear" if you pay attention to the cues and you might have to someday since your head up display is on your canopy that may end up destroyed during combat. As time goes by the content will grow so maybe it will eventually reach the critical mass necessary to keep you interested.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Berious posted:

I've built two (one with a 6050 MPU and one with a 9150). It's really easy, and they work great. If you are going to build one yourself, definitely get the 9150 though.

The USB port on the Arduinos are a bit fragile. I snapped my first one off while unplugging it, and I wasn't the only one. Glue or tape it up. Or just don't unplug it ever.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

OWLS! posted:

I have a process going doing a count of each unique word right now, we're going to have some GRAPHS of this bitch.

e: gently caress, huge.

I think you need to strip out all the repeated button/title text somehow.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I think you need to strip out all the repeated button/title text somehow.

Gimme a few minutes.

E: Nope, it's already stripped out. Otherwise we would have had "EDIT" in giant honking letters there.

loving around with the margins a bit, I like this one better.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 22, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Illegal Move posted:

The sound adds so much to it - I actually tried watching it without sound as well at it wasn't nearly as exciting.

This might seem like a weird comment, but there is some stuff out there that doesn't have sound in space and still is atmospheric and awesome (for example, Firefly). I'm not saying that it's bad that Elite has sound in space, it's just something that's interesting to me.
Elite doesn't have sound in space, it's part of your ship's UI.

If your canopy is breached the external sounds get muted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vR8pZ9wWjQ

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BMan posted:

i read this as "people just like poo"

sandi is literally a bird brain

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:aaa:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, but can I serve drinks on it while dressed as a sex slave?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah, but can I serve drinks on it while dressed as a sex slave?

I doubt you can control your spaceman controlling the toilet while you lay a space log either

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ha! But does Elite have planetary landings yet......oh wait.

Er does Elite have birds? Checkmate!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Sci fi spaceship comparison charts are a pretty retarded thign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a whole 16 players can stand in an awkard pose on that ship before falling through the bottom of it

makes u think

• Locked thread