Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

In metro's defense the Crenshaw line was already well under construction before Kroenke even announced his proposal

Metro has also said since the move became official, that they will look at building a connector from the stadium to the two nearest stops

Also, the expo line was hilariously hosed up. I remember when I was on a campus visit at USC they were talking about how it was less than a year from opening.

It opened the week before I graduated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dan Snyder could probably get them to actually dismantle an entire Metro line if he promised the stadium would be in DC. There's a weird fixation on the stadium being in DC. Like Landover is in some other universe or something.

Although Metro will probably dismantle itself anyhow.

Snyder gets all the parking fees he desires.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Sash! posted:

Dan Snyder could probably get them to actually dismantle an entire Metro line if he promised the stadium would be in DC. There's a weird fixation on the stadium being in DC. Like Landover is in some other universe or something.

The death march from the metro to FedEx is crazy. They could always renovate or rebuild at RFK after United move next year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, la metro is overall pretty good. Certainly less angering than every transit agency in the Bay Area.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Rick posted:

I have no idea how much these jobs pay but planning highways has to be awful on the one hand because you're expected to deliver on the impossible, but, also cool because no one ever really expects you to accomplish these things.

planning pays a little less than engineering (my field) until you get to very high levels. also from my perspective it sucks rear end because you work your butt off for years on projects and then decide no build.

Zypher posted:

Yeah, the Expo line will open all the way to 4th & Colorado sometime this year. They re-routed the poors through Culver City so that no station comes within a mile of their precious 90210

Have they announced anything connecting the Inglewood stadium with the Green line? Lol at anyone who wants to walk from Hawthorne / Lennox to the stadium.

the santa monica thing owns because the city is 100% not ready in any way for the increased pedestrian traffic

The Glumslinger posted:

Metro has also said since the move became official, that they will look at building a connector from the stadium to the two nearest stops

there's a vacant lot at la brea/florence that im sure they could very easily buy and build a small transit plaza to bus people to the stadium. no clue what they would do at florence/west

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, la metro is overall pretty good. Certainly less angering than every transit agency in the Bay Area.

lmao octa

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

the santa monica thing owns because the city is 100% not ready in any way for the increased pedestrian traffic

If St. Patrick's Day is any indication what Main Street in Santa Monica is going to be like now, I know I will be avoiding it from now until forever.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sash! posted:

And yet, for all of its unreliability, it still owns that Metro exists. Reading you San Diego/LA posters and imagining driving to work every day gives me the drat willies. Like, what is even the point of living in a city if you can't get around without a car? Going on a work trip to Dallas was so depressing, nobody walks anywhere. May as well be in a gigantic suburb.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

MechaFrogzilla posted:

And yet, for all of its unreliability, it still owns that Metro exists. Reading you San Diego/LA posters and imagining driving to work every day gives me the drat willies. Like, what is even the point of living in a city if you can't get around without a car? Going on a work trip to Dallas was so depressing, nobody walks anywhere. May as well be in a gigantic suburb.

Different strokes, dude.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Like, what is even the point of living in a city if you can't get around without a car?

There are many places where money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chinatown posted:

There are many places where money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Understood, but your mother can only be in so many places at once.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MechaFrogzilla posted:

May as well be in a gigantic suburb.

Have you been to Los Angeles? Cuz you nailed it.

Anyway there are different types of traffic. It takes me 45 minutes to get to work but it's a leisurely drive over a small mountain/big hill through a gorgeous canyon. Talk radio and quiet time.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chichevache posted:

Understood, but your mother can only be in so many places at once.
:thurman:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Sprawl is real.

San Diego (and LA) are simply too spread out to not have a car

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ahh yes, good ol OCTA.
Where you're always a hour+ wait away to travel 5 miles in any direction.
And if you have to transfer to another bus you better just clear your schedule for the entire day.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 26, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ross Angeles posted:

Sprawl is real.

In LA you have to have a car to get to the public transit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

Sprawl is real.

Owning a car is different than a long commute everyday with one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like my car and driving my car daily and rocking out to music and making it do vroom vroom noises as I traverse distances with ease.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
My one regret about never moving out of Pittsburgh is not living somewhere where the weather is nice enough to ride my Moto Guzzi 365

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chinatown posted:

I like my car and driving my car daily and rocking out to music and making it do vroom vroom noises as I traverse distances with ease.

I listen to 1090 and 1360 in the mornings and want to drive off the Coronado bridge

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chinatown posted:

If you didn't grow up using public transportation like I did not, not even the school bus, the idea of being in public every morning and every night sounds way worse than traffic.

I don't like to touch things like the insides of busses or trains.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ross Angeles posted:

I listen to 1090 and 1360 in the mornings and want to drive off the Coronado bridge

1090 is real, real bad.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

If you didn't grow up using public transportation like I did not, not even the school bus, the idea of being in public every morning and every night sounds way worse than traffic.

What a delightfully precious and sheltered life. Yes, the world *should* change to fit your tendencies. Taxpayer stadiums for everyone!!!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

No one takes the blue line because it goes through places that they only know about from hip hop songs or places that they only hear about with the word "riots" following it and it's like, how the hell else are you going to get from long beach to downtown

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

I grew up in the Denver suburbs and never used public transportation till my early 20s, only because I never needed to and it wasn't as widely available back then as it is now.

Living in Chicago these days, I heavily rely on public transportation to get around. It doesn't bother me at all because I am comfortable in my own skin and not a huge baby :D

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
I had a friend that used to live in Mission Valley and we would just hop on the trolley to get to Qualcomm and PetCo. It was super convenient, we also didn't have to worry about a DD.

Welp, that's my San Diego public transit experience.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

No one takes the blue line because it goes through places that they only know about from hip hop songs or places that they only hear about with the word "riots" following it and it's like, how the hell else are you going to get from long beach to downtown

Through the secret tunnels underground

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If there are, let's say, 50 cities that would want and could support an NFL team, if they could get one; but only a subset are willing to pay taxpayer money to build a stadium, then the exact number of cities willing to pay does have an economic effect. It's basic macroeconomics: supply (there are a limited supply of NFL teams) and demand (there is a limited demand for NFL teams).

Lower the demand by setting a minimum taxpayer contribution, and you lower the amount of money that the NFL can effectively demand from those taxpayers. Think of it as a sort of bidding war: the more bidders, the higher the final bid will be.

Of course, it's not that straightforward at all; it's actually even more in the bidders' (cities') favor, because the NFL doesn't only care about how much taxpayer money a given city will contribute. They also care about the size of the city's media market, the likelihood that they can sell tons of seat licenses and season tickets, and (since the NFL is beholden to the owners collectively), owners will tend to reject proposals to move a team to a city that is currently part of their media market/domain. So for example, the San Antonio proposal likely sees a lot of pushback from the Cowboys and Texans, because together they basically split the entire Texas media market, and acceding to a team in San Antonio almost certainly means losing some of that media market to the newcomer.

So it's not as simple as, well, if San Diego or Oakland won't pay up, someone somewhere will. It has to be a city the NFL is actually interested in, and that is a fairly limited number of cities: and the more of those cities refuse to pay up (or refuse to pay more than X, where X is less than the total cost of the stadium), the lower the final taxpayers' bid needs to be in order to get the team deal done.

Every city that figures out that paying $500M+ for an NFL stadium in taxpayer money is a economically losing proposition adds to the overall pressure pushing downward on taxpayer contributions to NFL stadiums. It might not be very visible, but it's a real pressure.

e. Of course, the limitation on the supply side acts as a counter: if there is only going to be one NFL team available for the next 20 years, that puts pressure on cities to pay up or miss the opportunity. But this year we had at least two and maybe three teams obviously available; the Rams found a buyer, the Chargers and Raiders did not. Let's see what happens next year, but my guess is, a huge lucrative taxpayer-supported deal just isn't going to be so forthcoming, because any city who finds they've underbid for one team probably still gets a shot at bidding for the other.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 26, 2016

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Ross Angeles posted:

This post has nothing to do with traffic or commuting

Seriously, as a goon you should have slightly more discriminating tastes. Like listening to SiriusXM's NFL station focus on the Giants and Jets for 90% of the show.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
None of this would be a problem if the league just abandoned California, like they should have long ago.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Parmesan Basil posted:

None of this would be a problem if the league just abandoned California, like they should have long ago.

The Niners can stay because the Techbros deserve a garbage team.

San Antonio Raiders, Las Vegas Chargers, The Inevitable Return of the St Louis Rams.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Parmesan Basil posted:

Why? Because the NFL doesn't want money from the country's most populous state?

California has about 12% of the country's population (37M people), and a GDP of over 2.4 trillion dollars, which is almost 14% of the US GDP.

Since there are 32 NFL teams, California ought to have about 12-14% of them, which would be 3.8 to 4.5 teams. With the Rams moving in, if we keep the Niners, Raiders, and Chargers, we'll be about right.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Why? Because the NFL doesn't want money from the country's most populous state?

Don't take anything Parm says seriously. He's descended to a Chiche level of troll

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

Don't take anything Parm says seriously. He's descended to a Chiche level of troll

How dare you. I thought we were friends.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

I took the blue line basically the full distance (5th street in Long Beach to Pico in LA) probably every other week and yeah gently caress that I'm not getting off that train.

I used to visit my girlfriend when we were both freshman in college without cars and I would take the OCTA 60 to Long Beach State, the LB Metro 96 to the blue line. Blue line to Pico, and then catch a bus back south a bit down Figueroa to USC. It'd take 3.5-4 hours and cost me like 6 bucks, vs 1-1.5 hours on the 22/405/110. If I had a car no way I would have done that bus commute though.

That 2 mile walk from the green line would suck but would probably as fast as driving and trying to park or taking a shuttle.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Of course, the limitation on the supply side acts as a counter: if there is only going to be one NFL team available for the next 20 years, that puts pressure on cities to pay up or miss the opportunity. But this year we had at least two and maybe three teams obviously available; the Rams found a buyer, the Chargers and Raiders did not. Let's see what happens next year, but my guess is, a huge lucrative taxpayer-supported deal just isn't going to be so forthcoming, because any city who finds they've underbid for one team probably still gets a shot at bidding for the other.

The Rams don't count, as Kroenke wanted to go to LA to build his Kroenkedome. St Louis offered hundreds of millions to stop him, but Kroenke was too rich to be stopped. No other city could've courted him. The only two teams "available" are the same two teams that have been for quite some time. They are the only two teams struggling to get a deal done in their host cities. The vast majority of teams have no difficulty in securing public funding for stadiums, sometimes ridiculous amounts of money. Once the Raiders and Chargers get locked up, that's going to be it for a while. Taxpayers have spent almost $5bn on stadiums since 2000, so it's not like the well is drying up. And it should be noted that prior to the Rams, the last NFL relocation was in 1997.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Kroenkhouse

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ammanas posted:

What a delightfully precious and sheltered life. Yes, the world *should* change to fit your tendencies. Taxpayer stadiums for everyone!!!

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

I grew up in the Denver suburbs and never used public transportation till my early 20s, only because I never needed to and it wasn't as widely available back then as it is now.

Living in Chicago these days, I heavily rely on public transportation to get around. It doesn't bother me at all because I am comfortable in my own skin and not a huge baby :D

I have been on the El in Chicago probably like 50 times and the subway in NY roughly the same amount. I was just saying I prefer traffic because of my precious life that was indeed delightful. High five for getting my post!

No wait I don't want to touch you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like being in my private tinted cabin with control over the temperature, smells (my farts), and music.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Chinatown posted:

I like being in my private tinted cabin with control over the temperature, smells (my farts), and music.

Please stop because you're making me miss my dope rear end ride that I once owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I miss the smell of my car farts as well

• Locked thread