Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Coincidentally I've got a cbf125 in decent nick that I'm looking to shift for the lower end of that in the next month or so if you want to have a look?

Where are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Central Lancs.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009
Ah, appreciate the thought but I'm in Cambridge and hopefully won't need to travel that far for a bike. I'll keep it in mind though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Haha, no way, I actually rode it to Cambridge last year to visit family. :yayclod:

That was in June though, and hairy enough even then. The crosswinds on the three lane A roads you have down there were crazy, and at this point I'm so used to riding a heavy bike I'd probably massively overcompensate and fall off the 125.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Trauma Tank posted:

I went and took a test ride of a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 yesterday at a dealer, and I think I really like it. They're also really tempting me to buy one new, as secondhand ones of the current gen with ABS and all the other things I want if I'm spending a decent amount of money on a bike don't come up very often in this area(East of England). They also have a very convincing offer of straightforward 0% finance on the Strom at the moment.

I kinda want a cross-check to make sure I'm not crazy right now. Here's things I'm looking for in a bike:

Comfort to ride all day, go touring etc.
ABS/traction control, if I'm buying a newer bike.
Panniers/storage for touring.
Upright seating position. I love my 690 SMC, but it isn't good at long distances.
Decent amount of power to lug all that stuff and my fat rear end.
Low on the attractive-to-steal scale, which it certainly seems to be as my insurance for a brand new Strom would be only £15 more a month than my 2008 690 SMC insured for 1/3rd the price.

I've been cross-shopping the adventure tourers for this for a while and kind of narrowed it down to the Versys 1000 or V-Strom 1000, and went with the Strom basically because I like the look of it more and (I think?) the features it comes with. I honestly don't remember the Versys very well and have been looking at Stroms for the last month or so.

Please sanity check me!

Seems reasonable to me. Checks all the boxes you're looking for and they seem like fine boxes to me, as long as we overlook the fact that there's no "is a superduke" box and no "makes my heart feel joy" box.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trauma Tank posted:

I went and took a test ride of a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 yesterday at a dealer, and I think I really like it. They're also really tempting me to buy one new, as secondhand ones of the current gen with ABS and all the other things I want if I'm spending a decent amount of money on a bike don't come up very often in this area(East of England). They also have a very convincing offer of straightforward 0% finance on the Strom at the moment.

I kinda want a cross-check to make sure I'm not crazy right now. Here's things I'm looking for in a bike:

Comfort to ride all day, go touring etc.
ABS/traction control, if I'm buying a newer bike.
Panniers/storage for touring.
Upright seating position. I love my 690 SMC, but it isn't good at long distances.
Decent amount of power to lug all that stuff and my fat rear end.
Low on the attractive-to-steal scale, which it certainly seems to be as my insurance for a brand new Strom would be only £15 more a month than my 2008 690 SMC insured for 1/3rd the price.

I've been cross-shopping the adventure tourers for this for a while and kind of narrowed it down to the Versys 1000 or V-Strom 1000, and went with the Strom basically because I like the look of it more and (I think?) the features it comes with. I honestly don't remember the Versys very well and have been looking at Stroms for the last month or so.

Please sanity check me!

Seems reasonable - you can also consider the other options in the adv space (multistrada, 1190 adventure, S1000XR, etc) depending on how much you're willing to spend. I haven't ridden the new v-storm, maybe it's not as terminally boring as the old one. The Aprilia Caponord is probably worth checking out too, they're wonderful riding and sounding bikes, but sort of a dark horse and as a result available very cheap.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've been wondering about those newer Capo 1200s as a old man tourer. The local Ape shop is selling their demos for under 8000, as new with warranty. Seems like a reason to demo one.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

builds character posted:

Seems reasonable to me. Checks all the boxes you're looking for and they seem like fine boxes to me, as long as we overlook the fact that there's no "is a superduke" box and no "makes my heart feel joy" box.

Thanks! The Superduke is a bike I'd love to own, but rates pretty high up there in the stealability matrix. I might be very interested in the new Superduke GT in a few years time. As for the second point, well, motorcycling is fun on its own, and I don't think I'll miss too much about the SMC as I don't do any of the hooligany things I should really be using it for. Perhaps that says more about me being an old man at heart.

Z3n posted:

Seems reasonable - you can also consider the other options in the adv space (multistrada, 1190 adventure, S1000XR, etc) depending on how much you're willing to spend. I haven't ridden the new v-storm, maybe it's not as terminally boring as the old one. The Aprilia Caponord is probably worth checking out too, they're wonderful riding and sounding bikes, but sort of a dark horse and as a result available very cheap.

The price factors were mostly things that ruled those bikes out for me. The Aprilia Caponord hadn't even come up in my cross-shopping, probably as I'm not aware of any Aprilia dealers anywhere near me. That is a nice looking adv bike in yellow though.

Is the Strom as boring as you guys are making it out to be? I had decent amounts of fun on it yesterday, only notable differences being that it's not as grunty pulling off as my SMC and the sound isn't as good, but it had a stock exhaust.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 23, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I've been wondering about those newer Capo 1200s as a old man tourer. The local Ape shop is selling their demos for under 8000, as new with warranty. Seems like a reason to demo one.

I was super impressed with the one I test rode during the leadup to the purchase of the SuperDuke. I haven't explored long term reliability but it has all the bells and whistles....

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Babunar posted:

"you lads"... I'm 24, mechanically sympathetic, not a lad. Thanks for the pointers. I'm also 5'8"-9" ish so maybe a Grom wouldn't look so silly?

The import (Herald) I posted has a 2 year parts warranty.

As you say though a secondhand Honda or Yamaha would probably be the sensible choice, despite there being something appealing about a new bike. Between my dad and me we're pretty good at buying used vehicles and looking after them though.

Looks like I could get a Honda/Yamaha 125 in decent nick for 1.2-1.5k which would mean more to spend on decent gear - although the 2k I stated is for the bike, I've got extra for gear and insurance.

Thanks again.

http://www.farnhamhonda.co.uk/locator/617471/2013-13-reg-honda-msx-125.aspx - TALK ME DOWN

I have a CBR125 and I've ridden a grom and I can tell you the CBR is substantially nicer and more bike-like to ride. There is no objective reason for you to buy a grom over a random learner 125.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You can't deny that Honda's have a (wrong & bad) rap for being boring though, especially on CA.

Only because they lack "Character™"

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Trauma Tank posted:

I'd wager the SMC has one of the highest theft risks of any bike.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

blindjoe posted:

I finally went and sat on that GS500f and liked the ergonomics, but that one had 40k km, a bunch of junky stuff like coolant gauge, and sounded like a bag of rocks when idling.
It made me think I don't have enough time to buy things off craigslist or fix up old junky things.

What new bikes/slightly used bikes I might buy at a dealer have similar ergos to a GS500? I know I could probably get a better deal on private sale, but I have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife at home and have no time to myself.

Look into Ninja 500s as well, they're essentially a watercooled GS500f that's shaped a bit differently.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

There's also the CB650f which looks neat if you're going to look at hondas

4000km into my CB650f, can't recommend it enough.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

I ended up getting a new fz 07. It's pretty nice. I'll post pics when it's sunny out tomorrow. Got it for six thousand. Already put 200 miles on it since yesterday. If anyone in Ventura county wants to cruise around pm me, I don't know anyone in this state. Cheers thread

Good man! Join the club. I've got 8600km on my white '15 and love it to death. The only good p-twin out there, and yes it is a very good p-twin you naysaying twits.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I was quoted ~$5k out the door for a new "scratched" 2015 R3 at a local dealer. I'm taking the MSF over the weekend and don't even have a helmet yet. Am I dumb for not jumping on that? What are comparable bikes in that price range?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

concise posted:

I was quoted ~$5k out the door for a new "scratched" 2015 R3 at a local dealer. I'm taking the MSF over the weekend and don't even have a helmet yet. Am I dumb for not jumping on that? What are comparable bikes in that price range?

Don't buy a new bike for 5k when you're just going to sell it for ~3k next year so you can get a bigger one.

alr
May 14, 2009

concise posted:

Chichevache posted:

Don't buy a new bike for 5k when you're just going to sell it for ~3k next year so you can get a bigger one.

Yeah, that.

Fwiw I bought a brand new R3 as my first bike last August. I love it, but due to the licensing laws in Australia, I won't be able to upgrade for another three years anyway. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy a new R3. If I had to recommend someone else buy a first bike, I'd recommend a used Ninja 300 or CBR 300R if you want to keep the small displacement, sportbike style. Also completely personal opinion - if I was looking at "scratched" bikes I'd be looking at used bikes anyway, and saving a couple grand in the process

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I wasn't able to test ride the BMW yesterday, was also told an earful on how that bike is actually awful and literary hitler. I wont beleive it until its navigation system tells me to take the third reich,

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ElMaligno posted:

literary hitler

This just means there's no bad grammar in the user manual.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This just means there's no bad grammar in the user manual.

Actually this is an incorrect usage of "literary hitler" as it is usually used to mean something is bad. However if my friend used "grammar nazi" I would have nodded and accepted the fact that there are few to no typos on the motorcycle plastics or on the user manual. Then in part that would mean that your sadly made joke would actually make sense.

Also don’t mind me I’m practicing my goose stepping once emperor trump ascends the golden throne in 2017.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
...did you really not notice that you typed "literary" twice instead of "literally"? Smh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

...did you really not notice that you typed "literary" twice instead of "literally"? Smh

Yup, crikey.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Stay away from the Aprilla RS125, it is the very definition of temperamental Italian sports bike and is popular among you lads who de-restrict them to get the full 30odd bhp but don't give it the tender care it needs so it will turn into a money pit or an expensive garage storage system.

Just so you know this advice is pretty out of date now - the two-stroke RS125 hasn't been made since 2012 and they stopped actively selling it in the UK at least a couple of years before that. The RS4 125 which replaces it is a solid bike but scandalously average in performance and handling considering its ancestry, so should probably still be avoided but for different reasons.

Z3n posted:

I was super impressed with the one I test rode during the leadup to the purchase of the SuperDuke. I haven't explored long term reliability but it has all the bells and whistles....

I'm fairly sure nobody in the world has ever bought one so long-term reliability is still locked in the box with that cat.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have been awake for 18 hours, I have 5 more hours to go, I have drunk way too much coffee and I have been poo poo posting to keep myself awake.

Please gimme a break.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Please steal a nap before you start hallucinating. That poo poo's not healthy yo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

I have been awake for 18 hours, I have 5 more hours to go, I have drunk way too much coffee and I have been poo poo posting to keep myself awake.

Please gimme a break.

I mean you really don't need to ask me, but yeah, I guess you can go get some sleep if you really think you need it. Or go for a ride to perk yourself up, get them synapses firing and what not.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Don’t worry guys I am OK, I had 9 hours of good sleep before and this is not the first nor the last time I have been awake for this amount of time.

Also I'm working so I can't nap.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

alr posted:

Yeah, that.

Fwiw I bought a brand new R3 as my first bike last August. I love it, but due to the licensing laws in Australia, I won't be able to upgrade for another three years anyway. If I had to do it again, I'd still buy a new R3. If I had to recommend someone else buy a first bike, I'd recommend a used Ninja 300 or CBR 300R if you want to keep the small displacement, sportbike style. Also completely personal opinion - if I was looking at "scratched" bikes I'd be looking at used bikes anyway, and saving a couple grand in the process

What lovely state do you live in that it takes 3 years?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Babunar posted:

I'm in the UK and doing my CBT in a month or so - that'll get me onto a 125 with L plates. I've had a car license (and car) for 7+ years but want to pick up a bike for fun/commuting.
My budget is about £2k (plus gear and insurance) (unless that'll only get me poo poo)

I've been doing a bit of research and landed on:

http://www.haywards.co.uk/herald-classic-125cc.html - new, Chinese import (I think a Sinnis?) with stickers on it.
Pros: it's a local dealer, a colleague bought his current bike (Royal Enfield) from them and says they're decent.
Cons: it's a cheap import that probably won't last long at all - but as it will be my first bike maybe that's not so bad?

very long autotrader link - I just found out about the MSX125 (Grom) and kinda want one, it looks like it'll push me up to 2.5k but I think for the right one I could handle that...

comedy option: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycle-dealers/2-wheel-junkie-chatteris-dpp-711529 lexmoto

Of course there's also more "traditional" used bikes, the reason I haven't posted any is I haven't got the first clue where to look and what to look for.

Anyone got any pointers for me please? I'm not in a rush.

Got myself a Sinnis apache as my first bike, £1.7K with 2 years warranty and all that jazz.

Honestly depends on what you can get around you, how long you're planning to ride on the cbt etc.
If you can pick up a used honda/yamahaa/suzuki for around 1-1.2K i'd go with one of those to be honest, they're all pretty much the same.

Also talk to the people you do your CBT with, see what they have for geared bikes, what they think etc, the guys i did mine with where incredibly helpful.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Veredict of test riding a F800GS:

I really want that bike.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Shimrod posted:

What lovely state do you live in that it takes 3 years?

That's going to be Victoria. Ask him about his hi-vis vest, and watch the PTSD cringing.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I really want that bike.

They are really nice- made my older f650gs seem agricultural in comparison. I think the 800 is a better buy than the current 650/700, especially if it isn't your first bike.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno posted:

I really want that bike.

To expand on this a bit more

What I like:
1) The bike feels light and responsive.
2) The engine has the right amount of punchiness.
3) Goddammed quiet.
4) Heated grips felt good.

What I didn't like:
1) The engine also feels a bit weak.
2) Because its quiet it also sounds weak.
3) Having to stand on the balls of my feet is a weird sensation
4) I was kinda nervous on the ride, so I didn't enjoy the ride as much as I wanted.

Im going to test ride it a second time tomorrow and to be quite honest I think this is the bike im going to buy.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Isolationist posted:

That's going to be Victoria. Ask him about his hi-vis vest, and watch the PTSD cringing.

Oh, that hi-vis vest is actually a thing? I was hoping it wasn't. If I plan on riding down there do I need to get one? Heading to PI this year.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Shimrod posted:

Oh, that hi-vis vest is actually a thing? I was hoping it wasn't. If I plan on riding down there do I need to get one? Heading to PI this year.

I think the vest is only for L platers unless Victoria has a new fun-sapping scheme in the works.

Also lol at riding down for PI. You'll see cops crawling every inch of twisty road from the NSW border down handing out fines for things like accelerating to 80 a few metres ahead of an 80 zone. Ask me how I know!

alr
May 14, 2009

Shimrod posted:

Yeeeep, though as above it's only needed for your L plates. At least filtering is finally legal here now once you're off your L's.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Well thank god for the L plate part. I know there'll be lots of cops, I plan on being down there quite easily - will probably head to Tassy and ride around it first, plan on avoiding the main rush down.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

F800GS I test rode yesterday got sold earlier today. So im back to square one, so Im planning on looking at more motorcycles... including an... Ulysses...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you go and test ride one, make sure you're pronouncing it correctly: the first sound in "Ulysses" is "you."