Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Silver Brushes posted:

Looking at it here there's a lot more going on than you can pick up in the film: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eravana Can't really tell where the cockpit/bridge or engines are but I assume it's facing forward. The corner of the ship on the right side of the image looks like it may have a tiny, Falcon-like cockpit.

That's actually a really cool design, too bad it wasn't used much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerkface posted:

I like it because its a space whale shark that eats other ships. Han is the galaxy's big fish, who yearns to go back to the time before there was no one left in the galaxy for him to swindle.

Han has become part of the system of leviathan worship and sacrifice.

Quigon loved the biggest fish.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:barf:

This is an image from a children's book. Those poor kids.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe you're supposed to put a sticker in the middle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Please tell me Han has a wedding ring on his left hand.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That'll do.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

That looks hilariously like the last supper.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

McDowell posted:

Han's freighter is a flying hangar deck like the Flurry from 'Truce At Bakura' guys - corporate loves you. Canon is real.

Naw, Rebels recently repurposed the Flurry as an Imperial design, which gets captured by the rebels by the end of the episode, so I guess it balances out.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cnut the Great posted:

So, moving on to a new topic--

Why am I wrong in thinking that the design of Han Solo's freighter (a central plot location, mind you) is mediocre to the point of being instantly forgettable?

It looks like a giant square (because square = mechanical) mechawhale that eats the main heroes and their ship the Millenium Falcon, echoing that time Han Solo got eaten by an actual organic space whaleworm, you bitter old bean. Han is outside the Millenium Falcon, he's given up his old life, as if he gave up ever escaping the space whaleworm and is just content to live within it, his entire life operating around the principle of what's going to happen next on the soaps.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

To show that I'm not just determined to rag on TFA at all costs, allow me to restate my opinion that I like the design of Starkiller Base:

My favorite thing about Starkiller is that it's like an unblinking eye (complete with eyelashes), staring directly into a sun. The fact that it's another Death Star is, to me, inexcusable, but I also like the design.

My favorite vehicle is Rey's Jakku speeder bike. It recalls Luke's Tatooine landspeeder, turned on its side, and has just a hint of the "literally riding a rocket engine" of Podracing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Naw. Weyland-Yutani's ships are massive, space-faring, industrial cathedrals.

Highly recognizable. Highly memorable.

What ship is that?

quote:

It looks like a giant square (because square = mechanical) mechawhale that eats the main heroes and their ship the Millenium Falcon, echoing that time Han Solo got eaten by an actual organic space whaleworm, you bitter old bean. Han is outside the Millenium Falcon, he's given up his old life, as if he gave up ever escaping the space whaleworm and is just content to live within it, his entire life operating around the principle of what's going to happen next on the soaps.

Yeah, it's a regular vanilla freighter because that's what Han's become. I like the hangar design though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I love her little speeder. :) Got the Lego version of it and it was a quick but fun build. :)

RBA Starblade posted:

What ship is that?

It's the Nostromo from Alien.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Nostromo from Alien.

Technically it's the refinery that the Nostromo is towing. :eng101:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Phylodox posted:

Technically it's the refinery that the Nostromo is towing. :eng101:

Ah, poo poo - youre so right. Always forget that tidbit, hehe.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh neat. I was going to say, I don't recall it looking like that!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Rey's speeder rules.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Ah, poo poo - youre so right. Always forget that tidbit, hehe.

Oh. Well, it left an impression on me.

I probably watched Alien way too many times as a child. Where were my parents?

Astrochicken posted:

That looks hilariously like the last supper.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

computer parts posted:

The entire sequence on that ship is strange. The end point is just to get Han & Chewie back on the Falcon, but it feels like something else should have come out of it.

I mean you got Rey loving around with hardware, but she'd already done that before and after on the Falcon. You get two references to the First Order tracking their position, yet there's another scene in Maz's bar where a spy informs the First Order where they are (despite the fact that Han & Chewie found them after like 5 minutes in space).

I guess they just wanted to stretch the time they had with Harrison Ford, but even them just chilling at Maz's probably could've gotten that done better.

They should have used the time taken up by the rathtar sequence to maybe instead have a slower series of scenes where Han could bond with Rey in a more meaningful way. Then he could actually come across as a real surrogate father figure to her, as opposed to just being a sort of nice man she met a few hours ago who offered her a job.

Unfortunately the movie never lets up on its relentless pace after the relatively well-paced first act on Jakku. It's like J.J. was afraid the seams would start showing if he just took a couple minutes to let things breathe a little bit. All the characters in TFA interact like they're extras in a Law & Order episode. "No time to just talk! Can't slow down! Gotta keep stacking these loving boxes!"

Watch TFA and count how many times two or more characters frantically talk over one another in rapid intervals while imparting important character and plot information. It's insane. I'ts like J.J. looked at the lightning quick pacing of A New Hope and was like, "That's good! That's what everyone likes! Let's do that, except turn it up to 11. No people sitting on couches in this movie, no sir!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but I love all that though and think it's a good thing. It's energetic. It moves. Moving is good.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
JJ assumes the audience has ADHD. I think it's stupid and hurts his movies, but it's hard to say it doesn't get results. I mean, the best scenes in 8MM are the quiet ones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

8MM isn't a space adventure film.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why is it whenever a director makes a choice, its because they were afraid? Like maybe JJ just likes fast paced things, maybe its not for his audience but for him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

"That's good! That's what everyone likes! Let's do that, except turn it up to 11. No people sitting on couches in this movie, no sir!"

Thank God for that too.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PBS Newshour posted:

Why is it whenever a director makes a choice, its because they were afraid? Like maybe JJ just likes fast paced things, maybe its not for his audience but for him.

Okay, sure. It hurts the film, though, is the point. It's not like I'm the only one to point this out.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thank God for that too.

Yeah, thank God there weren't any scenes like this:

I don't know about you, but the moment two characters in a movie sit down to talk, I fall right the gently caress to sleep. It's inexcusably lazy filmmaking. Why aren't Luke and Ben frantically shouting at each other while being chased down a hallway by a tentacle monster??? Lucas, you hack!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PBS Newshour posted:

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They had that scene but it was in front of water instead of dirt.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

Anyway, I'm not bashing TFA. I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Really! It's a decent movie. I'm simply pointing out some of its widely overlooked flaws which prevent it from being a great movie. All the criticisms of TFA people are posting here are really so incredibly, incredibly mild when you consider what's been said in the past about other movies in the series.

It's weird that people in this thread get so incredibly defensive about the slightest technical criticisms being made of TFA, a movie which has met with near-universal critical and popular acclaim, and which has quickly become one of the highest-grossing movies of all time.

This is the internet after all. I liked TFA but I can certainly agree that I missed Lucas's steadier pace. When I read a review that said Abrams had made a more old fashioned movie, that's what I expected; I came out of the theater pleased overall but a little breathless, and wondering what exactly that reviewer had meant.

However, we watched his Star Trek movies this past week and, although I saw TFA only once, my recollection is that it wasn't quite THAT kinetic, because although I like those too, they are kind of insane. Or maybe I'm just getting old, but it seemed like each shot lasted an average of about 0.8 seconds.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

porfiria posted:

JJ assumes the audience has ADHD. I think it's stupid and hurts his movies, but it's hard to say it doesn't get results. I mean, the best scenes in 8MM are the quiet ones.

thats not how ADHd works............

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A breakneck pace is appropriate in some cases - like in the Star Trek reboot, where the characters are constantly bombarded with surreal insanity, forced to keep up the pace or go mad.

It is not appropriate when, for example, Rey complains about being hunted with an anger and weariness that reflects a lifetime on the run. Or when they go to a hipster bar to chill out between chase sequences. Or when FN delivers a monologue about how the New Order are the only family he's ever known. Or when the Resistance guys get trapped in combat while they wait for a signal. Or when Leia mourns her husband.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 24, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

Thank God for that too.

Yeah I know hindsight is 20/20 but if there was even one dialogue scene longer than anything in the movie where both characters are sitting down this thread would be tearing it apart for being too much like the prequels except for two or three people.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A J.J. Abrams take on 8mm would be a hell of a thing. Maybe he could cast himself as the guy holding the mirrors to get enough lens flare in the diegetic snuff films, Hitchcock/Shyamalan/Polanski style.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A breakneck pace is appropriate in some cases - like in the Star Trek reboot, where the characters are constantly bombarded with surreal insanity, force to keep up the pace or go mad.

It is not appropriate when, for example, Rey complains about being hunted with an anger and weariness that reflects a lifetime on the run. Or when they go to a hipster bar to chill out between chase sequence. Or when FN delivers a monologue about how the New Order are the only family he's ever known. Or when the Resistance guys get trapped in combat while they wait for a signal. Or when Leia mourns her husband.

Yeah, that makes sense. I get that some people wish the new Trek movies weren't so frenetic, but it's appropriate for the subject matter, and indeed the overall premise of the original show would benefit from it as well. Exploring strange new worlds, the final frontier, going to see what's out there, and usually getting in way above our heads. Try on Q's challenge to Picard: "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you'd better go home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross - but it's not for the timid." If anything, the reboot films aren't crazy enough yet.

Starkiller Base on the other hand is just about treated as another day at the office by the Resistance; tonally it'd almost be better shot like those Looney Tunes cartoons, with the sheepdog Ackbar and the wolf Hux: "Mornin', Ralph." "Mornin', Sam."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I know hindsight is 20/20 but if there was even one dialogue scene longer than anything in the movie where both characters are sitting down this thread would be tearing it apart for being too much like the prequels except for two or three people.

I really don't think that would be the case. There is a lot of middle ground between the two.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I will never, ever understand the thinking behind ROTJ Death Star II and the new one in the new film. The repeating of trench runs, hitting the one vulnerable spot, etc. I don't care how "thematic" it is. It is just straight-up lame.

It works well in the '77 film but repeating it is a real sorry loving decision, both in '83 and 2015.

The idea was so lame Marvel comics came up with it in the '70s. They had to run all storylines past some Lucasfilm rep before they could be approved, and when they broached their lame idea, Lucasfilm said no because they were going to use the idea on ROTJ. And then this thing in JJ's film just pushes it way over the line. It's bad.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I will never, ever understand the thinking behind ROTJ Death Star II and the new one in the new film. The repeating of trench runs, hitting the one vulnerable spot, etc. I don't care how "thematic" it is. It is just straight-up lame.

It works well in the '77 film but repeating it is a real sorry loving decision, both in '83 and 2015.

The idea was so lame Marvel comics came up with it in the '70s. They had to run all storylines past some Lucasfilm rep before they could be approved, and when they broached their lame idea, Lucasfilm said no because they were going to use the idea on ROTJ. And then this thing in JJ's film just pushes it way over the line. It's bad.

But the "under construction" Death Star in RotJ is a trap, right? Like, it's meant to draw the Rebel fleet and Luke Skywalker into positions where both can be eliminated. It's not just "well, let's try that one more time," it's "the Rebels won't be able to resist attacking this."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

MrMojok posted:

In a lot of ways, Death Star II telegraphs a lot of what people disliked about the prequels- Lucas clearly looked back at the trench run in ANH and said "I can do better, if I had had the tools back then that I do now, it would look like this!" Watching ROTJ is almost literally the first thing I remember in my life, so I was never able to be critical about it, but it is objectively stupid beyond forgiveness.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

homullus posted:

But the "under construction" Death Star in RotJ is a trap, right? Like, it's meant to draw the Rebel fleet and Luke Skywalker into positions where both can be eliminated. It's not just "well, let's try that one more time," it's "the Rebels won't be able to resist attacking this."

It is a trap in the sense of it is fully operation which the rebels were not aware of, but it was still intended to be a battle-station to keep the systems in line and I found it extremely lame as a kid. Return of the Jedi is a mish-mash of the franchise's lows and absolute peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The trap aspect works well, making Luke look impotently on while the fleet is destroyed. I loved the Palp-Luke-Vader stuff there, but couldn't they have used a different plot device or setting, rather than a second death star with a critical weakness?

And that JJ basically has Death Star III is just mind-boggling to me.

• Locked thread