Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Faaab Squaaad :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nita posted:

Like Payday?

Much as I hate to publicly agree with a Morglon post, yeah, you really shouldn't be engaging a dude like that, not if you can't refrain from dumb internet insults yourself. Let them rage at you, record it, laugh. Don't touch the poop.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Much as I hate to publicly agree with a Morglon post, yeah, you really shouldn't be engaging a dude like that., not if you can't refrain from dumb internet insults yourself. Let them rage at you, record it, laugh. Don't touch the poop.

What are you gonna do, stab him?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Cut out all your dumb internet insults and anime references like I do to make yourself look better.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
They rewrote the post after realizing that they were wrong... I think. I'm not sure what they're actually trying to say, beyond that they were wrong.

https://coffeeborg.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/skill-revamp-grounders-overview/ posted:

I’m not above saying ‘I am sorry, I overreacted/was mistaken’ and as such, that’s what I say & mean. I am sorry. Being a person of passion can turn me into overzealous idiot at times. I’ll go sound the fail-horn for myself.
Here's a copy of the original post before it got edited, for those that want some context.

Buschmaki posted:

Cut out all your dumb internet insults and anime references like I do to make yourself look better.
Yeah, that's what I do as well.

The downside is that people tend to get bored with those who don't say anything at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The idea that not having in-combat regen is gamebreaking is some pretty hilarious blinding.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
You know, if they have the Battle of Procyon V in a mission it would explain why there are 24th Century Ships in the 26th century outside of the Enterprise production staff being lazy.

The Na'kuhl have a stylized iron cross as their species icon. Someone at Cryptic took the Space Nazi thing a little literally.

I'm aware the Iron Cross isn't just a nazi thing.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 23, 2016

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Vulture@rooster241: maybe you dont know about me hmmm?

Vulture@rooster241: V for Vendetta

Vulture@rooster241: spokesman for anon

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
What's that Bort ? There's a bug in the new skill poo poo or something in the underpinnings that's loving with anything that uses Aux power level to determine how much dmg/heal/buff/whatever effect it does ? And the bug is a single misplaced zero ? :crossarms:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1212332/aux-scaling-bug-2-23

Bortyperson posted:

I'm here to confirm that the current scaling effects of Auxiliary Power are very not correct in the current Tribble build.

The internal calculation is currently written as:
((AuxPower * .005) + .05)

It is supposed to be:
((AuxPower * .005) + .5)

Yeah, that's a bad boo-boo on my part. I'm working on the fix right now (lots and lots of find-and-replace), and hope to have it in the next Tribble build.

At least he was nice enough to own up to it. So many people screaming "ZOMG ALL SCI STUFF GOT NERFED JASDJAUJHSDJHAISDKASJKLGMNC!!!!!!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

MREBoy posted:

What's that Bort ? There's a bug in the new skill poo poo or something in the underpinnings that's loving with anything that uses Aux power level to determine how much dmg/heal/buff/whatever effect it does ? And the bug is a single misplaced zero ? :crossarms:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1212332/aux-scaling-bug-2-23

At least he was nice enough to own up to it. So many people screaming "ZOMG ALL SCI STUFF GOT NERFED JASDJAUJHSDJHAISDKASJKLGMNC!!!!!!"

How do you nerf that that was not terribly effective compared to straight dps? :negative:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That is not nerfed which can eternal lie, and in strange seasons even Season n+1 may be The Season of PVP.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Axe-man posted:

How do you nerf that that was not terribly effective compared to straight dps? :negative:

Hey now, compared to a lot of pubbie builds a single Grav Well 3 is seriously high DPS.

It's all relative.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Made a minor calculation error, was found on the test server, going to patch before release. I'm actually impressed, that's how things are meant to work.

DancingShade posted:

Hey now, compared to a lot of pubbie builds a single Grav Well 3 is seriously high DPS.

It's all relative.

Hmm, my Grav Well 3 has the trait that gives it kinetic damage, the secondary deflector that gives it rad damage, and the aftershock doff. It probably would outdamage some pubbies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 24, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MREBoy posted:

"Lots of find and replace".

How quality programs are written.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Made a minor calculation error, was found on the test server, going to patch before release. I'm actually impressed, that's how things are meant to work.

Hmm, my Grav Well 3 has the trait that gives it kinetic damage, the secondary deflector that gives it rad damage, and the aftershock doff. It probably would outdamage some pubbies.

I've seen a number of pubbies do sub-2k DPS so probably yeah.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've seen a number of pubbies do sub-2k DPS so probably yeah.

This reminds me of when we started trolling in earnest and PVP'ing. Gunney, a pubbie shitlord of that era, only managed 73 damage, if I recall correctly. Not 73 DPS, but 73 over the course of a 15-0 space match.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

IPCRESS posted:

I don't want to judge another developer's code without seeing it but good god.

Are we taking bets on one ability getting missed and not being fixed for 8 months?

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 24, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Preechr posted:

This reminds me of when we started trolling in earnest and PVP'ing. Gunney, a pubbie shitlord of that era, only managed 73 damage, if I recall correctly. Not 73 DPS, but 73 over the course of a 15-0 space match.

I have another one, 2v4.

And if for some reason you think oh, pubs like ground better, they might actually not suck at that.

31 damage...

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 24, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Yes, but did the PvP loss motivate Poison Ivey to draw a picture?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

IPCRESS posted:

You betcha. Constants and includes are for dummies, real men spend hours hunting down every last occurrence to eradicate them. Then go back every few days to find the ones he missed.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Ratzap posted:

You betcha. Constants and includes are for dummies, real men spend hours hunting down every last occurrence to eradicate them. Then go back every few days to find the ones he missed.

"As the new programmer for the best mmo ever, lets review this code. So lets see, what does the #include function do and what does it cause the program to do?"

Da Mott Man posted:

I have another one, 2v4.

And if for some reason you think oh, pubs like ground better, they might actually not suck at that.

31 damage...

Even my lovely half assed self that basically just picked random powers that sounded cool and was using like the scaling beam weapons you get off the connie, did more damage than that :negative:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Don't worry, the fix will invariably break something else unforseen and that bug will stick around for months.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Mondian posted:

Don't worry, the fix will invariably break something else unforseen and that bug will stick around for months.

My favorite is when they fix something but gently caress up their source control so it shows up again 6 months later.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ratzap posted:

Remember how he flipped out about 12 hour doff missions, because clearly anything that isn't part of a linear sequence is a bug?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cutedge posted:

I don't want to judge another developer's code without seeing it but good god.

Are we taking bets on one ability getting missed and not being fixed for 8 months?
Now he's defending the garbage code:

Bort posted:

Suffice it to say that this conversation isn't really applicable. None of you have handled our engine, so don't really have context for what you're talking about. And honestly, it's pretty irrelevant to the bigger picture anyway.

We use pointers and variables all the time. Aux scaling hasn't been one of those because it hasn't always been uniform. That's really all there is to say about that.
And now I'm more confused. What do pointers and variables have to do with setting constants in an include file instead of sprinkling them liberally throughout the code? And if they did originally have a bunch of different aux scaling factors for different abilities, then those factors should have been constants in an include file.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That explains so much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look don't question it ok, he is super good with BASIC on his Commodore 64 and was always "that smart computer kid" growing up.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

AotC posted:

My favorite is when they fix something but gently caress up their source control so it shows up again 6 months later.

Why can't it ever be powerhue? :qq:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Morglon posted:

That explains so much.
I've said over and over that STO's code is a spaghetti mess of crap that the devs literally have no idea how to manage, but they still manage to amaze me with each new revelation.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mondian posted:

Why can't it ever be powerhue? :qq:

That would be fixed instantly otherwise you could disguise your elite builds in the thriving and populous pvp climate.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

g0del posted:

Now he's defending the garbage code:
And now I'm more confused. What do pointers and variables have to do with setting constants in an include file instead of sprinkling them liberally throughout the code? And if they did originally have a bunch of different aux scaling factors for different abilities, then those factors should have been constants in an include file.

But it is now so make it a god drat constant.

Sheesh.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that oh maybe the abilities are written in an interpreted language like Lua or Groovy or maybe even a roll your own solution with xml or some custom scripting but if he's admitting that it is (a) in code and (b) has lots of copy pasta than... well, I can't say I'm surprised I guess.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cutedge posted:

But it is now so make it a god drat constant.
This. I get that he inherited garbage code, I don't blame him for that. But he already has to go fix every single instance of this to correct his typo, he could at least use this as a chance to re-do it right. Instead he's doubling down on the bad code.

On the other hand, it's possible based on his statements that he's not actually fixing every single instance, but simply running a global search/replace without actually checking each change that gets made. Which would partially explain why every time they fix something, something else breaks.

And sci users better hope that all the places that scale on aux actually use identical code so they get caught by his find/replace fix.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
XEAN UPDATE:

So I convinced a pubbie to join Xtern1ty, and, after talking to a few of the remaining members, actually got a fleet invite. Though Xean never logs on anymore, he still tries to control every aspect of his dying fleet, and apparently he threw a poo poo fit that someone was invited to Xtern1ty without his personal approval. He created a list of fleet members to kick for insubordination, and a high-ranking member got pissed, stole from the fleet bank, kicked a bunch of members, and left the fleet himself.

The legend continues

Edit: Apparently Xean only logs on to remind everyone he's still in charge, and he usually kicks a member just to prove his point.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Aleth posted:

Oh how the spergy have fallen.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

quote:

The devs said:

Q: What is this new “Threatening Stance” ability? Where did “Abandon Ship” go?
A: We have abandoned “Abandon Ship” – this ability was never very useful, and primarily only utilized to grief other players. We decided to remove it entirely, and replace it with the new ability: “Threatening Stance”
By toggling on this new ability, the player may choose at any time to begin causing additional Threat to any enemies they are in combat with. Threat is what determines how an NPC foe chooses their target – the more you generate, the more likely they are to attack you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB-CbSZZdw

Never loving forget. This is actually the video that spurred me to buy the game way back when.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Behold the Lord High Executioner intro music :yum:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Okay, there were a few good things about launch STO...

Also :lol: at the launch-era Galaxy model. And all the rest really.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god threatening stance is going to mean even more Tankbuild pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

Oh god threatening stance is going to mean even more Tankbuild pubbies.

I'll use it just to make sure i'm getting Reciprocity.

• Locked thread