Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

TheQat posted:

if your take is "he's made decisions to make his brand popular and wealthy" and his decisions have actually resulted in less wealth than just investing the money and sitting on it, i see that as relevant. sorry about your broken brains.

Oh no he could've had Y amount of private jets instead of X amount of private jets

pity the poor billionaire

quote:

the brand is separate from my point. he is quite well-known but it's widely infamy (60% negative nationwide, 16% approval among republicans, 70% disapproval among democrats) rather than any positive perception. lots of people are widely infamous, that doesn't mean they made good decisions getting there

"I welcome their hatred." -President Donald Trump at his inauguration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Kingfish posted:

It's an obvious narrative that voters will identify with. Trump chose hard work instead of taking the easy way out. His opposition is trying to smear him for it despite his fantastic success.

The man hasn't had a day of hard work in comparison to anyone from the working class. Yeah, it might work on those idiots that worship his every statement already, but most people would be offended that he even compared his pampered poo poo to hard work.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

It's an obvious narrative that voters will identify with. Trump chose hard work instead of taking the easy way out. His opposition is trying to smear him for it despite his fantastic success.

Wasn't he born in a fantastically rich and connected family?

As much as Trump policies have a modicum of common sense to them i find it unbelievable how much his supporters are willing to drink his cool aid while attacking bernie supporters who are doing the same thing. The cognitive dissonance is incredible.

Coylter has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Feb 24, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

Liberals, please feel free to comment on any of these things, or keep repeating yourselves.

The funniest one to me is the "easing tensions with Russia" one. I kind of find it hard to believe that he'd navigate the Ukraine fiasco all that well. Or the increasingly hostile relationship between Moscow and Turkey.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Coylter posted:

Wasn't he born in a fantastically rich and connected family?

That's the point. He realizes that he could have chosen to rest on his father's laurels, but he chose to work hard instead.

Talmonis posted:

The man hasn't had a day of hard work in comparison to anyone from the working class.

That's just your opinion, man. Trump already has the highest support among blue collar workers since FDR, and working class white collar workers probably think of their jobs as hard work.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Majorian posted:

He has no policy positions, only platitudes and racism.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

The funniest one to me is the "easing tensions with Russia" one. I kind of find it hard to believe that he'd navigate the Ukraine fiasco all that well. Or the increasingly hostile relationship between Moscow and Turkey.

He's gonna ease tensions with Russia by letting Putin have east Ukraine and stopping NATO expansion. Keeping Moscow and Turkey pissed at each other is good for America because it lets us support the YPG in Syria without the danger of Turkey dropping out of NATO for Russia.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Walls don't stop people, illegal immigrants are great for the economy, Muslim is a race, and the candidate leading the GOP primary by a massive margin is hated by everybody.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

That's the point. He realizes that he could have chosen to rest on his father's laurels, but he chose to work hard instead.

Point taken.

I think the left is making a huge mistake by attacking trump on his perceived "bigotry" instead of his actual policy ideas.

Trump is pulling quite an incredible trick in which he's moving the republican party to the left WHILE keeping the tea party people on his side. I have no idea how that can even work.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

T r a v i s posted:

Walls don't stop people, illegal immigrants are great for the economy, Muslim is a race, and the candidate leading the GOP primary by a massive margin is hated by everybody.

im glad you have come around the The Correct Opinions

Rubio 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

That's just your opinion, man. Trump already has the highest support among blue collar workers since FDR, and working class white collar workers probably think of their jobs as hard work.

I'm aware he has them eating out of his hand. They're never going to realize that this gaping rear end in a top hat they believe in for some reason, has never seen an ounce of hard times or struggle like they have. He will never understand what it's like to have to scramble to pay bills, skimp on medical care or clothes budgets. They've been sold a bill of goods about the Holy Job Creators getting where they are by working harder than they, and that's utterly false.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

He's gonna ease tensions with Russia by letting Putin have east Ukraine and stopping NATO expansion. Keeping Moscow and Turkey pissed at each other is good for America because it lets us support the YPG in Syria without the danger of Turkey dropping out of NATO for Russia.

Why do you think this is what he will do?

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Talmonis posted:

I'm aware he has them eating out of his hand. They're never going to realize that this gaping rear end in a top hat they believe in for some reason, has never seen an ounce of hard times or struggle like they have. He will never understand what it's like to have to scramble to pay bills, skimp on medical care or clothes budgets. They've been sold a bill of goods about the Holy Job Creators getting where they are by working harder than they, and that's utterly false.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

This isn't a response to that statement. I'm aware of his stated positions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lol:

quote:

We are the only country in the world whose immigration system puts the needs of other nations ahead of our own.

Trump's idiot manchild voters literally believe this.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Brannock posted:

Good lord why does this dumb take keep popping up. I remember you Qat, you're smarter than that.

But yeah! If he just shoved everything in an index fund and sat patiently for decades like a monk, he'd be slightly richer today!

The comically retarded index fund catchphrase is only remotely true if you do the math assuming that Trump started with 200 million in 1970. If you started with 1 million dollars in 1970, like Trump did (we'll even pretend that it wasn't a loan that had to be paid back with interest), then assuming you invested it in the S&P 500 index, that 1 million would be worth about 75 million as of 2013. Tack on the extra 200 million inheritance he got in 1999 and put every cent of that into the S&P 500 and it works out to about half a billion dollars today. Nobody who has said "just invest in index funds" will actually read this post.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Talmonis posted:

No presidential candidate has had to work as hard as they have and they all know that. They also know that this doesn't mean that Trump hasn't worked hard.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

Why do you think this is what he will do?

He says that he is good friends with Putin, and its the sort of obvious "out of the box" solution that someone who isn't overly interested in masturbatory realpolitik might employ.

e: as for turkey: he could easily just ignore it and let the DOS give him suggestions.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

ScrubLeague posted:

I'm not sure I've got it in me to vote for a billionaire who thinks a black person can't be president, Mexicans are rapists, and Muslims shouldn't be allowed in America. The president is supposed to be the president of the whole country, not just the rich whites. I want to vote for someone who provides the best possibility for the most people, Trump's entire campaign has been about limiting America to those who are already in a position to benefit from it, not the people who are currently underserved by it.

He didn't say that Mexicans were rapists, he said that some illegal immigrants were - He specifically said "Mexico has great people but they aren't sending their best"

80 PERCENT of Central American women are raped en route to the United States

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

lol:

Trump's idiot manchild voters literally believe this.

Yeah, a lot of European countries do that too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

He says that he is good friends with Putin, and its the sort of obvious "out of the box" solution that someone who isn't overly interested in masturbatory realpolitik might employ.

Actually, the realpolitik solution would be to give Eastern Ukraine to Russia in exchange for Russia's cooperation on other issues. But that's not the solution Trump will employ, because it's one that his own party will never support. I don't buy for a second that Trump is nuanced enough of a thinker to back this solution, either. For all his talk about being against the Iraq War, he's shown no sign that he's any less neoconservative than the rest of the field of GOP idiots.

T r a v i s posted:

Yeah, a lot of European countries do that too.

Illegal immigration is a net boon to the American economy. California's agricultural sector would collapse without migrant workers.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Serious question for the 'Trump left' - how is he going to do accomplish his protectionism/no tax shelters/anti-globalization agenda? To me this seems even less realistic than universal healthcare, considering it's not only outside of every political mainstream in this country, but also the entire first world?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

Actually, the realpolitik solution would be to give Eastern Ukraine to Russia in exchange for Russia's cooperation on other issues. But that's not the solution Trump will employ, because it's one that his own party will never support. I don't buy for a second that Trump is nuanced enough of a thinker to back this solution, either. For all his talk about being against the Iraq War, he's shown no sign that he's any less neoconservative than the rest of the field of GOP idiots.

He doesn't need his party's support to do poo poo w/r/t foreign policy unless they pass a bill he can't veto.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Zas posted:

Serious question for the 'Trump left' - how is he going to do accomplish his protectionism/no tax shelters/anti-globalization agenda? To me this seems even less realistic than universal healthcare, considering it's not only outside of every political mainstream in this country, but also the entire first world?

The USA is exceptional. Make America great again.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Zas posted:

Executive orders and a veto for TPP, and it is becoming consistently more mainstream and bipartisan.

e: I don't trust Hillary to veto TPP and neither should you.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Feb 24, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

He doesn't need his party's support to do poo poo w/r/t foreign policy unless they pass a bill he can't veto.

Hmmmm yes, nothing over the past eight years has suggested that Congress can hamper a president's foreign policy. Also the U.S. would probably be risking losing its Eastern European NATO allies by doing this, so no, it's not going to happen. Also Trump's a machismo-motivated egotistical idiot, so this would not be what he would do anyway.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Universal Healthcare is more likely to pass through Trump than any other candidate. He can spin it in a way that retard conservatives will want it and the DNC left could support it over moderate opposition.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

Illegal immigration is a net boon to the American economy. California's agricultural sector would collapse without migrant workers.

All of the studies that say this cite decades old studies that cite older decades old studies and only refger to immigration in general rather than illegal immigration. Find me a study that says otherwise and maybe I'll buy it.

And I want to know that it benefits the working and middle class, not just the "economy". All of the new growth over the last few decades has gone to the top 1% so who gives a poo poo if it's good for some nebulous "the economy" if that benefit doesn't go to the american people instead of oligarchs

Zas posted:

The mere fact that he's talking about wanting to solve it means that he's an improvement over Hillary Clinton, who is owned by the exact people who benefit from all that terrible crap and won't lift a finger.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Executive orders and a veto for TPP, and it is becoming consistently more mainstream and bipartisan.

e: I don't trust Hillary to veto TPP and neither should you.

You should probably trust Trump even less on this, given that letting it pass would be very much in his economic interests.

Unless you're assuming that he's more motivated by principle than by what benefits him economically, and if so, holy God.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

Hmmmm yes, nothing over the past eight years has suggested that Congress can hamper a president's foreign policy.

What are you referring to specifically? I honestly can't think of anything.

E: Congress has tried to block Obama from signing the Iran treaty but they can't.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Feb 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

You should probably trust Trump even less on this, given that letting it pass would be very much in his economic interests.

Unless you're assuming that he's more motivated by principle than by what benefits him economically, and if so, holy God.

I think he wants people to like him.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

Hmmmm yes, nothing over the past eight years has suggested that Congress can hamper a president's foreign policy. Also the U.S. would probably be risking losing its Eastern European NATO allies by doing this, so no, it's not going to happen. Also Trump's a machismo-motivated egotistical idiot, so this would not be what he would do anyway.

What does 'machismo-motivated' mean?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

This brings up another of Trump's great points - why are we being the policeman of the world for all these countries for free. They either pa us, or they lose american protection. So I don't think he'll let our eastern european nato "allies" determine US foreign policy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Saurus posted:

All of the studies that say this cite decades old studies that cite older decades old studies and only refger to immigration in general rather than illegal immigration. Find me a study that says otherwise and maybe I'll buy it.

Okay:

quote:

Decreasing the size of the unauthorized labor force would reduce the aggregate
level of economic production and slightly lower the income that accrues
to complementary, U.S.-owned factors of production, such as capital and
skilled labor. The lost income would be only partially offset by higher real
wages for U.S.-born and foreign-born, permanent resident workers employed
as hired farm laborers or in other lower paying occupations where unauthorized
workers were formerly more prevalent. In the long run, overall gross
national product accruing to the U.S.-born and to foreign-born, permanent
residents would fall by about 1 percent, compared with the base forecast.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

" higher real wages for U.S.-born and foreign-born, permanent resident workers employed
workers were formerly more prevalent."

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
how much gdp do we gain with the wall and its staffing and maintenance

answer: huge%

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

T r a v i s posted:

What does 'machismo-motivated' mean?

it's tumblr-bullshit like "toxic masculinity". they dislike men who still act like men instead of self-flagellating for their crime of privilege

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

" higher real wages for U.S.-born and foreign-born, permanent resident workers employed
workers were formerly more prevalent."

It would raise wages for one sector of workers, but not offset the overall economic hit the U.S. economy would take. Did you not even read the section I quoted? (you don't have to answer that, I know you didn't)

The Kingfish posted:

What are you referring to specifically? I honestly can't think of anything.

Climate change is a pretty big one.

The Saurus posted:

it's tumblr-bullshit like "toxic masculinity". they dislike men who still act like men instead of self-flagellating for their crime of privilege

Oh this is spectacular.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Nope

It makes one big bubble for "residents" and then warns about a 1% drop in "overall GNP" for that bubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Majorian posted:

So we need to never offer amnesty and instead create a perpetual caste of second-class migrant workers, got it, or the American economy and CA agricultural sector will collapse.

you know thats cruel. we should recognize their human rights, and give them a vote, but not a full vote, lets just say 3/5ths of a vote to be fair. "More Than Half, More Than Fair" can be the slogan for the campaign, you're welcome to that one, its free

• Locked thread