Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Arkane posted:

It has been a godawful week for Cruz. No position for me.

Same. That third place stings and so does the Rubio Bible story. As bullish as I was on Cruz, given that GA poll he's pretty toast long term and I try not to take big positions in a state against candidate momentum overall.

---

Count me on the Trump bandwagon I guess, because I don't see how Rubio can sweep the back half after getting swept in the front half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gman14msu posted:

So what are your tips for flipping? Obviously buy low and sell higher, but what do you look for to find the bottom/top? Do you look at anything related to the volume traded? Are you taking $.01-.02 profits per share or more like $.04-.05? How long do you wait to flip? Is it more like minutes or several hours or even a day? Do you leave active offers open to sell or do you watch the prices?
There's graphs in the markets you can look at.

There's election night flipping when there's lots of volatility (riskier, I generally stay away, but lots of goons here do it). For slow weeks between elections, I'll look at the graphs for a pattern, let's say Sanders in a state is bouncing between a 41c high and a 35c low consistently, so I'll set an automatic buy order on the lower side, check it occasionally, and put in an auto-sale order slightly below the high (like 39c or 40c depending on how I'm feeling). Because even though 41c is the high, doesn't mean anybody will buy.

It takes a few hours of waiting at minimum, but more typically a day or two. I'll make maybe $10 or $20. But doing it repeatedly adds up compared to how much I'm playing with. Sometimes the fluctuation will stop and I'll exit the market with no gains. Sometimes I'll settle for +1 or +2 cents per share. Sometimes I lose a little bit.

Volume traded is important, as well as the "spread" (I think that's the right term). I don't want to buy in a market where the outstanding buy orders are all very low. It means the fish won't bite. But since I'm only playing with a few hundred bucks I don't worry about volume in most markets, since there are thousands of shares flying around in the ones I trade in.

Edit: I've turned $220 into $346 doing this. It's small beans, but not a bad return really. If Trump wins NV I'll make about $40. I play for beer money and b/c it's fun. My actual investments are in low-cost index funds lmao.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Feb 24, 2016

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The R vp markets are pretty good if you can wait several days to turn 2c into 3c.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Omi-Polari posted:

There's graphs in the markets you can look at.

There's election night flipping when there's lots of volatility (riskier, I generally stay away, but lots of goons here do it). For slow weeks between elections, I'll look at the graphs for a pattern, let's say Sanders in a state is bouncing between a 41c high and a 35c low consistently, so I'll set an automatic buy order on the lower side, check it occasionally, and put in an auto-sale order slightly below the high (like 39c or 40c depending on how I'm feeling). Because even though 41c is the high, doesn't mean anybody will buy.

It takes a few hours of waiting at minimum, but more typically a day or two. I'll make maybe $10 or $20. But doing it repeatedly adds up compared to how much I'm playing with. Sometimes the fluctuation will stop and I'll exit the market with no gains. Sometimes I'll settle for +1 or +2 cents per share. Sometimes I lose a little bit.

Volume traded is important, as well as the "spread" (I think that's the right term). I don't want to buy in a market where the outstanding buy orders are all very low. It means the fish won't bite. But since I'm only playing with a few hundred bucks I don't worry about volume in most markets, since there are thousands of shares flying around in the ones I trade in.

Edit: I've turned $220 into $346 doing this. It's small beans, but not a bad return really. If Trump wins NV I'll make about $40. I play for beer money and b/c it's fun. My actual investments are in low-cost index funds lmao.

This is a good post, I typed some long effort post and my tablet battery died before I could post it now I'm all huffy

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Use the graphs, be patient, watch for patterns

Flipping is a good strategy for markets that are super volatile right now or those that have a long time before closing.

You don't want a market to close on you when you are doing this so keep an eye on that

I shoot for 100% returns or more on really cheap single digit markets (like vp markets) but I'm verrrry happy with 20-50% on more expensive ones, like buying shares at 20 cents and selling at 25 is a 25% return, thats very good and very attainable in markets with a lot of movement

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

The R vp markets are pretty good if you can wait several days to turn 2c into 3c.

I've been doing this reliably and it's working, 1-5 cent shares with even a little volatility are yuuuuuuge

I always think about it in terms of percentages, so I'm drawn to flipping cheap shares for more profit, but of course that's naturally more risky because you are betting on a cheap share to spike, but if you look at the graphs you can spot patterns easily. If a certain share cycles from 3 cents to 8 cents every few days for the past 6 weeks, that's a Great Chance to make money, regardless of how stupid or unlikely the particular event is.

Sometimes I am thinking like a day trader, with no concern for the actual future of the market I'm in, simply betting on price movement, which is all about pattern recognition

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

So like to be fair I'm still sitting on several hundreds of junk shares that I purchased at 1 or 2 cents a piece just cuz there is zero movement And I dont expect anyone to buy them, so that's the risk

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

what is the current concensous on SCOTUS confirm? I am thinking that it is basically a bet on if the dems/reps take the presidency and/or white house, and with this $0.20 swing then yes is becoming more tempting

Well, considering all three of those markets close 1/20/2017...

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Adar posted:

Same. That third place stings and so does the Rubio Bible story. As bullish as I was on Cruz, given that GA poll he's pretty toast long term and I try not to take big positions in a state against candidate momentum overall.

---

Count me on the Trump bandwagon I guess, because I don't see how Rubio can sweep the back half after getting swept in the front half.

Clearly by not attacking the frontrunner.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
So, looks like voting night volatility is starting. The Nevada margin of victory market just flipped. 55 cents for 15+ YES. Seems like people are just assuming that the higher turnout is all for Trump.

Holding onto NOs, so I hope that they're wrong.

Can't wait to see what happens to the 2nd place market once the first bit of news comes out.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I bought Nevada Margin of Victory YES at 38 cents. Should I hold for possible $68 profit? Should I sell for $15 profit? I can't decide.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Trump wins he's probably wining by at least 15%. If Trump loses it'll be close and hilarious.

Actually, it's already hilarious and even if I lose all the money I've got on tonight it's been worth it for the entertainment of watching the pure madness that is the Nevada GOP.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adar posted:

It'll happen. I'm eager to see some long odds on Rubio in the meantime.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ahahaha whoops NV blowout market locked at midnight ET

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cruz and Rubio are close right now for 2nd yet Rubio is priced at .80????

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fuschia tude posted:

Ahahaha whoops NV blowout market locked at midnight ET

I was trying to flip, but I didn't realize that's when it closed. Oh well, I'll get my money since Trump is Trumping the gently caress out of Nevada. Thanks to that market I'm coming out ahead despite otherwise betting against Trump.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

massive correction as I speak :toot:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you're looking to make NO bets on Trump or YES bets on anyone else in upcoming races, now's a good time to place some lowball as gently caress orders and hope the reaction to the stomping Trump is giving out tonight will fill them.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

It'll happen. I'm eager to see some long odds on Rubio in the meantime.

Any day now!!

Trump making the bank account great again tonight.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Grats to anyone else who flipped Cruz shares and doubled their cash while he was ahead.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
This is all madness with only 4% reporting...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
America doesn't win anymore, but I do ... thanks to Donald Trump.

He wants me to be successful. He wants me to gamble and win.

It's time to make America great again.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

a cop posted:

Grats to anyone else who flipped Cruz shares and doubled their cash while he was ahead.

Nice job if you did. I was up by $300 and then blinked and now only up by $80

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

a cop posted:

I flipped some to make my money back, bought in low again, now I'm watching it crash to single digits.

Meanwhile Kasich is in a solid 5th and that dropout market price is creeping up.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Concerned Citizen posted:

I bought Nevada Margin of Victory YES at 38 cents. Should I hold for possible $68 profit? Should I sell for $15 profit? I can't decide.

I didn't sell. I can only hope that my greed did not destroy me. Always bet on Trump.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

agreed

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Glad i didn't give up on trump!!!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How the gently caress is Ben Carson dropping out before Super Tuesday only at 20c? I feel like I'm stealing money from people, considering he's basically out of money after Nevada.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bet hard on NV.BLOWOUT YES at .52. I probably bought in at bad odds but gently caress it, don't bet against Trump.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Adar posted:

So no one else is gonna go quote Adar at himself? We're just gonna let this one slide?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Plus another 1000 shares below that 15k set. Ugh, these better sell before Super Tuesday or else I'm probably stuck with them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

Bet hard on NV.BLOWOUT YES at .52. I probably bought in at bad odds but gently caress it, don't bet against Trump.

At this margin anyone who bought YES in that market looks to have only possibly made the mistake of not maxing out before midnight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

Plus another 1000 shares below that 15k set. Ugh, these better sell before Super Tuesday or else I'm probably stuck with them.

Unless Marco and John drop dead by Monday, I'm not seeing any reason anyone would buy Romney YES shares now.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Aliquid posted:

Link to this market? It isn't showing up by searching for blowout or nevada. Predictit kind of has a lovely interface.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshifan823 posted:

How the gently caress is Ben Carson dropping out before Super Tuesday only at 20c? I feel like I'm stealing money from people, considering he's basically out of money after Nevada.
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/702362327480459264

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yoshifan823 posted:

he's not quite right in the head, and for some reason is still invited to debates

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcAhXy9rARk

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

a cop posted:

Link to this market? It isn't showing up by searching for blowout or nevada. Predictit kind of has a lovely interface.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/2176/Will-the-margin-of-victory-in-the-Nevada-Republican-caucuses-exceed-15-percentage-points#data

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a cop posted:

Oh nevermind didn't realize it closed already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fiorina said the exact same thing.

• Locked thread